Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

Have a Simple Question About United Airlines/MileagePlus? Ask Here [2014 Thread]...

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old May 3, 2014, 8:59 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: WineCountryUA
A new thread has been started for 2015; please see: Have a Simple Question About United Airlines/MileagePlus? Ask Here [2015 Thread]

Welcome to this thread to ask your basic, simple questions about United Airlines, its operations, or the MileagePlus program. We know that the airline is complex and we’ve created this thread for new and veteran members to ask those basic questions about United Airlines that you think must have an easy answer but just can’t find it or aren’t sure where to look.

These are the two rules for this thread:
1) Use this thread for a simple, basic question. Moderators may move posts to other threads if the question deserves its own thread.

2) Any member who can post a constructive, patient answer is welcome to reply.

Additional tools for members seeking information about MileagePlus:
United MileagePlus Master Wiki

"New" United Airlines Forum Glossary
Print Wikipost

Have a Simple Question About United Airlines/MileagePlus? Ask Here [2014 Thread]...

Search this Thread

Old Jul 22, 2014, 12:47 pm
Moderator: Budget Travel forum & Credit Card Programs, FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA lifetime MM / *A Gold
Originally Posted by maq0r
I just booked a H fare Economy Plus from LAX to LHR on Saturday, and I'm thinking of possibly upgrading to Business (it's a 10hr 30 min flight) I have No status whatsoever with United. Can I do this? When could I possibly do it? Of course I'll be paying for the upgrade, not expecting it to be free.

I'm asking because I usually travel with Virgin America and I know about the 6hr window thing, don't know if United is similar.
Not looking good if it's this Saturday:

Originally Posted by UAL.com
Available Cabins: F2, FN2, A2, ON0, O0, J3, JN3, C3, D3, Z2, ZN2, P1, PN0, R0, RN0, IN0, I0, Y1, YN1, B1, M1, E1, U1, H1, HN1, Q0, V0, W0, S0, T0, L0, K0, G0, N0, XN0, X0
With J being the number of seats available for sale, i.e. with only three seats for sale most likely not going to get the buy up offered. You could wailist with Ca$h and Miles (if you have miles), but with 3 seats left and without status I'd say your chances are low.

Oh, and do tell about the six hour thing with Virgin. And if it's trans Atlantic, then it's Virgin Atlantic
Old Jul 22, 2014, 1:11 pm

Awww. I saw the cash+miles thing but I don't have 20k miles haha.

The VAmerica 6 hour thing is, check in exactly at 6 hrs before departure and you can grab first class upgrades pretty cheap (like 110$ LAX-SEA, or 200$/225? LAX-JFK)
Old Jul 22, 2014, 1:42 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K, Marriott Plat, Hilton Diamond, Hertz PC
Awww. I saw the cash+miles thing but I don't have 20k miles haha.

The VAmerica 6 hour thing is, check in exactly at 6 hrs before departure and you can grab first class upgrades pretty cheap (like 110$ LAX-SEA, or 200$/225? LAX-JFK)
Domestic buy-ups like this even exist on UA (see the ToD thread), but not on international flights. Apples and oranges.
Old Jul 22, 2014, 1:50 pm

You can buy up on int'l itins as well. If it's available, there should be a button to upgrade flights at View Current Reservation to u/g for cash.

If no u/g available, no button.
Old Jul 22, 2014, 5:00 pm

Programs: Hyatt Plat, IHG Plat Ambassador, WN FF
I bought an "nonrefundable S" class ticket SFO- CDG round trip for 1291. If I have enough -super saver 60,000 miles is it worth it to change it? If so, what happens to the money I already paid?

Secondly, Is it possible to change flights on an award ticket for the Mrs? A non-stop opened on the return leg.

Last edited by Stumbling Inn; Jul 22, 2014 at 5:14 pm
Old Jul 22, 2014, 5:15 pm
Moderator: United Airlines

Programs: UA Plat 1.995MM, Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott Plat/LT Gold, Hilton Silver, IHG Plat
Originally Posted by Stumbling Inn
I bought an "nonrefundable S" class ticket SFO- CDG round trip for 1291. If I have enough -super saver 60,000 miles is it worth it to change it? ...
If award space is available, depends on which is less needed by you, the $$ or miles? At 2.15cpm (cents per mile) this is a decent return for the miles but read the next answer before deciding.

... If so, what happens to the money I already paid? ...
The money is non-refundable but can be applied to a future flight (travel must be completed within one year of the original purchase date). There will be a fee to use the credit -- dependent on the specific ticket rules, a first order question would be $300.

.... Secondly, Is it possible to change flights on an award bid? A non-stop opened on the return leg.
yes, but there maybe a change fee (depends on your status).
Old Jul 22, 2014, 5:38 pm

Programs: IAMAW Local 368/HAL 2 Star Mariner
Another question about the MileagePlus Explorer Card:

When I swipe my card, do the miles immediately post to my account? As soon as I swipe for $60 of gas at the pump and the little screen says "Approved", can I log into UA at that moment and see the miles posted to my account?

Thanks,

-LPDAL
Old Jul 22, 2014, 6:35 pm

If so, what happens to the money I already paid?
Originally Posted by WineCountryUA
The money is non-refundable but can be applied to a future flight (travel must be completed within one year of the original purchase date).
I suspect your 24 hour free refund timeframe is gone, in which case WineCountryUA's answer applies.

Originally Posted by LPDAL
When I swipe my card, do the miles immediately post to my account?
No, the miles post in one lump sum per month, some time after you're done swiping.
Old Jul 22, 2014, 6:48 pm
RNE

Originally Posted by LPDAL
Another question about the MileagePlus Explorer Card:

When I swipe my card, do the miles immediately post to my account? As soon as I swipe for $60 of gas at the pump and the little screen says "Approved", can I log into UA at that moment and see the miles posted to my account?
Originally Posted by EmailKid
No, the miles post in one lump sum per month, some time after you're done swiping.
To be specific, the miles post within 24-48 hours after your statement closes.
Old Jul 22, 2014, 8:34 pm

Programs: United MileagePlus: 1K
Lifetime miles

Do miles flown on award travel count towards lifetime miles? I know that only BIS miles on UA and Copa metal count.
Old Jul 22, 2014, 8:38 pm

Programs: UA Plat 1.995MM, Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott Plat/LT Gold, Hilton Silver, IHG Plat
Originally Posted by Gallager2014
Do miles flown on award travel count towards lifetime miles? I know that only BIS miles on UA and Copa metal count.
Award tickets don't count toward lifetime miles.
Old Jul 22, 2014, 8:39 pm
Moderator: Smoking Lounge; FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Lifetime (for now) Gold MM, HH Gold, Giving Tootsie Pops to UA employees, & a retired hockey goalie
Originally Posted by Gallager2014
No, miles flown on award tickets do not count towards lifetime status-nor do they earn miles
Old Jul 23, 2014, 12:00 am

I just applied and was approved for the Chase United Club card; will I get any sort of pref treatment on getting those upgrades??
Old Jul 23, 2014, 12:04 am

I just applied and was approved for the Chase United Club card; will I get any sort of pref treatment on getting those upgrades??
On paid tickets - none.
On award tickets - they become eligible for CPU if you are a MP elite (Silver and higher) because of MP Chase Club card.
Old Jul 23, 2014, 7:12 am

Programs: AA, UA, DL, UR, IHG platnium, AirAsia
I got two free United Club passes when I applied for and got approved for a 50,000 mile UA Explorer credit card mail flyer I had received and responded to. If I don't plan to use these two free day passes, are they sell-able on ebay, etc?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.