Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

MileagePlus Premier Qualifying Dollar (PQD) Requirement Discussion Thread

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Jan 1, 2014, 6:30 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: chrisl137
Please read these sources before posting in this thread:
If you have calculated the PQDs for a trip at less than 80% of the total cost, you are very likely doing something wrong. Have you made sure to include the International Surcharge (YQ)? Have you read all of the materials linked above, and the frequently made points listed below?

Specific Unanswered Questions
Please limit these to specific, technical questions about the implementation of the PQD program.
  • Will there be a calculator that shows PQD, and will that calculator be accurate?
  • What exactly will count toward PQD?
    United states:
    Base fare and carrier-imposed surcharges
    Flights flown by United, United Express, or Copa Airlines
    Flights operated by a Star Alliance® or a MileagePlus partner airline and issued on a United ticket (ticket number starting with 016)
    Economy Plus purchases
    The value of ETCs if used as a form of payment on the checkout page

will count towards PQD.

Thus:
    • The amount of co-pay when using miles to upgrade..
    • The cost of PQMs/RDMs purchased when using the premier / award accelerator..
    • The face value e-certs and travel vouchers.. (still uncertainty on this since prelim PQDs appeared to include)
    • The cost of a paid upgrade..
    • An extra seat purchase (such as for a customer of size or a musical instrument); it does not presently count toward PQM.
    • Change fees.
    will not count toward PQD.
  • How will PQD be determined for UA metal segments without 016 stock ticket?
  • What happens if I depart in December and return in January?
    Just like PQM, PQD for the applicable part of fare for the segment is credited based on the departure date (year) of the segment flown. Segment fares are calculated using standard rules of the past. For the case cited there would be PQD credited in DEC 2013 (no value) and PQD applied to 2014 applicable to 2014 and 2015 status renewal.
  • How will UA evaluate the address issue for the PQD exemption?
  • It is not clear how the timing of achieving the minimum PQD requirement will impact earning RPUs and GPUs. Examples:
    • If someone crosses 75K PQM in say April, but doesn't hit $7500 PQD until December by which time has accrued 200K PQM, will he/she get 10 RPUs all at once? (and 10 GPUs assuming $10k PQD in December)
    • Do only 1Ks/GSs earn additional RPUs by flying beyond the 100k mark?
    • If a 1K crosses the 100,000 PQM mark in January 201x, the $10,000 PQD mark on December 31 201x, and ends up flying a total of 200,000 PQMs for the year 201x, how many RPUs / GPUs will be earned?
    • Will Platinums earn 2 RPUs when crossing the 75k mark but none at incremental levels thereafter (e.g. a Plat who flies 100k EQMs, but does not meet the 1K spend, would *not* earn two more RPUs)?
  • How does IRROPs affect earning of PQDs?
    • If one travels on a non-016 ticket originally booked non-UA/Copa metal, will one earn PQDs if rebooked onto UA?
    • If one travels on a non-016 ticket originally booked on UA/Copa metal, but is rebooked onto non UA/Copa metal, will one still get credit for PQDs in these scenarios:
      • The UA/Copa segment was the source of the irrops?
      • The segment of another carrier causes the irrops, the carrier is a *A or UA/Copa partner?
      • The segment of another carrier causes the irrops, the carrier is not a *A or UA/Copa partner?
FMP (Frequently Made Points)
The following points have been made repeatedly in this thread (please feel free to add more concise points):
  • You might not be hitting the PQD minimums as easily as you think you are, given exceptions, taxes, and the existence of cheap fares.
  • It is possible for leisure travelers and even some business travelers to average well under 10cpm. This doesn't just affect "leisure 1Ks" and people on the edge of categories.
  • Presidential Plus card members (exempted from Silver/Gold/Plat PQD requirements) are most likely exempted because the FlexPQM program would complicate matters.
  • Manufacturing $25,000 spend might not actually be so hard. There's a whole forum on it.
  • The $25,000 spend can be done across multiple Chase MP cards, as long as the cards are tied to the same MileagePlus account.
  • The exceptions don't really make sense where there is a revenue-sharing joint venture in place, such as with LH on TATL routes.
  • Leaving UA for AA over objections to dollar-based status may be futile because all the majors will likely go to this model with the possible exception of the AS program which allows you to bank your DL and AA miles into one account (DL has already).
  • UA is tracking spend on UA metal now.
  • YQ, also known as the "international surcharge," is a carrier-imposed surcharge and is included in PQD.
Related Threads
Moderator's note:

Previous thread can be found here:

MileagePlus Premier Qualifying Dollar (PQD) Requirement Discussion [ARCHIVE]

iluv2fly
Moderator, UA
Print Wikipost

MileagePlus Premier Qualifying Dollar (PQD) Requirement Discussion Thread

Search this Thread

Old Jan 2, 2014, 11:12 am

Programs: UA Premier Gold, Starwood Gold, Plat AE, CO PP MC, Marriott Rewards Plat, Virgin Elevate Gold
Originally Posted by Xyzzy
From the 'My accunt' screen select 'View Premier Progress' and a popup should show "Presidential Plus PQD waiver - Eligible."
Perfect!

Thank you

By the way, a friend and I began an interesting discussion.

Suppose that someone flies 75,000 miles, but incredibly, spends only $4,900 - according to the chart, this person now only qualifies for Silver????

Or, someone flies 100,000 miles, but spends 9,900 - are they only Gold
Old Jan 2, 2014, 11:18 am

Originally Posted by caseminole
Perfect!

Thank you

By the way, a friend and I began an interesting discussion.

Suppose that someone flies 75,000 miles, but incredibly, spends only $4,900 - according to the chart, this person now only qualifies for Silver????

Or, someone flies 100,000 miles, but spends 9,900 - are they only Gold
75,000 miles/PQM's and $2,400 PQD = No status

75,000 miles and $4,900 = Silver

100,000 miles and $9,900 = Plat

In 2014, we'll need to coin a new term: "Dollar Run", or "PQD Run". (There, I just did.)
Old Jan 2, 2014, 11:30 am

Programs: UA Premier Gold, Starwood Gold, Plat AE, CO PP MC, Marriott Rewards Plat, Virgin Elevate Gold
Originally Posted by LarkSFO

In 2014, we'll need to coin a new term: "Dollar Run", or "PQD Run". (There, I just did.)
I think it will be difficult to travel 75,000 miles, but spend only $4,900 but I guess its possible

Opens up all kinds of other questions. What if you travel for business, and technically your company buys the ticket, do they count that $ as "yours" (my guess is yes).

Also, if you purchase PQMs, does that $ count towards PQDs?
Old Jan 2, 2014, 11:31 am

Programs: was UA 1K now Gold, cuz UA 1.3 MM; HA,DL,AS (no status in these), Marriott Gold

Perhaps BitCoin might be more appropriate
Old Jan 2, 2014, 11:46 am

Programs: CO Gold, SPG Gold
I believe speculation here on FT has it that the E+ buy ups are the only things that UA's IT systems can accurately track, hence this revenue can be counted towards your PQD's.

This could, of course, be urban legend...
As you note, only speculation, but it is consistent with the following attributes:
1. Baggage fees are not allocated to the segment, but to the O&D. Thus there would be more programming to do this allocation.
2. Upgrade for Cash (UFC in the PCU/UFC thread) doesn't seem to be naturally allocated to the segment but rather to the O&D. Would require an allocation algorithm which means some product management and business analysis before programming.
3. Premium Cabin Upsell *should* be allocable to the segment level because it's an upsell to an actual published fare and so the segment allocation rules of fare construction should be usable.

I'm not saying that UA couldn't do this work nor that they won't, but it is extra work.
Old Jan 2, 2014, 11:50 am

Programs: UA Gold, National Exec
How are Promotional Certificates handled?

I read through the forum but didn't see how these might be handled if you are using them to offset cost of fare. Can someone address this?
Old Jan 2, 2014, 11:56 am
RNE

By the way, a friend and I began an interesting discussion. Suppose that someone flies 75,000 miles, but incredibly, spends only $4,900 - according to the chart, this person now only qualifies for Silver????
Yup. It's a brave new world! Same thing at DL. And AA is sure to follow in 2015.

"Dollar run" was coined months ago.

Originally Posted by drowelf
Something that has struck me as strange, since this was announced, is why does E+ purchases count for PQD? I doubt that many Golds and Higher are buying E+, as they get it for free. How many Silvers are buying E+ vs playing the T-24 Lottery?
Some folks think Silvers were relegated to E+ scroungers because UA wanted to ensure higher-tier elites always got a good seat in E+. However, I think UA's intent was to get Silvers to pay for E+. Making such purchases count toward PQD is further incentive for Silvers to buy E+.

RNE, next year E+ may not be free to Silvers.
Old Jan 2, 2014, 12:03 pm

Programs: AAEXP, BASlv, UAGold, Hyatt Diam, IHG Plt, SPG Plt, HH Diam, MR Plat, CC Gold, Nat ExecElite
I think it will be difficult to travel 75,000 miles, but spend only $4,900 but I guess its possible
Really depends on travel patterns. But it's very possible, especially on longhaul competitive routes. For example, BOS-SFO is typically $350 or less RT if you buy well enough in advance. If you took 14 of those trips you'd have flown 75,712 miles and only have about $4,400 in PQD, assuming about 90% of the fare paid would count towards PQD.
Old Jan 2, 2014, 12:04 pm
sb3

Programs: UA-1K

Opens up all kinds of other questions. What if you travel for business, and technically your company buys the ticket, do they count that $ as "yours" (my guess is yes).

Also, if you purchase PQMs, does that $ count towards PQDs?
Bolding above mine. This one has been answered. The person doing the flying gets the credit to their MP account.

Same goes if you buy tickets for multiple family members, the $ spent goes to each individual ticket for PQD purposes, not the person/company who pays. That said, if you're using a United CC and are looking for the $ waiver, then the amount spent on the credit card goes to the person who is billed.
Old Jan 2, 2014, 12:06 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Originally Posted by lensman
3. Premium Cabin Upsell *should* be allocable to the segment level because it's an upsell to an actual published fare and so the segment allocation rules of fare construction should be usable.
According to the MPSC, upgrades purchased through the "manage my reservations" tab (not the UGs offered at time of original flight purchase) will count as PQD.
Old Jan 2, 2014, 12:21 pm

Programs: UA 1K 1MM, AA, DL
Originally Posted by LaserSailor
Silly unless they are protecting the 1K and GS levels for people who actually fly the miles, which makes sense. The people who buy status can just as quickly buy it from another carrier, so it makes sense to keep them from the good perks.
Well, GS goes beyond miles/segments.

As for 1K, why don't they protect it from PQM purchases? They protect it from credit card flex PQMs and the like, but you can still buy up to 1K.

Originally Posted by AlohafromKOA
I read through the forum but didn't see how these might be handled if you are using them to offset cost of fare. Can someone address this?
T&C seems to say those count as PQDs (i.e., the PQDs are the pre-discount price).

Last edited by iluv2fly; Jan 3, 2014 at 2:47 am Reason: merge
Old Jan 2, 2014, 1:10 pm

Programs: UA 1K MM, IHG Plat Amb, HH Diamond
Originally Posted by DelrayChris
Do ticket purchases factor differently than mile purchases on UA's SEC filings? It either has something to do with that or with UA not wanting people to be able to, in effect, buy their status. Allowing people to buy their status or to have certain requirements waived with a stupid credit card only serves to dilute the program.
First of all, I am that passenger two in the above comment. Second, people have been buying their status with Award Accelerator for how long? Third, there is a reason why 1K Status is not given with CC spending and its those 6 GPU's.
I don't know why someone who just barely crosses the 100K EQM mark is considered "low hanging fruit"? There is a thresh hold and 100K is that level. Is there a low hanging GS for those that only spend $30,001 dollars?
Old Jan 2, 2014, 2:19 pm

Programs: UA MM, AS MVPG75K, Marriott Lifetime Gold
Appears that International Surcharge is no longer included in PQD from what I see in my receipts.
Old Jan 2, 2014, 3:09 pm

Programs: kayaker
Appears that International Surcharge is no longer included in PQD from what I see in my receipts.
Can you give specifics? Perhaps if we get several people to post specific examples of tickets with resulting PQD, we can get a wiki going to sort out what qualifies.
Old Jan 2, 2014, 3:36 pm

Programs: UA MM, AS MVPG75K, Marriott Lifetime Gold
Originally Posted by o mikros
Can you give specifics? Perhaps if we get several people to post specific examples of tickets with resulting PQD, we can get a wiki going to sort out what qualifies.
Here...
The airfare you paid on this itinerary totals: 516.00 USD
The taxes, fees, and surcharges paid total: 652.40 USD

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.