Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

United - Positive Experiences in the air and on the ground 2014

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

United - Positive Experiences in the air and on the ground 2014

Search this Thread

Old Jan 3, 2014, 3:22 am

Programs: UA 1K
Originally Posted by MSPGabe
I've worked and then had to board the same flight for training multiple times.

Definitely got some weird looks when stepping on board and taking a seat though.
Ha. "Last one out please turn off the lights."
Old Jan 3, 2014, 3:39 am

Programs: EK-IO, UA-1K2MM, ETIHAD-GOLD, SPG-PLAT LIFETIME, JUMEIRAH SERIUS GOLD
Originally Posted by UrbaneGent
It doesn't make any sense that someone working the flight was actually taking the flight - I've never heard of this before. Either she was joking, which is something I could see happening OR she was holding the seat for a colleague, relative or friend.

Did you see this GA on the flight in coach?

Now sometimes, an off-duty GA standing-by for a flight, BUT NOT ON THE CLOCK, will go behind the counter to check the flight-load. They can't touch the seats or manipulate the lists because it will show the actual GA signed in working the flight did it.

I've seen this happen a few times, nothing wrong with that if it helps the passengers and a swamped GA

Maybe OP approached an off-duty agent behind the counter and she helped him and indeed gave his gf the seat she blocked for herself.

but she should NOT have blocked anything for herself while paying pax were still on any kind of WL (unless on company business & how many GA's fly on company business!!

~~~~

Mindless thought - I've been flying way too much to know the above
Old Jan 3, 2014, 2:53 pm
Original Poster

Programs: AA EXP, Virgin Gold, Marriott Gold
Thanks for all the responses. In retrospect, it may have been odd (was just happy to get the upgrade last night). I'm not actually sure if she boarded the flight (was looking for her, but got distracted by the Sugar Bowl on the DirecTV): it might have indeed been a play on words. It was the last available seat on the plane (actually it didn't really seem available so much as blocked), so maybe she blocked it, was intending on upgrading us anyway, and had just got around to it when I walked up? So yes, perhaps she was just doing her job, but the outcome was positive, so I'm happy.
Old Jan 4, 2014, 12:12 am

A friend was flying IAD-DEN-SEA on a last minute standard reward ticket from my account. IAD-DEN was delayed for 3 hrs due to late crew (which is due to weather) thus missed the last DEN-SEA of the day. The reservation was protected to next day's flight without question when sitting on the tarmac at IAD.
Upon deplane, the gate agent at DEN proactively provided a hotel voucher at Clarion and two food vouchers of $7 each. Not sure if my 1k status contributes to these vouchers.
Anyways, we appreciate the accommodation provided in this case.
Old Jan 4, 2014, 5:31 pm

Programs: AA EP, CM PP, AV GM, UA Silver, SPG Gold, Hilton Diamond, Hyatt Plat, Marriott Plat, Accor Plat
Something Positive to Say About United

I've been among UA's critics of late, and I'm not saying they don't deserve it. In the interest of balance, however, I think it's also worthy of mention when they do something good.

I recently donated a GPU to a friend here in Costa Rica who was short one that he needed for a trip to Europe on UA. That trip required a schedule change, and by the time it occurred, he had received his 1K GPUs for 2014 mileage achievement. He used one of his own GPUs to expedite the change, so I was due a refund of the donated GPU. Instead, I was credited a single RPU.

I called the mileagePlus desk to get it straightened out, and the agent said that she was going to leave the RPU in my account for my trouble, plus redeposit the unused GPU. The entire call took about 10 minutes, so it wasn't much of an inconvenience.

As much as I whine, I thought I'd just share this act of goodwill on the part of UA. They do occasionally get something right.
Old Jan 4, 2014, 5:37 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by KenInEscazu
I've been among UA's critics of late, and I'm not saying they don't deserve it. In the interest of balance, however, I think it's also worthy of mention when they do something good.

I recently donated a GPU to a friend here in Costa Rica who was short one that he needed for a trip to Europe on UA. That trip required a schedule change, and by the time it occurred, he had received his 1K GPUs for 2014 mileage achievement. He used one of his own GPUs to expedite the change, so I was due a refund of the donated GPU. Instead, I was credited a single RPU.

I called the mileagePlus desk to get it straightened out, and the agent said that she was going to leave the RPU in my account for my trouble, plus redeposit the unused GPU. The entire call took about 10 minutes, so it wasn't much of an inconvenience.

As much as I whine, I thought I'd just share this act of goodwill on the part of UA. They do occasionally get something right.
Cool.

What's the expiration date of the RPU and the GPU?
Old Jan 4, 2014, 5:45 pm

Programs: Lowly UA silver, Marriott Ambassador/Tit4Lyf, IHG Plat
Right now I am trying to check six people in for flights tomorrow on American. The website has repeated errors when I try to change seats to put everyone together and it will not allow me to reprint the boarding passes until we are w/in 24 hours of the connecting flight. So...as much as I gripe about the United website, I can say that it is better than American in this regard.
Old Jan 4, 2014, 6:25 pm

Programs: UA-GS,1.95MM, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Titanium, Hyatt Explorer
I'm a huge fan of United's Tito's vodka. While I would never pay their prices for it, when I get it for free it is greatly appreciated!
Old Jan 4, 2014, 6:26 pm

Something Positive to Say About United

Less the airline than an awesome ticket agent, was polite and helpful in rebooking me (two days later) and issuing hotel and food vouchers after canceled connecting flight. Will definitely send UA a message complimenting his efforts.
Old Jan 4, 2014, 7:02 pm

Programs: AA EP, CM PP, AV GM, UA Silver, SPG Gold, Hilton Diamond, Hyatt Plat, Marriott Plat, Accor Plat
Originally Posted by Baze
Cool.

What's the expiration date of the RPU and the GPU?
1/31/2015
Old Jan 4, 2014, 7:29 pm

Programs: UA Gold-MM, AA Gold-MM, F9-Silver, Hyatt Something, Marriott Gold, IHG Plat, Hilton Diamond
1. United makes a mistake and cheats the customer.
2. The customer notices, fortunately, and calls United on the mistake.
3. United corrects it then throws him a bone.

Rah! Rah!
Old Jan 4, 2014, 7:41 pm

Programs: UA GS>1K>Nothing; DL DM 2MM; AS 75K>Nothing>MVP
How about...

UA used to be a great airline!
Old Jan 4, 2014, 7:49 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by KenInEscazu
1/31/2015
Even better ^
Old Jan 4, 2014, 10:24 pm

Programs: HiltonHonors, IHG Hotels, DL Skymiles
Originally Posted by kettle1
I think it was a play on words. It "was" the GA's seat to release and she chose the OP's GF as she was #1 on the UG list. I don't think UA is doing much training in KOA for GA's, unless this a new way for the "new UA" to save money somehow. Perhaps they can conduct training on the beach and save on renting a training room at LAX.

They could also provide training at Venice Beach, CA, but the "GA students" might get distracted by all the freaks running around. To the OP: Was this GA flying in Y to KOA on your flt? If not, it was a joke.

If she was on the flight tell her Mahalo. Surfs up, dude!
================================
This is most likely what was the case (a play on words as you say). Often times we use expressions such has "holding a seat in my pocket" meaning holding it aside till the very last minute. No shenanagins such as giving it to the wrong person but just a case of holding it for that last-second runner (are they going to make it ?, and if not, cutting the seat loose at the cut-off time to the next person who is supposed to get it).
Old Jan 5, 2014, 11:26 am

Originally Posted by hobo13
1. United makes a mistake and cheats the customer.
2. The customer notices, fortunately, and calls United on the mistake.
3. United corrects it then throws him a bone.

Rah! Rah!
I get your point, but since I live in a glass house, I can't throw any stones. This was most likely an automatically programmed redeposit. It could have been human error, but I doubt it.

As the owner of an internet based business, I'm very aware that sometimes things don't work as programmed, and there is often no way to figure out why.

All I wanted was my GPU back. I made no request for the "bone," so I thought it was good customer service to throw me said bone, therefore worthy of mention in this forum where we so quickly point out everything they do wrong.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.