Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

Have a Simple Question About United Airlines/MileagePlus? Ask Here [2014 Thread]...

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old May 3, 2014, 8:59 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: WineCountryUA
A new thread has been started for 2015; please see: Have a Simple Question About United Airlines/MileagePlus? Ask Here [2015 Thread]

Welcome to this thread to ask your basic, simple questions about United Airlines, its operations, or the MileagePlus program. We know that the airline is complex and we’ve created this thread for new and veteran members to ask those basic questions about United Airlines that you think must have an easy answer but just can’t find it or aren’t sure where to look.

These are the two rules for this thread:
1) Use this thread for a simple, basic question. Moderators may move posts to other threads if the question deserves its own thread.

2) Any member who can post a constructive, patient answer is welcome to reply.

Additional tools for members seeking information about MileagePlus:
United MileagePlus Master Wiki

"New" United Airlines Forum Glossary
Print Wikipost

Have a Simple Question About United Airlines/MileagePlus? Ask Here [2014 Thread]...

Search this Thread

Old Nov 27, 2014, 10:46 am

Programs: UA MM/Gold; WN A-list; HH something depending; Marriott Gold
Originally Posted by RNE
Continental Airlines' computer system, which is used by United Airlines now—and which I lovingly call ENIAC—has a "bug" affecting reward bookings made by elite members whereby General Members in such bookings would be "treated" (for most purposes) as having the same status as the elite member in question, which is how elite status is shared, and works even if the elite member is not in the booking itself, but this is all ending April 15, 2015. (How's that for a run-on sentence?)
Ah, got it. I thought that bug was only related to award tickets where the status member booked a ticket for a general member.
Old Nov 27, 2014, 6:24 pm

Programs: HHonors, UA/MP
Is award ticket upgradeable?

I am sure this has been asked before and I recall previous award reservations saying the trip was not upgradeable. I have some miles left from my business travel days when I was 1K for a couple years. Now I am using some to visit my son in San Diego. My classes are HN (IAD-SAN) and X (SAN-IAD). Are these flights upgradeable?

Also, as I have not been on the site in some time, I was looking for the Coupon Connection which I used a good deal back in the day and do not see it when I logged in. Is it still part of Flyertalk?

Thanks,

Sheldon
Old Nov 27, 2014, 7:35 pm
Moderator: United Airlines

Programs: UA Plat 1.995MM, Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott Plat/LT Gold, Hilton Silver, IHG Plat
Originally Posted by sg7z
I am sure this has been asked before and I recall previous award reservations saying the trip was not upgradeable. I have some miles left from my business travel days when I was 1K for a couple years. Now I am using some to visit my son in San Diego. My classes are HN (IAD-SAN) and X (SAN-IAD). Are these flights upgradeable?...
Your standard award outbound and saver award return can be upgradeable if you are an elite with one of the new Chase MP credit cards. Otherwise, no.

... Also, as I have not been on the site in some time, I was looking for the Coupon Connection which I used a good deal back in the day and do not see it when I logged in. Is it still part of Flyertalk? ...
it was off the air for awhile but returned a few months ago.

You appear to have sufficient time and posts, try The Coupon Connection
Old Nov 27, 2014, 7:55 pm
RNE

I am sure this has been asked before and I recall previous award reservations saying the trip was not upgradeable. I have some miles left from my business travel days when I was 1K for a couple years. Now I am using some to visit my son in San Diego. My classes are HN (IAD-SAN) and X (SAN-IAD). Are these flights upgradeable? Thanks, Sheldon
Originally Posted by WineCountryUA
Your standard award outbound and saver award return can be upgradeable if you are an elite with one of the new Chase MP credit cards. Otherwise, no.
I don't think you made it very clear that the "upgrade" you referred to is a CPU. Whereas sg7z may be asking about using additional miles to upgrade an award ticket; this is evident from his aside, "I have some miles left from my business travel..." But it's certainly less than crystal clear what he's asking.

Anyway, while that kind of upgrade is not possible, it is possible to "upgrade" by canceling, redepositing and making a new award booking in a higher class, assuming sg7z has enough miles to do so.
Old Nov 28, 2014, 6:19 am

Programs: UA MM
1K program year & GPUs

Although I am over 100,000 miles for the year, I would only make silver because of the PQD were it not for my also accruing a million miles lifetime. On the UA website I could only find references to the program year with no clarifying of what the program year is. My 1K card is valid through Jan 31. Barring another negative change in policy, is this the end of my 1K program year?

Also, I have all 6 of my GPUs and would like to finagle an international trip for my girlfiend and I before January 31 - the remaining 2 GPUs I have offered to friends with no acceptance yet. In previous years I have used them on domestic flights - mostly I let them expire. I have followed FT links on how to find immediately up-gradable international flights, but in addition to appearing dated - it was hieroglyphics to me. Is there a simpler explanation? Will a 1K agent find immediately up-gradable flights for me? Does anyone have suggestions on nice destinations which typically have inexpensive W fares?
Old Nov 28, 2014, 6:28 am
RNE

The program year is a calendar year. Thus, December 31 is the end of the program year. However, status carries over through January 31 of the following year. So, say you are a Gold who only requalified for Silver this year, you'll still be Gold in January, falling to Silver on February 1.
Old Nov 28, 2014, 10:35 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

And to further clarify, any flights you take in January count toward that years status, not the previous years. The qualifying miles, segments and dollars reset to 0 on Jan 1st. So what you fly and earn from Jan 1 to Dec 31st determines your status but status is good for an additional month through the following January. Clear as mud?
Old Nov 28, 2014, 10:44 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K, Marriott Plat, Hilton Diamond, Hertz PC
I would not call an agent without having some idea of where you want to go....turning on expert mode and searching by segment.
Old Nov 28, 2014, 11:48 am

How do fare class PQM bonuses apply with 500 mile minimums? If a segment were 368 miles, e.g., would it be credited as 368*1.5=552 PQM or 500*1.5=750 PQM?

[Edit] Thanks, WineCountryUA!
Old Nov 28, 2014, 11:50 am

Programs: UA Plat 1.995MM, Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott Plat/LT Gold, Hilton Silver, IHG Plat
Originally Posted by rmannion
How do fare class PQM bonuses apply with 500 mile minimums? If a segment were 368 miles, e.g., would it be credited as 368*1.5=552 PQM or 500*1.5=750 PQM?
The latter - 500*1.5=750 PQM
Old Nov 28, 2014, 6:37 pm

Originally Posted by aacharya
I would not call an agent without having some idea of where you want to go....turning on expert mode and searching by segment.
Since I cannot fathom how to find immediately up-gradable W fares, I was wondering if an agent could simply tell me, once I decide upon a destination. I know W fares to Asia and Australia are pretty steep, and that many W fares to Europe are sometimes only about $100 more than K. I am pretty savvy about most aspects of flying, but I must admit I am quite the dummy in regard to using GPUs - I have never upgraded an international flight using them and following FT's Wiki instructions have gotten me nowhere. Could you be a little more detailed than advising me to turn on expert mode and searching by segment?

Originally Posted by RNE
The program year is a calendar year. Thus, December 31 is the end of the program year. However, status carries over through January 31 of the following year. So, say you are a Gold who only requalified for Silver this year, you'll still be Gold in January, falling to Silver on February 1.
Thanks. I wrongly assumed that the end of the program year was the same as the term of status. I could not find that January 31 date anywhere at UA - only on my 1K card.

Last edited by FlyinHawaiian; Nov 29, 2014 at 5:50 am Reason: Merge
Old Nov 28, 2014, 6:49 pm

Originally Posted by tmelanio
Since I cannot fathom how to find immediately up-gradable W fares, I was wondering if an agent could simply tell me, once I decide upon a destination. I know W fares to Asia and Australia are pretty steep, and that many W fares to Europe are sometimes only about $100 more than K. I am pretty savvy about most aspects of flying, but I must admit I am quite the dummy in regard to using GPUs - I have never upgraded an international flight using them and following FT's Wiki instructions have gotten me nowhere. Could you be a little more detailed than advising me to turn on expert mode and searching by segment?
Not sure which wiki you are referring to but these threads can help
http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/unite...cket-data.html

http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/unite...read-wiki.html

http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/unite...ilability.html
(also here - blogger site)

Quick tutorial of United’s “Expert Mode”
- blogger site
Old Nov 28, 2014, 6:56 pm

Programs: was UA 1K now Gold, cuz UA 1.3 MM; HA,DL,AS (no status in these), Marriott Gold
Reset flight search to expert mode

I seem to have lost the ability to display upgrade availability when doing a flight search. AFIK, all the grease monkey scripts are still there but perhaps expert mode is disabled. I can't find how/where to confirm or perhaps reset flight search to expert mode. BTW, this may be a consequence of updating my OS to Apple Yosemite or maybe not. Thoughts/suggestions?
Old Nov 28, 2014, 7:00 pm

Originally Posted by BH62
I seem to have lost the ability to display upgrade availability when doing a flight search. AFIK, all the grease monkey scripts are still there but perhaps expert mode is disabled. I can't find how/where to confirm or perhaps reset flight search to expert mode. BTW, this may be a consequence of updating my OS to Apple Yosemite or maybe not. Thoughts/suggestions?
- Make sure you are truly logged in.

- Check your account profile to see if Expert Mode is enabled. (http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/unite...cket-data.html)
Old Nov 29, 2014, 4:14 am

Originally Posted by WineCountryUA

Thanks very much. As I said I am quite the dummy - I was confused about fare buckets and how they are interpreted. When clicking on "fare class" I had no clue what all those letters and numbers meant - Wiki assumed that everyone would know and I daresay most people would. Your last link "Quick tutorial" went into further detail and explained it fully - thanks.

Now that I know what the numbers mean when clicking "fare class", I am still unclear on finding immediately up-gradable fares. If on a W fare there is at least R1, does that mean I will be immediately upgraded upon purchasing with a gpu? If not, what should I be looking look for?

Also, I am flying MCO-IAH-SJC for which I used a rpu and was instantly upgraded on MCO-IAH and waitlisted on IAH-SJC. I am confident that I would have been upgraded MCO-IAH with a cpu so I really only wanted to use the rpu only on the longer IAH-SJC, but the agent said I could not target segments on a domestic flight with a rpu? Is this true? If I am not being upgraded on the last segment, may I request that my rpu be redeposited since I would have been upgraded on the first segment with a cpu?

I read that you can see your status on wait-listed flights. Is this simply whether you are still wait-listed or not? Or can you see your chances? How? Does it involve scrutinizing still available fare classses?

Last edited by FlyinHawaiian; Nov 29, 2014 at 5:50 am Reason: Merge

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.