Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

2014 "Check Your UA Itineraries for Schedule Changes (and What to Do After One)"

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

2014 "Check Your UA Itineraries for Schedule Changes (and What to Do After One)"

Search this Thread

Old Jan 18, 2014, 9:56 pm

Programs: UA 1K 1.1MM, CX Diam 1.0MM, Bonvoy LT Titanium, Hertz PC, MGM Pearl
Originally Posted by kenn0223
I'd just ask them to put you on the 90 min long DL direct flight. It sounds like it would save you over 5 hours.
Huh?
Old Jan 18, 2014, 9:57 pm

Programs: Honors LT Diamond; United 1K; Hertz PC
Originally Posted by gtolj2
Kind of what I figured, but in theory, if I checked bags (which I won't) wouldn't I need to collect them and recheck?
I've had a few ridiculously long connections -- most were actually on NW (5+ hours at DTW...gotta love EAS airports) but I've had at least one on CO... and in those cases, since it wasn't a stopover, my bags were checked to my ultimate destination without any questions whatsoever.

You should still try your luck with reservations though...
Old Jan 18, 2014, 10:10 pm

Programs: Delta GM, Marriott Gold, SPG Gold, Hilton Gold, Hertz Five Star
Originally Posted by lincolnjkc
I've had a few ridiculously long connections -- most were actually on NW (5+ hours at DTW...gotta love EAS airports) but I've had at least one on CO... and in those cases, since it wasn't a stopover, my bags were checked to my ultimate destination without any questions whatsoever.

Thanks, I was referring more to whether UA would classify this as a stopover or connection, and I won't be checking any bags. I'll give them a call tomorrow and post an update!
Old Jan 18, 2014, 10:21 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: DREAD Gold; UA 1.035MM; Bonvoy Au-197; PCC Elite+; CCC Elite+; MSC C-12; CWC Au-197; WoH Dis
I was referring more to whether UA would classify this as a stopover or connection
That distinction only exists when initially booking or making voluntary changes.
Old Jan 19, 2014, 12:33 pm

Schedule change creates impossible connection on reward itinerary - looking for input

The short of it: I logged into .bomb today to review a saver business class reward itinerary that I have scheduled in April. Lo and behold, a schedule change reduces a domestic connection from 50 minutes to 1 minute!. What are my options when calling UA to ask how they intend to correct this, re: getting around the currently limited saver award availability for alternative flights?

The long of it:

The affected segments were originally:
UA (ALB) 5:18 PM (CLE) 6:36 PM - ERJ-145, Economy
UA (CLE) 7:25 PM (YYZ) 8:24 PM - ERJ-145, Economy
AC (YYZ) 11:10 PM (LHR - HEATHROW) 11:05 AM (+1) - 788, Business

The change was:
UA (ALB) 5:35 PM (CLE) 7:07 PM - ERJ-145, Economy
UA (CLE) 7:08 PM (YYZ) 8:22 PM - Q300, Economy (ugh)

So, if I could make the impossible connection in CLE, I'd have no problem connecting with the AC flight in YYZ. When I took a look at 'saver' alternatives, the flights that KVS is bringing up are all awful - basically, I need to fly out of ALB in early morning in order to make a 11pm flight from YYZ (and most add a additional connection).

Will this impossible change give me access to standard award inventory that is closer to the original flight times, or will UA not budge on that point?

Just looking for sage advice before I give them a call this week to discuss my options.

Thanks!
Old Jan 19, 2014, 12:46 pm

Programs: DREAD Gold; UA 1.035MM; Bonvoy Au-197; PCC Elite+; CCC Elite+; MSC C-12; CWC Au-197; WoH Dis
Originally Posted by grimjack2k
Will this impossible change give me access to standard award inventory that is closer to the original flight times, or will UA not budge on that point?
When United makes a change that makes the flight impossible, you can pretty much get on any reasonable flights. They will open up award space if necessary. Just make sure you have the flights you want before you call, and they'll make it happen.
Old Jan 19, 2014, 12:47 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K1.75MM, Hyatt Globalist, abandoned Marriott LTT (RIP SPG), Hertz PC
Do you want AC metal? You could probably get on a UA 1-stop.
Old Jan 19, 2014, 12:51 pm

Originally Posted by UA-NYC
Do you want AC metal? You could probably get on a UA 1-stop.
Well, I can't say that there isn't some appeal in taking a brand new 787 across the pond in AC's new international business class seats, so I'm going to do my utmost to preserve that AC segment at (almost) all costs I don't mind a little extra seat time and the 3 versus 2 flights...
Old Jan 19, 2014, 12:56 pm

I don't mind a little extra seat time and the 3 versus 2 flights...
It looks like there an IAD-YYZ flight that would give you an hour in YYZ (since you didn't provide dates, I just picked one at random). There's also an ORD-YYZ that may not be too bad.
Old Jan 19, 2014, 1:05 pm

Originally Posted by mahasamatman
It looks like there an IAD-YYZ flight that would give you an hour in YYZ (since you didn't provide dates, I just picked one at random). There's also an ORD-YYZ that may not be too bad.
Sorry for the omission. The date is April 7th. My criteria are (in order of importance):

Thanks for the help - I'm usually pretty good on the booking/rebooking tasks, but I relish the help of the top notch UA gurus
        Old Jan 19, 2014, 1:06 pm
        FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Plat, Marriott Gold
        UA will give you the next earlier ALB-CLE to make the connection legal, regardless of award space.
        Old Jan 19, 2014, 1:15 pm

Don't want to depart ALB any earlier that 12:00EST.
        The only options appear to be
        12:00-13:19 ALB-ORD
        16:29-19:02 ORD-YYZ
        or
        14:29-14:11 ALB-IAD
        20:46-22:11 IAD-YYZ
        The flight through ORD is on CR7s, so there are F seats there.
        Old Jan 19, 2014, 2:00 pm

Programs: Delta GM, Marriott Gold, SPG Gold, Hilton Gold, Hertz Five Star
        Originally Posted by lincolnjkc

Update here: Just got off the phone with Barbie (yes I'm serious) at UA reservations, and she changed my flights to a 8.5hr layover at EWR, which should be enough to go into NYC. About 10 minutes on the line, and everything was taken care of free of charge. Wow!
        Old Jan 19, 2014, 2:16 pm
        FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA*1K MM
        Do they no longer highlight in Red for small changes? I know I had several stealth aircraft as well as 5-10 minute changes this weekend, but none were highlighted.
        Old Jan 19, 2014, 2:23 pm

Programs: UA 1K
        Update here: Just got off the phone with Barbie (yes I'm serious) at UA reservations, and she changed my flights to a 8.5hr layover at EWR, which should be enough to go into NYC. About 10 minutes on the line, and everything was taken care of free of charge. Wow!
        IME, if what you want to do is logical, agents will always do it for you following a schedule change. And that's how it should be, I think.

Originally Posted by rankourabu
        Do they no longer highlight in Red for small changes? I know I had several stealth aircraft as well as 5-10 minute changes this weekend, but none were highlighted.
        Basically every upcoming I have had a schedule change this weekend, but they all got highlighted. Of course, not sure if there have been others that I haven't noticed.

Emails would be nice.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.