Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

2014 - Consolidated cancelled/delayed domestic flights

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

2014 - Consolidated cancelled/delayed domestic flights

Search this Thread

Old Jul 27, 2014, 6:22 pm
Moderator: Budget Travel forum & Credit Card Programs, FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA lifetime MM / *A Gold
Question Why was UA5611 cancelled on Fri, 31 OCT 2014

Why was UA5611 cancelled on Fri, 31 OCT 2014

First I though yet another retreat on competitive hub-hub flight, namely DFW-LAX, but no, all other dates I checked still have three daily CR7 service.

Interestingly enough, AA has 16 or 17, all mainline including a couple of 763s and 757 in addition to their new A321s.

Is UA unable to fill even THREE CR7s on this day, with three a day that appear to be the normal frequency on other dates
Old Jul 27, 2014, 6:56 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: DREAD Gold; UA 1.035MM; Bonvoy Au-197; PCC Elite+; CCC Elite+; MSC C-12; CWC Au-197; WoH Dis
Quite simple. I'm sure (they feel) they have a better use for that plane.
Old Jul 27, 2014, 6:58 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K, Marriott Plat, Hilton Diamond, Hertz PC
Maybe they know from years past that Halloween produces lighter loads?
Old Jul 27, 2014, 7:00 pm

Programs: UA 1k (12 year fallen GS) 1.7MM, AA 2.1MM, EK, BA, SQ, CX, Marriot LT, Accor P
Weather in ORD will affect DFW operations sigificantly on 10/31.

You should be greatful they gave you so much advance notice!

Last edited by goalie; Jul 28, 2014 at 10:37 am Reason: Restored edited comment
Old Jul 27, 2014, 7:55 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
Does UA have problems with running out of pilots at the end of the month because those qualified for certain aircraft types have already flown their maximum allowed?
Old Jul 27, 2014, 8:06 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K, MR LTT, HH Dia, Amex Plat
A colleague of mine emailed me today fed up with United after a 3 hr each (!) maintenance delay BOS-SFO-BOS last week. He always flies UA but now is looking into VX and B6. It’s getting out of control right now, domestic as well as international.
Old Jul 27, 2014, 8:29 pm
Moderator: Budget Travel forum & Credit Card Programs, FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA lifetime MM / *A Gold
Originally Posted by bmwe92fan
You should be greatful they gave you so much advance notice!
I might be grateful IF they notified me

My daily check of flights showed me on 4:XX p.m. flight instead

My DFW-IAD-DUB has been changed so many times, I can't remember Already called three or four times when clicking accept this change didn't work

And return has changed as well, as the last EWR-DFW was cancelled as well .... well, for once a change I liked, as it got me home three hours earlier.

BUT, why would they cancel only this one flight, while keeping all others. Are they seriously running out of pilots at the end of the month

Again, AA has at least SIXTEEN mainline flights on this route, including two 763s. UA can't handle three CR7s
Old Jul 28, 2014, 6:22 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Silver, Marriott Gold, Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by EmailKid
Again, AA has at least SIXTEEN mainline flights on this route, including two 763s. UA can't handle three CR7s
DFW- LAX is pretty much hub to hub for AA but not for UA, which would explain at least some of the difference.

If you look at something similar for UA, you can look at IAH-LAX, which is a UA hub to hub but not for AA. And AA serves that route, looking at 10/31 to remain consistent, with 3 Express flights a day CR9) vs. UAs 11, all mainline. So not really much different.
Old Jul 28, 2014, 6:57 am

Programs: UA 1k (12 year fallen GS) 1.7MM, AA 2.1MM, EK, BA, SQ, CX, Marriot LT, Accor P
Weather in ORD will affect DFW operations sigificantly on 10/31.

I might be grateful IF they notified me
I know just how you feel - which is trying to assume there is logic involved with UA...

Last edited by goalie; Jul 28, 2014 at 10:53 am Reason: added full quote of previously edited post and removed moderation comment
Old Jul 28, 2014, 12:25 pm

Programs: UA GS
Halloween - Lighter Traffic?

Why was UA5611 cancelled on Fri, 31 OCT 2014

First I though yet another retreat on competitive hub-hub flight, namely DFW-LAX, but no, all other dates I checked still have three daily CR7 service.

Interestingly enough, AA has 16 or 17, all mainline including a couple of 763s and 757 in addition to their new A321s.

Is UA unable to fill even THREE CR7s on this day, with three a day that appear to be the normal frequency on other dates
It appears that Halloween has a significant decrease in passengers. I just received a notice that my Oct 31 LAX-JFK redeye flight has been dropped (thus the itinerary change notice). I rerouted via SFO, but I was curious about the elimination of the LAX-JFK redeye.

I checked the schedule for the previous and successive Fridays (10/24, 11/7) and found that there are 6 LAX-JFK flights on those days. However, on 10/31, there are only 4 LAX-JFK flights (the 12:58 pm and 10:15 pm are removed from the schedule).

I then checked the SFO-JFK flights. Of the 7 flights, 1 flight (2:00 pm) was also dropped on Oct 31. I'm assuming that United must have historical data showing a decrease of travel on Halloween.
Old Aug 1, 2014, 1:17 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K 1MM; Marriott LT Titanium; Amex MR; Chase UR; Hertz PC; Global Entry
Was just put on a ground stop for my UAX flight to ORD. Next update in 90 minutes. Contract staff is NOT handling it well. Other flights delayed and cancelled as well. Staff more interested in talking with each other then helping customers.

Sent customers outside security to ticket counter for accommodations...then told them all to go back to the gate.

Another stellar day for outsourced customer service.

Oh. And the app still says on schedule.
Old Aug 1, 2014, 1:29 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K 1MM; Marriott LT Titanium; Amex MR; Chase UR; Hertz PC; Global Entry
Gate agent announced rather imperiously that no planes were arriving or departing in Chicago, so no one will miss connections.

Seriously, you just can't make this stuff up.

A couple of business class customers on the afternoon NRT connection are not amused.
Old Aug 1, 2014, 1:44 pm

Programs: UA 1P MM, AA-PP, AS, DL, HH G, SPG Gold, TA nada
7/31 IAH-SJC UA#739 cancelled after a lengthy "maintenance" delay. Last flight out. Extremely poorly handled with 1 person rebooking and handing out hotel vouchers for 150 people. Nice job UA.
This was last leg of the P Fare sale. My SO commented every flight was late due to maintenance or "customer (dis) service" except the one LH flight, which was true. 5 out of 5 UA flights late 1+ hour-one cancelled.
Old Aug 1, 2014, 2:37 pm

Anyone know what happened to UA131 today, diverted to Allentown (ABE) before Newark?
Old Aug 1, 2014, 2:51 pm
Moderator: Smoking Lounge; FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Lifetime (for now) Gold MM, HH Gold, Giving Tootsie Pops to UA employees, & a retired hockey goalie
Originally Posted by James91
Anyone know what happened to UA131 today, diverted to Allentown (ABE) before Newark?
Possibly due to wx at EWR as there are thunderstorms there causing delays (and ORD as well)

http://www.fly.faa.gov/flyfaa/usmap.jsp

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.