Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

Have a Simple Question About United Airlines/MileagePlus? Ask Here [2014 Thread]...

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old May 3, 2014, 8:59 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: WineCountryUA
A new thread has been started for 2015; please see: Have a Simple Question About United Airlines/MileagePlus? Ask Here [2015 Thread]

Welcome to this thread to ask your basic, simple questions about United Airlines, its operations, or the MileagePlus program. We know that the airline is complex and we’ve created this thread for new and veteran members to ask those basic questions about United Airlines that you think must have an easy answer but just can’t find it or aren’t sure where to look.

These are the two rules for this thread:
1) Use this thread for a simple, basic question. Moderators may move posts to other threads if the question deserves its own thread.

2) Any member who can post a constructive, patient answer is welcome to reply.

Additional tools for members seeking information about MileagePlus:
United MileagePlus Master Wiki

"New" United Airlines Forum Glossary
Print Wikipost

Have a Simple Question About United Airlines/MileagePlus? Ask Here [2014 Thread]...

Search this Thread

Old Jul 17, 2014, 5:59 pm
Moderator: Budget Travel forum & Credit Card Programs, FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA lifetime MM / *A Gold
Originally Posted by pbh220
Want to use the revenue buckets for booking UA upgrades, any changes since the original 2001 post/chart which I am still using? Specifically for econ>bz upgrades (R/RN).
Also for us low life that only upgrade from econ, are there any other upgrade buckets besides the "R, RN" code???
Econ to Biz using Miles and Ca$h or GPU (nee SWU) uses R, RN if you have higher status, but according to virtually all reports R=RN always.
Old Jul 17, 2014, 6:30 pm

Programs: UA 1K
Can you explain what you mean?

The current buckets are in the wikipost at the top of this thread: http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/unite...uckets-ua.html
Old Jul 17, 2014, 8:09 pm

Programs: United-GOLD, AA
GPU and SWU

Define please...
Old Jul 17, 2014, 8:16 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K, Marriott Plat, Hilton Diamond, Hertz PC
Define please...
Defined in the wiki a little more than can be done in quick fashion here. As there are fare restrictions, limits on who earns them and how many..etc.
Old Jul 17, 2014, 8:22 pm
Moderator: United Airlines

Programs: UA Plat 1.995MM, Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott Plat/LT Gold, Hilton Silver, IHG Plat
GPU and SWU
Define please...
See Upgrades overview for detailed explanation (SWU is an obsolete term for what is now called GPU)

a general reference for acronyms can be found in
"New" United Airlines Forum Glossary
and
http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/glossary.php

and a list of reference threads can be found in
United MileagePlus Master Wiki

Last edited by WineCountryUA; Jul 17, 2014 at 8:28 pm
Old Jul 17, 2014, 8:47 pm

If I buy a United ticket that includes segments of Lufthansa - do I earn miles for those segments based on Lufthansa fare class?

If so - how would I find out Lufthansa fare class before buying a ticket (to make sure I get a mileage credit for that segment)?

I assume the fare class displayed to me during order is from United?
Old Jul 17, 2014, 9:04 pm

Programs: UA Plat 1.995MM, Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott Plat/LT Gold, Hilton Silver, IHG Plat
Originally Posted by br2k
If I buy a United ticket that includes segments of Lufthansa - do I earn miles for those segments based on Lufthansa fare class?
LH operated segments earn based on LH fare class (at least for now).

...If so - how would I find out Lufthansa fare class before buying a ticket (to make sure I get a mileage credit for that segment)? ..
simple answer you can not (for free) -- only post purchase by calling the codeshare operator.
However, in the case of UA & LH, fare class tend to map directly to the same fare class.
There are some subscription tools, like EF, that provide tools for looking up fare mapping.

... I assume the fare class displayed to me during order is from United?
yes if a codeshare
Old Jul 17, 2014, 9:05 pm

Originally Posted by WineCountryUA
LH operated segments earn based on LH fare class (at least for now).
yes if a codeshare
And if not codeshare (i.e. reservation displays actual LH flight number, not UA) then the fare class is Lufthansa fare class?
Old Jul 17, 2014, 9:09 pm

And if not codeshare (i.e. reservation displays actual LH flight number, not UA) then the fare class is Lufthansa fare class?
yes in that case.
Old Jul 17, 2014, 9:11 pm

Got it, thanks! (and oops - need to keep looking. K on Lufthansa ain't gonna work)
Old Jul 18, 2014, 5:15 pm

Programs: Hyatt Plat, IHG Plat Ambassador, WN FF
I am a non-elite UnitedMileagePlus member and got 1 ticket SFO to CDG and back for Mrs. Stumble and then bought an S class ticket for myself (two separate PNR). Is it worth it to try to change paid ticket to half paid and half with miles? My cost is about 1290 bought in early June
Old Jul 18, 2014, 5:22 pm

Award ticket availability

Does United offer any BusinessFirst saver awards to Europe in the summer? I was following availability in March/April which was decent, and now there is nothing for June. Is there any chance they open up seats at a later date?
I am looking for an outbound, IAD - LHR and return MAD - IAD (stops ok).

Last edited by makelab; Jul 18, 2014 at 5:37 pm
Old Jul 18, 2014, 6:28 pm

Originally Posted by Stumbling Inn
I am a non-elite UnitedMileagePlus member and got 1 ticket SFO to CDG and back for Mrs. Stumble and then bought an S class ticket for myself (two separate PNR). Is it worth it to try to change paid ticket to half paid and half with miles? My cost is about 1290 bought in early June
In generally an OW paid USA-EUR ticket is same or more than a paid full RT. So to go OW paid and return miles would not save money and cost miles.

Originally Posted by makelab
Does United offer any BusinessFirst saver awards to Europe in the summer? ...
sure, but they were taken a long time (I got mine last December for August). A very common summer phenomenon.
Additionally UA had a deep discount business class sale (less than economy rices!!) a few months back and a lot of business inventory went that way.
http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/unite...ls-europe.html

Originally Posted by makelab
.... Is there any chance they open up seats at a later date?
I am looking for an outbound, IAD - LHR and return MAD - IAD (stops ok).
There is a reasonable chance of more opening up closer to departure -- traditionally AMS / BRU is the easiest Western Europe locations..
Old Jul 18, 2014, 6:53 pm

Programs: Star, Oneworld, Skymiles, SPG
I have two questions -- I don't know if this is the right wiki.

1) I booked a hotel on united.com along with an air ticket. I was under the impression that if you book a hotel (or rental car) through United, you get some miles. Haven't see them yet. Booking was made on June 20th, hotel night was on July 4th. Do you know if this is true? If not, then will book hotels elsewhere.

2) I booked a trip SAN-LAX-HNL-SFO-SAN on July 16th. Also paid for E+ for flights to/from HNL. Total $154 for upgrade. After booking E+ saw message that my seat 8A had "limited recline". Changed seat to 9D. Following message was above seating chart when changing seat:

"If your original seat is less expensive than your new seat choice, a new transaction will begin and your original seat purchase will be refunded."

Original seat was $85. New seat was $94. All charges have cleared (no longer pending) and United has charged me the original $154 plus an additional $94. I have been charged for two upgrades to E+ on one ticket.

Do you think UA will eventually refund the $85 they owe me if I wait awhile? Posslbly after the actual flights are flown? Should I complain and if so, where do I do this?
Old Jul 18, 2014, 7:16 pm

Originally Posted by eghansen
.... 1) I booked a hotel on united.com along with an air ticket. I was under the impression that if you book a hotel (or rental car) through United, you get some miles. Haven't see them yet. Booking was made on June 20th, hotel night was on July 4th. Do you know if this is true? If not, then will book hotels elsewhere. ....
Booking miles?? only if promo is happening.
Many hotels will give stay miles but does not matter where you book from.
Payment miles by using MP credit cards.

Originally Posted by eghansen
.... 2) I booked a trip SAN-LAX-HNL-SFO-SAN on July 16th. Also paid for E+ for flights to/from HNL. Total $154 for upgrade. After booking E+ saw message that my seat 8A had "limited recline". Changed seat to 9D. Following message was above seating chart when changing seat:

"If your original seat is less expensive than your new seat choice, a new transaction will begin and your original seat purchase will be refunded."

Original seat was $85. New seat was $94. All charges have cleared (no longer pending) and United has charged me the original $154 plus an additional $94. I have been charged for two upgrades to E+ on one ticket.

Do you think UA will eventually refund the $85 they owe me if I wait awhile? Posslbly after the actual flights are flown? Should I complain and if so, where do I do this?
common issue -- best to use phone agents to change seats. You will need to file a refund request.
BTW, on FT we prefer to refer to this as E+ access -- it is not considered an "upgrade." Upgrades are for when you change cabins.

Last edited by WineCountryUA; Jul 19, 2014 at 11:20 am

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.