Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

Have a Simple Question About United Airlines/MileagePlus? Ask Here [2014 Thread]...

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old May 3, 2014, 8:59 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: WineCountryUA
A new thread has been started for 2015; please see: Have a Simple Question About United Airlines/MileagePlus? Ask Here [2015 Thread]

Welcome to this thread to ask your basic, simple questions about United Airlines, its operations, or the MileagePlus program. We know that the airline is complex and we’ve created this thread for new and veteran members to ask those basic questions about United Airlines that you think must have an easy answer but just can’t find it or aren’t sure where to look.

These are the two rules for this thread:
1) Use this thread for a simple, basic question. Moderators may move posts to other threads if the question deserves its own thread.

2) Any member who can post a constructive, patient answer is welcome to reply.

Additional tools for members seeking information about MileagePlus:
United MileagePlus Master Wiki

"New" United Airlines Forum Glossary
Print Wikipost

Have a Simple Question About United Airlines/MileagePlus? Ask Here [2014 Thread]...

Search this Thread

Old Dec 16, 2014, 3:45 pm
Moderator: United Airlines

Programs: UA Plat 1.995MM, Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott Plat/LT Gold, Hilton Silver, IHG Plat
Originally Posted by RFLP
I have talked with the airlines service representatives several times-they told me all kinds of things, but the bottom line is now they tell me their computer shows that I have E+ seats but when I log in to UA website I can't see it-is that possible? These flts. are on Feb.4 OGG-SFO, and SFO-ORD red eye, both flt.# 422, the first flt.OGG-SFO is now AB 320, the SFO-ORD is B 757-I paid E+ fees for both when I bought the tickets.

When I talk to the airlines reps. they tell me I have seats in the E+ section and, it is a computer glitch-is it possible?
What do you see?
Do you see any seat assignment?
What happens when you try to select a seat?
Have you looked on the mobile app?
Does the seat assignment they state you have looked filled?
Did you ask the phone agent to re-sync the reservation?
Try resenting the ereceipt to yourself and see what that reports?

The phone agents are using a different system and this can lead to see different info.

Just noticed this
Originally Posted by RFLP
... These flts. are on Feb.4 OGG-SFO, and SFO-ORD red eye, both flt.# 422, ....
This is the direct flight issue -- ask the agents to split the segments.
http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/unite...itinerary.html
Old Dec 16, 2014, 3:57 pm

Programs: UA Silver
Just did final flights of the year, quick MR DEN-MCI (spotted with help from FT'ers, thanks!).

When will the miles post and will there be parades in the streets for my reaching Platinum for the first time?!

I love you guys
Old Dec 16, 2014, 5:15 pm

Originally Posted by JustBreathe
Just did final flights of the year, quick MR DEN-MCI (spotted with help from FT'ers, thanks!).

When will the miles post and will there be parades in the streets for my reaching Platinum for the first time?!

I love you guys
Usually within 48 hours-and if by parade you mean e-mail, then there's a possibility
Old Dec 17, 2014, 10:04 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AS 75K; UA 1MM; Hyatt Globalist; Marriott LTP; Hilton Diamond (Aspire)
Originally Posted by JustBreathe
Jwill there be parades in the streets for my reaching Platinum for the first time?!
Congrats on reaching Plat!

Your status should update within a few days. Beyond that, prepare to be underwhelmed. You'll be lucky to get the right card and package prior to Jan. 31.
Old Dec 17, 2014, 11:57 am

Hi all - thanks for this thread!

I booked an award (to SE Asia in this case) in Y several months ago, and booked it as a RT so that I could use a stopover and open jaw. I now have enough miles to pay the incremental 40k to do one direction in C (I understand that there's a change fee to do this).

Is there any way for me to make a change to one direction (either outbound or inbound) to upgrade it to C or F, without changing the other direction? I only have enough miles to upgrade in one direction but would love to do so if possible.
Old Dec 17, 2014, 12:07 pm

Programs: UA Plat 1.995MM, Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott Plat/LT Gold, Hilton Silver, IHG Plat
Originally Posted by dublin487
Hi all - thanks for this thread!

I booked an award (to SE Asia in this case) in Y several months ago, and booked it as a RT so that I could use a stopover and open jaw. I now have enough miles to pay the incremental 40k to do one direction in C (I understand that there's a change fee to do this).

Is there any way for me to make a change to one direction (either outbound or inbound) to upgrade it to C or F, without changing the other direction? I only have enough miles to upgrade in one direction but would love to do so if possible.
While it is doable online, probably easier to call. But yes it is valid and possible to have business in one direction and economy in the other.
Old Dec 17, 2014, 12:16 pm

Originally Posted by WineCountryUA
While it is doable online, probably easier to call. But yes it is valid and possible to have business in one direction and economy in the other.
Amazing, thanks for the answer, glad to hear that!

As a follow-up then, could you clarify for me where the 'destination' is in my itinerary - i.e., where is the dividing line in the following itinerary between the 'inbound' and 'outbound', if I'm only able to upgrade one or the other?

BOS-xxx-DPS (spend several days)
DPS-BKK (spend several days) (open jaw)
USM-xxx-BOS
Old Dec 17, 2014, 1:28 pm

Originally Posted by dublin487
.... As a follow-up then, could you clarify for me where the 'destination' is in my itinerary - i.e., where is the dividing line in the following itinerary between the 'inbound' and 'outbound', if I'm only able to upgrade one or the other?

BOS-xxx-DPS (spend several days)
DPS-BKK (spend several days) (open jaw)
USM-xxx-BOS
Determining "destination" can sometimes be tricky with a stopover.

If there is a cost difference, the computer tends to label the more expensive city as the destination. In this case there is no difference.

So in this case UA may prefer the OJ is at the destination vs the stopover, so my guess would be BKK will be the destination but it could be DPS.

Looking at the fare construction or calling is probably the only sure way.
Old Dec 17, 2014, 2:18 pm

Programs: A few
Upgrade availability

How can I check upgrade availability for upgrading a transcon SFO-JFK using a systemwide upgrade instrument?
Old Dec 17, 2014, 2:29 pm

Originally Posted by ma91pmh
How can I check upgrade availability for upgrading a transcon SFO-JFK using a systemwide upgrade instrument?
To upgrade (if not a GS) you need R inventory. If the flight has R>0 then RPU/GPU/mileage upgrade requests will clear immediately -- otherwise you will be waitlisted.

To see fare class inventory you need to enable ExpertMode in your united.com profile.
http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/unite...cket-data.html

This will cause the fare class result in flight searches to become a hyperlink. Clicking on it will display the fare class inventory.

There are browser helpers for doing the display part automatically
http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/unite...ilability.html
http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/unite...nited-com.html
Old Dec 17, 2014, 2:30 pm

Originally Posted by WineCountryUA
Determining "destination" can sometimes be tricky with a stopover.

If there is a cost difference, the computer tends to label the more expensive city as the destination. In this case there is no difference.

So in this case UA may prefer the OJ is at the destination vs the stopover, so my guess would be BKK will be the destination but it could be DPS.

Looking at the fare construction or calling is probably the only sure way.
Thanks!
Old Dec 17, 2014, 10:40 pm

Programs: MileagePlus
When would PQD be credit?

If I buy a ticket for next year (2015) now, would the PQD be credited for this year (2014) since I pay for the ticket this year, or it would only be credited after I actually complete the trip?

TIA
Old Dec 17, 2014, 10:42 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: DREAD Gold; UA 1.035MM; Bonvoy Au-197; PCC Elite+; CCC Elite+; MSC C-12; CWC Au-197; WoH Dis
Welcome to FT, nqn827!

Originally Posted by nqn827
If I buy a ticket for next year (2015) now, would the PQD be credited for this year (2014) since I pay for the ticket this year, or it would only be credited after I actually complete the trip?
PQD are credited at the time the segment is flown.
Old Dec 18, 2014, 8:46 am

This site is great, such useful information, I am learning the ways of award mile ninjadom but wanted to get the communities opinion on an upcomming flight I need to take.

Dates - Jan 29/30 (FRI/SAT) - Feb 7/8 (SAT/SUN).
Destination - SFO - LHR/CDG

Business class is $8k or I can get a $1.5k W fare ticket and use one of my wife's GPUs, who is 1k. Or i can use award miles but round trip the business class will cost 300,000 (no saver awards available).

Annoyed no saver awards were available because this is clearly the "off season" to visit Europe, but what can you do.

As far as the buy W fareclass and apply GPU (from a 1k account). Questions:

What is the better day to travel - Thur or Friday outbound? Sat or Sun inbound?
Is W fareclass enough to get an upgrade or should I purchase a higher fare class?
What city am I more likely to get upgrading flying into? LHR or CDG?
Can anybody estimate the odds that my GPU will be processed?

Any other thoughs? My wife will be traveling on paid business class fare for business so I would like a high probability of being upgraded. Anybody with experiences with similar routes, please chime in!
Old Dec 18, 2014, 9:09 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K, Marriott Plat, Hilton Diamond, Hertz PC
Originally Posted by kymiller
This site is great, such useful information, I am learning the ways of award mile ninjadom but wanted to get the communities opinion on an upcomming flight I need to take.

Dates - Jan 29/30 (FRI/SAT) - Feb 7/8 (SAT/SUN).
Destination - SFO - LHR/CDG

Business class is $8k or I can get a $1.5k W fare ticket and use one of my wife's GPUs, who is 1k. Or i can use award miles but round trip the business class will cost 300,000 (no saver awards available).

What is the better day to travel...
Is W fareclass enough to get an upgrade...What city am I more likely to get upgrading flying into? LHR or CDG?
Can anybody estimate the odds that my GPU will be processed?

Any other thoughts? My wife will be traveling on paid business class fare for business so I would like a high probability of being upgraded. Anybody with experiences with similar routes, please chime in!
I would say Friday outbound, and Saturday inbound. Avoids some of the business fliers. As for not having Saver Business - the availability of Saver Business is not directly linked to off-season - as tourists don't fly business.

The facts on your particular flight (number of J seats available, number of E+ seats, current pricing buckets, etc) will determine the chances.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.