Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

MileagePlus Premier Qualifying Dollar (PQD) Requirement Discussion Thread

Old Jan 1, 2014, 6:30 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: chrisl137
Please read these sources before posting in this thread:
If you have calculated the PQDs for a trip at less than 80% of the total cost, you are very likely doing something wrong. Have you made sure to include the International Surcharge (YQ)? Have you read all of the materials linked above, and the frequently made points listed below?

Specific Unanswered Questions
Please limit these to specific, technical questions about the implementation of the PQD program.
  • Will there be a calculator that shows PQD, and will that calculator be accurate?
  • What exactly will count toward PQD?
    United states:
    Base fare and carrier-imposed surcharges
    Flights flown by United, United Express, or Copa Airlines
    Flights operated by a Star Alliance® or a MileagePlus partner airline and issued on a United ticket (ticket number starting with 016)
    Economy Plus purchases
    The value of ETCs if used as a form of payment on the checkout page

will count towards PQD.

Thus:
    • The amount of co-pay when using miles to upgrade..
    • The cost of PQMs/RDMs purchased when using the premier / award accelerator..
    • The face value e-certs and travel vouchers.. (still uncertainty on this since prelim PQDs appeared to include)
    • The cost of a paid upgrade..
    • An extra seat purchase (such as for a customer of size or a musical instrument); it does not presently count toward PQM.
    • Change fees.
    will not count toward PQD.
  • How will PQD be determined for UA metal segments without 016 stock ticket?
  • What happens if I depart in December and return in January?
    Just like PQM, PQD for the applicable part of fare for the segment is credited based on the departure date (year) of the segment flown. Segment fares are calculated using standard rules of the past. For the case cited there would be PQD credited in DEC 2013 (no value) and PQD applied to 2014 applicable to 2014 and 2015 status renewal.
  • How will UA evaluate the address issue for the PQD exemption?
  • It is not clear how the timing of achieving the minimum PQD requirement will impact earning RPUs and GPUs. Examples:
    • If someone crosses 75K PQM in say April, but doesn't hit $7500 PQD until December by which time has accrued 200K PQM, will he/she get 10 RPUs all at once? (and 10 GPUs assuming $10k PQD in December)
    • Do only 1Ks/GSs earn additional RPUs by flying beyond the 100k mark?
    • If a 1K crosses the 100,000 PQM mark in January 201x, the $10,000 PQD mark on December 31 201x, and ends up flying a total of 200,000 PQMs for the year 201x, how many RPUs / GPUs will be earned?
    • Will Platinums earn 2 RPUs when crossing the 75k mark but none at incremental levels thereafter (e.g. a Plat who flies 100k EQMs, but does not meet the 1K spend, would *not* earn two more RPUs)?
  • How does IRROPs affect earning of PQDs?
    • If one travels on a non-016 ticket originally booked non-UA/Copa metal, will one earn PQDs if rebooked onto UA?
    • If one travels on a non-016 ticket originally booked on UA/Copa metal, but is rebooked onto non UA/Copa metal, will one still get credit for PQDs in these scenarios:
      • The UA/Copa segment was the source of the irrops?
      • The segment of another carrier causes the irrops, the carrier is a *A or UA/Copa partner?
      • The segment of another carrier causes the irrops, the carrier is not a *A or UA/Copa partner?
FMP (Frequently Made Points)
The following points have been made repeatedly in this thread (please feel free to add more concise points):
  • You might not be hitting the PQD minimums as easily as you think you are, given exceptions, taxes, and the existence of cheap fares.
  • It is possible for leisure travelers and even some business travelers to average well under 10cpm. This doesn't just affect "leisure 1Ks" and people on the edge of categories.
  • Presidential Plus card members (exempted from Silver/Gold/Plat PQD requirements) are most likely exempted because the FlexPQM program would complicate matters.
  • Manufacturing $25,000 spend might not actually be so hard. There's a whole forum on it.
  • The $25,000 spend can be done across multiple Chase MP cards, as long as the cards are tied to the same MileagePlus account.
  • The exceptions don't really make sense where there is a revenue-sharing joint venture in place, such as with LH on TATL routes.
  • Leaving UA for AA over objections to dollar-based status may be futile because all the majors will likely go to this model with the possible exception of the AS program which allows you to bank your DL and AA miles into one account (DL has already).
  • UA is tracking spend on UA metal now.
  • YQ, also known as the "international surcharge," is a carrier-imposed surcharge and is included in PQD.
Related Threads
Moderator's note:

Previous thread can be found here:

MileagePlus Premier Qualifying Dollar (PQD) Requirement Discussion [ARCHIVE]

iluv2fly
Moderator, UA
Print Wikipost

Old Dec 31, 2013, 11:08 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend
Original Poster

Programs: UA 1K 1MM (finally!), IHG AMB-Spire, HH Diamond

SIN-HKG already landed on 1/1/14. No PQD counter to track it yet...

The app does say I haven't met the Chase card $25k waiver yet though. Shocker!

Last edited by uastarflyer; Jan 8, 2014 at 10:25 pm
Old Dec 31, 2013, 11:09 pm

Programs: DL Platinum, AA Lifetime Gold, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Platinum, Radisson Premium
Just an FYI: PQD line is now showing in account details for me.
Old Dec 31, 2013, 11:13 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

I found my display did not update until I logged off and logged back on on IE. It could be timing but I am not sure.

On Firefox (which I tried after I saw the new format on IE), it showed the new format without having to logoff/log back on.
Old Dec 31, 2013, 11:14 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: Between AUS, EWR, and YTO In a little twisty maze of airline seats, all alike.. but I wanna go home with the armadillo
Programs: CO, NW, & UA forum moderator emeritus
The little "i" icon next to the PQD column brings up a box that cntains this text:
What are Premier qualifying dollars?

Premier qualifying dollars (PQD) include spending on flights operated by United, United Express and Copa Airlines, as well as flights operated by Star Alliance and MileagePlus partner airlines when issued on a United ticket (ticket number starting with “016”). You can also earn PQD for Economy Plus® purchases.

Only the base fare and carrier-imposed surcharges on eligible flights count toward PQD.

A status of “Processing” indicates that PQD are not available yet. It may take up to 14 days after the flight for PQD to post.

“Ineligible” indicates that the flight is not eligible to earn PQD.
Old Dec 31, 2013, 11:18 pm

Programs: DL Platinum, AA Lifetime Gold, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Platinum, Radisson Premium
http://www.united.com/web/en-US/cont...r/qualify.aspx
Old Dec 31, 2013, 11:28 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AS 75K; UA 1MM; Hyatt Globalist; Marriott LTP; Hilton Diamond (Aspire)
Yup it's rolled over. Bummer to see all those zeros.

Won't earn PQDs without a 2014 departure - 12/31 departure with 1/1 arrival doesn't count.
Old Jan 1, 2014, 12:55 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Some of this 'n some of that
At the 11th hour (literally) I changed my primary address to my SE Asia residence. While all my data has reset to '0' I'm not seeing any PQD tracker so either 1) I never will or 2) it hasn't been rolled out yet.
Old Jan 1, 2014, 2:02 am

Programs: UA MM | BA Silver
PQD Tracker is Up and...

Slightly refreshed MP Account Summary area on the home page once logged in.

PQD = $0, yet I have tickets purchased for 2014...

Last edited by anc-ord772; Jan 1, 2014 at 2:07 am Reason: added PQD information
Old Jan 1, 2014, 2:15 am

Programs: UA 1K, AA Plat, CX GR, Hilton Diamond, Global Entry
Originally Posted by anc-ord772
Slightly refreshed MP Account Summary area on the home page once logged in.

PQD = $0, yet I have tickets purchased for 2014...
PQD will post as your flight credit post for 2014
Old Jan 1, 2014, 2:19 am

Originally Posted by USFdonWill
PQD will post as your flight credit post for 2014
GTK, thanks.

Anyone know if UNITED plans to show how many PQD are earned when shopping/buying a ticket?
Old Jan 1, 2014, 2:23 am

Programs: UA 1K, AA Plat, CX GR, Hilton Diamond, Global Entry
Originally Posted by anc-ord772
GTK, thanks.

Anyone know if UNITED plans to show how many PQD are earned when shopping/buying a ticket?
np.

My gut tells me that if they do show PQD during the purchasing process, it will be an expert mode function/opt-in as to not confuse the masses.
Old Jan 1, 2014, 2:25 am

Originally Posted by USFdonWill
np.

My gut tells me that if they do show PQD during the purchasing process, it will be an expert mode function/opt-in as to not confuse the masses.
DELTA is so much more customer friendly in this aspect. Geesh UNITED.
Old Jan 1, 2014, 4:08 am

Programs: A3 Gold, IHG Platinum, Marriott Silver
Originally Posted by dsquared37
At the 11th hour (literally) I changed my primary address to my SE Asia residence. While all my data has reset to '0' I'm not seeing any PQD tracker so either 1) I never will or 2) it hasn't been rolled out yet.
Well, I just changed the addresses of my sisters' accounts today (January 1st) and the PQD requirement went away as soon as the primary address was changed to non-US. They are not Premier members and have no current reservations, so not sure if that made the switch immediate. Their accounts are set up for the occasional flight they take once in a while for mileage credit.

I changed over my account yesterday or the day before and the PQD requirement wasn't there when I logged in this morning. I'm not going to play around with it to see if it will show up again if I change my primary address. It will be interesting to find out if primary residence will be taken into account ONLY at time of qualification, I. e. meet a mileage or segment level and then, the system will check the address and see if PQD applies.

If people switch to US addresses later in the year and have already flight activity credited to their accounts, how will United go back and figure out their PQD amount after the fact? Is their software sophisticated enough to do that? Or maybe the fair thing to do will be to take into account the primary address on the account when the first flight posts for the year and use those requirements for subsequent flights for the remainder of 2014 regardless of a potential primary address change on the account.
Old Jan 1, 2014, 4:19 am

Programs: United Gold
Although we knew that Presidential Plus card holders would be exempt from PQD requirements up to Platinum, it's good to get a confirmation on my personal account that I am indeed eligible for the exemption. I will miss being 1K though.

Old Jan 1, 2014, 4:30 am
RNE

RNE
XX000000
Star Alliance Gold
Mileage balance 33,187
Mileage expiration 6/30/2015

Premier status qualification information
YTD Premier qualifying miles: 0
YTD Premier qualifying segments: 0
YTD Premier qualifying dollars: 0
4 flight segment minimum: Waived

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.