Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

Have a Simple Question About United Airlines/MileagePlus? Ask Here [2014 Thread]...

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old May 3, 2014, 8:59 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: WineCountryUA
A new thread has been started for 2015; please see: Have a Simple Question About United Airlines/MileagePlus? Ask Here [2015 Thread]

Welcome to this thread to ask your basic, simple questions about United Airlines, its operations, or the MileagePlus program. We know that the airline is complex and we’ve created this thread for new and veteran members to ask those basic questions about United Airlines that you think must have an easy answer but just can’t find it or aren’t sure where to look.

These are the two rules for this thread:
1) Use this thread for a simple, basic question. Moderators may move posts to other threads if the question deserves its own thread.

2) Any member who can post a constructive, patient answer is welcome to reply.

Additional tools for members seeking information about MileagePlus:
United MileagePlus Master Wiki

"New" United Airlines Forum Glossary
Print Wikipost

Have a Simple Question About United Airlines/MileagePlus? Ask Here [2014 Thread]...

Search this Thread

Old Dec 20, 2014, 9:51 am
Moderator: Budget Travel forum & Credit Card Programs, FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA lifetime MM / *A Gold
Originally Posted by rmannion
I noticed an EWR-IAH flight on a 772 on Sunday (UA1178). Is this CPUable?
Yes.
Old Dec 20, 2014, 9:57 am

Thanks! I'm going to SDC to it.
Old Dec 20, 2014, 11:44 am

Just trying to make sure I understand some of the changes for PQM and PQD for the upcoming year as I start to look for possible flights.

I have the following business trips to the Asian Pacific region next spring:
IAH to MNL
IAH to KUL
IAH to SIN

From what I can see United metal is fine all the way for the Singapore and Manila trips so I will get both PQM and PQD but for Kuala Lampur I have to connect using a code share flight either out of Taipei on EVA or Hong Kong on Cathay Pacific (Malaysia Air for the first leg of the return). CX and MH don't show up as partners so I'm not sure why the UA site uses them.

Also flying UA for the IAH to KUL in BF is pricey at just over 10 grand. I could fly a lot cheaper on Turkish Air (a UA partner) at around $4200!

So with all the changes do we get PQD if UA routes me on a partner for a leg or if I fly a partner for the entire trip
Old Dec 20, 2014, 12:04 pm
Moderator: United Airlines

Programs: UA Plat 1.99MM, Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott Plat/LT Gold, Hilton Silver, IHG Plat
Originally Posted by Chrisinhouston
... So with all the changes do we get PQD if UA routes me on a partner for a leg or if I fly a partner for the entire trip
If the partner is on a UA 016 ticket, yes. If not or if the non-UA segment is non-mileage earning, then no.

See the Earning PQM, PQS and PQD when you fly table on united.com
or
http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/unite...ad-2014-a.html
for more.
Old Dec 20, 2014, 1:53 pm

Programs: *G / OWS / STE+
Hi everyone, could I trouble you with two quick questions.

1) If I travel in December but the miles are not posted until January (e.g. if they don't post automatically and I have to later claim them back), would they still count as this year's miles for qualification purposes?

2) If I book a flight that is marketed by a Star Alliance partner airline but operated by a non-Star Alliance partner, I think I would not get miles? How about if I book a flight that is marketed by a non-Star Alliance airline but operated by a Star Alliance airline? (the route is icn-hrb-icn, which OZ codeshares with CZ, in case that helps)

Thanks for your help!
Old Dec 20, 2014, 1:58 pm
Moderator: Budget Travel forum & Credit Card Programs, FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA lifetime MM / *A Gold
Originally Posted by bosskh
1) If I travel in December but the miles are not posted until January (e.g. if they don't post automatically and I have to later claim them back), would they still count as this year's miles for qualification purposes?
Yes, they count for the year flown.
Old Dec 20, 2014, 1:59 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K, Marriott Plat, Hilton Diamond, Hertz PC

1) If I travel in December ...

2) If I book a flight ...
1. Yes

2. Metal and fare class is what counts. So No to the first, and most likely Yes to the 2nd.
Old Dec 20, 2014, 2:02 pm
Moderator: United Airlines

Programs: UA Plat 1.99MM, Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott Plat/LT Gold, Hilton Silver, IHG Plat
... 1) If I travel in December but the miles are not posted until January (e.g. if they don't post automatically and I have to later claim them back), would they still count as this year's miles for qualification purposes? ....
Miles are credited based on scheduled departure date & time, not time of posting or not lost if there are delays.
More in http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/unite...years-eve.html

.... 2) If I book a flight that is marketed by a Star Alliance partner airline but operated by a non-Star Alliance partner, I think I would not get miles? How about if I book a flight that is marketed by a non-Star Alliance airline but operated by a Star Alliance airline? (the route is icn-hrb-icn, which OZ codeshares with CZ, in case that helps) ....
for UA & *A, the flight operator is what matters. Codeshares,... do not influence the posting rules. So if operated by a *A carrier (and the fare class qualifies) then yes, if operated by *A carrier and not a MP partner, then no.
For more detail see Airline partners and global alliances and click on the flight operator (if present). If not present, answer is no.
Old Dec 20, 2014, 3:27 pm

Please help

This forum has been a great benefit to me so I am just saying Hi so as not to be just a lurker.

Happy Holidays all.

Last edited by timothy2001; Dec 20, 2014 at 3:42 pm
Old Dec 20, 2014, 3:57 pm

Programs: *G / OWS / STE+
Thank you everyone!
Old Dec 20, 2014, 7:52 pm

Why would this happen? (math is hard)

Old Dec 20, 2014, 8:19 pm

Programs: UA Gold/0.744MM, WN AL, Hyatt Diamond, MR Scum, Hertz PC, National Exec, Avis PC
I've had a similar thing on a reservation starting tomorrow. Upgrade outbound for $199 per person. No upgrade available on return. Upgrade all legs for $398 per person. Not quite as drastic as your though. But it is one of those weird things where they won't sell you the upgrade in the second direction unless the first direction is bought (though yours is flipped and is cheaper than individual legs).
Old Dec 21, 2014, 6:06 am

Programs: United: 1K, BA: Silver, IHG: Plat, Hyatt: Plat, Marriott: Gold, SPG: Gold, Avis: Chairman
Originally Posted by rmannion
Why would this happen? (math is hard)

http://i.imgur.com/8jWCwRi.png
Wouldn't question it! If it lets you upgrade the return and waitlist the outward for 2,500 less miles that a one-way upgrade i'd up at it!

Last edited by FlyinHawaiian; Dec 22, 2014 at 5:42 am Reason: image removed
Old Dec 21, 2014, 6:07 am

Programs: United: 1K, BA: Silver, IHG: Plat, Hyatt: Plat, Marriott: Gold, SPG: Gold, Avis: Chairman
Question: On the BA forum there is a thread and blog that tracks the sale dates/prices for BA flights. Just wondering if there is similar one for international United flights? Need to book a few trips from IAH to LHR for March/May. Want to see if there is any indication if/when they will run a fare sale again on this route and what price to look for.

Cheers!
Old Dec 21, 2014, 2:50 pm

Is it true that an upgrade for UA Platinum is cheaper (less copay, less mileage deducted) than Gold? On my flight from Asia to the US, the gentleman next to me says that his copay to upgrade is less than $100/15,000 miles as Platinum….

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.