Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

MileagePlus Million Mile (and Beyond) Flyer Benefits

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Jan 3, 2014, 6:04 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: WineCountryUA
MM roll call thread: UA Million Miler/Multi-Million Miler Roll Call Thread

UA offers a way to earn status based on accumulative (lifetime) flight.
Lifetime Premier status

The Million Miler program grants lifetime Premier status to all qualifying members, even if they fly less in the future. Lifetime miles are earned based on the flight distance of United- and United Express®-operated flights. Basic Economy tickets do not earn lifetime flight miles.
(How are "lifetime miles" calculated for MileagePlus?)
Here are the status benefits of the Million Miler program:

You can earn (the old fashioned way, same thresholds) higher status, but with MMers status, you will never fall below the MMer status level.
Annual companion Premier status

As a Million Miler, you may invite your spouse or significant other to share your current Premier status. This membership is nontransferable and will automatically renew each year unless you let us know otherwise.

See companion eligibility terms and conditions at the bottom of this page for more details.

To select or review your companion or to change your companion for the next calendar year, visit united.com/MMcompanion.
Frequently Asked Questions

Do I get a "permanent / lifetime" card?

No, you get an annual card, as everyone else does. It will have an MM insignia. A permanent card would not make sense because you may earn a higher status than your MMer status.

Do I need to do anything to maintain MMer status? Recent flights? 4 segments? some PQMs or PQDs

No, you need to do nothing.

Will 2MM flyers receive 2 RPUs annually?

Yes: http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/21007782-post85.html :

Originally Posted by UA Insider

All 3 Million Milers will receive 6 GPUs at the beginning of 2015, unless they were already earned through the published criteria.
Similarly, 2 Million Milers will receive 2 RPUs at the beginning of 2015, unless already earned by the published criteria.
Will 3MM flyers receive 6 GPUs annually?

Yes. See above.

Since a 3MM flyer is also a 2MM flyer, will 3MM flyers also receive 2 RPUs annually?

According to an email exchange on 1/15/2014 with 1Kvoice as a 3MM LT 1K one should see 6 GPUs and 2 RPUs by end of January if one didn't fly the miles last year. Those xPUs in fact deposited 1/16/2014.

Pre-merger United 1MM flyers were promised two Confirmed Regional upgrades per year. Were they grandfathered into two RPUs per year?

No. And a class action suit claiming this was a breach of contract with pre-merger MM members was denied by a court, so this issue appears to be closed. For more: http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/unite...judgmt-ua.html

Pre-merger United 2MM flyers were promised a Red Carpet Club lounge membership for life. Will they be grandfathered into a lifetime United Club membership?

Yes, but they need to call the MileagePlus service center.

I was close to 2MM status before January 1, 2012, and was on a pace to reach 2MM BIS before January 1, 2013. Should I have received a lifetime membership?

Some have. Call the MileagePlus service center.

2 and 3 Million Miler Gift
Changed to RDM bonus in 2020

If I have Million Mile or Beyond status, do I have to fly 4 segments annually on UA/UX metal to keep my status?

Presently, no, for your earned MM status, nothing more is needed. However, if you want a higher elite status than one your Million Mile or Beyond status gives you, then you have to fly the 4 segments and credit to them to M+.

If I have Million Mile or Beyond status, do I have to earn PQDs to keep my status?

Presently, no, for your earned MM status, nothing more is needed. However, if you want a higher elite status than one your Million Mile or Beyond status gives you, then you have to earn the required PQDs for that status. Your Million Mile and Beyond status do not give you a jump start on PQDs, PQMs, or PQSes toward a higher elite status.

Million Mile Program FAQs

Terms and conditions for MileagePlus Million Miler companion benefit

FT thread: Million Miler companion benefit

Frequently Made Points (2012)
  • Many lifetime CO elites made gains with the new program:
    • Lifetime silvers become lifetime golds
    • Infinite elites became lifetime 1Ks
  • Many lifetime UA elites made gains with the new program:
    • The one-time adjustment to recalculate lifetime miles to be equal to lifetime PQM boosted most lifetime totals, and many people were elevated to the first or next tier of the MM program.
    • The companion program benefited most elites.
    • The addition of lifetime platinum to existing 2MMer grandfathered lifetime United Club membership was a benefit for all pre-existing 2MMers.
    • The replacement of lifetime United Club with platinum was a benefit for those people between 1MM and 2MM lifetime miles who valued a higher upgrade priority.
    • For people at or aiming toward 4MM, the introduction of lifetime GS at 4MM
    • Leather luggage tags
  • Many lifetime CO elites had losses with the new program:
    • Moving forward, PQMs do not count toward lifetime status.
  • Many lifetime UA elites had losses with the new program:
    • For 1MM and 2MM elites, the loss of 100% RDM bonus (reduced to 50% and 75% respectively)
    • For 1MM elites, the loss of two annual CR-1s (nka RPUs)
    • For people over 1MM but not "close enough" to 2MM, the loss of the opportunity to get lifetime United Club membership.
    • The loss of one-time gifts of extra SWUs (nka GPUs)
    • The inflation of membership numbers negating the significance of flying an actual one million BIS miles on UA metal, i.e. "Million Mile Flyers"
Related thread: Lifetime status by airline -- attempted summary
Print Wikipost

MileagePlus Million Mile (and Beyond) Flyer Benefits

Search this Thread

Old Jan 28, 2014, 6:02 am

Programs: UA LT Gold, Air France Platinum Ulti, AA 4MM EXP, SPG Lifetime Plat, Hyatt Globalist, Hilton Diamond
Question regarding the minimum 4 segments a year on UA

I am a United Million Miler which means that I have Star Gold for life

Do I still have to complete the minimum 4 segments on United during the year to keep my membership valid or do I automatically requalify without flying?

I have given up on United altogether due to the devaluation of miles, and the Mileage Plus program as a whole, but I still want to keep my Star Gold privileges for when I have to fly on Star Alliance airlines.

Thanks for any insight
Old Jan 28, 2014, 6:10 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K1.75MM, Hyatt Globalist, abandoned Marriott LTT (RIP SPG), Hertz PC
Originally Posted by thierry

Do I still have to complete the minimum 4 segments on United during the year to keep my membership valid or do I automatically requalify without flying?

I have given up on United altogether due to the devaluation of miles, and the Mileage Plus program as a whole, but I still want to keep my Star Gold privileges for when I have to fly on Star Alliance airlines.

Thanks for any insight
Not needed. Until they once again re-define what a "lifetime" promise is.
Old Jan 28, 2014, 6:47 am

Originally Posted by UA-NYC:22237460
Originally Posted by thierry

Thanks for any insight
Not needed. Until they once again re-define what a "lifetime" promise is.
Actually, that was my first thought : How does UA define lifetime? I would expect that it would be during your life but I could see a drafter adding the condition that one must keep MP account active, which would just require the use of a cc or a flight once every x.
Old Jan 28, 2014, 7:45 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K1.75MM, Hyatt Globalist, abandoned Marriott LTT (RIP SPG), Hertz PC
Originally Posted by dcpdxtrans
Actually, that was my first thought : How does UA define lifetime? I would expect that it would be during your life but I could see a drafter adding the condition that one must keep MP account active, which would just require the use of a cc or a flight once every x.
The precedent has been set for them keeping their fingers crossed behind their back when making a promise
Old Jan 28, 2014, 10:03 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA-EXP, AA-0.41MM, UA-Gold, Ex UA-1K (2006 thru 2015), PMUA-0.95MM, COUA-1.5MM-lite, AF-Silver
Originally Posted by UA-NYC
The precedent has been set for them keeping their fingers crossed behind their back when making a promise
And backed by a federal judge.

No need to fly 4 segments this year. That's all we know.
Old Jan 28, 2014, 10:18 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

The 4 are not needed for Gold, as a MM, or Plat for 2MM, or 1K for 3MM or GS for 4MM. But what about if you are going for higher than your MM status gives? I would think yes.
Old Jan 28, 2014, 10:28 am

Programs: UA AU MM,HH Diamond,Hyatt Globalist , Marriott Gold
You get the 4 segments waived with the right credit card too.
Old Jan 28, 2014, 10:32 am

Until they once again re-define what a "lifetime" promise is.
Originally Posted by dcpdxtrans
: How does UA define lifetime? I would expect that it would be during your life but I could see a drafter adding the condition that one must keep MP account active, which would just require the use of a cc or a flight once every x.
Lifetime - Definition and More from the Free Merriam-Webster ...
www.merriam-webster.com/dictionary/lifetime‎
Merriam‑Webster
The time during which a person is alive. : a very long time. : the time during which something lasts or is useful.

So taking this a step further, which UA has exhibited in the past, once a customer/passenger outlives their "USEFULNESS" they are expendable, and all bets are off as to whether or not you will be granted ANYTHING that you were promised, after working your a$$ off, dropping thousands of $$$, and showing loyalty/affection towards their airline.

Just look at how they've been treating their employee's, that have spent a better part of their lives working for this company. If you think that a promise means anything to them, you are sadly mistaken!
Old Jan 28, 2014, 11:17 am

Programs: United GS, Marriott Ambassador
Please correct me if I'm wrong: If you are a 3MM or above, and you don't fly at all, you get 6 GPUs. If you flying 100K PQM you still get only 6 GPUs + 2 more every 50K PQM?

Wouldn't it be nice to start with 6 GPUs + 6 more at 100K PQM? Doing so will give an incentive to continue to fly UA.

What do you get for 5MM? My partner is crossing that level next month.
Old Jan 28, 2014, 12:36 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by kittiyut
Please correct me if I'm wrong: If you are a 3MM or above, and you don't fly at all, you get 6 GPUs. If you flying 100K PQM you still get only 6 GPUs + 2 more every 50K PQM?

Wouldn't it be nice to start with 6 GPUs + 6 more at 100K PQM? Doing so will give an incentive to continue to fly UA.

What do you get for 5MM? My partner is crossing that level next month.
You're correct! It's a disincentive to fly UA actually. Brilliant.

5MM and $4 will get you a grande latte at Starbucks, that's it

(edit - unclear if there are "gifts" a la what one gets at 3MM)
Old Jan 28, 2014, 12:42 pm

Programs: UA 1K
You're correct! It's a disincentive to fly UA actually. Brilliant.
This argument has curb appeal but ultimately doesn't really make sense to me. Ultimately, the incentive to fly is the MM benefits you get when flying.
Old Jan 28, 2014, 12:46 pm
Original Poster

Programs: UA 1K 3 Million/ex-many year GS, AA PLT/2 Mil, AS MVPG, HH Dia, Starwood Life Plat, Hertz PC
Originally Posted by mgcsinc
This argument has curb appeal but ultimately doesn't really make sense to me. Ultimately, the incentive to fly is the MM benefits you get when flying.
Actually more than curb appeal. Optimal strategy for a 3MM is probably to book UA only when one of the 6GPUs and 2 RPUs can be applied at booking and put the rest of one's miles toward status elsewhere. UA could have thought this one through much better than they did, but it fits their general lack of real strategic thinking ability.
Old Jan 28, 2014, 1:32 pm

Programs: UA 1K
Originally Posted by pdx1M
Actually more than curb appeal. Optimal strategy for a 3MM is probably to book UA only when one of the 6GPUs and 2 RPUs can be applied at booking and put the rest of one's miles toward status elsewhere. UA could have thought this one through much better than they did, but it fits their general lack of real strategic thinking ability.
This only makes sense if you will fly enough to attain status on the other carrier, and can avoid being a kettle there in the meantime. Huge ifs. The basic purpose of MM is as a retirement benefit if sorts - it's to help you in the days after you're done flying so much.
Old Jan 28, 2014, 1:47 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA-EXP, AA-0.41MM, UA-Gold, Ex UA-1K (2006 thru 2015), PMUA-0.95MM, COUA-1.5MM-lite, AF-Silver
This only makes sense if you will fly enough to attain status on the other carrier, and can avoid being a kettle there in the meantime. Huge ifs. The basic purpose of MM is as a retirement benefit if sorts - it's to help you in the days after you're done flying so much.
It is somewhere between the extremes of you and pdx1k.

After the GPUs are used up, if one buys long haul in premium fares, the 3MM program provides a disincentive to fly *A when *A is the same price or slightly higher.
Old Jan 28, 2014, 1:50 pm
Original Poster

Programs: UA 1K 3 Million/ex-many year GS, AA PLT/2 Mil, AS MVPG, HH Dia, Starwood Life Plat, Hertz PC
Correct. But the question had to do with someone who is still actively flying. The issue only is relevant for someone who will do 100K+ PQM in a year. For that person the 3MM benefit drives the behavior I listed. If you are in fact retired and flying significantly less than that, then sure - use the 1K benefits whenever. Note that UA could have structured this to appeal to both the retired flyer and the continuing flyer had they simply thought it through a bit more - but this is the new and savvy UA.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.