Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

Consolidated "Is My UA Award Itinerary Valid?" Thread [2014]

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Oct 23, 2014, 4:13 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: goalie
Many of the questions about the validity of itineraries containing open jaws or stopovers can be found in the wiki at: Consolidated Rules for Open Jaw and Stopver Award Flights. Please read that prior to posting questions.

MileagePlus Star Alliance Travel Rules
http://www.united.com/web/en-US/cont...airawards.aspx
Print Wikipost

Consolidated "Is My UA Award Itinerary Valid?" Thread [2014]

Search this Thread

Old Jan 8, 2014, 2:04 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AS 75K; UA 1MM; Hyatt Globalist; Marriott LTP; Hilton Diamond (Aspire)
Originally Posted by BostonFlyer1624

Trying to book an award flight from Athens to Santorini (ATH-JTR).

Is this not a valid award route? Nothing shows up on any date in August 2014.
A3 flies that route and it should be bookable online. But I got the same result.

Note that's a $150-200 roundtrip. Not worth 25,000 miles IMO.
Old Jan 8, 2014, 7:25 am

Programs: Marriott, AAdvantage, United, Club Carlson
Originally Posted by Kacee
A3 flies that route and it should be bookable online. But I got the same result.

Note that's a $150-200 roundtrip. Not worth 25,000 miles IMO.
Agreed, but I might try to tack it on to an international RT award ticket. Just wonder why there is no avail.
Old Jan 8, 2014, 7:25 am

Programs: UA-1K, MM, Hilton-Diamond, Marriott-Titanium
I think this is ok but want to verify

11/14. Dates flexible

EWR-FRA UA F. 4.5 hr connection to
FRA-BKK. TG F 2 hr connection to
BKK-SYD. TG F

Spending two weeks down under then

SYD-BKK. TG J2 hour connection to
BKK-TPE. TG J 2 day stopover
TPE-JFK. EVA J

I think this should be 130k each
Thoughts and comments welcomed. Would it help if I told the res agent that TPE is my destination with a stopover in SYD?

Cheers
Old Jan 8, 2014, 7:57 am

Programs: UA GS
Originally Posted by cruisr
I think this is ok but want to verify

11/14. Dates flexible

EWR-FRA UA F. 4.5 hr connection to
FRA-BKK. TG F 2 hr connection to
BKK-SYD. TG F

Spending two weeks down under then

SYD-BKK. TG J2 hour connection to
BKK-TPE. TG J 2 day stopover
TPE-JFK. EVA J

I think this should be 130k each
Thoughts and comments welcomed. Would it help if I told the res agent that TPE is my destination with a stopover in SYD?

Cheers
This will not work because you cannot route through Europe on the way to Australia. You can route via Europe to Asia though.
Old Jan 8, 2014, 8:00 am

I'm trying to book a trip to Europe and Australia, but as expected, the web site isn't letting me do it...

My plan is to fly US-Europe(stopover)-Australia(destination)-US.
US-Europe would be 2 segments (F/C), Europe-Australia 3 segments (C/F/F), and Australia-US 3 segments (F/C/F).
I have found availability for all three legs and can book it as three one-ways, but being able to book it as a US-Australia R/T F class award with a Europe stopover would obviously be cheaper.
Would that R/T itinerary be valid and bookable on the phone, or is it invalid because you're not allowed to go from the US to Australia via Europe?
I think I'm okay on the max number of segments allowed for the round trip (eight in total), but maybe the five segments for US-Europe-Australia isn't allowed?

Edit: villox just answered my question while I was typing, pointing out that US-Europe-Australia is not allowed.
I guess I'll need to do this as three one-ways (which opens up the possibility of doing the Europe-Australia leg in QF A388 F class to use up my last AA miles instead of using UA miles for that leg.)
Old Jan 8, 2014, 11:34 am

I was just looking in my award booking, and I see that both the receipt and the itinerary are showing that the cost of the ticket was 240,000 miles for two people. It's showing it as a YB6 award (120k).

In my MileagePlus account summary, it shows:
Combined Rewards YB76||YF76

at a price of 130,000 per ticket, which is correct.

Should I be concerned that the award total on the summary screen and receipt are incorrect? Is this just a united.com display bug?
Old Jan 8, 2014, 1:07 pm

Stopover in India + Open Jaw

Moved the request to
http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/unite...ad-2014-a.html

Sorry did not notice the thread before

Last edited by dixycakes; Jan 8, 2014 at 1:20 pm
Old Jan 8, 2014, 1:20 pm

Programs: AS 75K; UA 1MM; Hyatt Globalist; Marriott LTP; Hilton Diamond (Aspire)
Originally Posted by dixycakes
Guys,
I am trying to book a Economy Saver award from USA to Central/South East Asia in March and running into some issues.
If my understanding is correct, a round trip award can have a open jaw + a stopover.

Here is my planned Itinerary:

Depart March 15th PIT - BLR (Stopover for 25 days)
Depart Apr 9th BLR - KUL
Depart April 16th SIN - PIT (open jaw) .

There are saver award spaces available on all legs. I checked each leg individually.

IIRC, PIT - KUL (NA to SE) should be priced at 32,500 miles and SIN - PIT at 32,500 again.

If I plug in all three legs on united, the website barfs out. I called up the agent but the rep is considering Leg1 & Leg2 as separate awards and pricing it at 65,000miles (40k to blr, 25k to kul). Is this right? The rep is not ready to listen to my argument at all. Please let me know if my understanding is right here.

Thanks
That is an 80,000 mile RT (NA-CA). You can't book it as one-ways, b/c you have a stopover, and stopovers are not allowed on one-way awards.
Old Jan 8, 2014, 1:21 pm

Guys,
I am trying to book a Economy Saver award from USA to Central/South East Asia in March and running into some issues.
If my understanding is correct, a round trip award can have a open jaw + a stopover.

Here is my planned Itinerary:

Depart March 15th PIT - BLR (Stopover for 25 days)
Depart Apr 9th BLR - KUL
Depart April 16th SIN - PIT (open jaw) .

There are saver award spaces available on all legs. I checked each leg individually.

IIRC, PIT - KUL (NA to SE) should be priced at 32,500 miles and SIN - PIT at 32,500 again.

If I plug in all three legs on united, the website barfs out. I called up the agent but the rep is considering Leg1 & Leg2 as separate awards and pricing it at 65,000miles (40k to blr, 25k to kul). Is this right? The rep is not ready to listen to my argument at all. Please let me know if my understanding is right here.

Thanks
Old Jan 8, 2014, 1:25 pm
Moderator: United Airlines

Programs: UA Plat 1.99MM, Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott Plat/LT Gold, Hilton Silver, IHG Plat
With a stopover, the system will assign the destination to the more expensive of the stopover / destination. Prevents gaming the routing. so your trip will price as

Depart March 15th PIT - BLR (destination)
Depart Apr 9th BLR - KUL (OJ, Stopover)
Depart April 16th SIN - PIT

BLR-KUL//SIN-PIT may be a problem because of very indirect / backtracking routing
If legal, it will be at least 80K total.

Probably best to ask the Mods to move this (click on the red triangle with "!") to (done)
http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/unite...ts-2014-a.html for more expert help or
Old Jan 8, 2014, 2:14 pm

Originally Posted by WineCountryUA
With a stopover, the system will assign the destination to the more expensive of the stopover / destination. Prevents gaming the routing. so your trip will price as

Depart March 15th PIT - BLR (destination)
Depart Apr 9th BLR - KUL (OJ, Stopover)
Depart April 16th SIN - PIT

BLR-KUL//SIN-PIT may be a problem because of very indirect / backtracking routing
If legal, it will be at least 80K total.

Probably best to ask the Mods to move this (click on the red triangle with "!") to (done)
http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/unite...ts-2014-a.html for more expert help or

I understand that stopovers are not allowed on one ways. I was thinking BLR-KUL (Leg1 &2) will be onward part with KUL being the final destination. SIN-PIT (Leg 3) being the OJ and Return part. I would have been fine if it priced at 80k, but I'm getting it at 97.5k
Thanks for the inputs.
Old Jan 8, 2014, 3:00 pm

Programs: UA S, Marriott P
Originally Posted by dixycakes
I understand that stopovers are not allowed on one ways. I was thinking BLR-KUL (Leg1 &2) will be onward part with KUL being the final destination. SIN-PIT (Leg 3) being the OJ and Return part. I would have been fine if it priced at 80k, but I'm getting it at 97.5k
Thanks for the inputs.
you dont get to pick what will be your SO or DST - the system does it, and it may not match what you think it should be.
Ask the agent what comes out as DST and OJ so you can understand each leg properly
Old Jan 8, 2014, 3:08 pm

Originally Posted by dsauch
you dont get to pick what will be your SO or DST - the system does it, and it may not match what you think it should be.
Ask the agent what comes out as DST and OJ so you can understand each leg properly
Any guidance on how it determines which is which? Is it whichever is furthest from your origin?
Old Jan 8, 2014, 3:13 pm

Programs: UA S, Marriott P
Originally Posted by villox
Any guidance on how it determines which is which? Is it whichever is furthest from your origin?
thats been my experience. Or when you start reversing your trip.
Old Jan 8, 2014, 3:18 pm

Originally Posted by villox
In this situation, the stop that prices out highest. They won't let you have a stopover in Central Asia for the price of a RT to South Asia.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.