Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

Consolidated Global Services Thread - Qualifications, Benefits and Q & A [2014]

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Consolidated Global Services Thread - Qualifications, Benefits and Q & A [2014]

Search this Thread

Old Nov 22, 2014, 5:53 pm

Your opinion ?

YTD 55k
260 EQM

Projected end of 2014 $67-70k

What are the chances ?
Old Nov 22, 2014, 8:08 pm

Programs: UA GS/4 MM, AA Exec Plat, Lifetime Hilton D, Hyatt G, Marriott Titanium earned Ambassador
Originally Posted by porciuscato
Next year I will have GS status and a PassPlus plan. It sounds like the PassPlus system requires you to book your own tickets separately -- you can't book yourself and family on one reservation.

Is it still possible to get GS privileges for family -- e.g. economy+ seat assignments, upgrades -- when you're travelling together but on different PNRs?
I don't think the later is 100% in stone but having just helped my fellow GS with his family reservations which included him (paid full C) plus three of them coming in from the ME it is amazing what can be done once you get a good GS agent eyes on itins. Let's just say no one sat in Y coming in from the ME him having used points (seated in E+) for the three tickets and then a few days before GPUs out of his GS account. New at this I was astonished.
Old Nov 22, 2014, 8:14 pm

Programs: UA GS/4 MM, AA Exec Plat, Lifetime Hilton D, Hyatt G, Marriott Titanium earned Ambassador
Originally Posted by LAXOGG
Every bunch of apples can have a bad one and you sure found one on your flight. I find that for the most part GS's (like myself) would rather stay anonymous.
I have seen similar examples of over entitled Platinum's.
I agree with the anonymous part. Coming out of a hub was pretty amazed when the gate agent actually read the names of three GS members asking them to come up for early boarding. I smiled making eye contact and waived him off as ok. Then two GS agents came to the gate with one seeking out the three. I was near the front of the line (gate lice habit )
so another GS joined me. Then onboard the GS agent came into the BF cabin and asked if I required any services upon arrival. All was appreciated but UA does not in this case help those who want to be anonymous.
Old Nov 23, 2014, 6:52 am

Programs: United GS 3 MM LT, Marriott Ambassador LT Titanium, HH LT Diamond
Not true

Originally Posted by Baze
I am not GS but have seen many posts on here that UA tracks their full fare spend with a bar on their account page. So I think the types of fares you buy on UA metal are a determining factor and that if you spend a lot and fly a lot but only buy cheap fares you may not make it. Or has the FF spend gone away and they are just looking at total spend on UA metal? And as for where you are based, I have seen threads where people spent less than other but they made it and they are out of a smaller market. Or maybe they just got a corporate giveaway. I don't know.

The fact is, only UA knows how they pick people as there are no published criteria so saying things are a myth either way is still only speculation. All we can base it on is what people post, and we know nobody lies on the internet

I asked our United sales rep the question and she said it based solely on dollar spend, but the number each year is somewhat secret. I then asked her about dollar per miles, full fare tickets, etc. She laughed and said I must have read this on the Internet. She then gave the most straight forward explanation. If you fly 300,000 miles on low-fare inexpensive miles spending only $20,000 in a year you will not make GS. If you spend $75,000 and fly only fly 100,000 you will make GS. The two key factors in the explanation are $20,000 and $75,000. It does not matter what type of tickets are purchased.

Remember there are at least two other ways to make GS unrelated to your dollar spend. First as part of a corporate travel deal if your company spends enough money on United - my old company used to get 8 GS slots per year. Second, if you buy an air pass or whatever it is called now, where you pre-pay $50,000 for united travel in a year.
Old Nov 23, 2014, 6:57 am

Programs: United GS 3 MM LT, Marriott Ambassador LT Titanium, HH LT Diamond
Good

Originally Posted by MIGU
Your opinion ?

YTD 55k
260 EQM

Projected end of 2014 $67-70k

What are the chances ?
I just posted that in the past I have not heard of anyone who spent $60,000 who did not make it. The exact dollar cut-off is determined each year.
Old Nov 23, 2014, 10:39 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by JB123
I asked our United sales rep the question and she said it based solely on dollar spend, but the number each year is somewhat secret. I then asked her about dollar per miles, full fare tickets, etc. She laughed and said I must have read this on the Internet. She then gave the most straight forward explanation. If you fly 300,000 miles on low-fare inexpensive miles spending only $20,000 in a year you will not make GS. If you spend $75,000 and fly only fly 100,000 you will make GS. The two key factors in the explanation are $20,000 and $75,000. It does not matter what type of tickets are purchased.

Remember there are at least two other ways to make GS unrelated to your dollar spend. First as part of a corporate travel deal if your company spends enough money on United - my old company used to get 8 GS slots per year. Second, if you buy an air pass or whatever it is called now, where you pre-pay $50,000 for united travel in a year.
And I would almost be willing to bet if you asked another sales rep you would get a different answer. After many years of flying UA I have learned to never take anything as gospel you only hear from one employee. Affirm, reaffirm then ask for it in writing somewhere and we all know UA will pretty much never release the GS requirements to the public.

Last edited by Baze; Nov 23, 2014 at 10:45 am Reason: Fixed typo
Old Nov 23, 2014, 10:43 am

Programs: UA GS, UA 1.6MM, AA LT PLT, AA 2.6MM, Intercontinental Royal Ambassador
Originally Posted by JB123

Originally Posted by Baze
And I would almost be willing to bet if you asked another sales rep you would get a different answer. After many years of flying UA I have learned to never take anything as gospel you only hear from one employee. Firm, reaffirm then ask for it in writing somewhere and we all know UA will pretty much never release the GS requirements to the public.
I agree. I've heard different things from different people at UA over the years. I mean no disrespect to my fellow GS and UA MP members who claim that location or CPM means nothing and that spend is the only factor, but I think they know as much as anyone else which to say that none of us really know.

What I've been told is that pmUA did look at only premium fares to determine GS status. When the IT cutover occurred, I was told that total spend is all that mattered in the initial year. But now I'm told that UA is getting more detail on GS spending (high fares, CPM, location, etc.) and will further refine the methodology used to determine GS status. What this means is that I don't know either. I suspect that what I've been told has some truth to it.

My own opinion is that total spend does make up the majority of of the analysis but that there's more to it behind the scenes. I just have seen too many anomalies on both the upside and downside to rely purely on spend as the only barometer for admittance.
Old Nov 23, 2014, 8:37 pm

Hi. Wanted to check-in and see if I could bother people to give me their two cents if I might make GS for 2015. My BIS and spend Google spreadsheet is below. SFO based.

$60K spend. 83K BIS. SFO.

https://docs.google.com/a/murrays.or...nbs/edit#gid=0

Thanks!

Last edited by ew6050; Nov 23, 2014 at 10:09 pm
Old Nov 23, 2014, 8:41 pm

Programs: UA GS, Marriott Platinum, Global Entry
Originally Posted by tangofox
long time lunker, first time poster here with a question about chances of initial GS invitation. I was CO platinum in the two immediate pre-merger years before my travels stopped abruptly. business travel picked up, and I qualified for silver last week starting from zero in july. I've extrapolated my stats, and they will look like this by december if my patterns continue.

IAH based
74,500 pqm
$58,000 pqd
.77 cpm
most of my travel will likely be e, u, m, b international last minute fares. only way I'll travel unrestricted or first will be if there are no other open seats.

how am I looking? I'm willing to do a mileage run to get over the platinum hump if it'll make me more attractive.
December is almost here and I looked up my first post to see how off my projection was. This is where I stand today:

BIS 76,xxx
PQD $61,xxx
PQS 36
CPM .80

Still flying Economy, but I've had 4 B, D, and Y segments.

Here's hoping this is enough to earn an invite.
Old Nov 24, 2014, 12:56 am

Programs: UA 1K, AA ExecPlat, JB TrueBlue, HH Gld, Marr PLAT, IHG Gold, SPG Plat
2015 Global Services

How do I get considered for GS 2015? Is there a request I need to make? Who do I contact? Where do I go?
I am not sure if I am going to get it or not. I will end the year with about 120k miles, 40 PQS, over $40k spent, and 90% of the segments in Business or First.
I am guessing at least they will consider it.
Old Nov 24, 2014, 1:09 am

Programs: AA Exec Plat; UA MM Gold; Marriott Lifetime Titanium; Hilton Diamond
"Don't call us. We'll call you."
Old Nov 24, 2014, 1:34 am

Programs: SU
I only know one person with GS and he spends more than USD100k per year.
Old Nov 24, 2014, 2:11 am

Programs: UA GS
This belongs in the existing 2014 thread.
Old Nov 24, 2014, 3:18 am

Programs: UA 1 MM, AA, DL
Originally Posted by Always Flyin
"Don't call us. We'll call you."

Think of it as a private club, like it used to be when it was called The 100,000 Mile Club.
Old Nov 24, 2014, 3:42 am
Suspended

Programs: UA 1K 1.8MM, Hertz PC, Marriott Platinum/Lifetime Gold
Originally Posted by fab221
How do I get considered for GS 2015? Is there a request I need to make? Who do I contact? Where do I go?
I am not sure if I am going to get it or not. I will end the year with about 120k miles, 40 PQS, over $40k spent, and 90% of the segments in Business or First.
I am guessing at least they will consider it.
As others have noted, invitation-only.
Also, a simple search "Global Search" would have answered your question
http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/unite...-q-2014-a.html

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.