Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

Consolidated: Rules for Open Jaw & Stopover Award Flights [2014]

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Jan 1, 2014, 9:23 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: WineCountryUA
Presented as Q&A format (Originally posted by Alex_B)

Q: What is a stopover?
A: A stopover on an international itinerary is any break in your air travel for more than 24 hours except at the destination.

Q: What is an open-jaw?
A: An open-jaw is where you travel by your own means (either land, sea or a separate air ticket) between two points in a journey.

Q: How many stopovers am I allowed on a roundtrip award?
A: One stopover is permitted (an unlimited number of stops less than 24hours is allowable).

Q: How many open-jaws are allowed on a roundtrip award?
A: Two open-jaws are permitted. These must be at the stopover, destination or origin.

Q: Can I have a stopover or open-jaw on a one-way award?
A: No

Q: Can I have a open-jaw at both the stopover and destination?
A: Yes, plenty of posters have reported success in booking this

Q: Can I transit my destination multiple times (e.g. fly to JNB, fly to CPT and then return home via JNB)?
A: Yes, plenty of posters have reported success in booking this. You can only stop in your destination for > 24 hours once though.

Q: Can I cross both oceans?
A: Yes. The rule that prohibited crossing both oceans appears to have been removed from both MP and *A award rules. There are many many successful examples of people booking these itineraries.

Q: Is EWR-PVG transatlantic or transpacific?
A: US-East Asia/South East Asia is always transpacific no matter what geography might suggest.

Q: Do I pay more for a stopover or open-jaw?
A: Typically no additional mileage is required but additional taxes or fees are often payable (especially in UK with high Air Passenger Duty). Extra mileage will often be required if an open-jaw or stopover adds a higher cost region into the itinerary. Also awards wholly within CONUS, Canada and Alaska (formerly known as Series 0 awards) require additional mileage (10K miles) for a stopover of >4 hrs.

Q: What's this about a free one-way I can get on awards?
A: The concept of free one-ways is a misnomer and often confuses people, it is better to consider it a stopover in the city of origin. If you have a simple roundtrip award without a stopover, you can often create a stopover and open-jaw at your origin on the return leg to add an addition flight. E.g. I wish to book EWR-LHR (destination)-EWR which is a roundtrip US-Europe award. I could also book this as EWR-LHR (destination)-EWR (stopover)-SFO for the same mileage (and a few dollars of extra tax). The EWR segment would need to be within 330 days of booking and would be subject to the usual change fees.

Update1: Recent reports suggest that a stopover at origin is no longer permitted, which closes the free one-way option.
Update2: added SO/OJ at origin on two PNRs (identical in routing) with two different agents on 7/6/14 without any issues/questions.

Q: When I try to book my OJ itinerary online, the website errors out. Does that mean there is something wrong with my itinerary?

A: Not necessarily. The website typically can't handle complex itineraries. These must generally be called in.

Other notes:

•The open-jaw portion must be smaller (in miles) than any other leg. -While technically true for revenue fare construction this is not strictly enforced on awards.
•For awards between CONUS/Canada/Alaska and South Asia award regions the maximum number of segments is 5 segments each way on a round-trip and 4 segments on a one-way. (Note that many FTers report recently being read a memo that imposes an eight segment maximum on a roundtrip (4 each way). It is unclear whether this eight-segment maximum is limited to South Asia routings through Europe or North Asia, or has broader application.)
•Stopovers and open-jaws are NOT additive. You do not get extra stops included in your itinerary simply by making an open-jaw out of it.

Seeing your fare construction on an already booked award ticket:
In order to see your award fare construction to see where your stopovers and destination are, follow these steps.

Go to http://www.saudiairlines.com/

Then hit "Manage My Bookings" and select "E-Ticket"
Enter your UA ticket number (hint: 016 will go in the first box, and then everything else in the second box). Then your last name and hit "Retrieve My Booking". On the next page you'll see a line like this under "Fare Calculation":

CHI LH X/FRA LH ROM0.00CSM/YB52 /- FLR LH X/FRA LH X/DUS LH CHI UA SEA

This example is:
ORD-FRA-FCO
Open Jaw at Destination
FLR-FRA-DUS-ORD
Stopover at origin
ORD-SEA

Previous thread on this topic:

Rules for Open Jaw & Stopover Award Flights (Consolidated)
Print Wikipost

Consolidated: Rules for Open Jaw & Stopover Award Flights [2014]

Search this Thread

Old Jan 2, 2014, 12:22 am
Moderator: United Airlines

Programs: UA Plat 1.99MM, Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott Plat/LT Gold, Hilton Silver, IHG Plat
None of your examples will work -- they each have 3 stops (2 stopovers and a destination) which is not allowed.

You can have a destination and a stopover. The up to 2xOJs need to be in conjunction with a origin / destination or stopover. If not, the OJ will create another stopover.
Old Jan 2, 2014, 4:22 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Some of this 'n some of that
Originally Posted by noah
Are you allowed to transit Asia on your way to Europe?
No.

Originally Posted by EasyGoTraveler
My understanding is that Asia is fair game, either direction. It's only problematic when you combine Europe with Australia or Oceania. Some travel blogs out there seem to confirm it.
You cannot transit Asia on a N America --> Europe itin. If 'some travel blogs' claim it to be so they are wrong.

Originally Posted by FlightNurse
Yes, this is the sweet spot for US airways miles, 90K in J to Asia from north america with a stopover in Europe.
That may be so but 1) this isn't a US forum and 2) your responding to a post inquiring about N America --> Asia --> Europe.
Old Jan 2, 2014, 6:38 am

Originally Posted by WineCountryUA
None of your examples will work -- they each have 3 stops (2 stopovers and a destination) which is not allowed.

You can have a destination and a stopover. The up to 2xOJs need to be in conjunction with a origin / destination or stopover. If not, the OJ will create another stopover.
Ok, thanks. How about this?

Jfk-cai
Spend two days (stopover)
Cai-her
Spend seven days (destination)
Her-ssh
Spend two days (open jaw)
Cai-jfk

As this, if legal, would allow me to book and fly ssh-cai on MS with money, and that is very inexpensive.

Last edited by IAATM; Jan 2, 2014 at 7:50 am Reason: Clarify stopover vs open jaw
Old Jan 2, 2014, 10:36 am
Moderator: United Airlines

Programs: UA Plat 1.99MM, Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott Plat/LT Gold, Hilton Silver, IHG Plat
Originally Posted by IAATM
Ok, thanks. How about this?

Jfk-cai
Spend two days (stopover)
Cai-her
Spend seven days (destination)
Her-ssh
Spend two days (open jaw)
Cai-jfk

As this, if legal, would allow me to book and fly ssh-cai on MS with money, and that is very inexpensive.
3 total stops -- not allowed.
The OJ MUST be at the origin, destination or at the one allowed stopover. The OJ can not create an additional stop.

You are misunderstanding how OJ can be used.
Old Jan 2, 2014, 11:49 am

Programs: AS 100K, Marriott LT Platinum
Originally Posted by Tracer_SEA
Is XXX-HND/NRT-YYY with <24 on the ground in Tokyo considered open jaw and thus not doable on a one way award? Or is it a coterminal and legal?
FWIW, I was ultimately able to ticket a one way award with one segment arriving HND and another departing NRT and less than 24 hours on the ground. So apparently they are coterminals/legal and not considered an open jaw
Old Jan 2, 2014, 12:29 pm

Programs: AMEX Centurion/Platinum, SPG Platinum, ICH Platinum, UA 1K, Delta Gold, Hilton Gold
I'm trying to do:

BOS -MNL (destination) - PEK (open jaw) - BOS - LAS ("free one-way"), but the system and CSR both say it's invalid, but CSR states she doesn't know why it's booting it out. I think it's because I exceed 4 segments on the return...

3 on the way there:
BOS - ZRH
ZRH - BKK
BKK - MNL

5 on the way home:
PEK - ADD
ADD - IAD
IAD - BOS
BOS - PHX
PHX - LAS

The BOS - LAS portion doesn't have direct flights... boohoo...
Old Jan 2, 2014, 2:22 pm

Programs: BA Gold, UA Nobody, Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by IAATM
Thanks, and what i wanted to say from the start was: "yes, i know that this is illegal as written, so please help me modify my itin in a way to make it legal"; but thanks again for confirming that this, as originally written, is not bookable on UA using miles.

Now, back to the original question: If youre saying that UA gives me two
open jaws and a stopover, then would the following be legal?

JFK-CAI non stop on MS using miles
Spend two days in CAI
Fly CAI-ATH on MS using money
Fly ATH-HER on A3 using miles (open jaw #1)
Spend seven nights in Crete (stop over)
Fly HER-ATH on A3 using miles (open jaw #2)
Fly ATH-CAI on MS using money
Spend two nights in Cairo.
Fly CAI-JFK non stop on MS using miles

Yes? No? Legal on a UA reward ticket? Or illegal? And if illegal, is there a tweak that I can make to make it legal?

Or alternatively, is this legal?

JFK-CAI non stop on MS using miles
Spend two days in CAI
Fly CAI-ATH on MS using miles (open jaw #1)
Fly ATH-HER on A3 using money as part of a cheap round trip
Spend seven nights in Crete (stop over)
Fly HER-ATH on A3 using money as part of a cheap round trip
Fly ATH-CAI on MS using miles (open jaw #2)
Spend two nights in Cairo
Fly CAI-JFK non stop on MS using miles

This would be the preferable itin, becauuse buying ATH-HER-ATH on A3 is very, very cheap. However, I am not sure if this itin is legal and bookable on UA or not. Your thoughts?
All of those proposed itineraries seem to have more than one stopover. If I delete the purchased segments from option 1:
JFK-CAI (stop 1 & OJ 1)
ATH-HER (destination
HER-ATH (stop 2 & OJ 2) - Hence illegal
CAI-JFK

Option 2 with the purchased segments removed:
JFK-CAI (stop 1)
CAI-ATH (destination
ATH-CAI (stop 2) - Hence illegal
CAI-JFK

My suggestion would be to not try and stop twice in Cairo. Something like
JFK-CAI (stop)
CAI-ATH-HER (destination)
HER-(anywhere in Europe/N. Africa)-JFK
is valid, if you really want to see three places then try:
JFK-CAI (stop)
CAI-ATH (destination and open jaw)
ATH-HER (purchased with money)
Old Jan 2, 2014, 3:02 pm

Programs: AMEX Centurion/Platinum, SPG Platinum, ICH Platinum, UA 1K, Delta Gold, Hilton Gold
Got it to work after reducing the return segments to 4!

Originally Posted by Azurik
I'm trying to do:

BOS -MNL (destination) - PEK (open jaw) - BOS - LAS ("free one-way"), but the system and CSR both say it's invalid, but CSR states she doesn't know why it's booting it out. I think it's because I exceed 4 segments on the return...

3 on the way there:
BOS - ZRH
ZRH - BKK
BKK - MNL

5 on the way home:
PEK - ADD
ADD - IAD
IAD - BOS
BOS - PHX
PHX - LAS

The BOS - LAS portion doesn't have direct flights... boohoo...
Old Jan 2, 2014, 4:23 pm

Thumbs up

Originally Posted by alex_b
My suggestion would be to not try and stop twice in Cairo. Something like

JFK-CAI (stop)
CAI-ATH-HER (destination)

is valid, if you really want to see three places then try:

JFK-CAI (stop)
CAI-ATH (destination and open jaw)
ATH-HER (purchased with money)
Thank you, thank you, thank you!!!!! You are awesome! Now I get it! Finally!!!!!
Old Jan 2, 2014, 7:45 pm

I am looking to burn the rest of my miles before the big devaluation. I will be in Europe and am looking for a OW home to the states hopefully via NH and LH F.

Am I allowed to go Europe -> NA via Asia?
How about Europe -> Asia via the US? If so can I stopover in the US?
If I book LH C and F opens at day 14, can I switch for free (or $75 booking fee)?
Old Jan 2, 2014, 8:51 pm

Programs: Hyatt Globalist, SPG Platinum, Hilton Diamond, A3 Gold
"Open jaw" on stop-over?

For a award booking with United Miles, would the following be allowed as one round trip?

Day 01: IAH-PEK
stop-over in "China"
Day 05: HKG-SIN
final destination in SIN
Day 10: SIN-IAH

So SIN would be the final destination and "China" (PEK & HKG) would be the stop-over "destination".

If this is not allowed, any other ideas how to book such a trip efficiently?

Obviously, I would have to book a separate flight to get from PEK to HKG.
Old Jan 2, 2014, 8:56 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AS 75K; UA 1MM; Hyatt Globalist; Marriott LTP; Hilton Diamond (Aspire)
Originally Posted by FlyingExplorer
For a award booking with United Miles, would the following be allowed as one round trip?

stop-over in "China"
final destination in SIN

So SIN would be the final destination and "China" (PEK & HKG) would be the stop-over "destination".

Delete. Yes sbm12 is right. You may or may not find an agent who will book that OJ.

Last edited by Kacee; Jan 2, 2014 at 9:05 pm
Old Jan 2, 2014, 8:58 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Originally Posted by Kacee
Why not just book PEK-HKG on the same award?
That would be one too many stops for the trip (SIN, PEK, HKG).

Historically an open-jaw has been permissible at the stopover point, but doing it across regions may cause troubles and, thanks to UA's recent policy of just making crap up and not actually publishing the rules, it is hard to say with authority that it definitely is or is not valid. Certainly worth trying though.
Old Jan 2, 2014, 9:00 pm

Programs: All opinions/interpretations expressed here are my own and are not officially sanctioned by UA
Originally Posted by FlyingExplorer

stop-over in "China"
final destination in SIN

I'm not sure you can have an open jaw on a "stop-over," however if China (PEK/HKG) is considered your "destination" the open jaw should be fine. You should probably call to see if Reservations can book it by considering SIN as your "stop-over."
Old Jan 2, 2014, 9:08 pm

Programs: Hyatt Globalist, SPG Platinum, Hilton Diamond, A3 Gold
Originally Posted by IslandSkies
I'm not sure you can have an open jaw on a "stop-over," however if China (PEK/HKG) is considered your "destination" the open jaw should be fine. You should probably call to see if Reservations can book it by considering SIN as your "stop-over."
Excellent idea! I will try it (even though geographically that makes no sense).

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.