Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Consolidated Compensation Thread [2014]

Search this Thread

Old Jan 3, 2014, 8:54 am

Are there any alternative airports that you can fly to that can get you close to your final destination?
Old Jan 3, 2014, 8:56 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: HH Gold, AA Gold
Unlike the EU, airline passengers in the US are pretty much on their own (thanks to the pro-business-at-all-costs proponents). That said, the OP can write in explaining that it was a mechanical delay and they may grant a small voucher or some FF miles.
Old Jan 3, 2014, 8:56 am

I don't mind the delay getting rebooked -- that's how things go. The two-day delay, though, means I'm missing a talk I was supposed to be paid for, I'll have to hire someone to take over something I was committed to do, plus I'll need to rent a car to get back to the place I was staying. So if they're offering compensation, I don't want to miss out on it. The problem is definitely a mechanical issue.

I should add that the line here was over 100 people long, which is why I thought calling would be speedier. It is now down to about 30 people.
Old Jan 3, 2014, 9:02 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Amethyst Premier Plutonium Medallion
Originally Posted by Flyz
I don't mind the delay getting rebooked -- that's how things go. The two-day delay, though, means I'm missing a talk I was supposed to be paid for, I'll have to hire someone to take over something I was committed to do, plus I'll need to rent a car to get back to the place I was staying. So if they're offering compensation, I don't want to miss out on it. The problem is definitely a mechanical issue.

I should add that the line here was over 100 people long, which is why I thought calling would be speedier. It is now down to about 30 people.
your best option right now is to get to the front of that line, be flexible and friendly when you get there.

i'd be spending my time looking for alternate routings, airports etc with available seats and not blowing up FT looking for compensation.

after you get what you want, or get reaccommodated on another flight, the best way to ask for compensation is simply say "i've been flexible with this situation but due to this issue i'm now delayed xxx hours/days and i'm missing obligations. i feel it would be appropriate for UA to compensate me for that lost time. what can you do to help?" don't be surprised if UA agent tells you to email your complaint, and if you do, don't be surprised if it takes 3-4 weeks to hear back and you don't get much for your trouble. this is the current status quo at UA.

you might also want to look up "trip in vain" which, if you are missing all your obligations at your destination on account of this delay, you might be entitled to. typically this works only if the re-accommodated transport the airline provides you is scheduled to take you to your destination on the same day of, or after, your currently scheudled return trip.
Old Jan 3, 2014, 9:04 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K, Marriott Plat, Hilton Diamond, Hertz PC

The mechanical caused a missed connection.

Hercules caused the 2-day delay.

Trying to mix the two is only going to frustrate you, as everyone here has already cautioned. We've given you the advice - up to you to ignore it or heed it.
Old Jan 3, 2014, 9:05 am

Programs: United 1K, Marriott Lifetime Platinum; Hyatt Diamond/GLOB
It sucks to say this, but this is the kind of situation where elite status typically pays off.

This is my first year as Global Services, so I'm assuming in situations like this, Smizek will pick me up and drive me to my destination.

Even as 1K, I almost always had someone on the phone who would be working pretty hard to get me where I should be going.

If you have United Club access, that is where I would be going for help at the airport (while on the phone to United as I walked there). My second choice would be the ticket counter, and my last choice would be the big customer service desk with 1,000 other people.

Good luck.
Old Jan 3, 2014, 9:09 am

I'm already rebooked for Sunday. I'm not sure why people are advising me not to blow my top, as I'm probably the only calm person within view of me here at this jampacked airport. I know delays and cancellations happen. I know I'm in a better situation than many because I have a place to stay (having already booked a car to get back to my relatives), whereas the hotels around here are full. But it does cause difficulty and I don't want to miss out on compensation if there's any going. Back in the day, United used to offer a lot. I just wanted the expert word on what the norm is now. The line is down to about 20 people now so I'm going to go stand in it and see what happens.
Old Jan 3, 2014, 9:15 am
Suspended

Programs: UA US CO AA DL FL
OP doesn't say, but presume that this is a US domestic booking.

UA will pay limited compensation when delays are caused by situations within UA's control, e.g. MX. That is not likely to be much and it is likely to be in the form of a voucher. I would simply tote up the expense of getting back to your relatives, provide the receipt and submit it and not hold my breath.

Consequential losses, e.g., having to pay someone to give your speech are exactly what is not covered.
Old Jan 3, 2014, 12:22 pm
Moderator: United Airlines

Programs: UA Plat 1.995MM, Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott Plat/LT Gold, Hilton Silver, IHG Plat
... But it does cause difficulty and I don't want to miss out on compensation if there's any going. Back in the day, United used to offer a lot. I just wanted the expert word on what the norm is now. .....
Compensation, if any, typically is a post travel activity, once the full consequences are clear. The new UA is less generous than before and since every circumstance is different, so predictions will be difficult and probably unuseful. Status, ticket cost, delay .... are all factors.

At the airport they may provide food vouchers or hotel vouchure, but not much more. You will have to file a post travel request and do not expect to be made whole. It will likely to be future travel discount, either miles or credit $$.
Old Jan 3, 2014, 1:14 pm
gb6

What is the proper method to submit a complaint to United regarding a completed trip - the feedback form on the website under the 'Other' selection? And how long does it normally take to get some sort of response? Thanks in advance!
Old Jan 3, 2014, 1:22 pm

Programs: UA Plat 1.995MM, Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott Plat/LT Gold, Hilton Silver, IHG Plat
Originally Posted by gb6
What is the proper method to submit a complaint to United regarding a completed trip - the feedback form on the website under the 'Other' selection? ...
Eites have a specific email address on the back of their membership card but the general feedback email should work.

Originally Posted by gb6
.... And how long does it normally take to get some sort of response? Thanks in advance!
this can vary. 2-3 weeks is not uncommon from reports.
Old Jan 3, 2014, 5:17 pm
Suspended

Programs: UA US CO AA DL FL
Depends what your issue is, how clear & succinct you are and what you ask for. Most complaints get a cut & paste response which sometimes sort of matches what the CSR, who has 30-45 seconds to review what you wrote, thinks it's about, and then tosses a few miles or a small cert your way.
Old Jan 3, 2014, 5:34 pm
Suspended

Programs: AC Elite 50K, Amex AP Plat, Choice Privileges, National Exec Elite, Via Prefrence
I got bumped off a domestic flight (with an international connection to YYZ both on UA) in PSP due to weight restriction. Originally was supposed to fly at 7:30am and was rebooked on a 7pm flight (as they claimed all their flights during the day were weight restricted) with a $7 meal voucher.

Was originally offered $150 travel voucher which was bumped up to $300 after the supervisor showed (initial agent didn't want to give any because the flight was a turbo prop even though I had onward int'l connections). Said that was the max compensation they could offer.

Did arrive at my destination the next day approx 15 hours later. Baggage was not offloaded of my original flight so I ended up having to spend 2 hours in secondary customs getting that cleared .

I have heard compensation for international destinations should be around $600 especially if the delay is lengthy and beyond my control. Would be interested in hearing the forum's thoughts before sending an email to Customer relations.
Old Jan 3, 2014, 6:01 pm

Originally Posted by kwflyer
I got bumped off a domestic flight (with an international connection to YYZ both on UA) in PSP due to weight restriction. Originally was supposed to fly at 7:30am and was rebooked on a 7pm flight (as they claimed all their flights during the day were weight restricted) with a $7 meal voucher.

Was originally offered $150 travel voucher which was bumped up to $300 after the supervisor showed (initial agent didn't want to give any because the flight was a turbo prop even though I had onward int'l connections). Said that was the max compensation they could offer.

Did arrive at my destination the next day approx 15 hours later. Baggage was not offloaded of my original flight so I ended up having to spend 2 hours in secondary customs getting that cleared .

I have heard compensation for international destinations should be around $600 especially if the delay is lengthy and beyond my control. Would be interested in hearing the forum's thoughts before sending an email to Customer relations.
Assuming you did not volunteer, then you IVB and your rights are pretty straight forward... International Flight, I think you are entitled to $1300. (You arrived 15 hours late... paraphrasing the rules... "Compensation shall be 400% of the fare to the passenger's destination or first stopover, with a maximum of $1,300... more than four hours the passenger's original flight".)
Old Jan 3, 2014, 6:04 pm

Originally Posted by 110pgl
Assuming you did not volunteer, then you IVB ....
nope --- weight restriction bumps on sub-70 passagner aircraft are exempt from DOT IDB rules.
Flights from PSP are all UX.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.