Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

Consolidated: Rules for Open Jaw & Stopover Award Flights [2014]

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Jan 1, 2014, 9:23 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: WineCountryUA
Presented as Q&A format (Originally posted by Alex_B)

Q: What is a stopover?
A: A stopover on an international itinerary is any break in your air travel for more than 24 hours except at the destination.

Q: What is an open-jaw?
A: An open-jaw is where you travel by your own means (either land, sea or a separate air ticket) between two points in a journey.

Q: How many stopovers am I allowed on a roundtrip award?
A: One stopover is permitted (an unlimited number of stops less than 24hours is allowable).

Q: How many open-jaws are allowed on a roundtrip award?
A: Two open-jaws are permitted. These must be at the stopover, destination or origin.

Q: Can I have a stopover or open-jaw on a one-way award?
A: No

Q: Can I have a open-jaw at both the stopover and destination?
A: Yes, plenty of posters have reported success in booking this

Q: Can I transit my destination multiple times (e.g. fly to JNB, fly to CPT and then return home via JNB)?
A: Yes, plenty of posters have reported success in booking this. You can only stop in your destination for > 24 hours once though.

Q: Can I cross both oceans?
A: Yes. The rule that prohibited crossing both oceans appears to have been removed from both MP and *A award rules. There are many many successful examples of people booking these itineraries.

Q: Is EWR-PVG transatlantic or transpacific?
A: US-East Asia/South East Asia is always transpacific no matter what geography might suggest.

Q: Do I pay more for a stopover or open-jaw?
A: Typically no additional mileage is required but additional taxes or fees are often payable (especially in UK with high Air Passenger Duty). Extra mileage will often be required if an open-jaw or stopover adds a higher cost region into the itinerary. Also awards wholly within CONUS, Canada and Alaska (formerly known as Series 0 awards) require additional mileage (10K miles) for a stopover of >4 hrs.

Q: What's this about a free one-way I can get on awards?
A: The concept of free one-ways is a misnomer and often confuses people, it is better to consider it a stopover in the city of origin. If you have a simple roundtrip award without a stopover, you can often create a stopover and open-jaw at your origin on the return leg to add an addition flight. E.g. I wish to book EWR-LHR (destination)-EWR which is a roundtrip US-Europe award. I could also book this as EWR-LHR (destination)-EWR (stopover)-SFO for the same mileage (and a few dollars of extra tax). The EWR segment would need to be within 330 days of booking and would be subject to the usual change fees.

Update1: Recent reports suggest that a stopover at origin is no longer permitted, which closes the free one-way option.
Update2: added SO/OJ at origin on two PNRs (identical in routing) with two different agents on 7/6/14 without any issues/questions.

Q: When I try to book my OJ itinerary online, the website errors out. Does that mean there is something wrong with my itinerary?

A: Not necessarily. The website typically can't handle complex itineraries. These must generally be called in.

Other notes:

•The open-jaw portion must be smaller (in miles) than any other leg. -While technically true for revenue fare construction this is not strictly enforced on awards.
•For awards between CONUS/Canada/Alaska and South Asia award regions the maximum number of segments is 5 segments each way on a round-trip and 4 segments on a one-way. (Note that many FTers report recently being read a memo that imposes an eight segment maximum on a roundtrip (4 each way). It is unclear whether this eight-segment maximum is limited to South Asia routings through Europe or North Asia, or has broader application.)
•Stopovers and open-jaws are NOT additive. You do not get extra stops included in your itinerary simply by making an open-jaw out of it.

Seeing your fare construction on an already booked award ticket:
In order to see your award fare construction to see where your stopovers and destination are, follow these steps.

Go to http://www.saudiairlines.com/

Then hit "Manage My Bookings" and select "E-Ticket"
Enter your UA ticket number (hint: 016 will go in the first box, and then everything else in the second box). Then your last name and hit "Retrieve My Booking". On the next page you'll see a line like this under "Fare Calculation":

CHI LH X/FRA LH ROM0.00CSM/YB52 /- FLR LH X/FRA LH X/DUS LH CHI UA SEA

This example is:
ORD-FRA-FCO
Open Jaw at Destination
FLR-FRA-DUS-ORD
Stopover at origin
ORD-SEA

Previous thread on this topic:

Rules for Open Jaw & Stopover Award Flights (Consolidated)
Print Wikipost

Consolidated: Rules for Open Jaw & Stopover Award Flights [2014]

Search this Thread

Old Jan 5, 2014, 4:56 pm

Programs: MP, Marriott, HHonors
Originally Posted by lost*in*cyberspace
No. Why not head over to UA's website and read the rules?
This isn't about rules. I know it's possible. I was wondering if anyone recommended one way or another.
Old Jan 5, 2014, 4:58 pm
formerly sahiljain22

Programs: Amex Plat; HH Diamond; SPG Plat; Hyatt Diamond; United 1K; National EE; HSBC Premier
Originally Posted by mduell
Double the cancellation/change fees.
Seems like from OP's original question, that might work better for him, if he likes to switch a sector for another based on his options.

Change/cancel fees is the same if changes are made sector wise. If he has multiple changes that he can make together, or wants to cancel the entire trip, then it makes sense to book it as 1 ticket!

The one thing I find is changing multiple segment trips often leads to the UA system crapping out and me having to call an agent. Especially if there is a partner award in the middle. For example, I am sitting with a OGG-LAX (UA) LAX-PHX (US) PHX-AUS (US) in my account that cannot be changed/edited/redeposited online.
Old Jan 5, 2014, 4:58 pm
Moderator: United Airlines

Programs: UA Plat 1.995MM, Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott Plat/LT Gold, Hilton Silver, IHG Plat
Originally Posted by karatelovr
Just asking if anyone can comment on using award travel with multiple destinations and if it caused a problem. ...
the website tends to have issues with multi-destination, open jaw itins. Find each of the segments (with availability) and then call it in. This should not be an issue in general. May try to charge a fee but you can ask for a waive due to the problems -- you may or may not get it.
BTW, avoid calling today
Old Jan 5, 2014, 5:11 pm

Originally Posted by sbm12
LH still can on short notice.
And UA.

Other than those two?
Old Jan 5, 2014, 6:53 pm

Programs: UA GS>1K>Nothing; DL DM 2MM; AS 75K>Nothing>MVP
Originally Posted by WineCountryUA
the website tends to have issues with multi-destination, open jaw itins. Find each of the segments (with availability) and then call it in. This should not be an issue in general. May try to charge a fee but you can ask for a waive due to the problems -- you may or may not get it.
BTW, avoid calling today
+1. Excellent advice on all points.
Old Jan 5, 2014, 8:43 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Originally Posted by michaelpowell44
And UA.

Other than those two?
LX and SQ are the only others providing F service TATL, right? I don't think either are readily bookable as awards.
Old Jan 6, 2014, 1:26 am

Programs: NorthSails® | Starboard | ION
Originally Posted by sbm12
LX and SQ are the only others providing F service TATL, right? I don't think either are readily bookable as awards.
Correct; and not bookable at all with UA miles.
Old Jan 6, 2014, 4:31 pm

Stopover in ICN on the way to Tokyo with award miles?

I am trying to book a trip LHR --> HND at the end of March and there is plenty of availability. I see a lot of flights stop in Seoul on the way. I am wondering if there is a way to maneuver it so that I am able to stay in Seoul for a few days before going on to take my flight to Tokyo, without using more than the 80,000 miles?

Thanks for your help!
Old Jan 6, 2014, 4:46 pm

Programs: BA Gold, UA Nobody, Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by Niomi
I am trying to book a trip LHR --> HND at the end of March and there is plenty of availability. I see a lot of flights stop in Seoul on the way. I am wondering if there is a way to maneuver it so that I am able to stay in Seoul for a few days before going on to take my flight to Tokyo, without using more than the 80,000 miles?

Thanks for your help!
If you're doing a round-trip this is fine. Your options are try to get multi-city to work online (unlikely), call in with the segments you want and pay the phone fee or book the round-trip via Seoul and then call in within 24hrs and make the change to insert the stopover.
Old Jan 6, 2014, 9:05 pm

Programs: UA GS
Is there something wrong with this award?

I'm trying to book a flight for my honeymoon. I think it's valid but the agents are giving me a hard time. Should I keep HUCA? This is one stopover and one open jaw, crossing both oceans.

JFK-TPE (stop)
TPE-DPS (destination)

DPS-BKK
BKK-CDG
CDG-MUC
MUC-DUB
DUB-BOS

Please note that the connections in BKK, CDG, MUC, and Dublin are all < 24 hours.

They are especially giving me a hard time because they claim that Aer Lingus (DUB-BOS) is no longer in the star alliance and they can't see any availability, despite the fact that it's showing on UA.com. To prove the point, I put an award on hold and gave them the PNR (different flight, different day, so as to not take up my award), but they keep saying they can't see it.

Edit: I eventually got the agent to price all of this out. Apparently on Aer Lingus you have to wait 24 hours before they will ticket.

Last edited by villox; Jan 7, 2014 at 6:30 am
Old Jan 7, 2014, 8:55 am

Programs: UA Silver, AA Platinum, AS & DL GM Marriott TE, Hilton Gold
Backtracking

Trying to book HKG-ICN-JFK-LAX-SAN

Are the LAX-SAN segments considered back tracking? It keeps erroring out .bomb

I don't mean to get off topic but I wasn't sure what thread this would go into.

Thanks.
Old Jan 7, 2014, 9:14 am

Programs: BA Gold, UA Nobody, Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by Madone59

LAX-SAN wouldn't be backtracking (but JFK-LAX might). However you likely problems are a) .bomb doesn't work well for complex itineraries b) if this is a one-way award you have one too many segments. I'd call it in to book.
Old Jan 7, 2014, 2:31 pm

could i do

fll-yul-fll-ewr?
Old Jan 7, 2014, 2:36 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AS 75K; UA 1MM; Hyatt Globalist; Marriott LTP; Hilton Diamond (Aspire)
Originally Posted by Madone59

Thanks.
There have been reports UA won't book ICN-JFK-LAX/SFO on a one-way award. They will book it as a RT (I have one). As noted by alex_b, you also have a segment limitation issue.
Old Jan 9, 2014, 2:48 pm

Please excuse me if I don't follow all the acronyms - I'm very new at this, but planning an important trip with my granddaughter and you guys know the most and are the most helpful. Brown nosing aside, I have to wait until late May until my g-d is out of school. Italy & Greece both have earlier school vacation starts of mid-June, while England is late July. So...

I would like to fly from Denver (home) to Nice or Genoa in late May, have a stopover/open jaw to tour Italy, then fly from Rome to Athens in 7 to 10 days. Then more touring and fly home from London ($200 fee added to ticket???) or Paris ($93 fee).

I first tried locating flights by searching for one-ways (which is what I understood from advice on this site). I can find flights to Nice and Genoa in Saver fare - but not all Economy-Saver show up as yellow squares, so I have to check each date to find them. I can do that.

But when I search for Rome to Athens, all the date squares are green, even though they show the Economy-Saver rates.

And I can find flights home from Paris to Denver. And book Den to Nice + Paris to Denver in Saver-Economy 60k miles.

But when I try to add in the Rome to Athens (doing the one-way search results in all green boxes in the flexible fare, but Saver-Economy fares showing at 12.5k miles

Den - Nice, France Stopover & Open Jaw
Rome, Italy to Athens, Greece - Destination
Paris (Open Jaw) to Denver
I get an error message - unable to find available flights. Something is wrong with my adding the Rome to Athens leg.

Two open jaws and one stop over. I hope this is just an error on my part that I can fix. Or maybe it just can't be done this way.
I will search or try anything that you suggest. But, please, I do value the knowledge of all you helpful people here.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.