Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

Have a Simple Question About United Airlines/MileagePlus? Ask Here [2014 Thread]...

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old May 3, 2014, 8:59 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: WineCountryUA
A new thread has been started for 2015; please see: Have a Simple Question About United Airlines/MileagePlus? Ask Here [2015 Thread]

Welcome to this thread to ask your basic, simple questions about United Airlines, its operations, or the MileagePlus program. We know that the airline is complex and we’ve created this thread for new and veteran members to ask those basic questions about United Airlines that you think must have an easy answer but just can’t find it or aren’t sure where to look.

These are the two rules for this thread:
1) Use this thread for a simple, basic question. Moderators may move posts to other threads if the question deserves its own thread.

2) Any member who can post a constructive, patient answer is welcome to reply.

Additional tools for members seeking information about MileagePlus:
United MileagePlus Master Wiki

"New" United Airlines Forum Glossary
Print Wikipost

Have a Simple Question About United Airlines/MileagePlus? Ask Here [2014 Thread]...

Search this Thread

Old Aug 14, 2014, 6:17 am

Programs: UA Gold, Marriott Gold, AA, DL
Originally Posted by JVPhoto
What is the disconnect...

BUY UP TO UNITED FIRST
"No Upgrade Available" and then it shows the flight info & says 2 seats available.
USE MILES TO UPGRADE
"X Miles/Person" "Select R/GPU"...and then it shows the flight info & says "! Waitlist Only"

Why does it show seats available on the buy up tab but says you can't buy up and then on the miles/pu tab it shows wait list?
I can't speak for the Buy Up tab, but it is legitimate to waitlist for RPUs and GPUs. If they clear, it will likely be at the gate, and if they don't, your miles are refunded.
Old Aug 14, 2014, 7:28 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K, Marriott Plat, Hilton Diamond, Hertz PC
Originally Posted by steveman518
You could probably do a quick PHL-EWR-PHL or PHL-IAD-PHL turn. I'm seeing the EWR same-day turn on september 2/3/6 for $286, though that's not a particularly good price for that distance :P
IAD-BDL for ~$100 is a much better deal, even with the schlep over there.

I'd use ITA Matrix to find something else out of PHL.
Old Aug 14, 2014, 8:10 am
Moderator: Budget Travel forum & Credit Card Programs, FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA lifetime MM / *A Gold
Why does it show seats available on the buy up tab but says you can't buy up and then on the miles/pu tab it shows wait list?
UA takes an RPU off its books - but they will expire if unused. Cold hard Ca$h, OTOH ....
Old Aug 14, 2014, 10:20 am

Programs: UA 1K; Hyatt Globalist; Marriott Gold
Originally Posted by sbm12
If booked as a single award that would likely be US-EU Biz rates. They might be able to price it as an end-on-end award but I'm not sure that's really possible.
Thanks!
Old Aug 14, 2014, 10:48 am

Programs: UA 1K / *G / Marriott PE / Expedia Gold+ / Hertz PC
Originally Posted by DeterminedToUpgrade
I can't speak for the Buy Up tab, but it is legitimate to waitlist for RPUs and GPUs. If they clear, it will likely be at the gate, and if they don't, your miles are refunded.
Originally Posted by mzrn
Thanks!
I understand the Waitlist thing for miles/instrument upgrades...but it's odd that on the $ tab on the same flight it says "2 seats avail" but then the button is faded out and says cash upgrade not avail.
Old Aug 14, 2014, 11:10 am

I understand the Waitlist thing for miles/instrument upgrades...but it's odd that on the $ tab on the same flight it says "2 seats avail" but then the button is faded out and says cash upgrade not avail.
Originally Posted by EmailKid
UA takes an RPU off its books - but they will expire if unused. Cold hard Ca$h, OTOH ....
As already posted ....
Old Aug 14, 2014, 12:15 pm

Programs: UA 1K / *G / Marriott PE / Expedia Gold+ / Hertz PC
I guess I am still confused by the responses.

Simply.

The tab asking for $ says that two seats are available for upgrades but doesn't let you actually pay any $ to upgrade.

The tab for miles/pu's allows you to apply one and has waitlist only.

The question is more about the $ tab than the RPUs...why say 2 seats are available and then not actually allow you to pay for them?
Old Aug 14, 2014, 1:17 pm

Programs: 1K
Does anyone know where I can snail mail my BPs and a copy of my reservation to get M+ credit (address, attention, etc.)?

Do I snail mail the original BPs and keep a copy for my records or is it the other way round?

Also, in the cover letter, do I need to explain why I am not using the online system or is it OK for me to simply ask to credit requested flights?

Thank you!
Old Aug 14, 2014, 2:01 pm

This may be a noob question or dumb question but I plan to try to book a r/t flight to europe early next year, and I see 2 x 30k Saver award flights. Not sure what class,etc.

Are these usually pretty lousy seats or will I be okay? I've never flown overseas, and I'm kinda nervous of the thought of being stuck for 7hours, but as long as I can try to sleep some possibly or watch movies/tv ...then I may be okay.

thanks
Old Aug 14, 2014, 2:32 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA Plat, lots of AA, AS, DL, UA miles, former top level CO Elite (sigh...)
We will be flying from MUC to IAH in BusinessFirst. Will we have lounge access at MUC? Perhaps via an LH business class lounge?
Old Aug 14, 2014, 2:47 pm

Originally Posted by gamester990
Not sure what class,etc.

Are these usually pretty lousy seats or will I be okay?
Coach.

You can look at seatmap and at Seatguru.com to give you an idea. UA has seats similar to other US carriers.

Originally Posted by jlemon
We will be flying from MUC to IAH in BusinessFirst. Will we have lounge access at MUC? Perhaps via an LH business class lounge?
Yes.

Yes, one of several lounges, which are very nice. Not FC lounge
Old Aug 14, 2014, 2:47 pm

Programs: UA Gold, Marriott Gold, AA, DL
Originally Posted by jlemon
Yes, you should have access to the LH Business Lounge at MUC.

Are these usually pretty lousy seats or will I be okay?
These seats are in Economy. I would prefer Economy Plus, but frankly, as long as you are not too tall and have low expectations, these seats are perfectly livable for a trans-Atlantic flight. I expect you will get different responses from others.

The question is more about the $ tab than the RPUs...why say 2 seats are available and then not actually allow you to pay for them?
Perhaps there are, generally speaking, two seats available for this sort of upgrade, but something else about your itinerary restricts them? I don't have much to offer here.

ETA: Beat me to it, EmailKid!
Old Aug 14, 2014, 3:23 pm

Programs: Marriott Platinum, Hilton Diamond, IHG Platinum
I'm trying to find some photos of the 747 J cabin (upper and lower deck). I am curious to see the spatial design so I want to have an overview of the cabin (and not just a single seat). To my surprise, I could not find even one such photo on FT or Google Images. Surely there are some out there?

2-4-2 on LD sounds really cramped though.
Old Aug 14, 2014, 3:29 pm

Originally Posted by italdesign
2-4-2 on LD sounds really cramped though.
It is

Try Google advanced search for Airliners.net @:-)
Old Aug 14, 2014, 7:57 pm

Programs: United Gold
What is the best way to get from HNL to CMN while maximizing PQD and PQM? I'd like to visit over Memorial Day 2015.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.