Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

2014 Upsell Offers to Business/First (UFC/PCU) Questions/Discussion (Paid Upgrades)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

2014 Upsell Offers to Business/First (UFC/PCU) Questions/Discussion (Paid Upgrades)

Search this Thread

Old Dec 15, 2014, 4:05 pm

Programs: DL plat
My best offer yet.

Route: ORD - EWR
original fare bucket: U fare -> A
price offered: $59
Where it was offered/accepted: T-23 OLCI
Accept it or deny it? Accept

What makes this even nicer? It was the daily 3 class 763! Economy to GF. (Not sure why I wasn't offered BF instead but certainly not complaining!)
Old Dec 15, 2014, 4:08 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K1.75MM, Hyatt Globalist, abandoned Marriott LTT (RIP SPG), Hertz PC
Originally Posted by 15cats
My best offer yet.

Route: ORD - EWR
original fare bucket: U fare -> A
price offered: $59
Where it was offered/accepted: T-23 OLCI
Accept it or deny it? Accept

What makes this even nicer? It was the daily 3 class 763! Economy to GF. (Not sure why I wasn't offered BF instead but certainly not complaining!)
Congrats. Any UA status? And out of curiosity, did you see anyone on the upgrade list?
Old Dec 16, 2014, 12:41 pm

Programs: DL plat
Originally Posted by UA-NYC
Congrats. Any UA status? And out of curiosity, did you see anyone on the upgrade list?
Silver (requalified) and I remember a lot of people were confirmed already to J, with some still on the waitlist (3 open seats were left at time of offer). I don't remember J to F, but I was the last F seat
Old Dec 16, 2014, 2:48 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: ua mm, aa plat, starriott LTPP, ihg plat, hh gold.
what route: PVR to IAH
original fare bucket: award, so X, yes?
price offered: $299, then $559
Where it was offered/accepted: United Mobile app Check In
Accept it or deny it? Bwahahahahaha. no. Denied.
Old Dec 17, 2014, 5:58 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

route: IAD-LAX
original fare class: E
price offered: $249 (I think they "offered" over $1000 on the outbound LAX-IAD)
status: Silver (already qualified for 2015, almost enough PQD for plat)
where offered: OLCI after I did an SDC to a later flight
accept or deny: denied- already confirmed in an E+ exit row aisle, and I have stuff for sandwiches in the hotel fridge.

other possible factors: they gave me a "one of your flights may be oversold- would you be willing to take a later one for a $200 voucher" after I finished check-in. Declined that, too. I'm getting home later than I wanted already.
Old Dec 17, 2014, 8:09 pm

Programs: DL PM, OZ Diamond Plus, BA Silver
route: LGA-IAH
fare class: L -> P
price offered: first $349 then $79
no status
offered: OLCI (about T-16 and then at T-8)
accepted the $79.

also on the same reservation at OLCI:
IAH-NRT (L) $1589 and NRT-SIN (L) $3500+
no thanks.

on an interesting note after upgrading my first sector LGA-IAH United gave me new boarding passes for IAH-NRT and NRT-SIN as well - and shifted me from group 3 to 4 (I'm in 41A/42A for these two flights - or at least I hope I still am). no idea why though but maybe it came with the upgrade ?
Old Dec 17, 2014, 8:17 pm

Programs: UA GS, BA Gold, Marriott Titanium/LT Plat, IHG Gold, National Exec Elite, Hertz PC
Just helped a colleague buy up to Z class SYD-SFO.

The upgrade offer was something silly like $5k, both with 1P and no status FF numbers. So we used the "change flights" options, searched with advanced options for a Z/P seat on the same plane and paid the fare difference to Z.
Old Dec 17, 2014, 8:29 pm

Programs: I want to be free! Free!
Originally Posted by truncated
route: LGA-IAH
fare class: L -> P
price offered: first $349 then $79
no status
offered: OLCI (about T-16 and then at T-8)
accepted the $79.

also on the same reservation at OLCI:
IAH-NRT (L) $1589 and NRT-SIN (L) $3500+
no thanks.

on an interesting note after upgrading my first sector LGA-IAH United gave me new boarding passes for IAH-NRT and NRT-SIN as well - and shifted me from group 3 to 4 (I'm in 41A/42A for these two flights - or at least I hope I still am). no idea why though but maybe it came with the upgrade ?
This has to be a troll. That is a true TOD upgrade on what I have to imagine is a paid/elite heavy route.
Old Dec 17, 2014, 8:36 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K1.75MM, Hyatt Globalist, abandoned Marriott LTT (RIP SPG), Hertz PC
Originally Posted by aCavalierInCoach
This has to be a troll. That is a true TOD upgrade on what I have to imagine is a paid/elite heavy route.
Not at all - OP has no status, so perfectly logical that they'd get a rock bottom offer :-:
Old Dec 17, 2014, 8:38 pm

Programs: DL PM, OZ Diamond Plus, BA Silver
Originally Posted by aCavalierInCoach

there you go.
Old Dec 17, 2014, 9:27 pm

Route:AUS-IAH-LHR
Class: M
Offered: $129/$799, at OLCI
Declined (and regretted it)

Route:LHR-ORD-AUS
Class: M
Offered: $169/$1299, at OLCI, ~$3k in "manage reservation"
Declined

Originally Posted by flyerbjorn
Just helped a colleague buy up to Z class SYD-SFO.

The upgrade offer was something silly like $5k, both with 1P and no status FF numbers. So we used the "change flights" options, searched with advanced options for a Z/P seat on the same plane and paid the fare difference to Z.
Tried this, but my original flight didn't come up and all the results seemed to be the same price as just buying a premium ticket in the first place.
Old Dec 17, 2014, 9:29 pm

Programs: American Gold, Marriott Gold, Hilton Silver
Originally Posted by truncated
I see that they still haven't fixed that yet

I flew a 3-segment reward itinerary. BOS-EWR-IAH-LAX, all in coach.

At OLCI, I printed my boarding passes. No upgrade offer. All three BPs were for Zone 3. At the kiosk, I was offered an upgrade on the shortest flight of the three for $99 (BOS-EWR). I took it (EWR-IAH was some exorbitant amount since it was a hub-hub flight, and IAH-LAX was not too bad, but I decided not to bite even though it was on the 787-9). After taking the upgrade, all three boarding passes showed *** PREMIER ACCESS *** but the EWR-IAH and IAH-LAX legs now had me in boarding group 4

When I had the agent at the UC reprint my BPs to see if it would fix the boarding group issue, none of them showed *** PREMIER ACCESS *** anymore, and the website didn't try to sell it to me, so I knew I was supposed to have it (should have been bundled with the first leg in F).

I encountered some pushback from the GA at EWR, but he gave up and let me on with group 2 so that I wasn't holding up the line. I would have pulled out the group 3 BP printed at OLCI if he wouldn't let me on (A319 with slimlines, uhhg)

At IAH, the GA didn't bat an eye at the boarding group number, and I was allowed to board with group 2.

UA Insider PMed me about it, and I tweeted United about it as soon as I boarded at EWR, but no one was able to fix anything while I was on the EWR-IAH flight, and it was too late by the time I got to IAH since it was a somewhat tight connection. It wasn't a huge problem for me since I was ultimately allowed to board with the correct boarding group (2), but had I not been able to board with Group 2, I probably would have complained.

Last edited by diburning; Dec 17, 2014 at 9:34 pm
Old Dec 18, 2014, 3:09 pm

Programs: Cathay Silver, Marriott Ambassador, Hilton Diamond
EWR-MXP

Y to J

Online check in offer: $3250
Airport kiosk offer: $749

Accepted, but not without hesistation. I was #8 on an upgrade list of 13 with only 4 available seats, so there is no way my mileage upgrade would clear.
Old Dec 18, 2014, 3:50 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by pacificboot
EWR-MXP

Y to J

Online check in offer: $3250
Airport kiosk offer: $749

Accepted, but not without hesistation. I was #8 on an upgrade list of 13 with only 4 available seats, so there is no way my mileage upgrade would clear.
And since you will get your miles back, and this isn't much more than the co-pay, not an awful deal
Old Dec 18, 2014, 4:11 pm

Programs: UA MM 1K, Hyatt Globalist, Marriott Titanium Elite
After booking ORD-LAX, upgrade to BF from an M fare for, yup 0 dollars. The P fare was less and UA was so kind to not upsell me, they actually refunded a $1.00 in way of ETC.

Finally tossed me a bone.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.