Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

Have a Simple Question About United Airlines/MileagePlus? Ask Here [2014 Thread]...

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old May 3, 2014, 8:59 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: WineCountryUA
A new thread has been started for 2015; please see: Have a Simple Question About United Airlines/MileagePlus? Ask Here [2015 Thread]

Welcome to this thread to ask your basic, simple questions about United Airlines, its operations, or the MileagePlus program. We know that the airline is complex and we’ve created this thread for new and veteran members to ask those basic questions about United Airlines that you think must have an easy answer but just can’t find it or aren’t sure where to look.

These are the two rules for this thread:
1) Use this thread for a simple, basic question. Moderators may move posts to other threads if the question deserves its own thread.

2) Any member who can post a constructive, patient answer is welcome to reply.

Additional tools for members seeking information about MileagePlus:
United MileagePlus Master Wiki

"New" United Airlines Forum Glossary
Print Wikipost

Have a Simple Question About United Airlines/MileagePlus? Ask Here [2014 Thread]...

Search this Thread

Old Aug 29, 2014, 1:11 pm
FTA

Are the sign up bonus miles forfitted if the credit card is cancelled before using the miles? Thanks
Old Aug 29, 2014, 1:14 pm
RNE

Originally Posted by FTA
Are the sign up bonus miles forfitted if the credit card is cancelled before using the miles? Thanks
Once the miles are in your MP account they are safe from Card Company clawback.
Old Aug 29, 2014, 1:14 pm
Moderator: United Airlines

Programs: UA Plat 1.995MM, Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott Plat/LT Gold, Hilton Silver, IHG Plat
Originally Posted by FTA
Typically there is a minimal activation period -- say 6 months to as much as 1 year, to avoid Chase clawing back the miles. It is buried in the T&Cs of the promo / card agreement.
Old Aug 29, 2014, 1:17 pm
RNE

Originally Posted by WineCountryUA
Typically there is a minimal activation period -- say 6 months to as much as 1 year, to avoid Chase clawing back the miles. It is buried in the T&Cs of the promo / card agreement.
Any recent and reliable reports of a clawback actually happening?
Old Aug 29, 2014, 1:18 pm
FTA

Thanks RNE! What exactly is inactivity? No United related purchasing activity or no purchase activity of any amount/kind (pop at Walmart)?
Old Aug 29, 2014, 1:27 pm
RNE

Originally Posted by FTA
Thanks RNE!
It is unwise to disagree with WineCountryUA, so let me claw back my statement. As a practical matter, there's rarely any reason to cancel a card shortly after getting a bonus because you have quite a while before an annual fee becomes due. So while I still maintain the Bank will not claw back your bonus miles, there's no reason to yank its chain.
Old Aug 29, 2014, 1:39 pm
FTA

Unfortunately I won't be able to take a trip before my membership is due
Old Aug 29, 2014, 1:41 pm

Programs: UA Plat 1.995MM, Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott Plat/LT Gold, Hilton Silver, IHG Plat
Originally Posted by RNE
Any recent and reliable reports of a clawback actually happening?
Agree it is unnecessary to even challenge the clawback T&Cs, even thought it is unlikely to happen -- but it has happen and seem best not to press the point. No one can guarantee it will not happen, the T&Cs are there, why take the risk?

http://viewfromthewing.boardingarea....a-credit-card/ for one point of view

http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/credi...-programs-599/ results are mixed

Originally Posted by FTA
Unfortunately I won't be able to take a trip before my membership is due
If you have had the card for a year --- absolutely no problem
Old Aug 29, 2014, 2:44 pm

Programs: UA 1K (Million Miler). AA Gold (lifetime 1 Million). TK Elite Gold
# of allowed segments on award ticket

I could not find the current answer to this (if I missed it, I beg forgiveness):

I am planning a trip from PHL to CGK with open jaw departing from DPS; I would like to make a stopover in NRT, with a <24 hour stop in HNL. I tried to online booking system without success. I am 1K; should I waste my time trying this itinerary (I have all flight numbers and dates and there appears to be availability in economy for all flights). Travel dates are flexible in mid/late October 2014. Thanks to all for any suggestions.
Old Aug 29, 2014, 3:04 pm

Originally Posted by cagcag
I could not find the current answer to this (if I missed it, I beg forgiveness):

I am planning a trip from PHL to CGK with open jaw departing from DPS; I would like to make a stopover in NRT, with a <24 hour stop in HNL. I tried to online booking system without success. I am 1K; should I waste my time trying this itinerary (I have all flight numbers and dates and there appears to be availability in economy for all flights). Travel dates are flexible in mid/late October 2014. Thanks to all for any suggestions.
As described appears OK. Not uncommon for website to fail on complex itins. You will need to call.
Old Aug 29, 2014, 3:41 pm

Programs: UA 1K (Million Miler). AA Gold (lifetime 1 Million). TK Elite Gold
Originally Posted by WineCountryUA
As described appears OK. Not uncommon for website to fail on complex itins. You will need to call.
WineCountryUA , thanks for your prompt reply
Old Aug 29, 2014, 4:29 pm
FTA

Thanks WineCountryUA!
Old Aug 29, 2014, 7:16 pm

Programs: United Gold
I have a 6 hour layover at EWR on an upcoming HNL-EWR-CDG trip. I wanted to take a shower at EWR. Are the showers there OK or are they completely gross?
Old Aug 29, 2014, 7:22 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by love_to_travel
I have a 6 hour layover at EWR on an upcoming HNL-EWR-CDG trip. I wanted to take a shower at EWR. Are the showers there OK or are they completely gross?
One persons gross is another persons acceptable. What is your definition of gross?
Old Aug 29, 2014, 7:47 pm

Programs: UA 1k, SPG Plat 100
Is BOG CPU eligible? CPU chart says no, but I know some things differ b/t northern and southern south america.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.