Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

2014 Upsell Offers to Business/First (UFC/PCU) Questions/Discussion (Paid Upgrades)

2014 Upsell Offers to Business/First (UFC/PCU) Questions/Discussion (Paid Upgrades)

Old Mar 2, 2014, 9:55 am

Programs: United Premier Gold 1 MM
What Route: ORD-NRT
Original Fare Bucket: L
Price Offered: $699 one way
PCU/UFC? UFC
Where it was Offered: Online after check-in
Accepted? Yes!
Old Mar 2, 2014, 3:50 pm

Pretty Upset about this one!
My wife (Gen Member) and I (Silver) are going DEN-MSY round trip. Different flights outbound. Her ticket was $35 less, and we were both offered upgrades there. Mine was $133, hers was $167. Both accepted, so now we've essentially paid the same fair.

On the return now, we are both H class on the same flight, again my ticket was more and I have Silver, offered $221 upgrade, she was offered $68 (less than Y+!).

I heard about Elites being asked to pay more for upgrades than general members shortly after the merger, but I thought I read a press release saying that they had fixed that issue, but apparently they are still doing it!
Old Mar 2, 2014, 4:20 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K1.75MM, Hyatt Globalist, abandoned Marriott LTT (RIP SPG), Hertz PC
Originally Posted by COSYR
My wife (Gen Member) and I (Silver) are going DEN-MSY round trip. Different flights outbound. Her ticket was $35 less, and we were both offered upgrades there. Mine was $133, hers was $167. Both accepted, so now we've essentially paid the same fair.

On the return now, we are both H class on the same flight, again my ticket was more and I have Silver, offered $221 upgrade, she was offered $68 (less than Y+!).

I heard about Elites being asked to pay more for upgrades than general members shortly after the merger, but I thought I read a press release saying that they had fixed that issue, but apparently they are still doing it!
Search "TODs" and feel free to post your data point! Great example.
Old Mar 2, 2014, 4:21 pm

Programs: UA1KMM, Marriott Platinum, Hilton Diamond, EY Gold, QR Gold
What Route: ORD-FRA
Original Fare: C
Price Offerd: $599 one way
PCU/UFC UFC
Offered: not online check in, but when reprinted boarding pass at airport
Accepted: Yes, had in my travel budget and was first leg on 24 hours journey
I was wait listed with my GPU and number 3 with two seats remaining. Did a quick check on travel allowance and decided to pull trigger.
Old Mar 2, 2014, 4:39 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AS 75K; UA 1MM; Hyatt Globalist; Marriott LTP; Hilton Diamond (Aspire)

Congratulations! That is a gen-u-wine "TOD" (tens of dollars upgrade) that your wife was offered.

Originally Posted by Koko
What Route: ORD-FRA
Original Fare: C
Price Offerd: $599 one way
PCU/UFC UFC
Offered: not online check in, but when reprinted boarding pass at airport
Accepted: Yes, had in my travel budget and was first leg on 24 hours journey
I was wait listed with my GPU and number 3 with two seats remaining. Did a quick check on travel allowance and decided to pull trigger.
Not a bad deal. Disturbing to see UA sell the upgrade out from under waitlisted pax. Can't blame you for taking it though.
Old Mar 2, 2014, 4:43 pm

Programs: UA 1K MM, DL Diamond, NK Gold, Mariott LT Plat/Titanium, Hyatt Globalist, Hilton Gold
What Route: EWR-BCN
Original Fare: H
Price Offered: $689 one way
PCU/UFC UFC
Offered: At online check in. Nothing was offered prior to this point. It showed Full.
Accepted: Yes. Had a GPU waitlisted and was not sure it would clear.
Old Mar 2, 2014, 4:50 pm
Moderator: United Airlines

Programs: UA Plat 1.99MM, Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott Plat/LT Gold, Hilton Silver, IHG Plat

Interesting case (the return trip), not sure how you both had the same fare class but different prices (appears to be only 1 H fare filing presently).

Appears +1 may have been offer a Q-UP fare and yours was ???H-UP looking at today's fare filings
Note the cheaper V-UP fare.

[KVS Availability Tool 7.3.3/Diamond - Fares/PSH/RU]
Code:
DEN  Denver Intl CO US [KDEN]
MSY  New Orleans Louis Armstrong Intl LA US [KMSY]
O/W  03 Mar 2014 | Economy-Low
Carrier    From    To    Fare      Cur   AdvanceP  Min  Max  Fare Basis | Travel Period
---------  ------  ----  --------  ----  --------  ---  ---  --------------------------
... (lower fares deleted)
UA         DEN     MSY       272   USD     7 Days            VA7KN
UA         DEN     MSY       353   USD    14 Days            V2UP14N3
UA         DEN     MSY       379   USD        ***            HA0KN
UA         DEN     MSY       400   USD        ***            UA0FY
UA         DEN     MSY       446   USD     7 Days            Q2UP7Y3
UA         DEN     MSY       532   USD        ***            EA0FY
UA         DEN     MSY       544   USD        ***            H2UPY3
UA         DEN     MSY       652   USD        ***            MA0FY
UA         DEN     MSY       752   USD        ***            BA0FY
UA         DEN     MSY      1015   USD        ***            YUA
Old Mar 2, 2014, 6:30 pm

Originally Posted by WineCountryUA
Interesting case (the return trip), not sure how you both had the same fare class but different prices (appears to be only 1 H fare filing presently).

Appears +1 may have been offer a Q-UP fare and yours was ???H-UP looking at today's fare filings
Note the cheaper V-UP fare.

[KVS Availability Tool 7.3.3/Diamond - Fares/PSH/RU]
Code:
DEN  Denver Intl CO US [KDEN]
MSY  New Orleans Louis Armstrong Intl LA US [KMSY]
O/W  03 Mar 2014 | Economy-Low
Carrier    From    To    Fare      Cur   AdvanceP  Min  Max  Fare Basis | Travel Period
---------  ------  ----  --------  ----  --------  ---  ---  --------------------------
... (lower fares deleted)
UA         DEN     MSY       272   USD     7 Days            VA7KN
UA         DEN     MSY       353   USD    14 Days            V2UP14N3
UA         DEN     MSY       379   USD        ***            HA0KN
UA         DEN     MSY       400   USD        ***            UA0FY
UA         DEN     MSY       446   USD     7 Days            Q2UP7Y3
UA         DEN     MSY       532   USD        ***            EA0FY
UA         DEN     MSY       544   USD        ***            H2UPY3
UA         DEN     MSY       652   USD        ***            MA0FY
UA         DEN     MSY       752   USD        ***            BA0FY
UA         DEN     MSY      1015   USD        ***            YUA
We're both on the same H fare for MSY-DEN, but for DEN-MSY we're on different flights, but since I accepted the upgrades for both of those flights, it just says P, so I don't know what the original classes were. I am tempted to take the $68 for her, but $221 is a little high for 1st row of a CR7 with no meal service. If they would offer us both ~$68, I would take it and just pretend it was Y+.
Old Mar 2, 2014, 9:47 pm

Programs: UA 1K 1.1MM, CX Diam 1.0MM, Bonvoy LT Titanium, Hertz PC, MGM Pearl
What Route: IAH-FLL
Original Fare: S
Price Offered: $289
PCU/UFC PCU
Offered: At booking
Accepted: Nope
Old Mar 3, 2014, 12:16 am

Programs: UA Silver finally, DL GM until next year, Marriott Gold
Originally Posted by 1kBill
What Route: SFO-ICN
Original Fare Bucket: P
Price Offered: $989
PCU/UFC? UFC
Where it was Offered: OLCI
Accepted? Nope.

This was first offered when I was using my ipad, but I did not complete check-in. Later, I tried OLCI from my laptop, and the offer was "Treat yourself to United Global First from $4,709 per person."

At that price, I was actually wondering if I would be treating others as well to the remaining 5 unsold F seats! Definitely declined. I suspect that at least 4 of the 5 seats went to non-revs.
International F is not a cheap ticket... I don't know how much your original fare was, but those tickets can go for $12k.

As to the seats going to non-revs, they SHOULD. My opinion is that a J or F seat should not go to a passenger that does not pay for it. (revenue passenger that is)

Non-revs cost the company little, and work very hard for the privilege to travel, why should they give it away to joe schmo who paid $1000 for Y?
Old Mar 3, 2014, 1:56 am

This thread depresses me so much.
I like many others have flown UA to gain some status
The opportunity to take advantage of that status is undermined by the short termism of selling upgrades for cash ahead of upgrading elites with RPUS or GPUs.
Old Mar 3, 2014, 1:43 pm
Original Member

Programs: UA 1K/1MM, AA EXP, Marriott LT Titanium, Hyatt Globalist, IHG Plat Amb
SFO - JFK
original fare bucket: K
price offered: $1065
UFC
Where it was offered/accepted: Check-in kiosk

Declined.
Old Mar 3, 2014, 7:44 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
IHG Contributor Badge

Programs: AA Lifetime PLT, Bonvoy Lifetime Titanium, Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by lalalandMCI
As to the seats going to non-revs, they SHOULD. My opinion is that a J or F seat should not go to a passenger that does not pay for it. (revenue passenger that is)

Non-revs cost the company little, and work very hard for the privilege to travel, why should they give it away to joe schmo who paid $1000 for Y?
Your not the only who thinks this, I have posted before each profession has it's perks, and working for the airlines has them too. If someone does not purchase the upgrade that is offered then it should go to the Non_rev. Now on the flip side, I have seen and it happened to me, in where my upgrade was not given to me (domestic) but given to a Non-Rev... I did fight for that upgrade and it was given to me...
Old Mar 4, 2014, 9:43 pm

Programs: UA Silver finally, DL GM until next year, Marriott Gold
Originally Posted by FlightNurse
Your not the only who thinks this, I have posted before each profession has it's perks, and working for the airlines has them too. If someone does not purchase the upgrade that is offered then it should go to the Non_rev. Now on the flip side, I have seen and it happened to me, in where my upgrade was not given to me (domestic) but given to a Non-Rev... I did fight for that upgrade and it was given to me...
Domestic, with all the CPUs, I am shocked if a non-rev ever gets F. And if a paying passenger is eligible for the F seat they should most certainly have it! But International J and F should be reserved for paying passengers and non-revs. Elites should not be upgraded for free. (I even somewhat disagree with GPUs)
Old Mar 5, 2014, 1:51 am

Programs: United 1K, American Gold, Hilton Diamond, Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott Gold
Originally Posted by Ruhr
Route: LAX-HNL
Original fare bucket: T
Price offered: US$299
PCU/UFC?: UFC? Not sure
When offered: OLCI
Accepted!
A follow-up to this offer. I never made my LAX-HNL upgraded flight due to a delay out of Philly. Instead, I got rebooked on a direct IAH-HNL flight. There were some serious IRROPPS on this flight, which ended up getting me an e-cert for US$250, but at least they honored my first class LAX-HNL segment and put me in FC for IAH-HNL! I was so thrilled. The rebooking kept a P bucket so I ended up getting 1.5 x the PQM and PQS

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.