Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

Have a Simple Question About United Airlines/MileagePlus? Ask Here [2014 Thread]...

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old May 3, 2014, 8:59 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: WineCountryUA
A new thread has been started for 2015; please see: Have a Simple Question About United Airlines/MileagePlus? Ask Here [2015 Thread]

Welcome to this thread to ask your basic, simple questions about United Airlines, its operations, or the MileagePlus program. We know that the airline is complex and we’ve created this thread for new and veteran members to ask those basic questions about United Airlines that you think must have an easy answer but just can’t find it or aren’t sure where to look.

These are the two rules for this thread:
1) Use this thread for a simple, basic question. Moderators may move posts to other threads if the question deserves its own thread.

2) Any member who can post a constructive, patient answer is welcome to reply.

Additional tools for members seeking information about MileagePlus:
United MileagePlus Master Wiki

"New" United Airlines Forum Glossary
Print Wikipost

Have a Simple Question About United Airlines/MileagePlus? Ask Here [2014 Thread]...

Search this Thread

Old Dec 15, 2014, 2:47 pm
Moderator: United Airlines

Programs: UA Plat 1.995MM, Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott Plat/LT Gold, Hilton Silver, IHG Plat
Originally Posted by CruiserCLE
... If I book a domestic saver award for 3/17 AM , will I be able to SDC when I check in on 3/16 AM for a flight on 3/16 late PM? I guess I'm asking what bucket does a saver award come out of (and therefore what bucket would need to be open to do an SDC)? It looks like it books into "XN" class so does that mean I would need bucket X to open?

The outbound of this trip is a standard award so books into YN, which I assume I would only need Y to be open for. .....
Yes, you will need the same fare class as you presently have to be available for a free SDC.
These threads may help
http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/unite...-wikipost.html

http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/unite...lity-x-xn.html (while mostly discussion booking last minute award tickets, there is some discussion of SDCing into XN)

http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/unite...uckets-ua.html (explains fare classes -- including awards)
Old Dec 15, 2014, 2:49 pm

Programs: United 1K, Marriott Ambassador, Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by WineCountryUA
Yes, you will need the same fare class as you presently have to be available for a free SDC.
These threads may help
http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/unite...-wikipost.html

http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/unite...lity-x-xn.html (while mostly discussion booking last minute award tickets, there is some discussion of SDCing into XN)
Thanks for the quick reply! You and others on here are so helpful. So basically I will need XN to open in order to SDC to that other flight. The alternative would be booking the standard award and I would only need YN to open, correct? From what I've seen, Y and YN seem to have the same availability usually, is that your experience as well?
Old Dec 15, 2014, 3:22 pm

Programs: UA Plat 1.995MM, Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott Plat/LT Gold, Hilton Silver, IHG Plat
Thanks for the quick reply! You and others on here are so helpful. So basically I will need XN to open in order to SDC to that other flight. The alternative would be booking the standard award and I would only need YN to open, correct? ...
yes

... From what I've seen, Y and YN seem to have the same availability usually, is that your experience as well?
Except in oversold situations, I think that is usually true.
Old Dec 15, 2014, 3:51 pm

Programs: UA Gold
Just booked a reward award for a friend. Noticed my status didn't transfer over to the award ticket like it usually does. Is this a new change?
Old Dec 15, 2014, 3:54 pm

Originally Posted by emyh
Just booked a reward award for a friend. Noticed my status didn't transfer over to the award ticket like it usually does. Is this a new change?
Should not be happening yet but it is changing - http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/unite...-accounts.html

What did you notice different?

Last edited by WineCountryUA; Dec 15, 2014 at 4:44 pm Reason: left out the important "not" :(
Old Dec 15, 2014, 4:02 pm

Programs: UA Gold
Should be happening yet but it is changing - http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/unite...-accounts.html

What did you notice different?
I should have taken a screenshot of it, darnnit. No status tagged in the eTicket (though no change in baggage fee); it also asked me if I wanted to buy Premier benefits for the flight.
Old Dec 15, 2014, 5:53 pm

One way to complete miles for round trip tix

Originally Posted by herx
I have about 14,000 miles in my mileage plus account. I am looking for ideas to combine these with credit card bonus pints to get to 25K miles so I can get a round trip ticket. I have credit cards with available points:
chase ultimate rewards: ~45K
barclay arrival: ~45K
wells fargo propel: ~45K
citibank premier: ~3K points

TIA for any low cost ideas to get to a round trip ticket
It looks like I can transfer points 1:1 from my chase ultimate rewards to United mileage plus points since I have a Sapphire preferred. That means that for about $100 in points, I can complete the 25K points for a round trip domestic ticket

themilesprof howto
Old Dec 15, 2014, 10:26 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AS 75K; UA 1MM; Hyatt Globalist; Marriott LTP; Hilton Diamond (Aspire)
Hi Everyone,

(Hopefully) simple question about award booking and SDC. Did some searching but could not seem to find answer or did not use the right key words.

If I book a domestic saver award for 3/17 AM , will I be able to SDC when I check in on 3/16 AM for a flight on 3/16 late PM? I guess I'm asking what bucket does a saver award come out of (and therefore what bucket would need to be open to do an SDC)? It looks like it books into "XN" class so does that mean I would need bucket X to open?

The outbound of this trip is a standard award so books into YN, which I assume I would only need Y to be open for.
SDC is not really the relevant process or concept for a Plat. As a Platinum, you can change your award reservation at any time at no charge, not just within the 24 hour SDC window. You do need fare bucket availability - X/XN for saver economy, YN for standard economy.
Old Dec 15, 2014, 10:33 pm
Moderator: Budget Travel forum & Credit Card Programs, FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA lifetime MM / *A Gold
Originally Posted by Kacee
SDC is not really the relevant process or concept for a Plat. As a Platinum, you can change your award reservation at any time at no charge, not just within the 24 hour SDC window. You do need fare bucket availability - X/XN for saver economy, YN for standard economy.
I hate to argue with FlyerTalk Evangelist, but while I agreee that you can make changes at any time as a plat, you still need availability (as you very correctly pointed out) @:-)

And IME, that tends to open up late (though it can open up earlier) on a fairly full flight, so 24 hour window can be useful. Three hour window even more so, but that would be too late for OP
Old Dec 15, 2014, 10:53 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AS 75K; UA 1MM; Hyatt Globalist; Marriott LTP; Hilton Diamond (Aspire)
Originally Posted by EmailKid
I hate to argue with FlyerTalk Evangelist, but while I agreee that you can make changes at any time as a plat, you still need availability (as you very correctly pointed out) @:-)

And IME, that tends to open up late (though it can open up earlier) on a fairly full flight, so 24 hour window can be useful. Three hour window even more so, but that would be too late for OP
My point is you don't need SDC to do what OP wants to do. If XN opens tomorrow OP can make the change for free. Or if it opens at T-25. Or T-3. In all cases, it's just a free change to the award.

The benefit of SDC is that it waives change fees inside T-24. Since Plats pay no change fees on award tix, there's no reason to be talking about this in terms of an SDC. It actually just confuses things, because when you talk about SDC you also incorporate in a whole bunch of other issues, such as changing routing, whether you can change origin or departure point, whether you can change on or off UA metal, etc. Those are all irrelevant if we just talk about this as what it is - a change to an award ticket, which is subject to award routing and change rules, not SDC rules.
Old Dec 16, 2014, 12:56 pm

Programs: AA lt Gld - 1.7MM; UA GS; Marriott LT Plt; Thalys Gold
I am travelling with family on a common PNR (paid travel). I'm 1K and am wondering if my luggage allowance (3x70lb) extends to my co-travelers. Couldn't find anything specific about that.
Thanks!
Old Dec 16, 2014, 1:22 pm

Originally Posted by Buckdany
I am travelling with family on a common PNR (paid travel). I'm 1K and am wondering if my luggage allowance (3x70lb) extends to my co-travelers. ....
Yes

UA Checked baggage
Customers traveling with MileagePlus Premier members or dependents traveling with active U.S. military personnel will have the same exemption as the customer whose status provides for the benefit, as long as they are traveling on the same reservation.
Old Dec 16, 2014, 1:41 pm

Programs: AA lt Gld - 1.7MM; UA GS; Marriott LT Plt; Thalys Gold
Thanks!
Old Dec 16, 2014, 2:23 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K, Marriott Plat, Hilton Diamond, Hertz PC
Originally Posted by Buckdany
Thanks!
Just note that you give up any chance of upgrades for you and one traveler if you have all your family on one PNR.

Consider, for example, a family of four. If you don't need more than 6 bags, split you and one child off, and your spouse and another child stay.
Old Dec 16, 2014, 3:35 pm

Programs: Gold SPG and Marriott, Silver United Milage Plus
I bought my tickets to Honolulu-Maui-San Francisco-O'Hare-Cedar rapids a few months back-I paid for E+ and had selected my seats on all flights. Then UA started to change air crafts, and flt.#, I still have the selected seats on all flights except the OGG-SFO-ORD flts.

I have talked with the airlines service representatives several times-they told me all kinds of things, but the bottom line is now they tell me their computer shows that I have E+ seats but when I log in to UA website I can't see it-is that possible? These flts. are on Feb.4 OGG-SFO, and SFO-ORD red eye, both flt.# 422, the first flt.OGG-SFO is now AB 320, the SFO-ORD is B 757-I paid E+ fees for both when I bought the tickets.

When I talk to the airlines reps. they tell me I have seats in the E+ section and, it is a computer glitch-is it possible?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.