Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Consolidated Compensation Thread [2014]

Search this Thread

Old Aug 29, 2014, 4:00 pm

Programs: UA 1K 1MM ★G | Marriott LTT | Hilton ♦ | Hertz PC | Global Entry TSA Pre ✓
Originally Posted by 110pgl
My 2 cents...

Delta... The IDB part... he had the right to the predetermined amount, in cash, at the time of IDB. He also had the right to see his IDB rights.

UA... What will UA do? Given recent experiences here, probably very little. Under 4 hour delay to a non-elite equals little/no compensation.

US... Why did he not board his plane? Did US say no, or did he "choose" to stay?

If US says he did it for his own convenience, I think he will get very little to nothing. I highly doubt US will give him hotel cost. They certainly will not give it directly... rather they would give him a voucher as "goodwill", but, even then it will depend on 'why' they say he did not get on the plane.
Not sure why he chose to stay rather than fly to PHX to overnight there.... I think he chose FAT because he knows the area better. I am shocked that they didn't offer hotel comp, as it was a mx delay that initiated this.
Old Aug 29, 2014, 5:27 pm
Moderator, Omni, Omni/PR, Omni/Games, FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: UA 1K MM; Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by liddy0021
Anyone receive compensation after WX turns to MX? I had an 8hr delay earlier this week and haven't heard a peep.

The first few hours were wx, the last 4 were fuel adjustments, then crew.
Have you contacted UA yet? They are very poor at proactive compensation these days; long gone are the times where you'd have an e-mail from customer service in your inbox before you'd landed.

My office mate and his wife had a ~24 hour delay plus downgrade from paid C to Y on a TATL, and all UA offered was the fare difference for the downgrade (and we know how they skimp on calculating that, too!). At my advice, he wrote in, and they threw in an additional 10k RDM, which IMHO was still not sufficient, but it was better than the nothing which UA had given him to start with.
Old Aug 29, 2014, 5:48 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

This past Monday 8-25-14 was on the afternoon KOA-SFO flight. Inbound plane was almost 5 hours late. UA said it was mechanical. When the plane arrived it was taking a while to start boarding. Finally the ground crew said one of the FA's was going to go illegal hours wise on the return and they were discussing with ops what to do. We did take off but the FA's made it very clear as we were boarding they were going to file a grievance. The delay and this bit#hing made it an unpleasant start to the journey home. As SFO was our home we did not need re-accomodation or hotels and UA was proactively doing this for people that needed it. I did write in and the complaint was more about the FA's attitude towards the customer about the grievance than being late. I stated clearly they should have kept it internal and not subjected the customers to their anger about it. UA gave both myself and my wife 8750 miles each. Wasn't expecting anything and didn't ask for anything but was a nice gesture on UA's part. We were also on F saver awards for this trip so just made the trip that much cheaper miles wise. As an added bonus, this extended the exertion of my wife's miles which were going to expire in December.
Old Sep 1, 2014, 9:12 pm

Compensation advice for convoluted itinerary

I had quite a bit of bad luck with delays and cancellations today... wondering if people could chime in on what compensations I should be expecting from UA due to EU/DOT/UA rules.

My original itinerary with 2 passengers:

EU-HUB-AAA on 1 reservation with 2 passenger. My girlfriend terminates here.
AAA-HUB2-BBB on separate reservation with 1 passenger, I terminate here.

EU-HUB was delayed due to late arriving aircraft (which was late due to ATC) EU-HUB arrived 2:50 after original schedule.

Prior to the departure of EU-HUB, itineraries were rearranged as such:

The original HUB-AAA would be missed. My girlfriend took a later HUB-AAA which arrived 3:20 later than originally scheduled.

As the later HUB-AAA would arrive after the scheduled departure of AAA-HUB2, I was instead routed directly from HUB to BBB, bypassing AAA and HUB2. Initially, this was scheduled with a very tight (~30m) connection, which is basically impossible given luggage pickup and immigration. This original flight is scheduled to arrive at BBB 6.5 hours ahead of the original itinerary.

As expected, the first attempt at HUB-BBB misconnected, and I was confirmed on the later HUB-BBB. This flight was scheduled to arrive at BBB 3.5 hours after the last flight, and 3 hours before the originally scheduled arrival.

The last HUB-BBB of the day cancelled due to mechanical. I am currently confirmed for tomorrow's first HUB-BBB flight, scheduled to arrive 9+ hours after the original schedule, or 12 hours later than the last confirmed schedule.

So, what of how many types of compensation am I entitled to, and what should I be expecting? Does EU compensation apply here, since the trip originated in the EU? All I have so far is a free hotel tonight, and $21 in food vouchers. I'm UA 1K, btw.

As a bonus, I do expect plenty of VDB opportunities, as today's HUB-BBB are all fully booked...
Old Sep 1, 2014, 9:18 pm

Programs: UA GS, Marriott LP, Hertz Gold
500.00 voucher missed flight, delayed in ORD to LAX. Hotel voucher, no meal voucher. Got first flight out in the morning and F with CPU. I'll take it every time.
Old Sep 1, 2014, 9:20 pm

Programs: UA Plat MM, CM Plat, Amex Plat, Hertz CP, Hyatt Globalist, SPG Gold, Vons Club
Originally Posted by jon0
I had quite a bit of bad luck with delays and cancellations today... wondering if people could chime in on what compensations I should be expecting from UA due to EU/DOT/UA rules.

My original itinerary with 2 passengers:

EU-HUB-AAA on 1 reservation with 2 passenger. My girlfriend terminates here.
AAA-HUB2-BBB on separate reservation with 1 passenger, I terminate here.

EU-HUB was delayed due to late arriving aircraft (which was late due to ATC) EU-HUB arrived 2:50 after original schedule.

Prior to the departure of EU-HUB, itineraries were rearranged as such:

The original HUB-AAA would be missed. My girlfriend took a later HUB-AAA which arrived 3:20 later than originally scheduled.

As the later HUB-AAA would arrive after the scheduled departure of AAA-HUB2, I was instead routed directly from HUB to BBB, bypassing AAA and HUB2. Initially, this was scheduled with a very tight (~30m) connection, which is basically impossible given luggage pickup and immigration. This original flight is scheduled to arrive at BBB 6.5 hours ahead of the original itinerary.

As expected, the first attempt at HUB-BBB misconnected, and I was confirmed on the later HUB-BBB. This flight was scheduled to arrive at BBB 3.5 hours after the last flight, and 3 hours before the originally scheduled arrival.

The last HUB-BBB of the day cancelled due to mechanical. I am currently confirmed for tomorrow's first HUB-BBB flight, scheduled to arrive 9+ hours after the original schedule, or 12 hours later than the last confirmed schedule.

So, what of how many types of compensation am I entitled to, and what should I be expecting? Does EU compensation apply here, since the trip originated in the EU? All I have so far is a free hotel tonight, and $21 in food vouchers. I'm UA 1K, btw.

As a bonus, I do expect plenty of VDB opportunities, as today's HUB-BBB are all fully booked...
Any reason for the HUB/AAA/BBB rather than actual Airpot Codes. It is so much easier that way. Thanks and Safe Travels
Old Sep 2, 2014, 7:57 am

Originally Posted by Flying Machine
Any reason for the HUB/AAA/BBB rather than actual Airpot Codes. It is so much easier that way. Thanks and Safe Travels
Are you saying (s)he was not flying from the EU to Humbert River Airport (HUB) to Tuamotu archipelago in French Polynesia (AAA) then to Benson Municipal airport (BBB)?
Old Sep 3, 2014, 6:44 am

Programs: UA 1K, Marriott Gold, Hyatt Plat, GE/TSAPre
AVP-ORD-SFO 9/2. UAX flight delayed AVP-ORD for 5 hours due to maintenance and a diversion (smoke in the cabin) for the aircraft a few legs before my flight. Missed my connection ORD-SFO, not surprisingly.

Landed in ORD and hiked over to the CS desk at B and was immediately issued a hotel voucher and $14 of meal vouchers. Went on the Appreciation site and was given a choice for $75 or 3750 miles. Got an email a few hours later from the proactive customer team.

All the GAs and Premier line agents I interacted with during it all were great, no question of giving me the hotel and vouchers. Can't really complain, though I thought $75/3750 was a bit of a lowball I'm not unhappy with the experience overall. I would be if the United staff and crew along the way hadn't handled it as well as they did.
Old Sep 3, 2014, 7:00 am

Programs: UA 1k (12 year fallen GS) 1.7MM, AA 2.1MM, EK, BA, SQ, CX, Marriot LT, Accor P
Deleted - tatl wifi still has some bugs to work out lol....

Last edited by bmwe92fan; Sep 3, 2014 at 7:13 am
Old Sep 3, 2014, 7:01 am

Programs: UA LT 1K, 3 MM; Marriott Titanium; IHG Platinum
Write to customer care. You may get a higher amount. I think that the amount is also related to Premier status. A 1K might get $150. Good luck.
Old Sep 3, 2014, 7:02 am

Programs: UA 1k (12 year fallen GS) 1.7MM, AA 2.1MM, EK, BA, SQ, CX, Marriot LT, Accor P
Originally Posted by Baze
This past Monday 8-25-14 was on the afternoon KOA-SFO flight. Inbound plane was almost 5 hours late. UA said it was mechanical. When the plane arrived it was taking a while to start boarding. Finally the ground crew said one of the FA's was going to go illegal hours wise on the return and they were discussing with ops what to do. We did take off but the FA's made it very clear as we were boarding they were going to file a grievance. The delay and this bit#hing made it an unpleasant start to the journey home. As SFO was our home we did not need re-accomodation or hotels and UA was proactively doing this for people that needed it. I did write in and the complaint was more about the FA's attitude towards the customer about the grievance than being late. I stated clearly they should have kept it internal and not subjected the customers to their anger about it. UA gave both myself and my wife 8750 miles each. Wasn't expecting anything and didn't ask for anything but was a nice gesture on UA's part. We were also on F saver awards for this trip so just made the trip that much cheaper miles wise. As an added bonus, this extended the exertion of my wife's miles which were going to expire in December.

lol at least you got something - on my last flight home from ORD the lead flight attendant stood at the door with a stop watch (his iPhone) and basically harassed the GA as they attempted to get as many people on board as possible (was the last flight of the day and delayed three hours). When one of his FA times out she exits the plane and we waited another hour for a new FA to show up - the captain was so angry you could hear it in his announcements.... In all my years traveling I've never seen such contention between a flight crew before - so sad this is my 1,000th post....
Old Sep 3, 2014, 8:23 am

Programs: UA 1K, Marriott Gold, Hyatt Plat, GE/TSAPre
Originally Posted by Kmxu
Write to customer care. You may get a higher amount. I think that the amount is also related to Premier status. A 1K might get $150. Good luck.
That was my thought as well. I wrote to them mostly to compliment a couple of the employees I interacted with and also mentioned that it seemed low given that while the UAX flight was a short one the ultimate delay to me was ~12 hours.

That said, if I don't get an increase I won't be unhappy overall. So I guess that means they're doing their job pretty well.
Old Sep 3, 2014, 9:46 am

Programs: Mileage Plus 1K; Marriott Platinum; Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by Baze
.... UA gave both myself and my wife 8750 miles each. Wasn't expecting anything and didn't ask for anything but was a nice gesture on UA's part. We were also on F saver awards for this trip so just made the trip that much cheaper miles wise. As an added bonus, this extended the exertion of my wife's miles which were going to expire in December.
I like this terminology "exertion of my wife's miles" and would recommend that it be added to the FT lexicon.

Next time I book an award, I'll think about exerting my miles all the way.
Old Sep 5, 2014, 11:04 am

Compensation for broken seat

Last week, my wife flew SFO-TPE, a 13-hour flight. She paid for an E+ seat but it turned out that it would not recline and no other seat was available.

The FA gave her a claim number which she submitted in the on-line system.
Today, she received an email with apologies and said she would be receiving an Electronic Travel Certificate in a separate email (no specifics mentioned).

What can she expect?
Old Sep 5, 2014, 11:08 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: American Airlines
Originally Posted by chriskuo
Last week, my wife flew SFO-TPE, a 13-hour flight. She paid for an E+ seat but it turned out that it would not recline and no other seat was available.

The FA gave her a claim number which she submitted in the on-line system.
Today, she received an email with apologies and said she would be receiving an Electronic Travel Certificate in a separate email (no specifics mentioned).

What can she expect?
Was it an exit row? The last exit row is non reclining.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.