Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

MileagePlus Million Mile (and Beyond) Flyer Benefits

Old Jan 3, 2014, 6:04 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: WineCountryUA
MM roll call thread: UA Million Miler/Multi-Million Miler Roll Call Thread

UA offers a way to earn status based on accumulative (lifetime) flight.
Lifetime Premier status

The Million Miler program grants lifetime Premier status to all qualifying members, even if they fly less in the future. Lifetime miles are earned based on the flight distance of United- and United Express-operated flights. Basic Economy tickets do not earn lifetime flight miles.
(How are "lifetime miles" calculated for MileagePlus?)
Here are the status benefits of the Million Miler program:

You can earn (the old fashioned way, same thresholds) higher status, but with MMers status, you will never fall below the MMer status level.
Annual companion Premier status

As a Million Miler, you may invite your spouse or significant other to share your current Premier status. This membership is nontransferable and will automatically renew each year unless you let us know otherwise.

See companion eligibility terms and conditions at the bottom of this page for more details.

To select or review your companion or to change your companion for the next calendar year, visit united.com/MMcompanion.
Frequently Asked Questions

Do I get a "permanent / lifetime" card?

No, you get an annual card, as everyone else does. It will have an MM insignia. A permanent card would not make sense because you may earn a higher status than your MMer status.

Do I need to do anything to maintain MMer status? Recent flights? 4 segments? some PQMs or PQDs

No, you need to do nothing.

Will 2MM flyers receive 2 RPUs annually?

Yes: http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/21007782-post85.html :

Originally Posted by UA Insider

All 3 Million Milers will receive 6 GPUs at the beginning of 2015, unless they were already earned through the published criteria.
Similarly, 2 Million Milers will receive 2 RPUs at the beginning of 2015, unless already earned by the published criteria.
Will 3MM flyers receive 6 GPUs annually?

Yes. See above.

Since a 3MM flyer is also a 2MM flyer, will 3MM flyers also receive 2 RPUs annually?

According to an email exchange on 1/15/2014 with 1Kvoice as a 3MM LT 1K one should see 6 GPUs and 2 RPUs by end of January if one didn't fly the miles last year. Those xPUs in fact deposited 1/16/2014.

Pre-merger United 1MM flyers were promised two Confirmed Regional upgrades per year. Were they grandfathered into two RPUs per year?

No. And a class action suit claiming this was a breach of contract with pre-merger MM members was denied by a court, so this issue appears to be closed. For more: http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/unite...judgmt-ua.html

Pre-merger United 2MM flyers were promised a Red Carpet Club lounge membership for life. Will they be grandfathered into a lifetime United Club membership?

Yes, but they need to call the MileagePlus service center.

I was close to 2MM status before January 1, 2012, and was on a pace to reach 2MM BIS before January 1, 2013. Should I have received a lifetime membership?

Some have. Call the MileagePlus service center.

2 and 3 Million Miler Gift
Changed to RDM bonus in 2020

If I have Million Mile or Beyond status, do I have to fly 4 segments annually on UA/UX metal to keep my status?

Presently, no, for your earned MM status, nothing more is needed. However, if you want a higher elite status than one your Million Mile or Beyond status gives you, then you have to fly the 4 segments and credit to them to M+.

If I have Million Mile or Beyond status, do I have to earn PQDs to keep my status?

Presently, no, for your earned MM status, nothing more is needed. However, if you want a higher elite status than one your Million Mile or Beyond status gives you, then you have to earn the required PQDs for that status. Your Million Mile and Beyond status do not give you a jump start on PQDs, PQMs, or PQSes toward a higher elite status.

Million Mile Program FAQs

Terms and conditions for MileagePlus Million Miler companion benefit

FT thread: Million Miler companion benefit

Frequently Made Points (2012)
  • Many lifetime CO elites made gains with the new program:
    • Lifetime silvers become lifetime golds
    • Infinite elites became lifetime 1Ks
  • Many lifetime UA elites made gains with the new program:
    • The one-time adjustment to recalculate lifetime miles to be equal to lifetime PQM boosted most lifetime totals, and many people were elevated to the first or next tier of the MM program.
    • The companion program benefited most elites.
    • The addition of lifetime platinum to existing 2MMer grandfathered lifetime United Club membership was a benefit for all pre-existing 2MMers.
    • The replacement of lifetime United Club with platinum was a benefit for those people between 1MM and 2MM lifetime miles who valued a higher upgrade priority.
    • For people at or aiming toward 4MM, the introduction of lifetime GS at 4MM
    • Leather luggage tags
  • Many lifetime CO elites had losses with the new program:
    • Moving forward, PQMs do not count toward lifetime status.
  • Many lifetime UA elites had losses with the new program:
    • For 1MM and 2MM elites, the loss of 100% RDM bonus (reduced to 50% and 75% respectively)
    • For 1MM elites, the loss of two annual CR-1s (nka RPUs)
    • For people over 1MM but not "close enough" to 2MM, the loss of the opportunity to get lifetime United Club membership.
    • The loss of one-time gifts of extra SWUs (nka GPUs)
    • The inflation of membership numbers negating the significance of flying an actual one million BIS miles on UA metal, i.e. "Million Mile Flyers"
Related thread: Lifetime status by airline -- attempted summary
Print Wikipost

MileagePlus Million Mile (and Beyond) Flyer Benefits

Old Jun 21, 2017, 5:45 am

Programs: UA 1K 1.45MM, Marriott+SPG Plat, Clear, Nexus, Global Entry and MEX Viajero Confiable
Originally Posted by bldr1k
I hit 3M miles flying from DEN to NRT yesterday and it was impressive how they recognized me. The pilot and first officers came out to the gate and made an announcement, talked about how much flying I had done, gave me a bag full of goodies. They also gave me a hand written card, the GS team gave me another card. The captain invited me to the 787 cockpit for a tour and pictures. Every single flight attendant came to my seat to say congratulations. I didn't expect any of this and truly appreciate how United made me feel.
Congratulations to you and well done to UA!
Old Aug 17, 2017, 12:49 pm

Programs: United 1K, 1.9MM
I got no recognition when I passed the 1MM mark several years ago. I am now at 1.5MM. Maybe when I hit 2MM United will be so nice.
Old Aug 20, 2017, 7:13 pm

Programs: AA, UA, WN, HH, Marriott
My friend hit the 1MM mark on a recent flight. A customer service supervisor came on board, congratulated her, and gave her a lifetime Gold card. Is this the standard award for 1MM? Is it usual to get this kind of personal attention?
Old Aug 20, 2017, 8:42 pm

Originally Posted by JerryFF
My friend hit the 1MM mark on a recent flight. A customer service supervisor came on board, congratulated her, and gave her a lifetime Gold card. Is this the standard award for 1MM? Is it usual to get this kind of personal attention?
Is this a serious question? Of course not. I haven't even heard of a lifetime Gold Card. It would certainly surprise me since UA has taken a lot of benefits away which were previously given for 1 MM. I wish I had a lifetime Gold card, since I certainly don't expect UA to hold themselves to it and honor their commitments.
Old Aug 20, 2017, 8:52 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL PM, UA Gold, WN, Global Entry; +others wherever miles/points are found
Originally Posted by JerryFF
(1) Yes, lifetime Premier Gold is the published benefit for 1MM.
(2) No, not everyone receives a warm welcome to the status; many bitter reports in this thread will confirm sometimes there is no fanfare at all.
Old Aug 20, 2017, 9:00 pm

Programs: UA 1K MM, Accor Plat, Htz PC, Natl ExEm, other random status
Originally Posted by Exleftseat
Is this a serious question? Of course not. I haven't even heard of a lifetime Gold Card. It would certainly surprise me since UA has taken a lot of benefits away which were previously given for 1 MM. I wish I had a lifetime Gold card, since I certainly don't expect UA to hold themselves to it and honor their commitments.
Am I just irony challenged here?

https://www.united.com/web/en-US/con.../lifetime.aspx

Lifetime Premier status

The Million Miler program grants lifetime Premier status to all qualifying members, even if they fly less in the future. Lifetime miles are earned based on the flight distanceFootnote * of United- and United Express-operated flights. Basic Economy tickets do not earn lifetime flight miles. Here are the status benefits of the Million Miler program:

Lifetime flight miles Status award Annual companion Premier status
One million Premier Gold ✓Yes
Two million Premier Platinum ✓Yes
Three million Premier 1K ✓Yes
Four million United Global Services ✓Yes
Old Aug 20, 2017, 9:38 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: DREAD Gold; UA 1.035MM; Bonvoy Au-197; PCC Elite+; CCC Elite+; MSC C-12; CWC Au-197; WoH Dis
Originally Posted by greg99
Am I just irony challenged here?
I think you're just missing the rule that says United can change the program at any time without notice, and they have done exactly that with MM benefits before.
Old Aug 20, 2017, 9:51 pm

Programs: UA "Lifetime" Gold, AS MVPG100K, OW Emerald, HH Lifetime Diamond, IC Plat, Marriott Gold, Hertz Gold
Originally Posted by mahasamatman
I think you're just missing the rule that says United can change the program at any time without notice, and they have done exactly that with MM benefits before.
Just so. And an appeal court majority in the best-known case suggested the avenue for complaints is the DOT.
The affirming justices in the 2-1 decision wrote:

If we were to sanction the transformation of consumer fraud claims into contract disputes in this way, we would fatally undermine the statutory scheme, which dictates that consumer fraud cases must be handled through the Department of Transportation.

However bad United’s conduct may have been, it must be addressed in the manner that Congress
prescribed.
Yet the DOT proclaims on its website:

The Department of Transportation does not have rules applicable to the terms of airline frequent flyer program contracts. These are matters of individual company policy. If you are dissatisfied with the way a program is administered, changes which may take place, or the basic terms of the agreement, you should complain directly to the company. If such informal efforts to resolve the problem are unsuccessful, you may wish to consider legal action through the appropriate civil court.
It seems well established at this point that airlines can pretty well make whatever changes they want with impunity, barring an extreme customer revolt, caught between, as my grandmother used to say, the devil and the deep blue sea.

Last edited by Fredd; Aug 20, 2017 at 10:17 pm Reason: Adding link and reference
Old Aug 20, 2017, 10:26 pm

Originally Posted by mahasamatman
No, I understood that - I just didn't understand the comment "I haven't even heard of a lifetime Gold Card." I couldn't tell if he was making the ironic observation you pointed out, or if he really didn't know.
Old Aug 20, 2017, 11:02 pm
Moderator: United Airlines

Programs: UA Plat 1.99MM, Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott Plat/LT Gold, Hilton Silver, IHG Plat
No, I understood that - I just didn't understand the comment "I haven't even heard of a lifetime Gold Card." ....
Strictly speaking the is no such item. Everyone gets a new card, good for one year, each year.
Old Aug 20, 2017, 11:14 pm

Originally Posted by WineCountryUA
Strictly speaking the is no such item. Everyone gets a new card, good for one year, each year.
That's true, but I think OP was asking a general question about the benefits of MM (and I suspect that he is not a MM himself).

It's not unreasonable to say "lifetime Gold status is a published benefit." It's also not unreasonable to say "it's definitely not normal to get a Gold card given to you on the plane" (a la fineark's post).

By contrast, Exleftseat's post left open the interpretation that lifetime Gold status is not a benefit, which it is.
Old Aug 20, 2017, 11:25 pm
Moderator: United Airlines

Programs: UA Plat 1.99MM, Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott Plat/LT Gold, Hilton Silver, IHG Plat
.... By contrast, Exleftseat's post left open the interpretation that lifetime Gold status is not a benefit, which it is.
We are drifting off topic -- but many MMers are cynical about any present "lifetime" benefits promised after the post merger changes of previous "lifetime MM benefits" There is some painful history here for many.

For more, see

http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/unite...ec-2014-a.html

http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/unite...m-details.html

http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/unite...s-members.html

http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/unite...al-united.html

http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/unite...-ua-board.html

=========================

Moderator Hat On

Let's not delve onto past in this thread -- this thread is about present benefits. The above threads are the best places for revisiting the past

WineCountryUA
UA coModerator

Last edited by WineCountryUA; Aug 20, 2017 at 11:31 pm
Old Sep 22, 2017, 1:31 pm

Programs: 3 MMer
Called res and the service center today and got conflicting answers.

Does one get 2 - RPU's and, 6 - GPU's upon reaching 3MM's and 1K for life,
even if only have approx 25 K miles by Feb., 2018, when this plateau is reached ?

If anyone can help, it would be appreciated!
Old Sep 22, 2017, 2:26 pm

Programs: AA LT Plat, UA 1k/1mm+, National EE, IC Plat, Bonvoy Gold
Originally Posted by Two Bee

even if only have approx 25 K miles by Feb., 2018, when this plateau is reached ?

I don't believe you will. Instruments have to be earned in regular annual flying. But you will otherwise have all the same privileges as any other 1k.
Old Sep 22, 2017, 2:46 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL PM, UA Gold, WN, Global Entry; +others wherever miles/points are found
Originally Posted by Two Bee

If I remember the timing, I believe you will either

(a) receive RPUs and GPUs during the program year as your qualify for each status level organically

-or-

(b) receive 4x RPU and 6x GPU on December 31 of the program year, valid for 13 months, if you did not otherwise earn Platinum (2x + 6x if earned Plat but not 1K).

An actual MMer can correct me if I'm wrong

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.