Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

2014 - Consolidated cancelled/delayed domestic flights

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

2014 - Consolidated cancelled/delayed domestic flights

Search this Thread

Old Jan 20, 2014, 3:34 pm
Moderator: United Airlines

Programs: UA Plat 1.995MM, Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott Plat/LT Gold, Hilton Silver, IHG Plat
Originally Posted by WineCountryUA
Lake Effect Snow Warning for Cook, IL
ATC may have instituted a traffic flow restriction in anticipation
Due to weather waiver you may have some additional options
https://www.united.com/CMS/en-US/tra...eptionPolicies
Old Jan 20, 2014, 3:38 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AC SE MM, BA Gold, SQ Silver, Bonvoy Tit LTG, Hyatt Glob, HH Diamond
Due to weather waiver you may have some additional options
https://www.united.com/CMS/en-US/tra...eptionPolicies
I was rebooked into Y on a direct flight (oh how I wish Y was useful to me as AC*G ).

There aren't really any other options. The flight might be oversold, so I may volunteer if they can get me somewhere further west tonight, but canceling and rebooking for tomorrow doesn't help.
Old Jan 22, 2014, 11:52 am

Programs: UA-1K; Marriott Platinum; National Emerald Exec Elite; Avis President's Club (whoopdidoo)
17 Jan ORD-LAN cancelled MX - follow-on questions

Planned travel for me & my son, two PNRs:
17 Jan SNA-ORD-LAN
18 Jan DTW-EWR-BTV
21 Jan BTV-ORD-SNA

Friday night, UA 5862 (ORD-LAN) was cancelled due to mechanical problems. My son and I had to be in Lansing Saturday morning so the next ORD-LAN flight, leaving Saturday afternoon, was not a viable option. After learning of the cancellation around 1115pm, we rented a car and made the 4-hour drive from Chicago to Lansing.

Before I left ORD, I talked to a CSR to insure that our next flight, Saturday afternoon out of Detroit (DTW), would not be cancelled due to the flight cancellation and that we were going to drive ORD-LAN and would not be flying that leg. He looked at both of our reservations and assured us, we were “good to go” out of DTW. I realize now I should have been more diligent on this part but I just wanted to get out of ORD.

Saturday morning, I received a text status from UA for the departure of the afternoon flight, ORD-LAN and realized UA had put us on the next flight to LAN. If we were a no-show on that flight, the subsequent segments were in jeopardy. I called UA and the CSR was able to remove the ORD-LAN leg from our reservations and recheck us in for DTW. However, she had problems with the first leg, SNA-ORD and I believe she ended up removing the entire SNA-ORD-LAN part of our reservations.

The remaining flights for this trip were uneventful and all seat assignments were retained. Now the follow-on problems appear to begin. I will wait a few days to let the dust settle and MP miles to record; however here are my questions:
1. Checking my account today for the first time, I have credit for the 18 Jan flights. No credit for the 17 Jan SNA-ORD. If this flight does not record, do I do the ‘missing miles’ request? I’ve never had to do one before (amazingly). I assume separate requests for each ticket #.
2. The CSR at ORD gave me a website for refunds for the cancelled leg: united.com/refund I presume I should be able to file this request immediately for both of us. No reason to wait?
3. Lastly, I would like to request ORC for the missed flight ORD-LAN. Is this request made via an email or is there a form/url that I have missed? My son is GM but I plan to request it for him as well – is ORC an elite-only request?
Thanks for any guidance/clarification.
Old Jan 23, 2014, 12:25 pm
glx

Programs: UA GS, SPG Plat, National EC Executive (Replaced Hertz), Hertz PC (Retired)
01/22/2014 - 767 with Busted engine in HNL

Anyone know what happened?

Ground crew mentioned that it will be out of service for weeks as the damage needs to be repaired at HNL before the plane is airworthy. Supposedly the second event in as many weeks for this ship.
Old Jan 24, 2014, 9:27 am

Programs: UA GS 2.6MM & Lifetime UC, Qantas Platinum, Hilton Lifetime Diamond, Bonvoy Platinum, HawaiianMiles
Originally Posted by glx
Anyone know what happened?

Ground crew mentioned that it will be out of service for weeks as the damage needs to be repaired at HNL before the plane is airworthy. Supposedly the second event in as many weeks for this ship.
More info please, e.g. flight number, ship #
Old Jan 26, 2014, 6:00 am

Programs: MP - 1K, Hyatt - Platt, SPG - Gold
UA 19 / 14

So I am flying UA 19 tonight to Milan. The inbound from HNL "returned to gate"

Does anyone know what happened? And do you think there will be an impact on my flight?
Old Jan 26, 2014, 6:15 am
Suspended

Programs: UA 1K 1.8MM, Hertz PC, Marriott Platinum/Lifetime Gold
Originally Posted by nyr2299
So I am flying UA 19 tonight to Milan. The inbound from HNL "returned to gate"

Does anyone know what happened? And do you think there will be an impact on my flight?
Did you try checking the flight status of UA19?
If you look there you will see UA14 is due to arrive 25 mins late into EWR at 1239 at gate C102 and UA19 departs six hours later at 1835 from C102.
What's the issue?
Old Jan 26, 2014, 7:23 am

Programs: MP - 1K, Hyatt - Platt, SPG - Gold
Thanks for that. The united app shows the inbound as stuck in HNL.
Old Jan 26, 2014, 7:37 am
Moderator: Hawaii-based airlines & Hawai'i forums

Programs: NEXUS/Global Entry, Delta, United, Hyatt, IHG, Marriott, and Hertz
Sounds like there was a minor issue that they were able to correct after returning to the gate.

I happened to fly on that aircraft into HNL yesterday and other than the music portion of the IFE not working (movies and games worked fine), we didn't have any problems with the aircraft.
Old Jan 26, 2014, 7:52 am

Programs: Southwest, Alaska, United, American Airlines
Saturday morning's 753 runs IAD-LAX and IAD-SFO were cancelled.
Old Jan 27, 2014, 2:24 pm

Programs: UA - 1K, Marriott Titanium
Was supposed to fly EWR-MSY tomorrow, Jan 28th on UA4304. Flight was canceled and I was automatically rebooked through Chicago. As I checked in for the new EWR-ORD-MSY itinerary, UA3784 (ORD-MSY) was canceled.

I'm now on UA279 EWR-ORD and UA1279 ORD-MSY. Hopefully they don't get canceled.

EDIT: I guess this is due to an ice storm expected in the South tomorrow, not United playing whack-a-flight.

Last edited by mrsyeltzin; Jan 27, 2014 at 2:43 pm
Old Jan 27, 2014, 9:46 pm

Programs: UA GS 4MM
Is it actually a United policy to cancel all RJ's whenever the temp is below zero??? I was supposed to be on UA4313 CLE-BNA on Wednesday morning and was informed this afternoon that it was canceled. Only issue I can see is it's cold here (like a few degrees below zero) but no precip. Looks like most of the RJ's are canceled to/from CLE and ORD. Can't imagine there's a real issue of flight worthiness at this temp, but any idea why UA (or it's dba subsidiary) cancels at a little cold???
Old Jan 28, 2014, 12:59 am
Moderator: United Airlines

Programs: UA Plat 1.995MM, Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott Plat/LT Gold, Hilton Silver, IHG Plat
Originally Posted by JDT1955
Is it actually a United policy to cancel all RJ's whenever the temp is below zero??? ....
Doubt that but during the last polar voltex while in ORD, the ground staff was restricted on time on the tarmac. Don't have the details, but when it reach 0 degrees F (?), ground staff was limited to something like 15-20 minutes in the cold and then required to go inside for some similiar period of time. So the effectiveness of the staff was significantly reduced leading to reduction aircraft that could be handle -- hence cancellation due to cold weather. Not aircraft limitations but human limitations.
Old Jan 28, 2014, 4:47 pm

Programs: UA GS 4MM
RJ cancellations in the cold

Doubt that but during the last polar voltex while in ORD, the ground staff was restricted on time on the tarmac. Don't have the details, but when it reach 0 degrees F (?), ground staff was limited to something like 15-20 minutes in the cold and then required to go inside for some similiar period of time. So the effectiveness of the staff was significantly reduced leading to reduction aircraft that could be handle -- hence cancellation due to cold weather. Not aircraft limitations but human limitations.
So I'm checking in for my roundabout trip to BNA via EWR and CLE looks like nuclear winter with virtually every RJ flight canceled. And it's not even a bad day in Cleveland: calm, ~8F and SUNNY (hey, any sunny day in the winter is a good day). Was talking to a very nice GS rep who said he was equally baffled by the cancellations. Said it didn't happen like this on the old UA (he was PMUA) OR the old CO (based in CLE, so he saw first hand), which conforms to my memory. Never had a flight canceled solely due to cold. After all, AC flies RJs all over Canada, and they'd consider this T-shirt weather. This must be some sort of policy decision at the highest level, which has to cost millions in lost revenue and expenses. All the folks here seem pretty baffled by it...
Old Jan 28, 2014, 5:18 pm

Location: The counter of lost hopes and dreams, and for the creation of new ones in DEN
Programs: MP Rehab... or something like that...
Originally Posted by JDT1955
So I'm checking in for my roundabout trip to BNA via EWR and CLE looks like nuclear winter with virtually every RJ flight canceled. And it's not even a bad day in Cleveland: calm, ~8F and SUNNY (hey, any sunny day in the winter is a good day). Was talking to a very nice GS rep who said he was equally baffled by the cancellations. Said it didn't happen like this on the old UA (he was PMUA) OR the old CO (based in CLE, so he saw first hand), which conforms to my memory. Never had a flight canceled solely due to cold. After all, AC flies RJs all over Canada, and they'd consider this T-shirt weather. This must be some sort of policy decision at the highest level, which has to cost millions in lost revenue and expenses. All the folks here seem pretty baffled by it...
I can confirm that yes, we here in CLE are baffled by the shear amount of cancellations... (I'm not the agent you spoke to but yes, I know who he is...)
Air Canada was the only operating flight on the D concourse today, and for extra lift, they upgraded it to a CRJ from a DH1 to help move their cancelled passengers from this morning's flights along to their final destinations.

I know the company wanted to reduce Remain Over Night (R.O.N.) aircraft at ORD and CLE due to the negatives for the past couple of nights, but even then just the daytime operations should have had a few more flights... It's kind of weird when I'm looking down the ticket counter lobby and I see the other airline's operating flights where we have cancelled ours to the same destinations. Almost kind of a slap in the face as an agent when you can't get your own airline passengers to destinations and the others can...

But hey, those are just my opinions as a lowly minion.
-CLE-

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.