Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

MileagePlus Premier Qualifying Dollar (PQD) Requirement Discussion Thread

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Jan 1, 2014, 6:30 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: chrisl137
Please read these sources before posting in this thread:
If you have calculated the PQDs for a trip at less than 80% of the total cost, you are very likely doing something wrong. Have you made sure to include the International Surcharge (YQ)? Have you read all of the materials linked above, and the frequently made points listed below?

Specific Unanswered Questions
Please limit these to specific, technical questions about the implementation of the PQD program.
  • Will there be a calculator that shows PQD, and will that calculator be accurate?
  • What exactly will count toward PQD?
    United states:
    Base fare and carrier-imposed surcharges
    Flights flown by United, United Express, or Copa Airlines
    Flights operated by a Star Alliance® or a MileagePlus partner airline and issued on a United ticket (ticket number starting with 016)
    Economy Plus purchases
    The value of ETCs if used as a form of payment on the checkout page

will count towards PQD.

Thus:
    • The amount of co-pay when using miles to upgrade..
    • The cost of PQMs/RDMs purchased when using the premier / award accelerator..
    • The face value e-certs and travel vouchers.. (still uncertainty on this since prelim PQDs appeared to include)
    • The cost of a paid upgrade..
    • An extra seat purchase (such as for a customer of size or a musical instrument); it does not presently count toward PQM.
    • Change fees.
    will not count toward PQD.
  • How will PQD be determined for UA metal segments without 016 stock ticket?
  • What happens if I depart in December and return in January?
    Just like PQM, PQD for the applicable part of fare for the segment is credited based on the departure date (year) of the segment flown. Segment fares are calculated using standard rules of the past. For the case cited there would be PQD credited in DEC 2013 (no value) and PQD applied to 2014 applicable to 2014 and 2015 status renewal.
  • How will UA evaluate the address issue for the PQD exemption?
  • It is not clear how the timing of achieving the minimum PQD requirement will impact earning RPUs and GPUs. Examples:
    • If someone crosses 75K PQM in say April, but doesn't hit $7500 PQD until December by which time has accrued 200K PQM, will he/she get 10 RPUs all at once? (and 10 GPUs assuming $10k PQD in December)
    • Do only 1Ks/GSs earn additional RPUs by flying beyond the 100k mark?
    • If a 1K crosses the 100,000 PQM mark in January 201x, the $10,000 PQD mark on December 31 201x, and ends up flying a total of 200,000 PQMs for the year 201x, how many RPUs / GPUs will be earned?
    • Will Platinums earn 2 RPUs when crossing the 75k mark but none at incremental levels thereafter (e.g. a Plat who flies 100k EQMs, but does not meet the 1K spend, would *not* earn two more RPUs)?
  • How does IRROPs affect earning of PQDs?
    • If one travels on a non-016 ticket originally booked non-UA/Copa metal, will one earn PQDs if rebooked onto UA?
    • If one travels on a non-016 ticket originally booked on UA/Copa metal, but is rebooked onto non UA/Copa metal, will one still get credit for PQDs in these scenarios:
      • The UA/Copa segment was the source of the irrops?
      • The segment of another carrier causes the irrops, the carrier is a *A or UA/Copa partner?
      • The segment of another carrier causes the irrops, the carrier is not a *A or UA/Copa partner?
FMP (Frequently Made Points)
The following points have been made repeatedly in this thread (please feel free to add more concise points):
  • You might not be hitting the PQD minimums as easily as you think you are, given exceptions, taxes, and the existence of cheap fares.
  • It is possible for leisure travelers and even some business travelers to average well under 10cpm. This doesn't just affect "leisure 1Ks" and people on the edge of categories.
  • Presidential Plus card members (exempted from Silver/Gold/Plat PQD requirements) are most likely exempted because the FlexPQM program would complicate matters.
  • Manufacturing $25,000 spend might not actually be so hard. There's a whole forum on it.
  • The $25,000 spend can be done across multiple Chase MP cards, as long as the cards are tied to the same MileagePlus account.
  • The exceptions don't really make sense where there is a revenue-sharing joint venture in place, such as with LH on TATL routes.
  • Leaving UA for AA over objections to dollar-based status may be futile because all the majors will likely go to this model with the possible exception of the AS program which allows you to bank your DL and AA miles into one account (DL has already).
  • UA is tracking spend on UA metal now.
  • YQ, also known as the "international surcharge," is a carrier-imposed surcharge and is included in PQD.
Related Threads
Moderator's note:

Previous thread can be found here:

MileagePlus Premier Qualifying Dollar (PQD) Requirement Discussion [ARCHIVE]

iluv2fly
Moderator, UA
Print Wikipost

MileagePlus Premier Qualifying Dollar (PQD) Requirement Discussion Thread

Search this Thread

Old Jan 9, 2014, 2:44 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AS 75K; UA 1MM; Hyatt Globalist; Marriott LTP; Hilton Diamond (Aspire)
Originally Posted by Vulcan
My way of thinking is that the MileagePlus program is no longer a mileage program. It has devolved into a spend program with mileage as a secondary qualifer. As a 1MM member, I choose not to play the game will just rely on my Gold status for whatever that gets me. It is just sad........
Many customers will have more trouble hitting the miles threshholds than the spend threshholds.
Old Jan 9, 2014, 5:22 pm

Programs: AA PLT, Honors Diamond, Global Entry
Originally Posted by ZZYZXROAD
So the expectation is that MR will still occur in 2014? If so, why?
To obtain Gold/Plat (perhaps Silver) for folks who are not subject to the PQD requirement by spending $25k on an MP co-branded credit card.
Old Jan 9, 2014, 5:55 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K, Marriott Plat, Hilton Diamond, Hertz PC
Originally Posted by jbsay
To obtain Gold/Plat (perhaps Silver) for folks who are not subject to the PQD requirement by spending $25k on an MP co-branded credit card.
Or folks who've easily cleared the spend but still need the PQMs.
Old Jan 9, 2014, 6:34 pm
RNE

There are thousands of us who are not subject to PQD—at least not for now. And there are millions of us who easily make the PQD requirement—whether we want to or not. For us, it's business as usual at 35,000 feet. I feel for everyone else—not really—but that's how the wheel of fortune works. Sometimes you're up, sometimes you're not. Get on with it already—whatever your "it" is.

RNE, a.k.a. Pat Sajak.
Old Jan 9, 2014, 7:50 pm

Programs: AA PLT, Honors Diamond, Global Entry
Originally Posted by RNE
There are thousands of us who are not subject to PQD—at least not for now. And there are millions of us who easily make the PQD requirement—whether we want to or not. For us, it's business as usual at 35,000 feet. I feel for everyone else—not really—but that's how the wheel of fortune works. Sometimes you're up, sometimes you're not. Get on with it already—whatever your "it" is.

RNE, a.k.a. Pat Sajak.
Can't fault you for not feeling for folks who "struggle" to meet the PQD requirement! For a "typical" person, being able to fly further for less is precisely the point. OTOH, many elites get status largely on their employer's dime (not that there's anything wrong with that!) and many employers require employees to purchase the cheapest available discount economy fare. Out of DCA/IAD/BWI, 10cpm is very hard to find more than 14 days out on flights to major west coast destinations. This is a great thing for mileage runners, leisure travelers, and companies with a major DC-area presence whose employees often fly transcons; not so great for the frequent flyer employees themselves, who'd be in better shape PQD-wise out of a fortress hub. From UA's perspective, however, the PQD requirement makes good sense: toss your last-minute business travelers and fortress hub captives a bone (status) because they're the ones keeping your airline out of the red.
Old Jan 9, 2014, 8:27 pm

Programs: UA 1K 3 Million/ex-many year GS, AA PLT/2 Mil, AS MVPG, HH Dia, Starwood Life Plat, Hertz PC
In all these discussions the assumption always seems to be that the customer flies 100K on the nose. Worth observing that if a business guy flies 110K then the PQD target is 9cpm and for those that do 125K it is 8cpm. It would be interesting to know (leaving pure MR folks aside) what the distribution of biz flying 1Ks is in terms of miles flown per year. I.e., what percent fly 100-110K, 110-125k etc. I would still guess that most existing biz 1ks (i.e., those that fly mainly for business with a few personal trips thrown in but no MRs) will keep their 1K status with the new rules. It only takes a few last minute trips or a modest proportion of trips that are short haul vs transcon to get quite a boost in overall cpm numbers.
Old Jan 9, 2014, 9:57 pm

Programs: HH Silver, MR Plat Prem & LT Plat, Hyatt Plat,SPG Plat, Hertz PC, National EE, UA 1K
Originally Posted by pdx1M
In all these discussions the assumption always seems to be that the customer flies 100K on the nose. Worth observing that if a business guy flies 110K then the PQD target is 9cpm and for those that do 125K it is 8cpm. It would be interesting to know (leaving pure MR folks aside) what the distribution of biz flying 1Ks is in terms of miles flown per year. I.e., what percent fly 100-110K, 110-125k etc. I would still guess that most existing biz 1ks (i.e., those that fly mainly for business with a few personal trips thrown in but no MRs) will keep their 1K status with the new rules. It only takes a few last minute trips or a modest proportion of trips that are short haul vs transcon to get quite a boost in overall cpm numbers.
What about PQS qualifiers?

I changed recently, and currently fly ~120Kish, 70 PQS's, with expected $30K, but 1999-2009 looked like 90Kish, 180-230PQS, $30-$40K.
Old Jan 9, 2014, 10:37 pm

Programs: UA 1K 3 Million/ex-many year GS, AA PLT/2 Mil, AS MVPG, HH Dia, Starwood Life Plat, Hertz PC
Actually I'd be amazed if a PQS 1K didn't hit the dollar target. You guys have it the worst. Typically lots of short segments - killer to do. And short segments generally have disproportionately high cpm as you note. I still think the only non MR population that is likely to uniformly have an issue with all this are the folks that do almost all transcons. Those often carry the lowest cpm rates if purchased early while generating the most PQMs.
Old Jan 10, 2014, 8:45 am

Programs: UA 1K 1MM, Marriott PP
Originally Posted by Kacee
Many customers will have more trouble hitting the miles threshholds than the spend threshholds.
I agree with this. I look at a few of my coworkers that only travel with me but not nearly as much or any on their own. I buy all the tickets so they can get E+ with me and know what we spent. Last year one had ~$2600 in spend with under 20K EQMs. The trips from Vegas were BWI, DEN, SMF x2 and ORF x2. He was well over 10 cpm.

The year prior the same guy had 6 Denver trips for around $3k and under 10K EQMs.
Old Jan 10, 2014, 8:50 am

Programs: UA 1K, 1.3mm
Buy up to first prior to checkin. Just want to confirm. This will generate 150% PQM and PQD?
Old Jan 10, 2014, 10:06 am

Programs: UA Plat
My Credit Card Spend PQD waiver went from Not Met to Not Eligible today. The only thing I can think of is I have $421 PQD already and over $2,100 PQD on upcoming flights. I am going to hit the spend requirements anyways but was curious if anyone knows why this would happen if I have the United credit card.
Old Jan 10, 2014, 10:26 am

Programs: UA 1K
Originally Posted by pong1092
My Credit Card Spend PQD waiver went from Not Met to Not Eligible today. The only thing I can think of is I have $421 PQD already and over $2,100 PQD on upcoming flights. I am going to hit the spend requirements anyways but was curious if anyone knows why this would happen if I have the United credit card.
Try logging out and in again.
Old Jan 10, 2014, 10:27 am

Programs: UA Platinum
It amazes me how many people in this discussion seem to think that the entire UA customer base consists of an MR/business traveler dichotomy. The PQD will affect flying behavior and status for more than just runners, particularly US-based international *A flyers. The PQDs are really going to bite for those of us who fly a lot of partner segments, especially to TATL destinations not served directly by UA metal, but on itineraries that may involve at least one UA flight.

I am still waiting for someone to post their PQD breakdown from a non-016 ticket that involved a TATL flight on UA metal followed by connecting flights on other carriers.
Old Jan 10, 2014, 10:33 am

Programs: UA Plat
Originally Posted by mgcsinc
Try logging out and in again.
Thanks. Not sure how that changes anything but fixed it.
Old Jan 10, 2014, 11:18 am

Programs: UA 1K
Originally Posted by pong1092
Thanks. Not sure how that changes anything but fixed it.
It was either gonna work or I was gonna look stupid.

You weren't "fully logged in." When you're not "fully logged in," certain elements on the site seem to appear in their default state.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.