Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

MileagePlus Premier Qualifying Dollar (PQD) Requirement Discussion Thread

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Jan 1, 2014, 6:30 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: chrisl137
Please read these sources before posting in this thread:
If you have calculated the PQDs for a trip at less than 80% of the total cost, you are very likely doing something wrong. Have you made sure to include the International Surcharge (YQ)? Have you read all of the materials linked above, and the frequently made points listed below?

Specific Unanswered Questions
Please limit these to specific, technical questions about the implementation of the PQD program.
  • Will there be a calculator that shows PQD, and will that calculator be accurate?
  • What exactly will count toward PQD?
    United states:
    Base fare and carrier-imposed surcharges
    Flights flown by United, United Express, or Copa Airlines
    Flights operated by a Star Alliance® or a MileagePlus partner airline and issued on a United ticket (ticket number starting with 016)
    Economy Plus purchases
    The value of ETCs if used as a form of payment on the checkout page

will count towards PQD.

Thus:
    • The amount of co-pay when using miles to upgrade..
    • The cost of PQMs/RDMs purchased when using the premier / award accelerator..
    • The face value e-certs and travel vouchers.. (still uncertainty on this since prelim PQDs appeared to include)
    • The cost of a paid upgrade..
    • An extra seat purchase (such as for a customer of size or a musical instrument); it does not presently count toward PQM.
    • Change fees.
    will not count toward PQD.
  • How will PQD be determined for UA metal segments without 016 stock ticket?
  • What happens if I depart in December and return in January?
    Just like PQM, PQD for the applicable part of fare for the segment is credited based on the departure date (year) of the segment flown. Segment fares are calculated using standard rules of the past. For the case cited there would be PQD credited in DEC 2013 (no value) and PQD applied to 2014 applicable to 2014 and 2015 status renewal.
  • How will UA evaluate the address issue for the PQD exemption?
  • It is not clear how the timing of achieving the minimum PQD requirement will impact earning RPUs and GPUs. Examples:
    • If someone crosses 75K PQM in say April, but doesn't hit $7500 PQD until December by which time has accrued 200K PQM, will he/she get 10 RPUs all at once? (and 10 GPUs assuming $10k PQD in December)
    • Do only 1Ks/GSs earn additional RPUs by flying beyond the 100k mark?
    • If a 1K crosses the 100,000 PQM mark in January 201x, the $10,000 PQD mark on December 31 201x, and ends up flying a total of 200,000 PQMs for the year 201x, how many RPUs / GPUs will be earned?
    • Will Platinums earn 2 RPUs when crossing the 75k mark but none at incremental levels thereafter (e.g. a Plat who flies 100k EQMs, but does not meet the 1K spend, would *not* earn two more RPUs)?
  • How does IRROPs affect earning of PQDs?
    • If one travels on a non-016 ticket originally booked non-UA/Copa metal, will one earn PQDs if rebooked onto UA?
    • If one travels on a non-016 ticket originally booked on UA/Copa metal, but is rebooked onto non UA/Copa metal, will one still get credit for PQDs in these scenarios:
      • The UA/Copa segment was the source of the irrops?
      • The segment of another carrier causes the irrops, the carrier is a *A or UA/Copa partner?
      • The segment of another carrier causes the irrops, the carrier is not a *A or UA/Copa partner?
FMP (Frequently Made Points)
The following points have been made repeatedly in this thread (please feel free to add more concise points):
  • You might not be hitting the PQD minimums as easily as you think you are, given exceptions, taxes, and the existence of cheap fares.
  • It is possible for leisure travelers and even some business travelers to average well under 10cpm. This doesn't just affect "leisure 1Ks" and people on the edge of categories.
  • Presidential Plus card members (exempted from Silver/Gold/Plat PQD requirements) are most likely exempted because the FlexPQM program would complicate matters.
  • Manufacturing $25,000 spend might not actually be so hard. There's a whole forum on it.
  • The $25,000 spend can be done across multiple Chase MP cards, as long as the cards are tied to the same MileagePlus account.
  • The exceptions don't really make sense where there is a revenue-sharing joint venture in place, such as with LH on TATL routes.
  • Leaving UA for AA over objections to dollar-based status may be futile because all the majors will likely go to this model with the possible exception of the AS program which allows you to bank your DL and AA miles into one account (DL has already).
  • UA is tracking spend on UA metal now.
  • YQ, also known as the "international surcharge," is a carrier-imposed surcharge and is included in PQD.
Related Threads
Moderator's note:

Previous thread can be found here:

MileagePlus Premier Qualifying Dollar (PQD) Requirement Discussion [ARCHIVE]

iluv2fly
Moderator, UA
Print Wikipost

MileagePlus Premier Qualifying Dollar (PQD) Requirement Discussion Thread

Search this Thread

Old Jan 1, 2014, 12:40 pm

Programs: kayaker
Originally Posted by sriki
....wondering if there are any cons to "moving back to USA"
If you are fairly confident that you can make the PQD spend requirement, then you are probably marginally better off with a US-based address for the infrequent promotions they run that are only open to US residents. But playing the PQD game (incl. 016 stock) seems like a pretty big con to me.
Old Jan 1, 2014, 1:04 pm
Moderator, Omni, Omni/PR, Omni/Games, FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: UA 1K MM; Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by drewguy
Also wondering - if you don't fly a ticket, and don't cancel it for later use, do you get the PQDs?
My guess is "no." The PQDs post with the flown segments. This would be the same w/r/t PQMs & RDMs as if you bought, didn't fly, and didn't cancel a ticket: you get nothing (and UA pockets your $$$, so consider it a donation to Jeffy's bonus ).
Old Jan 1, 2014, 1:39 pm

2014 PQD Waiver: For 2014, the PQD requirement is waived for Premier Silver, Premier Gold and Premier Platinum qualification for members (i) whose address with MileagePlus is within the 50 United States or the District of Columbia and (ii) who in 2014 have spent at least $25,000 in Net Purchases, on a MileagePlus co-branded credit card issued by Chase Bank USA, N.A. at the time in 2014 they qualify for Premier status. There is no PQD waiver for Premier 1K qualification. Only the primary Cardmember is eligible for the PQD waiver. (“Net Purchases” are purchases of goods and services made by you or any authorized user on your account minus any returns or refunds, and do not include balance transfers, cash advances, cash-like charges such as travelers checks, foreign currency, and money orders, any checks that are used to access your account, overdraft advances, interest, unauthorized or fraudulent charges, or fees of any kind, including an annual fee, if applicable). Purchases made by authorized users will qualify toward the primary Cardmember’s Net Purchases total but authorized users are not eligible for the PQD Waiver. If the primary Cardmember has multiple MileagePlus Chase credit cards, Net Purchases on those cards will be combined to calculate the $25,000 spend for the PQD waiver. For MileagePlus Chase Credit Card members that open an account in 2014, “Calendar Year” means the period beginning with the day the Cardmember’s credit card account is approved through December 31, 2014. Therefore, the Cardmember may have less than 12 months in 2014 to qualify for the PQD Waiver.

Lifted from the terms (bolding mine). (ii) says at the time they qualify for Premier status. But, at the start of the exemption text it says the exemption only applies to Premier members anyway. Did they intend to say that (i) applies to premier status members and (ii) applies to everyone?
Old Jan 1, 2014, 1:48 pm

Programs: CO Gold, SPG Gold
Originally Posted by Hollas
For those with the legacy United Presidential Plus Chase card, I just answered my own question. If you go to the "My Account" link and click on the "View Premier progress" link under Premier status qualification information tab, it pulls up the screen shot showing Presidential Plus PQD Waiver with the word "Eligible". My apologies to to all for not surfing a bit more before my original post. Unfortunately, the web designers at UA change the GUI regularly which confused me.
Got it. So I am eligible as per the "View Premier Progress" popup. Thanks for the detailed instructions!

Originally Posted by IADFlyer123
I think, as soon as you change your address to a US address, that field will get activated. They are tracking it regardless of where you live. ALternately, you can always MPSC and get the info, they would be able to check it.
Can anyone check the page source and figure out whether the data is available but just suppressed in the display?

Originally Posted by transportbiz
I still feel strongly, that if a revenue component of qualification was necessary (and I'm not arguing that it was not necessary) it would have been far more simple to limit PQM's on certain fare buckets. The strategy below would be so much better than the methodology of hocus pocus, abracadabra, black art juju.

On N maybe you only earn 25% for example, on G 30%, on K 35% on L 40% and T 45% and on S 50%. finally, on W you would get your 100% PQM qualification as this fare is also required for international upgrade using an instrument. This method would have been so much easier for everyone to track, AND it would have been a unique approach rather that just mimicking a competitor, and then executing it poorly.
Your percentage PQM based on fare class model isn't equivalent between markets where fares/yields are higher. So a T fare flyer out of EWR might pay a lot more than a T fare flyer out of LGA. Or a T fare flyer out of the midwest might pay more per mile for T fares than a coastal flyer because RPM is higher on midcons than non-PS transcons.

Thus the model is different. We can argue which is better representative of value and Premier worthiness, but I'd rather not.
Old Jan 1, 2014, 1:56 pm

Can anyone check the page source and figure out whether the data is available but just suppressed in the display?
Just took a quick look. I don't think it's display is suppressed on client(our) side. They must be doing on United server's.
Old Jan 1, 2014, 2:49 pm
Original Member

Location: Highland PArk,IL,USA -- AA Lifetime Platinum, IHG Plat, UA Silver, Hilton Gold, Radisson Gold, Marriott Lifetime Titanium
I looked this morning too, and was very disappointed at the lack of transparency in the process. When you book a ticket it does not show you what PQD's you will earn for that flight before you finalize the purchase. Since Delta does do this, I have to give them more credit toward being upfront with the nonsensical idea of dollar tracking for qualification.

I still feel strongly, that if a revenue component of qualification was necessary (and I'm not arguing that it was not necessary) it would have been far more simple to limit PQM's on certain fare buckets. The strategy below would be so much better than the methodology of hocus pocus, abracadabra, black art juju.

On N maybe you only earn 25% for example, on G 30%, on K 35% on L 40% and T 45% and on S 50%. finally, on W you would get your 100% PQM qualification as this fare is also required for international upgrade using an instrument. This method would have been so much easier for everyone to track, AND it would have been a unique approach rather that just mimicking a competitor, and then executing it poorly.
Delta did that a few years ago and all you know what broke out. I am pretty sure that is where saveskymiles.com started. Delta reversed that one after a year or two. I am pretty sure UA remembers that situation.
Old Jan 1, 2014, 3:54 pm
Moderator: United Airlines

Programs: UA Plat 1.99MM, Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott Plat/LT Gold, Hilton Silver, IHG Plat
Originally Posted by thepla
... On N maybe you only earn 25% for example, on G 30%, on K 35% on L 40% and T 45% and on S 50%. finally, on W you would get your 100% PQM qualification as this fare is also required for international upgrade using an instrument. This method would have been so much easier for everyone to track, AND it would have been a unique approach rather that just mimicking a competitor, and then executing it poorly.
Delta did that a few years ago and all you know what broke out. I am pretty sure that is where saveskymiles.com started. Delta reversed that one after a year or two. I am pretty sure UA remembers that situation.
And PMCO gave 50% EQM credit for no web booked discount fares for awhile, that was popular also.

People are not fond of partial credit. The reverse works better for most, bonus credits for higher fares. Same thing but dressed different and much better reaction.
Old Jan 1, 2014, 4:09 pm

Originally Posted by jafza412
Yes mine does too, it is dated 11/1/2013. I wonder if it just initializing the revenue data to zero.
+1. I thought it was just me.
Old Jan 1, 2014, 5:59 pm

Programs: UA SP, DL SM MM, AS 75K, SPG Platinum, Hyatt Diamond.
Originally Posted by WineCountryUA
and neither does it show (correctly in all cases) the number of PQMs or RDMs. We learned to live with that (unhappily)

That seems a far more complicated approach. From what I can tell so far is the PQD approach (using the receipt as a source of information) is going to be relatively easily job to track.

Yes change is a pain (anger, denial and resistance is understandable) but I think after a few months we will all be in the groove on tracking this. Could have other ways have been used yes, but at least two major players in the industry have picked this way and it is likely to stick. You can complain, you can invent other ways --- but you better get comfortable with this one because it is here, now.
I'm not sure why it would be, and it's really not like I invented something here, it's how Lufthansa has been doing if for a while now. Yes there were complaints about the experiments with this before, but at least you knew when you booked a ticket what you were going to get, you could decide, yeah, I need more PQM's and it's worth it to me to do "x" or oh well, I'm on a budget, and I won't qualify. This makes much more sense to me, since it's already there in a way with upgrade priority, just make it part of the rest of the equation too.

Last edited by transportbiz; Jan 1, 2014 at 6:05 pm
Old Jan 1, 2014, 6:17 pm
Moderator: United Airlines

Programs: UA Plat 1.99MM, Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott Plat/LT Gold, Hilton Silver, IHG Plat
I'm not sure why it would be, and it's really not like I invented something here, it's how Lufthansa has been doing if for a while now. ...
yes, UA could have done this but UA's point is your monetary yield is what they are measuring -- what you have purposed is an indirect measure, UA's approach -- which is what DL is used (and i suspect others will follow) and is essentially what UA's uses for GS is a direct measure. In most case a direct measure is better for getting the results you (UA) wants.

.... Yes there were complaints about the experiments with this before, but at least you knew when you booked a ticket what you were going to get, you could decide, yeah, I need more PQM's and it's worth it to me to do "x" or oh well, I'm on a budget, and I won't qualify. ....
sorry, but your proposal as or more opaque. In either case you need to go some portion into the booking process to know what you will be earning (and PDQs avoid the codeshare mystery on operators fare class). As for the budget minded, PQDs are not aimed at the on a budget folks.

....This makes much more sense to me, since it's already there in a way with upgrade priority, just make it part of the rest of the equation too.
I don't see the relevance of the upgrade list to this discussion.

Question, why are we bothering discussing this? UA has picked a path, we need to accepted that and move on. UA is not seeking alternatives or input on this.
Old Jan 1, 2014, 6:37 pm

Programs: UA SP, DL SM MM, AS 75K, SPG Platinum, Hyatt Diamond.
Originally Posted by WineCountryUA
yes, UA could have done this but UA's point is your monetary yield is what they are measuring -- what you have purposed is an indirect measure, UA's approach -- which is what DL is used (and i suspect others will follow) and is essentially what UA's uses for GS is a direct measure. In most case a direct measure is better for getting the results you (UA) wants.

sorry, but your proposal as or more opaque. In either case you need to go some portion into the booking process to know what you will be earning (and PDQs avoid the codeshare mystery on operators fare class). As for the budget minded, PQDs are not aimed at the on a budget folks.

I don't see the relevance of the upgrade list to this discussion.

Question, why are we bothering discussing this? UA has picked a path, we need to accepted that and move on. UA is not seeking alternatives or input on this.
Um because it takes two to tango, and to debate. Always funny to me when one says, "why are we discussing this?" when they are discussing it.

The relevance of the upgrade list is that it too is based on fare bucket. Not sure how that was lost, to be honest.

I'd agree if United allowed me to choose at the time of booking, like Delta is doing. United did indeed copy a competitor, but did it half-assed.

GS is far from a direct measure, it's even more opaque in qualifiers and equations, absolute revenue is only ONE aspect of it.

Budget objectives can apply on a flight-to-flight basis, even to customers not budget focused on every flight.
Old Jan 1, 2014, 8:00 pm

Programs: UA LT Gold, American Kettle, Hertz #1 Presidents Circle, Marriott LT Platinum
I was looking over the new Account Page and noticed something that I can not explain.

I have the Mileage Plus Club Card (Business), so the Credit Card PQD Waiver says 'Not Met' as expected. Now whats interesting is that I also the 4 Flight Minimum marked as Waived. I've not come across anything that allows the 4 flights on UA Metal to be waived? I wonder what granted me this status?
Old Jan 1, 2014, 8:03 pm

Programs: UA LT Gold, American Kettle, Hertz #1 Presidents Circle, Marriott LT Platinum
Originally Posted by jafza412
Yes mine does too, it is dated 11/1/2013. I wonder if it just initializing the revenue data to zero.
Me too!
Old Jan 1, 2014, 8:09 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by drowelf
I was looking over the new Account Page and noticed something that I can not explain.

I have the Mileage Plus Club Card (Business), so the Credit Card PQD Waiver says 'Not Met' as expected. Now whats interesting is that I also the 4 Flight Minimum marked as Waived. I've not come across anything that allows the 4 flights on UA Metal to be waived? I wonder what granted me this status?
Did you hover your mouse over the little blue dot with the i in it next to the 4 flight minimum line to see what it says?
Old Jan 1, 2014, 8:26 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: DREAD Gold; UA 1.035MM; Bonvoy Au-197; PCC Elite+; CCC Elite+; MSC C-12; CWC Au-197; WoH Dis
Originally Posted by drowelf
I've not come across anything that allows the 4 flights on UA Metal to be waived? I wonder what granted me this status?
The Club Card does that.

Originally Posted by Baze
Did you hover your mouse over the little blue dot with the i in it next to the 4 flight minimum line to see what it says?
All it says is
A minimum of four paid flight segments on United, United Express® and/or Copa Airlines is required in order to qualify for any Premier level.
Nothing about why the waiver is in effect.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.