Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

MileagePlus Premier Qualifying Dollar (PQD) Requirement Discussion Thread

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Jan 1, 2014, 6:30 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: chrisl137
Please read these sources before posting in this thread:
If you have calculated the PQDs for a trip at less than 80% of the total cost, you are very likely doing something wrong. Have you made sure to include the International Surcharge (YQ)? Have you read all of the materials linked above, and the frequently made points listed below?

Specific Unanswered Questions
Please limit these to specific, technical questions about the implementation of the PQD program.
  • Will there be a calculator that shows PQD, and will that calculator be accurate?
  • What exactly will count toward PQD?
    United states:
    Base fare and carrier-imposed surcharges
    Flights flown by United, United Express, or Copa Airlines
    Flights operated by a Star Alliance® or a MileagePlus partner airline and issued on a United ticket (ticket number starting with 016)
    Economy Plus purchases
    The value of ETCs if used as a form of payment on the checkout page

will count towards PQD.

Thus:
    • The amount of co-pay when using miles to upgrade..
    • The cost of PQMs/RDMs purchased when using the premier / award accelerator..
    • The face value e-certs and travel vouchers.. (still uncertainty on this since prelim PQDs appeared to include)
    • The cost of a paid upgrade..
    • An extra seat purchase (such as for a customer of size or a musical instrument); it does not presently count toward PQM.
    • Change fees.
    will not count toward PQD.
  • How will PQD be determined for UA metal segments without 016 stock ticket?
  • What happens if I depart in December and return in January?
    Just like PQM, PQD for the applicable part of fare for the segment is credited based on the departure date (year) of the segment flown. Segment fares are calculated using standard rules of the past. For the case cited there would be PQD credited in DEC 2013 (no value) and PQD applied to 2014 applicable to 2014 and 2015 status renewal.
  • How will UA evaluate the address issue for the PQD exemption?
  • It is not clear how the timing of achieving the minimum PQD requirement will impact earning RPUs and GPUs. Examples:
    • If someone crosses 75K PQM in say April, but doesn't hit $7500 PQD until December by which time has accrued 200K PQM, will he/she get 10 RPUs all at once? (and 10 GPUs assuming $10k PQD in December)
    • Do only 1Ks/GSs earn additional RPUs by flying beyond the 100k mark?
    • If a 1K crosses the 100,000 PQM mark in January 201x, the $10,000 PQD mark on December 31 201x, and ends up flying a total of 200,000 PQMs for the year 201x, how many RPUs / GPUs will be earned?
    • Will Platinums earn 2 RPUs when crossing the 75k mark but none at incremental levels thereafter (e.g. a Plat who flies 100k EQMs, but does not meet the 1K spend, would *not* earn two more RPUs)?
  • How does IRROPs affect earning of PQDs?
    • If one travels on a non-016 ticket originally booked non-UA/Copa metal, will one earn PQDs if rebooked onto UA?
    • If one travels on a non-016 ticket originally booked on UA/Copa metal, but is rebooked onto non UA/Copa metal, will one still get credit for PQDs in these scenarios:
      • The UA/Copa segment was the source of the irrops?
      • The segment of another carrier causes the irrops, the carrier is a *A or UA/Copa partner?
      • The segment of another carrier causes the irrops, the carrier is not a *A or UA/Copa partner?
FMP (Frequently Made Points)
The following points have been made repeatedly in this thread (please feel free to add more concise points):
  • You might not be hitting the PQD minimums as easily as you think you are, given exceptions, taxes, and the existence of cheap fares.
  • It is possible for leisure travelers and even some business travelers to average well under 10cpm. This doesn't just affect "leisure 1Ks" and people on the edge of categories.
  • Presidential Plus card members (exempted from Silver/Gold/Plat PQD requirements) are most likely exempted because the FlexPQM program would complicate matters.
  • Manufacturing $25,000 spend might not actually be so hard. There's a whole forum on it.
  • The $25,000 spend can be done across multiple Chase MP cards, as long as the cards are tied to the same MileagePlus account.
  • The exceptions don't really make sense where there is a revenue-sharing joint venture in place, such as with LH on TATL routes.
  • Leaving UA for AA over objections to dollar-based status may be futile because all the majors will likely go to this model with the possible exception of the AS program which allows you to bank your DL and AA miles into one account (DL has already).
  • UA is tracking spend on UA metal now.
  • YQ, also known as the "international surcharge," is a carrier-imposed surcharge and is included in PQD.
Related Threads
Moderator's note:

Previous thread can be found here:

MileagePlus Premier Qualifying Dollar (PQD) Requirement Discussion [ARCHIVE]

iluv2fly
Moderator, UA
Print Wikipost

MileagePlus Premier Qualifying Dollar (PQD) Requirement Discussion Thread

Search this Thread

Old Nov 2, 2016, 9:09 pm

Programs: UA Gold
PQDs on Partner Airlines.

United has some conflicting information online, so I thought I would come here to clarify this.

Next year I’ll be doing several flights US-Asia and as DL have been reducing their asian network and United are finally introducing a proper business class, I’m considering switching to UA.

However, I know I’ll also need to do a return from Asia to Europe, and obviously I can’t fly United on that route. My question then is, would I earn PQDs on these flights? United’s MP page says that only United ticketed flights on Star Alliance partners will earn PQDs, yet when looking at bookings it seems to say these flights do earn PQDs. Can anyone clarify this for me? It would likely be the difference between earning Platinum and 1K status for me next year and so would be a big deal.
Old Nov 2, 2016, 9:29 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: DREAD Gold; UA 1.035MM; Bonvoy Au-197; PCC Elite+; CCC Elite+; MSC C-12; CWC Au-197; WoH Dis
If it's on 016 ticket stock, you'll earn PQD for partner flights. If not, you won't.
Old Nov 2, 2016, 10:01 pm

Originally Posted by mahasamatman
If it's on 016 ticket stock, you'll earn PQD for partner flights. If not, you won't.
Is there any way to see this before booking? Or is it safe to assume if the flight selection page shows PQDs earned that its an 016 ticket.
Old Nov 2, 2016, 10:08 pm

Programs: UA 1K; *G, AA Plat
Originally Posted by Agremeister
Is there any way to see this before booking? Or is it safe to assume if the flight selection page shows PQDs earned that its an 016 ticket.
If you've booked via UA.com, then it should be a 016 ticket stock. I would just double check after booking by looking at your ticket number. Especially with partner airlines you might want to ensure it's been ticketed correctly on the saudi website and you'll need a ticket # to confirm that.
Old Nov 2, 2016, 10:16 pm

Programs: UA:1k; MR: PLT; Hilton: Gold
Originally Posted by laxmillenial
If you've booked via UA.com, then it should be a 016 ticket stock. I would just double check after booking by looking at your ticket number. Especially with partner airlines you might want to ensure it's been ticketed correctly on the saudi website and you'll need a ticket # to confirm that.
Not necessary. When booking through UA directly (through UA.com or calling), it can only be on 016 stock. UA cannot book on another airlines' stock.

The issue becomes A) getting United to issue tickets with no UA flights and/or B) many fares have plating restrictions; meaning UA can't access those (usually) discounted fares and thus by booking with UA you'll pay more (often much more).
Old Nov 3, 2016, 12:41 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Agremeister
Next year I’ll be doing several flights US-Asia and as DL have been reducing their asian network and United are finally introducing a proper business class, I’m considering switching to UA.

However, I know I’ll also need to do a return from Asia to Europe, and obviously I can’t fly United on that route. My question then is, would I earn PQDs on these flights?
Keep in mind that the updated business class seat won't be available fleet-wide for quite a while. The 77Ws will have it at introduction -- the first one is due to be delivered next month -- but other aircraft will need to be retrofitted. It may be a while before it's available on the routes you'll be flying.

PQD rules for the 2017 calendar year have yet to be announced. The other posters described the current rules -- PQD if it's a United (016) ticket, and not otherwise. However, since UA has essentially copied DL step-for-step, it's possible that they will introduce PQDs on non-016 tickets, to match DL's change for this year.

UA didn't make any significant announcements regarding PQDs for 2016; they announced the 2015 increase (from 10K to 12K to achieve 1K) on November 13, 2014. So, if you can hold off on a decision for a week or two, it's possible that the situation will change.
Old Nov 3, 2016, 1:04 am

Originally Posted by jsloan
Keep in mind that the updated business class seat won't be available fleet-wide for quite a while. The 77Ws will have it at introduction -- the first one is due to be delivered next month -- but other aircraft will need to be retrofitted. It may be a while before it's available on the routes you'll be flying.

PQD rules for the 2017 calendar year have yet to be announced. The other posters described the current rules -- PQD if it's a United (016) ticket, and not otherwise. However, since UA has essentially copied DL step-for-step, it's possible that they will introduce PQDs on non-016 tickets, to match DL's change for this year.

UA didn't make any significant announcements regarding PQDs for 2016; they announced the 2015 increase (from 10K to 12K to achieve 1K) on November 13, 2014. So, if you can hold off on a decision for a week or two, it's possible that the situation will change.
Yeah it would be nice if they introduced PQD earning on non-016 tickets, I was curious if that was a DL exclusive or not.

Im not in too much of a hurry, but UA’s polaris introduction combined with DL cutting a bunch of Asian flights was just the final straw for me, considering I’ve been passing on UA’s direct flights in favor of DL’s stopovers for a while now.
Old Nov 9, 2016, 4:16 pm

Programs: DL MM/Silver; UA 1K ; Hilton Gold; Marriott Titanium; Avis Pref+,Hertz PC
Brother recently moved to Japan. Accumulated just over 27000 PQM this year before the move. He now submitted his residency card along with a electric bill over there. Address change but he is still considered a general member. Will he be a silver if he no longer resides in the US?
Old Nov 9, 2016, 4:26 pm

Originally Posted by DFWFairy
Brother recently moved to Japan. Accumulated just over 27000 PQM this year before the move. He now submitted his residency card along with a electric bill over there. Address change but he is still considered a general member. Will he be a silver if he no longer resides in the US?
Yup, needs to change his primary address on United profile to his Japanese address. They'll ask for 2 forms of proof. Supposed to take 10-14 days to review and get it approved but it took them over a month for mine ...
Old Nov 9, 2016, 4:41 pm

Programs: DL MM/Silver; UA 1K ; Hilton Gold; Marriott Titanium; Avis Pref+,Hertz PC
Originally Posted by busyizzy
Yup, needs to change his primary address on United profile to his Japanese address. They'll ask for 2 forms of proof. Supposed to take 10-14 days to review and get it approved but it took them over a month for mine ...
Actually he email it over several days ago and got a confirmation. He went on-line to check and sure enough the address had changed...but not the status.
Old Nov 10, 2016, 11:35 am

Originally Posted by DFWFairy
Actually he email it over several days ago and got a confirmation. He went on-line to check and sure enough the address had changed...but not the status.
Sorry I misread your earlier post. When my address post was confirmed, I think my status change was fairly immediate. Yes he should be silver with 27k PQM (and, i'm assuming he made the 4 flights segments by United). Maybe he should send an email about it?
Old Nov 11, 2016, 8:19 am

Originally Posted by busyizzy
Sorry I misread your earlier post. When my address post was confirmed, I think my status change was fairly immediate. Yes he should be silver with 27k PQM (and, i'm assuming he made the 4 flights segments by United). Maybe he should send an email about it?
Good idea, I should let him know. Thanks.
Old Nov 16, 2016, 9:12 am

Programs: BA Gold Guest List; HH Diamond; Hyatt Diamond; SPG Gold
If one gifts an Economy Plus subscription, who gets the PQD? Any ideas?
Old Nov 16, 2016, 9:46 am

Programs: Honors LT Diamond; United 1K; Hertz PC
Originally Posted by NickW
If one gifts an Economy Plus subscription, who gets the PQD? Any ideas?
Pretty confident (but by no means certain) it's the recipient -- just like if I buy my fiancée a ticket she gets all of the MP benefits associated with that purchase [PQD, RDM, PQS, etc.]
Old Nov 30, 2016, 7:50 pm

PQD for E+

Will I earn PQD for an E+ purchase on an award flight? My PQD is just barely over the line for gold with one more reservation later this month. It will be my first year with status (gold) and I would hate to miss it by a couple bucks.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.