Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

Have a Simple Question About United Airlines/MileagePlus? Ask Here [2014 Thread]...

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old May 3, 2014, 8:59 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: WineCountryUA
A new thread has been started for 2015; please see: Have a Simple Question About United Airlines/MileagePlus? Ask Here [2015 Thread]

Welcome to this thread to ask your basic, simple questions about United Airlines, its operations, or the MileagePlus program. We know that the airline is complex and we’ve created this thread for new and veteran members to ask those basic questions about United Airlines that you think must have an easy answer but just can’t find it or aren’t sure where to look.

These are the two rules for this thread:
1) Use this thread for a simple, basic question. Moderators may move posts to other threads if the question deserves its own thread.

2) Any member who can post a constructive, patient answer is welcome to reply.

Additional tools for members seeking information about MileagePlus:
United MileagePlus Master Wiki

"New" United Airlines Forum Glossary
Print Wikipost

Have a Simple Question About United Airlines/MileagePlus? Ask Here [2014 Thread]...

Search this Thread

Old Nov 23, 2014, 12:47 pm

united plus member

I am 1K united plus member moving to Mexico, how will a foreign address affect the way I will earn status/miles? Thanks for any input
Old Nov 23, 2014, 1:11 pm

Originally Posted by joeiaia53
I am 1K united plus member moving to Mexico, how will a foreign address affect the way I will earn status/miles? Thanks for any input
Earning miles and status will be the same as if you were based anywhere else-the only difference is that there is no PQD requirement for non-US residents (yet)
Old Nov 23, 2014, 4:47 pm

Programs: 1P, Avis Presidents Club, Marriott Gold Elite, RCC
Best Untied Chase Card?

Have had a UA Chase Visa platinum for many years and always qualify *G the last 20 years or so. Wife received a invite for the Club card first year free then $395 renewal fee. Also see lots of Explorer card commercials but that does nothing for me as a Gold. Just wondering if there are other options out there that I may be missing. We easily attained PQD waiver and get 2 miles for each dollar and I expense United Club annual fee to business. Any insights? Thank you!
Old Nov 23, 2014, 5:31 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: DREAD Gold; UA 1.035MM; Bonvoy Au-197; PCC Elite+; CCC Elite+; MSC C-12; CWC Au-197; WoH Dis
Originally Posted by mirage47
Just wondering if there are other options out there that I may be missing. We easily attained PQD waiver and get 2 miles for each dollar and I expense United Club annual fee to business. Any insights?
If the PQM bonus from the Platinum card is useful to you, keep it since they don't offer that card anymore. It looks like the Club card is not useful to you compared to the others. The Explorer is nice for the upgrades on award tickets (that's the only reason we got them).
Old Nov 23, 2014, 7:55 pm

Programs: 1P, Avis Presidents Club, Marriott Gold Elite, RCC
Originally Posted by mahasamatman
If the PQM bonus from the Platinum card is useful to you, keep it since they don't offer that card anymore. It looks like the Club card is not useful to you compared to the others. The Explorer is nice for the upgrades on award tickets (that's the only reason we got them).
The UG's on award is one I missed. Thanks^
Old Nov 24, 2014, 11:21 am

Programs: OZ Diamond, Jiffypark Manhattan Gold
Originally Posted by mahasamatman
There's no "upgrade" involved. You paid for a J seat, so you ar entitled to it. On United metal, you can waitlist for the J seat and you will get it if one becomes available. I've had pretty good luck with the award waitlisting process, but it's still a good idea to monitor it yourself in case it opens up and the waitlist doesn't get processed.

If it gets to day of travel, you should be above all upgraders.
I'll keep looking every couple of days, it's just a bummer to see plenty of space on the other 2 flights but not mine!

I'm a bit ignorant though, how would I waitlist? I've looked at my UA booking and there wasn't anything (at least not obvious) in there, and I know Aeroplan had no such thing. I think it's fair to assume also that it's not automatically done. So what do I do to get this in motion ?

Thanks for the help dude
Old Nov 24, 2014, 1:49 pm

Where in Europe does UA fly direct-not a partner

We may try and go to Istanbul (return from Athens) but with devaluation a partner business is now 70,000 miles versus 57,500 if it is all UA flight. Besides Brusells any thoughts on a good transfer city to then make the hop to IST on a local airline so we can try and just use UA for the long trip from ORD? (this is a simple question right?)
Old Nov 24, 2014, 2:10 pm
RNE

Originally Posted by gregillinois
We may try and go to Istanbul (return from Athens) but with devaluation a partner business is now 70,000 miles versus 57,500 if it is all UA flight. Besides Brusells any thoughts on a good transfer city to then make the hop to IST on a local airline so we can try and just use UA for the long trip from ORD? (this is a simple question right?)
United Airlines doesn't to fly to ATH and IST.
BRU is good. So is MUC.

Although it's not what you're looking for, you don't have to connect in EU to get to IST. TK flies there directly from select US cities.

Last edited by WineCountryUA; Nov 24, 2014 at 7:14 pm Reason: trolling comments deleted
Old Nov 24, 2014, 2:57 pm

Programs: UA 1K / *G / Marriott PE / Expedia Gold+ / Hertz PC
BRU seems to have plenty of R and award space with a bit of notice. Are you just looking to connect or a stopover? If you do a stop over in BRU you can easily also visit Antwerp and I would even say Amsterdam.
I flew the reverse IST-BRU on TK and you may be lucky to get one of the planes that have an actual J cabin...and the catering is great. They bring you a tray and you think okay this is a decent little meal...then you realize you still have a main coming!
Old Nov 25, 2014, 1:04 am

Programs: AS 75K; UA 1MM; Hyatt Globalist; Marriott LTP; Hilton Diamond (Aspire)
You can connect through virtually any of the UA gateways in Europe. I second the TK recommendation. You get the intra-Europe connection on TK (or LH, LX, SN, or OS) in J for the United metal award price (115,000 miles).

The hard part will be finding any saver award seats to Europe.
Old Nov 25, 2014, 1:16 pm

57,500 for business to (evenutally) IST or ATH

Thanks all. If we can only get as far as BRU on United metal for the lessor miles that would be the plan. We heard maybe 2 nites in Bruges is wonderful. Then we would just buy a local connection (Ukraine Air $175 round trip but no flying over Ukraine!) Kacee you mentioned the better use of miles on all United metal to at least a good gateway city. That was my original question, besides BRU where in Europe does United have a decent number of direct flights from Chicago for maybe another stopover on way home? thanks again
Old Nov 25, 2014, 1:31 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K, Marriott Plat, Hilton Diamond, Hertz PC
Thanks all. If we can only get as far as BRU on United metal for the lessor miles that would be the plan. We heard maybe 2 nites in Bruges is wonderful. Then we would just buy a local connection (Ukraine Air $175 round trip but no flying over Ukraine!) Kacee you mentioned the better use of miles on all United metal to at least a good gateway city. That was my original question, besides BRU where in Europe does United have a decent number of direct flights from Chicago for maybe another stopover on way home? thanks again
Remember - a flight within EU even on partner J will still cost the "UA" number of miles. So you can fly EWR-FRA-IST as if it were UA metal.
Old Nov 25, 2014, 3:58 pm

Programs: UA 1K / *G / Marriott PE / Expedia Gold+ / Hertz PC
Originally Posted by aacharya
Remember - a flight within EU even on partner J will still cost the "UA" number of miles. So you can fly EWR-FRA-IST as if it were UA metal.
Correct...you just have to get across the pond on UA and then you can still fly into IST in J for the same price as if it were just the UA flight. If you want to do a stop over you'll have to call in and have them book so check your dates that there is also the EU-Turkey flight.

BRU, FRA, LHR are probably your best options in terms of hubs.
Old Nov 25, 2014, 5:48 pm

Programs: Global Entry · WN, UA, AS, DL, NH; IHG, Wyndham, Hilton, Best Value Inn, Marriott, Starwood, Ramada
Question MP activity

This is literally an 'open-jaw' query.
I've received one of those letters from Mileage Plus about my miles expiring (4/30/2015). It's offering the magazine subscription option.
I really don't need any more magazines piling up around the domicile.
What other ways can you recommend I perform some activity in my MP account? I'm not planning on any flights on UA before the end of April, lest you suggest that.

Ahh. Here is a thread which seems to answer it.

Last edited by pudgym29; Nov 25, 2014 at 5:54 pm Reason: Found responsive thread.
Old Nov 25, 2014, 7:43 pm

Programs: AS 75K; UA 1MM; Hyatt Globalist; Marriott LTP; Hilton Diamond (Aspire)
Originally Posted by JVPhoto
Correct...you just have to get across the pond on UA and then you can still fly into IST in J for the same price as if it were just the UA flight. If you want to do a stop over you'll have to call in and have them book so check your dates that there is also the EU-Turkey flight.

BRU, FRA, LHR are probably your best options in terms of hubs.
I would add MUC, AMS, or CDG. Basically any continental destination that's serviced from ORD, since TK services them all.

And note that it may take an extra stop to get to IST. For example, returning from IST this spring, I had to route through BUD to get to FRA. IST-BUD on TK then BUD-FRA on LH. There are worse things in life than an 18 hour connection in Budapest!

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.