Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

MileagePlus Premier Qualifying Dollar (PQD) Requirement Discussion Thread

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Jan 1, 2014, 6:30 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: chrisl137
Please read these sources before posting in this thread:
If you have calculated the PQDs for a trip at less than 80% of the total cost, you are very likely doing something wrong. Have you made sure to include the International Surcharge (YQ)? Have you read all of the materials linked above, and the frequently made points listed below?

Specific Unanswered Questions
Please limit these to specific, technical questions about the implementation of the PQD program.
  • Will there be a calculator that shows PQD, and will that calculator be accurate?
  • What exactly will count toward PQD?
    United states:
    Base fare and carrier-imposed surcharges
    Flights flown by United, United Express, or Copa Airlines
    Flights operated by a Star Alliance® or a MileagePlus partner airline and issued on a United ticket (ticket number starting with 016)
    Economy Plus purchases
    The value of ETCs if used as a form of payment on the checkout page

will count towards PQD.

Thus:
    • The amount of co-pay when using miles to upgrade..
    • The cost of PQMs/RDMs purchased when using the premier / award accelerator..
    • The face value e-certs and travel vouchers.. (still uncertainty on this since prelim PQDs appeared to include)
    • The cost of a paid upgrade..
    • An extra seat purchase (such as for a customer of size or a musical instrument); it does not presently count toward PQM.
    • Change fees.
    will not count toward PQD.
  • How will PQD be determined for UA metal segments without 016 stock ticket?
  • What happens if I depart in December and return in January?
    Just like PQM, PQD for the applicable part of fare for the segment is credited based on the departure date (year) of the segment flown. Segment fares are calculated using standard rules of the past. For the case cited there would be PQD credited in DEC 2013 (no value) and PQD applied to 2014 applicable to 2014 and 2015 status renewal.
  • How will UA evaluate the address issue for the PQD exemption?
  • It is not clear how the timing of achieving the minimum PQD requirement will impact earning RPUs and GPUs. Examples:
    • If someone crosses 75K PQM in say April, but doesn't hit $7500 PQD until December by which time has accrued 200K PQM, will he/she get 10 RPUs all at once? (and 10 GPUs assuming $10k PQD in December)
    • Do only 1Ks/GSs earn additional RPUs by flying beyond the 100k mark?
    • If a 1K crosses the 100,000 PQM mark in January 201x, the $10,000 PQD mark on December 31 201x, and ends up flying a total of 200,000 PQMs for the year 201x, how many RPUs / GPUs will be earned?
    • Will Platinums earn 2 RPUs when crossing the 75k mark but none at incremental levels thereafter (e.g. a Plat who flies 100k EQMs, but does not meet the 1K spend, would *not* earn two more RPUs)?
  • How does IRROPs affect earning of PQDs?
    • If one travels on a non-016 ticket originally booked non-UA/Copa metal, will one earn PQDs if rebooked onto UA?
    • If one travels on a non-016 ticket originally booked on UA/Copa metal, but is rebooked onto non UA/Copa metal, will one still get credit for PQDs in these scenarios:
      • The UA/Copa segment was the source of the irrops?
      • The segment of another carrier causes the irrops, the carrier is a *A or UA/Copa partner?
      • The segment of another carrier causes the irrops, the carrier is not a *A or UA/Copa partner?
FMP (Frequently Made Points)
The following points have been made repeatedly in this thread (please feel free to add more concise points):
  • You might not be hitting the PQD minimums as easily as you think you are, given exceptions, taxes, and the existence of cheap fares.
  • It is possible for leisure travelers and even some business travelers to average well under 10cpm. This doesn't just affect "leisure 1Ks" and people on the edge of categories.
  • Presidential Plus card members (exempted from Silver/Gold/Plat PQD requirements) are most likely exempted because the FlexPQM program would complicate matters.
  • Manufacturing $25,000 spend might not actually be so hard. There's a whole forum on it.
  • The $25,000 spend can be done across multiple Chase MP cards, as long as the cards are tied to the same MileagePlus account.
  • The exceptions don't really make sense where there is a revenue-sharing joint venture in place, such as with LH on TATL routes.
  • Leaving UA for AA over objections to dollar-based status may be futile because all the majors will likely go to this model with the possible exception of the AS program which allows you to bank your DL and AA miles into one account (DL has already).
  • UA is tracking spend on UA metal now.
  • YQ, also known as the "international surcharge," is a carrier-imposed surcharge and is included in PQD.
Related Threads
Moderator's note:

Previous thread can be found here:

MileagePlus Premier Qualifying Dollar (PQD) Requirement Discussion [ARCHIVE]

iluv2fly
Moderator, UA
Print Wikipost

MileagePlus Premier Qualifying Dollar (PQD) Requirement Discussion Thread

Search this Thread

Old Dec 14, 2014, 10:34 pm
Moderator: United Airlines

Programs: UA Plat 1.995MM, Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott Plat/LT Gold, Hilton Silver, IHG Plat
Originally Posted by daganderson
...I am not sure how UA calculates PQD as if they would just use the airfare paid or if it was the ticket total. ...
PQDs are base airfare and carrier imposed charges but not airport / government fees/taxes. See the wiki.

So you may be a few dollars short. No one knows if UA will be strict or have some grace amount.
If you are within the 2 hour cancellation period, try to up fare 1 fare class - maybe in just one direction.
Old Dec 17, 2014, 12:08 pm

Programs: AC SE, AA EXP MM, UA Gold MM, Hyatt Glob, Marriott Titanium, HH Dia, IHG Plat
Does anyone have an answer yet to these questions from the Wiki?

It is not clear how the timing of achieving the minimum PQD requirement will impact earning RPUs and GPUs. Examples:
If someone crosses 75K PQM in say April, but doesn't hit $7500 PQD until December by which time has accrued 200K PQM, will he/she get 10 RPUs all at once? (and 10 GPUs assuming $10k PQD in December)
Do only 1Ks/GSs earn additional RPUs by flying beyond the 100k mark?
If a 1K crosses the 100,000 PQM mark in January 201x, the $10,000 PQD mark on December 31 201x, and ends up flying a total of 200,000 PQMs for the year 201x, how many RPUs / GPUs will be earned?
Will Platinums earn 2 RPUs when crossing the 75k mark but none at incremental levels thereafter (e.g. a Plat who flies 100k EQMs, but does not meet the 1K spend, would *not* earn two more RPUs)?
How does IRROPs affect earning of PQDs?

Here is what UA has to say, from their website:

Premier members will earn six Global Premier Upgrades upon meeting all qualification requirements of Premier 1K® status. An additional two Global Premier Upgrades will be awarded for each 50,000 Premier qualifying miles or 60 Premier qualifying segments earned thereafter during the same calendar year that Premier 1K was reached.

AND

Premier members will earn two Regional Premier Upgrades upon meeting all qualification requirements of Premier Platinum status, plus two more upon meeting all qualification requirements of Premier 1K® status. An additional two Regional Premier Upgrades will be awarded for each 25,000 Premier qualifying miles or 30 Premier qualifying segments earned thereafter during the same calendar year that Premier 1K was reached.

To me, this says that a Platinum member qualifying for PQD via credit card spend would never earn more than 2 RPUs, even if they travel 200,000 or more miles. And a 1K that doesn't qualify until late in the year because of the PQD requirement would not earn more than 2 RPUs until that date. If that 1K travels over 250,000 PQMs before reaching the PQD threshold, they'll sacrifice 6 extra GPUs and 12 extra RPUs that would have been earned had they hit the PQD threshold early in the year. They'll just get the basic 1K package of 6 GPUs and 2 extra RPUs.

Am I wrong in these assumptions?
Old Dec 17, 2014, 12:13 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AS 75K; UA 1MM; Hyatt Globalist; Marriott LTP; Hilton Diamond (Aspire)
Originally Posted by Explore
Am I wrong in these assumptions?
Right on the first, wrong on the second.

A Plat who doesn't meet 1K qualification requirements never earns more than 2 RPU.

A 1K will instantly earn all accrued instruments upon clearing 10K PQD.
Old Dec 20, 2014, 11:47 am

Originally Posted by joshwex90
Does Premier Accelerator count?
No, E+ purchases are the only add-on that contribute to PQD. While I do think it would be great if things like TOD/HOD upgrades and PQM purchases also contributed to PQD, United probably considers that this would make it too easy for achieving higher status.

I think the strategy behind only offering PQD on E+ purchases is to entice non-elite flyers to try to achieve status. E+ purchases don't offer much value to existing elites since they already have at least some degree of complimentary access to E+. However, using this reasoning, I wonder why United doesn't offer some amount of PQD on other items that they hope to promote:

* baggage fees
* on-board food/drink purchases
* duty free purchases
* change fees
* fare lock fees
Old Dec 24, 2014, 11:49 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Plat 2MM. DL Plat, AS MVP
Copa and Pqd on non 016 stock

I know things will change next March wirh Copa and MP.

But for now, do Copa flights on non UA stock earn pqd's?
Old Dec 24, 2014, 1:31 pm

Programs: AS 75K; UA 1MM; Hyatt Globalist; Marriott LTP; Hilton Diamond (Aspire)
Yes if booked on CM stock.
Old Dec 25, 2014, 7:26 am

Programs: UA MM, Hilton, Marriott, Hyatt
COPA pqd's

Originally Posted by Kacee
Yes if booked on CM stock.
Just remember that CM is stingier in how they award the pqd's. If booked on 016 UA adds to the base fare the taxes; CM does not.
Old Dec 25, 2014, 9:26 am

Originally Posted by janicerobertson
Just remember that CM is stingier in how they award the pqd's. If booked on 016 UA adds to the base fare the taxes; CM does not.
Taxes are not included in PQD.

Do taxes count toward PQD?
No. Government-imposed taxes, fees and charges do not count toward PQD.

Premier Qualifying Dollar FAQs
Old Dec 26, 2014, 4:07 pm

Programs: AC SE, AA EXP MM, UA Gold MM, Hyatt Glob, Marriott Titanium, HH Dia, IHG Plat
Originally Posted by Miggles

I think the strategy behind only offering PQD on E+ purchases is to entice non-elite flyers to try to achieve status. E+ purchases don't offer much value to existing elites since they already have at least some degree of complimentary access to E+. However, using this reasoning, I wonder why United doesn't offer some amount of PQD on other items that they hope to promote:

* baggage fees
* duty free purchases
* change fees
* fare lock fees
These things amount to chump change for most people. What would make a difference are

- copay for international upgrades from W,V,Q fares
- instant upgrade offers
- Award Accelerator on long/expensive itins (if offered under the new earning scheme)
-
Old Dec 26, 2014, 7:03 pm

Originally Posted by Explore
These things amount to chump change for most people.
-
??? I easily spend $1-2K per year on change fees; sometimes more. Far and away my highest ancillary spend item.
Old Dec 26, 2014, 8:35 pm

Programs: Lifetime UA 1K, Lifetime Hilton Diamond, Lifetime Marriott Bonvoy Titanium
Originally Posted by Miggles
However, using this reasoning, I wonder why United doesn't offer some amount of PQD on other items that they hope to promote:

* baggage fees
* duty free purchases
* change fees
* fare lock fees
+1. I have $3,000 in change fees this year...
Old Jan 3, 2015, 8:25 pm

Programs: AS MVP, Hyatt Globalist
Originally Posted by WineCountryUA
If *A flights are not on 016 (UA) ticket stock, then no PQD credit. UA flights will earn PQD regardless of ticket stock.

no reliable data for next year status yet but for starters $40K and 40 cpm seem to roughly be the mins based on recent reports.
So, is there an answer to the "unanswered questions" now? Say a non-016 ticket SFO-LAX-NRT with a single UA segment such as SFO-LAX, how do they decompose the ticket price down to the segment for PQD?
Old Jan 3, 2015, 10:13 pm

Programs: UA Plat 1.995MM, Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott Plat/LT Gold, Hilton Silver, IHG Plat
Originally Posted by zig2
So, is there an answer to the "unanswered questions" now? Say a non-016 ticket SFO-LAX-NRT with a single UA segment such as SFO-LAX, how do they decompose the ticket price down to the segment for PQD?
PQD = UA's portion of rev ? (should be able to determined that from the fare construction). Expect very little for SFO-LAX on SFO-LAX-NRT
Old Jan 3, 2015, 10:37 pm

Programs: AS MVP, Hyatt Globalist
Originally Posted by WineCountryUA
PQD = UA's portion of rev ? (should be able to determined that from the fare construction). Expect very little for SFO-LAX on SFO-LAX-NRT
I find it hard to compute, at least in my mind. These fares are filed by partners, for example, NH. How do they split the money? By distance flown? Then what will happen to fare rules including "100$ for a stopover"?
Old Jan 3, 2015, 11:45 pm

Originally Posted by zig2
I find it hard to compute, at least in my mind. These fares are filed by partners, for example, NH. How do they split the money? By distance flown? Then what will happen to fare rules including "100$ for a stopover"?
From the fare construction one could make a fair estimate. As discussed in this thread, you can use the Saudi air site to get the fare breakout -- reading the fare construction does take some practice.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.