Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

MileagePlus Premier Qualifying Dollar (PQD) Requirement Discussion Thread

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Jan 1, 2014, 6:30 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: chrisl137
Please read these sources before posting in this thread:
If you have calculated the PQDs for a trip at less than 80% of the total cost, you are very likely doing something wrong. Have you made sure to include the International Surcharge (YQ)? Have you read all of the materials linked above, and the frequently made points listed below?

Specific Unanswered Questions
Please limit these to specific, technical questions about the implementation of the PQD program.
  • Will there be a calculator that shows PQD, and will that calculator be accurate?
  • What exactly will count toward PQD?
    United states:
    Base fare and carrier-imposed surcharges
    Flights flown by United, United Express, or Copa Airlines
    Flights operated by a Star Alliance® or a MileagePlus partner airline and issued on a United ticket (ticket number starting with 016)
    Economy Plus purchases
    The value of ETCs if used as a form of payment on the checkout page

will count towards PQD.

Thus:
    • The amount of co-pay when using miles to upgrade..
    • The cost of PQMs/RDMs purchased when using the premier / award accelerator..
    • The face value e-certs and travel vouchers.. (still uncertainty on this since prelim PQDs appeared to include)
    • The cost of a paid upgrade..
    • An extra seat purchase (such as for a customer of size or a musical instrument); it does not presently count toward PQM.
    • Change fees.
    will not count toward PQD.
  • How will PQD be determined for UA metal segments without 016 stock ticket?
  • What happens if I depart in December and return in January?
    Just like PQM, PQD for the applicable part of fare for the segment is credited based on the departure date (year) of the segment flown. Segment fares are calculated using standard rules of the past. For the case cited there would be PQD credited in DEC 2013 (no value) and PQD applied to 2014 applicable to 2014 and 2015 status renewal.
  • How will UA evaluate the address issue for the PQD exemption?
  • It is not clear how the timing of achieving the minimum PQD requirement will impact earning RPUs and GPUs. Examples:
    • If someone crosses 75K PQM in say April, but doesn't hit $7500 PQD until December by which time has accrued 200K PQM, will he/she get 10 RPUs all at once? (and 10 GPUs assuming $10k PQD in December)
    • Do only 1Ks/GSs earn additional RPUs by flying beyond the 100k mark?
    • If a 1K crosses the 100,000 PQM mark in January 201x, the $10,000 PQD mark on December 31 201x, and ends up flying a total of 200,000 PQMs for the year 201x, how many RPUs / GPUs will be earned?
    • Will Platinums earn 2 RPUs when crossing the 75k mark but none at incremental levels thereafter (e.g. a Plat who flies 100k EQMs, but does not meet the 1K spend, would *not* earn two more RPUs)?
  • How does IRROPs affect earning of PQDs?
    • If one travels on a non-016 ticket originally booked non-UA/Copa metal, will one earn PQDs if rebooked onto UA?
    • If one travels on a non-016 ticket originally booked on UA/Copa metal, but is rebooked onto non UA/Copa metal, will one still get credit for PQDs in these scenarios:
      • The UA/Copa segment was the source of the irrops?
      • The segment of another carrier causes the irrops, the carrier is a *A or UA/Copa partner?
      • The segment of another carrier causes the irrops, the carrier is not a *A or UA/Copa partner?
FMP (Frequently Made Points)
The following points have been made repeatedly in this thread (please feel free to add more concise points):
  • You might not be hitting the PQD minimums as easily as you think you are, given exceptions, taxes, and the existence of cheap fares.
  • It is possible for leisure travelers and even some business travelers to average well under 10cpm. This doesn't just affect "leisure 1Ks" and people on the edge of categories.
  • Presidential Plus card members (exempted from Silver/Gold/Plat PQD requirements) are most likely exempted because the FlexPQM program would complicate matters.
  • Manufacturing $25,000 spend might not actually be so hard. There's a whole forum on it.
  • The $25,000 spend can be done across multiple Chase MP cards, as long as the cards are tied to the same MileagePlus account.
  • The exceptions don't really make sense where there is a revenue-sharing joint venture in place, such as with LH on TATL routes.
  • Leaving UA for AA over objections to dollar-based status may be futile because all the majors will likely go to this model with the possible exception of the AS program which allows you to bank your DL and AA miles into one account (DL has already).
  • UA is tracking spend on UA metal now.
  • YQ, also known as the "international surcharge," is a carrier-imposed surcharge and is included in PQD.
Related Threads
Moderator's note:

Previous thread can be found here:

MileagePlus Premier Qualifying Dollar (PQD) Requirement Discussion [ARCHIVE]

iluv2fly
Moderator, UA
Print Wikipost

MileagePlus Premier Qualifying Dollar (PQD) Requirement Discussion Thread

Search this Thread

Old Jan 2, 2014, 3:43 pm

Programs: Continental
I just got a BF to GF buyup offer at OLCI for my SFO-FRA flight tomorrow.
It was $950.
If it would count towards the PQD, maybe I would have done it.....
Old Jan 2, 2014, 4:10 pm
Suspended

Programs: DL SM, UA MP.
Originally Posted by hockey7711
It was $950.
Why don't you ask them and then if they say it doesn't count, you should tell them you would have bought it otherwise.

So that they have feedback about the incremental revenues they're going to lose.
Old Jan 2, 2014, 5:16 pm

Programs: MP,MR Silver,Avis
Can you give specifics? Perhaps if we get several people to post specific examples of tickets with resulting PQD, we can get a wiki going to sort out what qualifies.
The airfare you paid on this itinerary totals: 516.00 USD
The taxes, fees, and surcharges paid total: 652.40 USD
But what was earned as PQD? What was the international surcharge? Without that, there's not enough information.
Old Jan 2, 2014, 5:41 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by bmvaughn
Appears that International Surcharge is no longer included in PQD from what I see in my receipts.
Has it actually posted yet? If not, when it does let us know how PQD posted.
Old Jan 2, 2014, 5:41 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Silver, Marriott Gold, Hilton Gold
Appears that International Surcharge is no longer included in PQD from what I see in my receipts.
How do you figure.

The simple breakout on the receipt for airfare vs. taxes, fees and surcharges has been like that for as long as I can remember since the PMCO system took over. The international surcharge has always been included in that second line. Did your PQD actually post like that, or is this just an assumption, likely a bad one, on your part?

Given its Jan. 2 and PQM/PQS take 2 days to post generally, and likely PQD as well, I'm guessing its the latter?

The receipt breakout doesn't back up your statement at all. It is adding certain lines from a detailed breakout together to get a total. Absolutely not difficult to have the PQD total be added from a different set of lines from your detailed breakout.
Old Jan 2, 2014, 5:49 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Plat, Marriott Gold
Originally Posted by caseminole
Also, if you purchase PQMs, does that $ count towards PQDs?
In possibly the craziest part of this whole scheme, no.

Here...
Neither of those lines are the PQD total, it's a combination of parts of each.
Old Jan 2, 2014, 9:11 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: OWEmerald; STARGold; BonvoyPlat; IHGPlat/Amb; HiltonGold; A|ClubPat; AirMilesPlat
Originally Posted by emcampbe
It has always been posted that PQD will post just like PQM/PQS - to the traveller (not purchaser - of they are different) and based on flight date. PQM/S have always posted based on date of departure. And to further clarify, scheduled date of departure. Not sure where you would get a 12/31 departure, even one landing on 1/1, would qualify for PQD.

In the case where you have a 12/31 red eye landing on 1/1, and then a connection on 1/1, the amount allocated to the connection should count toward 2014 PQD.
Exactly. If the miles count towards 2015 qualification, then the PQDs will. If miles count towards 2014 status, then why should it be expected the PQDs would count towards 2015? If there's an onward flight on the 1st then the PQDs will be pro-rated.
Old Jan 2, 2014, 10:18 pm

Originally Posted by hockey7711
It was $950.
Yes, I think this is exactly what UA needs to consider...

An upsell offer, which qualifies for PQD's as well, makes our twisted little frequent flyer brains react like Pavlov's dog...

It's $950. Which gets me $950 closer to the $10K 1K PQD spend...

Sounds like a great offer!
Old Jan 2, 2014, 10:27 pm

Programs: *A Junkie, SQ PPS, Skywards Gold, 2 Million Mile Flyer;*wood LT Plat, BA MM
Million Milers?

I don't trust United anymore - it's what is NOT mentioned about Million Milers which concerns me.

Among other things, I see that this web page for UA discusses the “minimum number of paid flights/segments each year” to maintain elite status.

There is a section of the cited link that discusses “waivers and exemptions” for the minimum flights and segments. Below I have pasted the portion of the page that is of concern to me as well as other million-milers.

Some waivers and exemptions to Premier qualification requirements apply.

Learn more about waivers and exemptions

Waiver for PQD requirement

In 2014, the PQD requirement is waived for Premier Silver, Premier Gold and Premier Platinum qualification if you meet one of the following criteria:
You spend at least $25,000 in Net Purchases in 2014 on a MileagePlus co-branded credit card issued by Chase Bank USA, N.A.
OR
You hold a United MileagePlus Presidential Plus^(SM) Card.1
The PQD waiver does not apply for Premier 1K qualification.
If you use a military or diplomatic address (APO, DPO or FPO), you are exempt from the PQD requirement for all Premier levels, including Premier 1K.

Waiver for four-segment minimum

If you hold a MileagePlus Presidential Plus Card1 or a United MileagePlus Club Card, you are exempt from the four-segment minimum as long as you are the primary Cardmember and your Credit Card account is in good standing at the time of qualification.

1The MileagePlus Presidential Plus Credit Card is no longer available to new applicants.

I distinctly recall that this same issue (minimum paid flights and segments) came up during the madness that occurred after the UA management gutted the PMUA MMile Flyer Program. I also recall that million-milers were to be exempt from the minimum paid four flights and segments.

However, I cannot see where in the “Waiver for PQD requirement” or “Waiver for four-segment minimum” it is mentioned that million-milers are included in the waiver.

Could I be so dense as to not see the waiver on the above UA web page? Could the waiver be in some other section of united.com?

I also looked on this page applicable to the million-mile program:

https://www.united.com/web/en-US/con...lifetime.aspx?

There is one line on that page that is ambiguous because it implies that we are exempt but does not specifically state that we are - - here is that sentence:

“The Million Miler program grants lifetime Premier status to all qualifying members, even if they fly less in the future.”

That ambiguous sentence could mean that we are exempt from reaching 50,000 miles but that we could fly less (such as four segments) to maintain “lifetime gold.”

I have learned since the merger that black and white is not always black and white when dealing with UA management. Do we know, for certain, if we are exempt from the minimum four segment flights? If so, is there a citation from UA?
Old Jan 2, 2014, 10:42 pm

Programs: United 1.9MM
Originally Posted by sriki
I am one of those unique cases who actually has a permanent residence outside USA, but living in USA temporarily for many years now. I logged in this morning to check out the website and was confused as I did not see the PQD line. I logged back and forth and to see if that gets fixed and then when I looked at my address it was showing my non-US address. I thought I had my current US address on there (maybe I changed it a while back and forgot, but, I cannot recall doing it). Now, I'm contemplating changing it to my US address so I can have a accurate(trusting United) representation of my PQD, but, wondering if there are any cons to "moving back to USA"
You're not THAT unique! Anyway, keep your foreign address. You'd be insane to subject yourself to all the uncertainty that will swirl around the program this year.
Old Jan 2, 2014, 10:58 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: Between AUS, EWR, and YTO In a little twisty maze of airline seats, all alike.. but I wanna go home with the armadillo
Programs: CO, NW, & UA forum moderator emeritus
Originally Posted by UrbaneGent
Do we know, for certain, if we are exempt from the minimum four segment flights? If so, is there a citation from UA?
There is no segment requirement for MM members at their lifetime status level because they already have attained that level. Should a 1MM member, for example, not fly UA at that member would be a MP Premier Gold member every year for the rest of his life. Should that 1MM member credit 75kPQM to his MP account without the four segments or without $7500 PQD that member wuld still be MP Premier Gold.

I can certainly understand the desire to see this specifically detailed in writing but I think it's impossible to read the UA Million Miler page and think that a 1MM member needs to do anything but breath in order to be Premier Gold every year. It does say, "The Million Miler program grants lifetime Premier status to all qualifying members, even if they fly less in the future." (bolding added)
Old Jan 3, 2014, 5:25 am

Programs: UA 1K, AF FB silver
Unused ticket

Do $$ spent for an unused ticket count as PQD? The common sense tells me that if UA wants the money, they should not care whether the ticket is used or not, as long as it is not reimbursed.
Old Jan 3, 2014, 5:35 am

Originally Posted by easte
Do $$ spent for an unused ticket count as PQD? The common sense tells me that if UA wants the money, they should not care whether the ticket is used or not, as long as it is not reimbursed.
Must be used before credited just like PQM and PQS earnings.
Old Jan 3, 2014, 5:40 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Originally Posted by LarkSFO
Yes, I think this is exactly what UA needs to consider...

An upsell offer, which qualifies for PQD's as well, makes our twisted little frequent flyer brains react like Pavlov's dog...

It's $950. Which gets me $950 closer to the $10K 1K PQD spend...

Sounds like a great offer!
Unless I'm mistaken, upsell offers at OLCI and at purchase don't count as PQD. OTOH, the MPSC has said that upgrades purchased through the "manage your reservations" tab do count.
Old Jan 3, 2014, 5:56 am

Programs: UA "Lifetime" Gold, AS MVPG100K, OW Emerald, HH Lifetime Diamond, IC Plat, Marriott Gold, Hertz Gold
Originally Posted by Xyzzy
I can certainly understand the desire to see this specifically detailed in writing but I think it's impossible to read the UA Million Miler page and think that a 1MM member needs to do anything but breath in order to be Premier Gold every year. It does say, "The Million Miler program grants lifetime Premier status to all qualifying members, even if they fly less in the future." (bolding added)
And we Million Milers know for a fact that UA stands behind its lifetime promises, at least until it doesn't.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.