Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

Have a Simple Question About United Airlines/MileagePlus? Ask Here [2014 Thread]...

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old May 3, 2014, 8:59 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: WineCountryUA
A new thread has been started for 2015; please see: Have a Simple Question About United Airlines/MileagePlus? Ask Here [2015 Thread]

Welcome to this thread to ask your basic, simple questions about United Airlines, its operations, or the MileagePlus program. We know that the airline is complex and we’ve created this thread for new and veteran members to ask those basic questions about United Airlines that you think must have an easy answer but just can’t find it or aren’t sure where to look.

These are the two rules for this thread:
1) Use this thread for a simple, basic question. Moderators may move posts to other threads if the question deserves its own thread.

2) Any member who can post a constructive, patient answer is welcome to reply.

Additional tools for members seeking information about MileagePlus:
United MileagePlus Master Wiki

"New" United Airlines Forum Glossary
Print Wikipost

Have a Simple Question About United Airlines/MileagePlus? Ask Here [2014 Thread]...

Search this Thread

Old Oct 23, 2014, 12:26 am

Programs: UA, Marriott, Hilton
Hi,

2 GPU questions:

- Can GPU be applied successfully on a flight operated on codeshare? eg: NRT-> CGK operated by ANA, booked on UA website?

- Can GPU be applied on flights booked with miles?

TIA!
Old Oct 23, 2014, 12:31 am
Moderator: United Airlines

Programs: UA Plat 1.995MM, Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott Plat/LT Gold, Hilton Silver, IHG Plat
Originally Posted by buttking
- Can GPU be applied successfully on a flight operated on codeshare? eg: NRT-> CGK operated by ANA, booked on UA website?

- Can GPU be applied on flights booked with miles? ....
no & no (only by GS)

See Global Premier Upgrades
and
http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/unite...read-wiki.html
Old Oct 23, 2014, 12:48 am

Programs: UA Mileage Plus, Amtrak Guest Rewards
Change itinerary after the first segment is flown

Is it possible to change your itinerary after the first segment is flown?

Example: We are going to China to adopt. When we book, we will have a "tentative" date we will be permitted to leave and of course we will give ourselves a few extra days, but the unforeseen could delay us.

What will our options be if our return is delayed once we are already over there? While we would prefer a non-refundable ticket to save a few dollars, will a flexible ticket protect us?
Old Oct 23, 2014, 1:09 am

Programs: UA Plat 1.995MM, Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott Plat/LT Gold, Hilton Silver, IHG Plat
Originally Posted by phkc070408
Is it possible to change your itinerary after the first segment is flown? ....
yes

Originally Posted by phkc070408
... What will our options be if our return is delayed once we are already over there? While we would prefer a non-refundable ticket to save a few dollars, will a flexible ticket protect us?
Appears you are considering a paid ticket (versus an award).
The different ticket levels offer different change rules and costs. Even the cheapest paid fare can be changed but the costs may be higher (changed fee and maybe a fare change). Generally the costs of one change is less then the cost increase to have purchasing a no change fee fare but there is not one simple answer for all cases.
Old Oct 23, 2014, 12:23 pm

mixed award pricing

I'm trying to get my daughter from MCO to ORD so she can join us on flights to LIM (same day) but there are no saver seats mco -ord.

Does anyone know how this will price?

Standard economy mco-ord then saver business ord-lim. Less than 24 hr in ord.

Will it still be 35k or will the standard leg change the pricing? Will they even let me book this or will I have to book mco-ord separately?

This is my first time booking an award flight. This site has really been helpful for a newbie.
Old Oct 23, 2014, 12:43 pm

Originally Posted by RDC57
I'm trying to get my daughter from MCO to ORD so she can join us on flights to LIM (same day) but there are no saver seats mco -ord.

Does anyone know how this will price?

Standard economy mco-ord then saver business ord-lim. Less than 24 hr in ord.

Will it still be 35k or will the standard leg change the pricing? Will they even let me book this or will I have to book mco-ord separately?

This is my first time booking an award flight. This site has really been helpful for a newbie.
You can not mix saver / standard awards on a OW leg
So this will will be a standard award or you will need to book as two separate tickets.

As a single standard award OW it would be 45K miles.
As a standard MCO to ORD and saver ORD-LIM 25K+20K or again 45K miles.
There is a chance the standard MCO to ORD could later be changed to a saver, bring down to 32.5K. (on if saver was still available for ORD-LIM, then you might get it all for 25K)

I would book as a single standard award. Unless you want to be regularly be checking for the saver inventory to open up.

Given typical discount pricing for ORD-MCO, a paid ticket around $125 each way might be a better choice that a standard award ticket at 25K miles.
Old Oct 23, 2014, 1:28 pm

Originally Posted by WineCountryUA
You can not mix saver / standard awards on a OW leg
So this will will be a standard award or you will need to book as two separate tickets.

As a single standard award OW it would be 45K miles.
As a standard MCO to ORD and saver ORD-LIM 25K+20K or again 45K miles.
There is a chance the standard MCO to ORD could later be changed to a saver, bring down to 32.5K. (on if saver was still available for ORD-LIM, then you might get it all for 25K)

I would book as a single standard award. Unless you want to be regularly be checking for the saver inventory to open up.

Given typical discount pricing for ORD-MCO, a paid ticket around $125 each way might be a better choice that a standard award ticket at 25K miles.
Thanks, I thought that might be the case but couldn't find the answer anywhere.
I appreciate your help.
Old Oct 23, 2014, 6:14 pm

Programs: AA-5mm, AS, DL, UA Gld, IC Plat RA, SPG Gld
I may be late to the party but I just saw "As of March 1, 2015, the award miles you earn on most United and United Express® tickets will be based on your ticket price (that is, base fare plus carrier-imposed surcharges) instead of the distance you fly, so members will be rewarded for their travel spending on United. And when you have Premier® status, you’ll earn even more." ( http://mileageplusupdates.com/ ) Which begs the question that if I have Gold Status and I purchase a $950 ticket to Dubai (which I did a hour ago) I would earn under this new program about 7,600 miles instead of the 17,000+ that I am going to get next week. How is this going to effect "lifetime miles" and then the "award redemption" are the redemption miles needed going to be reduced? Thanks.
Old Oct 23, 2014, 6:17 pm

Originally Posted by doyoutravel2
I may be late to the party but I just saw "As of March 1, 2015, the award miles you earn on most United and United Express® tickets will be based on your ticket price (that is, base fare plus carrier-imposed surcharges) instead of the distance you fly, so members will be rewarded for their travel spending on United. And when you have Premier® status, you’ll earn even more." ( http://mileageplusupdates.com/ ) Which begs the question that if I have Gold Status and I purchase a $950 ticket to Dubai (which I did a hour ago) I would earn under this new program about 7,600 miles instead of the 17,000+ that I am going to get next week. How is this going to effect "lifetime miles" and then the "award redemption" are the redemption miles needed going to be reduced? Thanks.
these and many more questions are addressed in http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/unite...leageplus.html
Short answers -- nothing else is changed. MM is still BIS miles and redemption requirements are unchanged.
Old Oct 23, 2014, 6:27 pm

Programs: AA-5mm, AS, DL, UA Gld, IC Plat RA, SPG Gld
thanks for the link I will study there.
Old Oct 24, 2014, 1:02 am

Is Premier Silver worth it.

Hey everyone

So I've been contemplating this for a while but haven't found much to support either side… Is it worth going after that premier silver status by year end?

In the last 3 years I've accumulated about 250K miles with United. A little more than a year ago, I signed up for a United MilagePlus credit card and started using it as my primary card to rack up miles. I thought it was the best option since at the time I was living in Chicago. Little did I know, a few months later I would be calling Sea-Tac home base, again, and flying a lot less.

Because of my new job Its been a slow travel year. Usually I take 2 big trips a year, but this year I've only accumulated 15,500 PQM out of the required 25,000, and $1,550 PQD of the required $2,500 to qualify for Premier Silver.

The BIG QUESTION:
Is it worth going after those 9,500 miles and $950 PQD by the end of the year just to qualify for premier status? Its a trip to Europe and back... With United's 2015 milage program in mind, Is it worth having the milage plus credit, paying the $95 annual fee if i don't qualify for Premier silver?
Old Oct 24, 2014, 1:25 am

Welcome to N007
Originally Posted by N007
.... Is it worth going after that premier silver status by year end?
The BIG QUESTION:
Is it worth going after those 9,500 miles and $950 PQD by the end of the year just to qualify for premier status? Its a trip to Europe and back... With United's 2015 milage program in mind, Is it worth having the milage plus credit, paying the $95 annual fee if i don't qualify for Premier silver?
The benefits for Silver are limited. If you have the Explore card, then Silver adds E+ access (w/ companion) at check-in, a 25% RDM bonus and some decrease in award fees -- is that worth the cost of getting Silver to you?

Only E+ access is an easy one to put a price tag on -- To purchase an global E+ annual subscript for you and companion is $900 while a domestic subscript just for you is $500 or you can purchase E+ as you need it. BTW, purchased E+ access gives you access t purchase time well before Silver provides it.

Only you can decide if the cost is worth it but make sure you get the right value if you do.

http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/unite...od-silver.html might be worth a read
Old Oct 24, 2014, 5:51 am

Programs: UA 1K and MM, Marriot, Hilton
i have a flight tomorrow from DUB-FRA on Lufthansa and the FRA-SFO on United. i checked in with Lufthansa and now i have boarding passes for both legs on Lufthansa mobile passes. My United frequent flier number isn't on the pass. I will pass 1K on the flight home, will having the Lufthansa boarding pass possibly slow down the mileage credit on United? Will i be able to check in on United at T-24 of my flight from FRA-SFO and get a United mobile boarding pass?
Old Oct 24, 2014, 6:45 am

Programs: UA 1K / *G / Marriott PE / Expedia Gold+ / Hertz PC
Originally Posted by jasonp622
i have a flight tomorrow from DUB-FRA on Lufthansa and the FRA-SFO on United. i checked in with Lufthansa and now i have boarding passes for both legs on Lufthansa mobile passes. My United frequent flier number isn't on the pass. I will pass 1K on the flight home, will having the Lufthansa boarding pass possibly slow down the mileage credit on United? Will i be able to check in on United at T-24 of my flight from FRA-SFO and get a United mobile boarding pass?
Does it show *G somewhere on the BP? If so it has your MP account # attached it just doesn't show it...I don't think my recent one showed the # but it did show *G.
You are already checked in so you can't check in again just for a UA leg that's part of the trip. But you MAY be able to open the app and see a BP that auto-generates, not sure.

My LH flights took like 3.5 days to post.
Old Oct 24, 2014, 7:25 am

Programs: UA 1K and MM, Marriot, Hilton
Originally Posted by JVPhoto
Does it show *G somewhere on the BP? If so it has your MP account # attached it just doesn't show it...I don't think my recent one showed the # but it did show *G.
You are already checked in so you can't check in again just for a UA leg that's part of the trip. But you MAY be able to open the app and see a BP that auto-generates, not sure.

My LH flights took like 3.5 days to post.
yes, it says star gold. i hope it posts in 3.5 days, i have a flight Wednesday night.

If i would have waited until T-24 of the FRA-SFO flight, could i have checked in first on United or was going through Lufthansa my only option

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.