Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

MileagePlus Premier Qualifying Dollar (PQD) Requirement Discussion Thread

Old Jan 1, 2014, 6:30 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: chrisl137
Please read these sources before posting in this thread:
If you have calculated the PQDs for a trip at less than 80% of the total cost, you are very likely doing something wrong. Have you made sure to include the International Surcharge (YQ)? Have you read all of the materials linked above, and the frequently made points listed below?

Specific Unanswered Questions
Please limit these to specific, technical questions about the implementation of the PQD program.
  • Will there be a calculator that shows PQD, and will that calculator be accurate?
  • What exactly will count toward PQD?
    United states:
    Base fare and carrier-imposed surcharges
    Flights flown by United, United Express, or Copa Airlines
    Flights operated by a Star Alliance® or a MileagePlus partner airline and issued on a United ticket (ticket number starting with 016)
    Economy Plus purchases
    The value of ETCs if used as a form of payment on the checkout page

will count towards PQD.

Thus:
    • The amount of co-pay when using miles to upgrade..
    • The cost of PQMs/RDMs purchased when using the premier / award accelerator..
    • The face value e-certs and travel vouchers.. (still uncertainty on this since prelim PQDs appeared to include)
    • The cost of a paid upgrade..
    • An extra seat purchase (such as for a customer of size or a musical instrument); it does not presently count toward PQM.
    • Change fees.
    will not count toward PQD.
  • How will PQD be determined for UA metal segments without 016 stock ticket?
  • What happens if I depart in December and return in January?
    Just like PQM, PQD for the applicable part of fare for the segment is credited based on the departure date (year) of the segment flown. Segment fares are calculated using standard rules of the past. For the case cited there would be PQD credited in DEC 2013 (no value) and PQD applied to 2014 applicable to 2014 and 2015 status renewal.
  • How will UA evaluate the address issue for the PQD exemption?
  • It is not clear how the timing of achieving the minimum PQD requirement will impact earning RPUs and GPUs. Examples:
    • If someone crosses 75K PQM in say April, but doesn't hit $7500 PQD until December by which time has accrued 200K PQM, will he/she get 10 RPUs all at once? (and 10 GPUs assuming $10k PQD in December)
    • Do only 1Ks/GSs earn additional RPUs by flying beyond the 100k mark?
    • If a 1K crosses the 100,000 PQM mark in January 201x, the $10,000 PQD mark on December 31 201x, and ends up flying a total of 200,000 PQMs for the year 201x, how many RPUs / GPUs will be earned?
    • Will Platinums earn 2 RPUs when crossing the 75k mark but none at incremental levels thereafter (e.g. a Plat who flies 100k EQMs, but does not meet the 1K spend, would *not* earn two more RPUs)?
  • How does IRROPs affect earning of PQDs?
    • If one travels on a non-016 ticket originally booked non-UA/Copa metal, will one earn PQDs if rebooked onto UA?
    • If one travels on a non-016 ticket originally booked on UA/Copa metal, but is rebooked onto non UA/Copa metal, will one still get credit for PQDs in these scenarios:
      • The UA/Copa segment was the source of the irrops?
      • The segment of another carrier causes the irrops, the carrier is a *A or UA/Copa partner?
      • The segment of another carrier causes the irrops, the carrier is not a *A or UA/Copa partner?
FMP (Frequently Made Points)
The following points have been made repeatedly in this thread (please feel free to add more concise points):
  • You might not be hitting the PQD minimums as easily as you think you are, given exceptions, taxes, and the existence of cheap fares.
  • It is possible for leisure travelers and even some business travelers to average well under 10cpm. This doesn't just affect "leisure 1Ks" and people on the edge of categories.
  • Presidential Plus card members (exempted from Silver/Gold/Plat PQD requirements) are most likely exempted because the FlexPQM program would complicate matters.
  • Manufacturing $25,000 spend might not actually be so hard. There's a whole forum on it.
  • The $25,000 spend can be done across multiple Chase MP cards, as long as the cards are tied to the same MileagePlus account.
  • The exceptions don't really make sense where there is a revenue-sharing joint venture in place, such as with LH on TATL routes.
  • Leaving UA for AA over objections to dollar-based status may be futile because all the majors will likely go to this model with the possible exception of the AS program which allows you to bank your DL and AA miles into one account (DL has already).
  • UA is tracking spend on UA metal now.
  • YQ, also known as the "international surcharge," is a carrier-imposed surcharge and is included in PQD.
Related Threads
Moderator's note:

Previous thread can be found here:

MileagePlus Premier Qualifying Dollar (PQD) Requirement Discussion [ARCHIVE]

iluv2fly
Moderator, UA
Print Wikipost

MileagePlus Premier Qualifying Dollar (PQD) Requirement Discussion Thread

Old Jan 16, 2014, 9:59 pm

Originally Posted by smxflyer
So I recently booked a 016 flight DEL-FRA-DFW on LH which is sold as a K fare by United. I recently realized that LH K fares do not earn PQM, but with it being 016, I should still earn PQD?
No -- the fare must earn miles for it to be eligible for PQDs.

http://www.united.com/web/en-US/cont...AQs.aspx#terms

Codeshare and partner flights: If you purchase a ticket for a flight that is marketed by United but operated by another airline (known as a codeshare flight), the operating airline determines how many miles you earn. The fare class that appears on your ticket may differ from the fare class that the operating airline uses to determine flight miles earned. If a partner flight is not eligible to earn award miles, then it is also not eligible to earn Premier qualifying miles, segments or dollars.
Old Jan 16, 2014, 10:33 pm

Programs: UA 1K, Marriott LT Titanium, Hyatt Globalist
PQDs "processing"

My activity statement for recent flights shows either "ineligible" or "processing" for PQDs.

Has anyone else gotten "processing" for a UA metal flight? This particular flight was due to a MX situation on another airline, and I was protected on UA. So in that case would I get any PQDs for the amount of the ticket price paid to UA by the other airline?
Old Jan 17, 2014, 7:01 am

Programs: UA 1MM Premier Gold, DL Gold Medallion, HHonors Gold, Marriot Rewards Gold
PQD on COPA - Does Fuel Surcharge count?

Greetings,
Just booked a ticket IAH - PTY - MVD - PTY- IAH with CM next month. here's the breakdown of the ticket:

1 ADULT 12+. Sunday, February 23 2014, 08:49 AM - Friday, February 28 2014, 02:43 AM.

USD 888.00
Fuel Surcharges

USD 590.00
Taxes (Approximate)

USD 100.50
TOTAL:

USD 1,578.50

What counts towards PQD? I read that taxes do not count - how about fuel surcharges? it was booked on COPAAIR.COM.

Thanks,
R
Old Jan 17, 2014, 7:18 am

Originally Posted by rebech34
What counts towards PQD? I read that taxes do not count - how about fuel surcharges? it was booked on COPAAIR.COM.
It is supposed to.

However, when there was a preliminary number for 2013 embedded in web page source, LH YQ on 016 stock and CM YQ on 230 stock were not included for me.

17 days into 2014, there have been no reports of proper posting of PQD for LH on 016 stock.

I wish you luck.
Old Jan 17, 2014, 2:16 pm

If I use a foreign address, am I still subject to PQD?

I already have a MileagePlus account. If I change the address to a non-US address, will I not need PQD to get status? Is there any drawback to doing this?
Old Jan 17, 2014, 2:19 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K MM, AA EXP, Hyatt Globalist
You can do it, but be aware you may be audited and likely will if your flying habits don't change. Trust me on this one.
Old Jan 17, 2014, 7:24 pm

Programs: Bonvoy Lifetime Titanium, Hilton Diamond, UAL 1K 2MM, AA Million Mile Gold
Safe to assume if booked through UA website that it will be on 016 ticket for PQD?

I fly out of TUS where skywest has to take me to my overwater leg on intl flights.

I called mileage plus and asked them if I would get PQD on a Ticket that went:

TUS-LAX Skywest (but UA flight number)
LAX-MUC LH
MUC-CPT South African Airways
and then back pretty much the same way, no UA metal.

She said that as long as it was on 016 ticket stock I was okay.

Is it correct to assume that this flight would always be 016 ticket stock if booked through UA website and the TUS to LAX leg was on Skywest? No UA operated flights.

the mileage plus person didn't know the answer to this. I was going to call back but thought I'd ask here. I tried searching the forum for "016" and got too many responses, I also tried to find a quick answer to this in the threads and couldn't. I'd appreciate your help.

Jim
Old Jan 17, 2014, 7:28 pm

Programs: UA GS, DL-Plat, Hilton Gold, IHG Platinum, Hyatt Somethingist, Marriott Titanium Lifetime
If United issues the ticket, then the ticket number will begin with 016. Buying on UA.com will assure this.
Old Jan 17, 2014, 7:49 pm

Programs: UA 1K
Note, though, that it must be PQM eligible to get PQDs.
Old Jan 17, 2014, 7:50 pm
Suspended

Originally Posted by MatthewLAX
You can do it, but be aware you may be audited and likely will if your flying habits don't change. Trust me on this one.
Can you give more details? Did you get audited?
Old Jan 17, 2014, 7:51 pm
Moderator, Omni, Omni/PR, Omni/Games, FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: UA 1K MM; Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by logisnews
the mileage plus person didn't know the answer to this. I was going to call back but thought I'd ask here. I tried searching the forum for "016" and got too many responses, I also tried to find a quick answer to this in the threads and couldn't. I'd appreciate your help.

Jim
Booking it through UA.com will give you 016 stock regardless of what airlines are involved, AFAIK. For that matter, SkyWest dba United Express isn't a problem anyway; only their DL or US flights would be an issue.
Old Jan 17, 2014, 10:59 pm

Programs: UA 1K, Marriott LT Titanium, Hyatt Globalist
Originally Posted by keloutwest
My activity statement for recent flights shows either "ineligible" or "processing" for PQDs.

Has anyone else gotten "processing" for a UA metal flight? This particular flight was due to a MX...
Anyone have an answer? 2 weeks later and still "processing".
Old Jan 18, 2014, 12:36 am

Programs: DL Plat, B6 Mosaic
Hello all,

I have a PQD question that I dont believe has been covered yet (apologies if I missed it somewhere in this thread).

Last year, I purchased a ticket for IAD-SFO that I ended up needing to cancel. The total price was just over $600.

I know that I will need to pay a $200 change fee when i'm ready to rebook, but assuming I purchase a new ticket for $600, will I receive PQD credit on the $600 (minus the taxes & fees of course) or am I out of luck on any PQD's because this ticket was originally purchased prior to the implementation of the PQD scheme?

I actually posed this question to a 1K agent tonight who told me that I was out of luck, that the only way to get any PQD credit was on any potential fare difference, for example if I purchased a $1000 ticket, i'd only get the PQD's for the amount that was above the beyond the $600. Frankly, she didnt seem too sure and I got the feeling she was just making up the answer, hence why I am posing the question here.

I did purchase a few flights in late December (prior to PQD implementation) for travel in January and obviously those receive the PQD credit, so I dont see why this situation would be any different and i'm hoping that I do in fact receive full PQD credit.

Thanks in advance for any insight.

CK
Old Jan 18, 2014, 1:36 am

Programs: UA 1K, CO Plat, NW Plat, Marriott Premiere Plat, SPG Plat, Priority Gold, Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by CKinMD
or am I out of luck on any PQD's because this ticket was originally purchased prior to the implementation of the PQD scheme?
Date of purchase is irrelevant, only the date of transport counts, so if you fly it in 2014, and it's a ticket that would qualify for PQD if purchased in 2014, it qualifies if it was purchased in 2013 too.
Old Jan 18, 2014, 5:01 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AS 75K; UA 1MM; Hyatt Globalist; Marriott LTP; Hilton Diamond (Aspire)
Originally Posted by CKinMD

I actually posed this question to a 1K agent tonight who told me that I was out of luck, that the only way to get any PQD credit was on any potential fare difference, for example if I purchased a $1000 ticket, i'd only get the PQD's for the amount that was above the beyond the $600. Frankly, she didnt seem too sure and I got the feeling she was just making up the answer, hence why I am posing the question here.
CK
Yes the agent was just making it up. It's all based on date of travel. I think 90% of the agent statements about PQD we've seen reported here have been flat-out wrong. UA should be training them not to answer those questions.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.