Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

Have a Simple Question About United Airlines/MileagePlus? Ask Here [2014 Thread]...

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old May 3, 2014, 8:59 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: WineCountryUA
A new thread has been started for 2015; please see: Have a Simple Question About United Airlines/MileagePlus? Ask Here [2015 Thread]

Welcome to this thread to ask your basic, simple questions about United Airlines, its operations, or the MileagePlus program. We know that the airline is complex and we’ve created this thread for new and veteran members to ask those basic questions about United Airlines that you think must have an easy answer but just can’t find it or aren’t sure where to look.

These are the two rules for this thread:
1) Use this thread for a simple, basic question. Moderators may move posts to other threads if the question deserves its own thread.

2) Any member who can post a constructive, patient answer is welcome to reply.

Additional tools for members seeking information about MileagePlus:
United MileagePlus Master Wiki

"New" United Airlines Forum Glossary
Print Wikipost

Have a Simple Question About United Airlines/MileagePlus? Ask Here [2014 Thread]...

Search this Thread

Old Jan 1, 2014, 5:09 pm

Are there any unpublicized initiatives to allow people who came close to a MP level last year, to "earn" miles in the first month of this year that would count towards status for 2014? I am at about 45,000 PQMs earned in 2013 and have a couple of trips that could earn more than 5,000 PQMS in the next month...
Old Jan 1, 2014, 5:24 pm
Moderator: United Airlines

Programs: UA Plat 1.99MM, Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott Plat/LT Gold, Hilton Silver, IHG Plat
Originally Posted by gbracegirdle
Are there any unpublicized initiatives to allow people who came close to a MP level last year, to "earn" miles in the first month of this year that would count towards status for 2014? I am at about 45,000 PQMs earned in 2013 and have a couple of trips that could earn more than 5,000 PQMS in the next month...
It is typically mid-January when, if, some buy-up opportunities are offered. Doubtful it will include counting 2014 travel. More likely a cash buy-up. Some similiar to the Premier Accelerator program that needed to be purchased in the same calendar year.

But to the original question, no one has posted anything yet.
Old Jan 1, 2014, 5:31 pm

UC members losing lounge access at PIT US Airways Club 04-30-14!

I always fly out of PIT early in the morning and like to hit the lounge for a cup of joe before my flight and to get organized after going through security!

The Club is all but empty when I’m there, I’m wondering if it is on the chopping block too?

I can live without it but I can’t see it staying open if they lose the UC members among others, but I may be wrong!

AA probably doesn’t even want to fly in and out of PIT anyway, US Airways hated PIT!
Old Jan 1, 2014, 5:48 pm
Accor Contributor Badge

Programs: AA EXP, Hyatt Globalist, *A Silver
UA Mileage Explorer card has a benefit that says that the primary card holder who is also a MileagePlus Primier member traveling on domestic MileagePlus award ticket will be eligible for complimentary Premier Upgrades on eligible United and Copa-operated flights (when available). I booked some domestic award flights before I got my UA card, are my flights still eligible for upgrades if available? Should I bring my card with me when I fly, and check the seat map, and if there are open F seats then ask to be upgraded?

Last edited by TOMFORD; Jan 1, 2014 at 5:56 pm
Old Jan 1, 2014, 6:00 pm

Programs: UA Plat 1.99MM, Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott Plat/LT Gold, Hilton Silver, IHG Plat
Originally Posted by agp423
UA Mileage Explorer card has a benefit that says that the primary card holder who is also a MileagePlus Primier member traveling on domestic MileagePlus award ticket will be eligible for complimentary Premier Upgrades on eligible United and Copa-operated flights (when available). I booked some domestic award flights before I got my UA card, are my flights still eligible for upgrades if available? ...
Should be automatic based on the fact the card is linked to your account -- performance has been spotty but seems to be getting better.
Note you will be prioritized below all those on paid fares in your status group.

http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/unite...rdholders.html
http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/unite...questions.html
http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/unite...rd-ticket.html

... Should I bring my card with me when I fly, and check the seat map, and if there are open F seats then ask to be upgraded?
You will only be upgraded when upgrade space is release and only if processed by the waitlist. Open space is no guarantee of upgrade, especially if others are higher on the waitlist.
Old Jan 1, 2014, 6:25 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by GregMM
I'd just skip the adapter, the 3rd prong should help keep the plug from falling out.
Didn't know if airplane had 2 or 3 prong plugs.
Old Jan 1, 2014, 6:45 pm

Programs: MP,MR Silver,Avis
Originally Posted by Baze
Didn't know if airplane had 2 or 3 prong plugs.
They actually accept several different forms of plugs, both US and international.

UA Mileage Explorer card has a benefit that says that the primary card holder who is also a MileagePlus Primier member traveling on domestic MileagePlus award ticket will be eligible for complimentary Premier Upgrades on eligible United and Copa-operated flights (when available). I booked some domestic award flights before I got my UA card, are my flights still eligible for upgrades if available?
Yes, you should see the CPU arrows appear on your reservations now that you have status.
Old Jan 1, 2014, 6:52 pm
Accor Contributor Badge

Programs: AA EXP, Hyatt Globalist, *A Silver
I don't see those arrows yet, but I know what you are talking about. I was approved mid Dec, just activated the card today. Maybe it will take a few more days for the system to realize?
Old Jan 1, 2014, 6:59 pm

Programs: MP,MR Silver,Avis
I don't see those arrows yet, but I know what you are talking about. I was approved mid Dec, just activated the card today. Maybe it will take a few more days for the system to realize?
Oh, you just got the Credit Card, I thought you meant you just made Premier. I don't know about that direction, I had the Credit Card first. It doesn't mention anywhere in the benefits that you need to purchase the award ticket with the card, like it does with the baggage benefit, so it should work.
Old Jan 1, 2014, 7:01 pm

Programs: PLAT -- 2.7Million
Can I have a 23-hour layover at NRT w/o it counting as my stopover on a MileagePlus ticket? (dfw-ord-nrt-bkk-sin (stopover)-pek-nrt-ord)
Old Jan 1, 2014, 7:18 pm

Originally Posted by AAJetMan
Can I have a 23-hour layover at NRT w/o it counting as my stopover on a MileagePlus ticket? (dfw-ord-nrt-bkk-sin (stopover)-pek-nrt-ord)
Award ticket? yes
Believe it is a little trickier for a paid ticket but potentially yes depending on fare rules.

UA's CoC
Stopover means a deliberate interruption of travel by the Passenger, agreed to in advance by the carrier, at a point between the place of departure and the place of destination. For International flights a Stopover will also be deemed to occur at an intermediate point from which the Passenger is not scheduled to depart on the date of arrival, but if there is no connecting departure scheduled on the date of arrival, departure on the next day within 24 hours of arrival shall not constitute a Stopover. If a portion of the routing is traveled by surface transportation, one Stopover shall be deemed to have been taken for such portion. For Domestic flights, a Stopover will also occur when a Passenger arrives at a point and fails to depart from such point on:
1) The first flight on which space is available; or
2) The flight that will provide for the Passenger’s earliest arrival at intermediate or junction transfer point(s) or destination point, via the carrier and class of service as shown on the Passenger’s Ticket; provided, however, that in no event will a Stopover occur when the Passenger departs from the intermediate/junction point on a flight shown in the carrier’s official general schedule as departing within four hours after arrival at such point.
Old Jan 1, 2014, 7:45 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

UA Mileage Explorer card has a benefit that says that the primary card holder who is also a MileagePlus Primier member traveling on domestic MileagePlus award ticket will be eligible for complimentary Premier Upgrades on eligible United and Copa-operated flights (when available). I booked some domestic award flights before I got my UA card, are my flights still eligible for upgrades if available? Should I bring my card with me when I fly, and check the seat map, and if there are open F seats then ask to be upgraded?
Do you have premier status on UA of some level? Silver, Gold, Platinum, 1K, Global Service? That is what the benefit is. If you have status on United the card makes you eligible for a CPU on an award ticket. If you just have the card but no status, then you are not eligible for CPU on your award ticket.
Old Jan 1, 2014, 10:53 pm

Programs: UA 1K, Marriott Plt, Hilton Gold, BA Silver, GE
Just going over some old notes and noticed that I have a old UA account. I will fire up my laptop tomorrow and try to access this account. Is it told late in the game for CSR to combine that old account with my current account for the sake of lifetime miles?
Old Jan 1, 2014, 10:57 pm

I am having trouble booking TK flight operated by Jet Airways.

I am currently on IST-FRA-EWR on TK/LH, but found more interesting IST-LHR-EWR on TK (Jet)/UA. Both UA/ANA show award availability with Jet Airways, but UA agents can't see it on their end. One UA agent checked the website and confirmed that availability is there, but he still can't access it.

I tried changing the flight online and was able to find Jet Airways segment, but UA segment wasn't there. Help?
Old Jan 1, 2014, 11:53 pm

Originally Posted by GDaoV
Just going over some old notes and noticed that I have a old UA account. I will fire up my laptop tomorrow and try to access this account. Is it told late in the game for CSR to combine that old account with my current account for the sake of lifetime miles?
try Merge MileagePlus Accounts

My PMUA account number still works and goes directly to my post merger account.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.