Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

2014 Upsell Offers to Business/First (UFC/PCU) Questions/Discussion (Paid Upgrades)

2014 Upsell Offers to Business/First (UFC/PCU) Questions/Discussion (Paid Upgrades)

Old Feb 21, 2014, 2:52 am

Programs: UA1k 3MM, AA Plt, peasant on everybody else, elite something or other at a bunch of hotels.
What Route: SFO-ICN
Original Fare Bucket: P
Price Offered: $989
PCU/UFC? UFC
Where it was Offered: OLCI
Accepted? Nope.

This was first offered when I was using my ipad, but I did not complete check-in. Later, I tried OLCI from my laptop, and the offer was "Treat yourself to United Global First from $4,709 per person."

At that price, I was actually wondering if I would be treating others as well to the remaining 5 unsold F seats! Definitely declined. I suspect that at least 4 of the 5 seats went to non-revs.
Old Feb 21, 2014, 8:16 pm
In Memoriam, FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP/MM, DL GM, UA Platinum, HH DIA, Hyatt Explorist, IHG Platinum, Marriott Titanium, Hertz PC
Booking RDU-IAD-PIT

What Route: RDU-IAD
Original Fare Bucket: T
Price Offered: $419
PCU/UFC? PCU
Where it was Offered: At Booking
Accepted? Hell No!

What Route: IAD-PIT
Original Fare Bucket: T
Price Offered: $109
PCU/UFC? PCU
Where it was Offered: At Booking
Accepted? No

The RDU-IAD one is mind boggling. IAD-PIT is slightly better (maybe if I had to check some bags) but that's still absurd for a 30 minute flight. Hell, the whole one way was only $136.
Old Feb 23, 2014, 10:36 am

Programs: UA 1K MM, Hyatt Plat
What Route? ORD-SFO-LAS
Original Fare Bucket: T for ORD-SFO/G for SFO-LAS
Price Offered: $199 for ORD-SFO/$179 for SFO-LAS
PCU/UFC? PCU
Where it was offered: After purchasing ticket
Accepted? Thinking about it for ORD-SFO seeing its on my honeymoon and I am only a lowly 1MM Gold and heck no for SFO-LAS
Old Feb 24, 2014, 5:12 pm

Programs: UA1K,SPG/P
Route: LAX-PIT
Orig. Fare Bucket: W
Offered 249 buy-up P at reservation
2/20
Accepted
The other leg PIT-LAX has an offer of 700+, declined
Old Feb 24, 2014, 6:02 pm

Route: CLE - PHX
Orig. Fare Bucket: H
Offered $215 at online check-in
Refused
Old Feb 25, 2014, 11:06 am

Programs: Hhonors Gold, DL PM
What Route: IAH-MEX
Original Fare Bucket: N
Price Offered: $429
PCU/UFC? UFC
Where it was Offered: Counter
Accepted? ...Nope
Old Feb 28, 2014, 9:40 am

Programs: United 1K, American Gold, Hilton Diamond, Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott Gold
Route: LAX-HNL
Original fare bucket: T
Price offered: US$299
PCU/UFC?: UFC? Not sure
When offered: OLCI
Accepted!

Yay, I get a nice lunch across the Pacific Ocean, less than US$300!

So now when I view my reservation, whereas before my upgrade I was in the T booking class, it's now P. Hey you experts out there, was this a UFC, or PCU? I'm having trouble telling the difference and not sure if I'm going to get PQM from my original T class (100%), or from P class (150%).

Would I get more PQD too, with this P class?

And why are folks scared of P class? I read a whole thread talking about P class and not earning miles on A3 (Aegean). Though I guess that doesn't really matter to me?

Thanks in advance.
Old Feb 28, 2014, 9:45 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AS 75K; UA 1MM; Hyatt Globalist; Marriott LTP; Hilton Diamond (Aspire)
Originally Posted by Ruhr
Route: LAX-HNL
Original fare bucket: T
Price offered: US$299
PCU/UFC?: UFC? Not sure
When offered: OLCI
Accepted!

Yay, I get a nice lunch across the Pacific Ocean, less than US$300!

So now when I view my reservation, whereas before my upgrade I was in the T booking class, it's now P. Hey you experts out there, was this a UFC, or PCU? I'm having trouble telling the difference and not sure if I'm going to get PQM from my original T class (100%), or from P class (150%).

Would I get more PQD too, with this P class?

And why are folks scared of P class? I read a whole thread talking about P class and not earning miles on A3 (Aegean). Though I guess that doesn't really matter to me?

Thanks in advance.
The buy-ups at check-in do not typically change your underlying fare basis, so it's unlikely you will accrue miles as if it were a P fare. Who knows though, you might get lucky.

There is no such thing as a PQD bonus. PQDs are PQDs, regardless of fare-class. Your buy-up payment almost certainly will not count.
Old Feb 28, 2014, 9:55 am

Programs: United 1K, American Gold, Hilton Diamond, Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott Gold
Originally Posted by Kacee
The buy-ups at check-in do not typically change your underlying fare basis, so it's unlikely you will accrue miles as if it were a P fare. Who knows though, you might get lucky.

There is no such thing as a PQD bonus. PQDs are PQDs, regardless of fare-class. Your buy-up payment almost certainly will not count.
Thanks for the clarification. So this is probably an UFC. I'm OK with that; I'm going to be travelling not feeling 100% and that last long LAX-HNL leg I certainly want to travel in comfort.

Buy-up payments (unlike Economy Plus purchases) certainly don't count for PQD right now. I wish they would, though. I left feedback to United via the Premier desk for them to consider awarding PQD credit for these buy-ups. I mean--it's extra money folks are willing to spend, so why are Economy Plus credited and these buy-ups, not?
Old Feb 28, 2014, 7:20 pm

Programs: UA1k 3MM, AA Plt, peasant on everybody else, elite something or other at a bunch of hotels.
What Route: LAX-IAH-FRA stop FRA-LHR-LAX
Original Fare Bucket: B
Price Offered: $149 for LAX-IAH; $3,500 (ish) LHR-LAX
PCU/UFC? PCU
Where it was Offered: At purchase
Accepted? Not a chance.

The LHR-LAX upcharge by itself on top of an expensive B fare would have made the total cost higher than if I just bought business right from the get-go, with the TATL red-eye still waitlisted for an upgrade.

The automatic upgrade on the LAX-IAH leg cleared shortly after booking.

I later cancelled the whole itinerary and booked business on AA for about $500 more than UA coach.
Old Feb 28, 2014, 7:26 pm

Programs: United Gold
Originally Posted by Kacee
I recently bought-up on a HNL-LAX flight where I would not have made the CPU and got the 150% PQM bonus. I think you're right though, who knows if that is SOP or just luck.
Old Feb 28, 2014, 7:27 pm

Programs: BA Gold, B6 Mosiac, VS, AA, DL (and a legacy UA 2MM)
Originally Posted by 1kBill
What Route: LAX-IAH-FRA stop FRA-LHR-LAX
Original Fare Bucket: B
Price Offered: $149 for LAX-IAH; $3,500 (ish) LHR-LAX
PCU/UFC? PCU
Where it was Offered: At purchase
Accepted? Not a chance.

The LHR-LAX upcharge by itself on top of an expensive B fare would have made the total cost higher than if I just bought business right from the get-go, with the TATL red-eye still waitlisted for an upgrade.

The automatic upgrade on the LAX-IAH leg cleared shortly after booking.

I later cancelled the whole itinerary and booked business on AA for about $500 more than UA coach.
The upgrade prices for TATL usually start out Very high at purchase and work their way down to the $500 to $800 range at OLCI if offered.
Old Feb 28, 2014, 7:33 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Amethyst Premier Plutonium Medallion
SMF-IAD-DUB-IAD-SMF
K fare (wideroe)
$619 for the domestics, $1019 for the TATLs
UFC @ OLCI

DECLINED

cleared return domestic CPU
outbound domestic left with me at #1 on WL for CPU
Old Mar 1, 2014, 2:29 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AS 75K; UA 1MM; Hyatt Globalist; Marriott LTP; Hilton Diamond (Aspire)
Originally Posted by love_to_travel
I recently bought-up on a HNL-LAX flight where I would not have made the CPU and got the 150% PQM bonus. I think you're right though, who knows if that is SOP or just luck.
Was it an up-fare (typically offered at purchase or within 24 hours of purchase) or a buy-up at check-in? The former change the fare basis and will accrue based on the new fare.

If it was the latter, I think you did get lucky There's a whole thread about buy-ups not leading to bonus mileage accrual. united-refusing-award-bonus-pqm-rdm-cash-buy-ups
Old Mar 1, 2014, 6:33 pm

Programs: UA-Gold; 1MM
what route. BKK NRT ORD
original fare bucket. L
price offered $469 to NRT, well over $1000 for NRT-ORD - didn't bother to remember
PCU/UFC? UFC
Where it was offered/accepted OLCI

Accept it or deny it? Took it to NRT on a very full plane, E+ to BF, declined out of NRT on a rather empty E+ with the 3 middle seats to myself on a 3-3-3 layout.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.