Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Consolidated Compensation Thread [2014]

Search this Thread

Old Jan 3, 2014, 6:15 pm

Originally Posted by WineCountryUA
nope --- weight restriction bumps on sub-70 passagner aircraft are exempt from DOT IDB rules.
Flights from PSP are all UX.
You are correct... but because it connected to International (larger) plane, is it still exempt?

I will defer to you.
Old Jan 3, 2014, 6:17 pm
Suspended

Programs: AC Elite 50K, Amex AP Plat, Choice Privileges, National Exec Elite, Via Prefrence
nope --- weight restriction bumps on sub-70 passagner aircraft are exempt from DOT IDB rules.
Flights from PSP are all UX.
So do you think $300 was fair or should I ask for more?
Old Jan 3, 2014, 6:17 pm
Moderator: United Airlines

Programs: UA Plat 1.995MM, Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott Plat/LT Gold, Hilton Silver, IHG Plat
Originally Posted by 110pgl
You are correct... but because it connected to International (larger) plane, is it still exempt? ....
onward connection is not a factor.

Originally Posted by kwflyer
So do you think $300 was fair or should I ask for more?
you ask for what you think is fair. Part of UA's consideration is passenger's status and fare/cabin. If it was me, I would expect more for an 1K (probably upgraded).
Old Jan 3, 2014, 6:21 pm
Suspended

Programs: AC Elite 50K, Amex AP Plat, Choice Privileges, National Exec Elite, Via Prefrence
Originally Posted by 110pgl
Assuming you did not volunteer, then you IVB and your rights are pretty straight forward... International Flight, I think you are entitled to $1300. (You arrived 15 hours late... paraphrasing the rules... "Compensation shall be 400% of the fare to the passenger's destination or first stopover, with a maximum of $1,300... more than four hours the passenger's original flight".)
It was a semi-volunteer. I was told that if I did not volunteer that I would be bumped and that no compensation would be provided then.

onward connection is not a factor.

you ask for what you think is fair. Part of UA's consideration is passenger's status and fare/cabin. If it was me, I would expect more for an 1K (probably upgraded).
I'm looking for guidelines here. Is an additional $300 travel credit not unreasonable then?

I'm an AC elite. But travel quite extensively on UA.

They did bump off pax travelling in F (4-6 I believe) with no status, and gave them taxi vouchers to LAX to make their onward connection. no additional compensation was given to them. I have a hard time believing PSP-LAX is an elite heavy route.

Last edited by iluv2fly; Jan 3, 2014 at 7:43 pm Reason: merge
Old Jan 3, 2014, 6:25 pm

Programs: UA Plat 1.995MM, Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott Plat/LT Gold, Hilton Silver, IHG Plat
It was a semi-volunteer. I was told that if I did not volunteer that I would be bumped and that no compensation would be provided then.
if you signed the VDB form, your fate is sealed concerning additionally compensation. If you did not sign, you still have options.

Any additional compensation would be based on a "complaint" and not your negotiating skills for VDB.
Old Jan 3, 2014, 6:28 pm
Suspended

if you signed the VDB form, your fate is sealed concerning additionally compensation. If you did not sign, you still have options.

Any additional compensation would be based on a "complaint" and not your negotiating skills for VDB.
They gave me a form to fill out wanting my address. No signature.
Old Jan 3, 2014, 6:47 pm

They gave me a form to fill out wanting my address. No signature.
did you read the form or keep a copy? Did it state by filling out the form you were accepting the voluntary change and compensation offered?

more here, http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/unite...ua-2013-a.html
Old Jan 3, 2014, 9:34 pm

Programs: Aeroplan
Compensation for UA/Immigration Shenanigans

I was flying from Liberia, Costa Rica to Toronto (via Chicago) with a friend. We cleared all immigration/customs together but about 10 minutes before boarding they called my name and I was told there was a problem with immigration and I would not be leaving on my flight. Another 2 families booked on the flight were told the same thing and we waited for a supervisor to arrive to explain this immigration issue. My friend boarded and the plane departed, meanwhile we were still waiting for answers. Eventually one of the families became irate and the agent said he would "be right back." He never came back.

After about 30 minutes I started walking around the airport looking for a UA rep. At the other side of the airport (Liberia isn't very big) I found a group of people who were all told the same thing I was (about 12-20 people). Apparently someone working for UA lost all those little immigration forms you fill out and that was why we couldn't leave on our original flights.

When I got to the counter the agent told me that I was going to go to Houston, spend the night in Houston and would fly home the next day. They would comp the hotel and offered $200 for their mistake. The agent told me I could redeem it for cash in Houston but when I got to Houston the rep said it was only good for a flight credit. Upon closer inspection it does indeed say "flight credit" but I didn't get a good look at it as I was rushed through everything and never got a chance to explore my options. When I was talking to the agent the flight for Houston was almost done boarding and I had to run to make the new flight.

I was supposed to get home January 2 at midnight and got home January 3 at 5pm instead. Has anyone experienced anything like this? Is $200 fair? Is it too late to be compensated any more? The original one way ticket was about $360.

Thanks so much!
Old Jan 3, 2014, 10:54 pm
formerly known as felinaar

Programs: UA Plat, AA Gold, AS MVPG, Hyatt Diamond, Hilton Diamond, SPG Gold
IMO, $200 is not enough for what was clearly their mistake on an international itinerary. The cost of your ticket is only somewhat relevant. Hold out for $400.

They owed you a hotel room anyway for getting you home late and making you stay over in Houston, so it shouldn't be counted against your compensation (if they happen to make that argument).
Old Jan 3, 2014, 11:01 pm

Programs: UA, Starwood, Priority Club, Hertz, Starbucks Gold Card
Welcome to FT! Sorry that you had to experience this ordeal. There are many of us who can provide invaluable information for you. Hopefully many will chime in on this.

Personally, I don't see $200 as enough compensation. Perhaps others can shed light about whether this constitutes as IDB, in which case the compensation is more, but there are so many other things here that in the least deserve a clearer explanation from UA. I would write UA through the website customer support link, and let them know that $200 and an "oops" for apology are not acceptable. If we are asked to be responsible for our own documents when traveling internationally, UA should own up to their responsibility, too.
Old Jan 3, 2014, 11:11 pm

Programs: UA1K, LH GM, AA EXP->GM
As the OP was not at fault, this was an IDB. Maybe Costa Rica has set rules regarding IDBs as the EU does.
Old Jan 3, 2014, 11:17 pm

Originally Posted by sinoflyer
.... Perhaps others can shed light about whether this constitutes as IDB, .....
Originally Posted by weero
As the OP was not at fault, this was an IDB. .....
IDB??? OP was held for immigration issues, even if the issue was UA's faulty handing of paperwork, UA did not block travel -- the immigration folks did. Not IDB by any definition I'm aware of.
Old Jan 3, 2014, 11:26 pm

Programs: UA1K, LH GM, AA EXP->GM
IDB??? OP was held for immigration issues, even if the issue was UA's faulty handing of paperwork, UA did not block travel -- the immigration folks did. Not IDB by any definition I'm aware of.
The OP:
Originally Posted by DarlingGirl
..We cleared all immigration/customs together ..<snip> ..I was told there was a problem with immigration and I would not be leaving on my flight
That doesn't sound like immigration to me. That was UA.

What makes you think that this was not an IDB??? UA denied the OP boarding. Just that the reason wasn't (perhaps or officially) overbooking but bungling of some paperwork.
Old Jan 3, 2014, 11:32 pm

Programs: UA, Starwood, Priority Club, Hertz, Starbucks Gold Card
... UA did not block travel -- the immigration folks did.
Perhaps UA did block travel, knowing that had OP left CR without the lost forms, UA would be in bigger trouble with immigration. @:-)
Old Jan 3, 2014, 11:47 pm
In Memoriam, FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Alaska MVP Gold 75K, AA 3.8MM, UA 1.1MM, enjoying the retired life
Look at Rule 25 Denied Boarding Compensation in the conditions of carriage. That section seems to be all about oversales and compensation under that scenario.

At the very bottom of Rule 25:

Denied Boarding Non-U.S.A./Canada Flight Origin - Where there is an Oversold UA flight that originates outside the U.S.A. or Canada, no compensation will be provided except where required by local or international laws regulating Oversold flights
So, is there a law in Costa Rica covering denied boarding compensation and is it exclusive to oversales or not? Sounds like a lot will ride on their law in this case.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.