Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

Have a Simple Question About United Airlines/MileagePlus? Ask Here [2014 Thread]...

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old May 3, 2014, 8:59 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: WineCountryUA
A new thread has been started for 2015; please see: Have a Simple Question About United Airlines/MileagePlus? Ask Here [2015 Thread]

Welcome to this thread to ask your basic, simple questions about United Airlines, its operations, or the MileagePlus program. We know that the airline is complex and we’ve created this thread for new and veteran members to ask those basic questions about United Airlines that you think must have an easy answer but just can’t find it or aren’t sure where to look.

These are the two rules for this thread:
1) Use this thread for a simple, basic question. Moderators may move posts to other threads if the question deserves its own thread.

2) Any member who can post a constructive, patient answer is welcome to reply.

Additional tools for members seeking information about MileagePlus:
United MileagePlus Master Wiki

"New" United Airlines Forum Glossary
Print Wikipost

Have a Simple Question About United Airlines/MileagePlus? Ask Here [2014 Thread]...

Search this Thread

Old Jul 26, 2014, 12:04 am
Moderator: United Airlines

Programs: UA Plat 1.995MM, Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott Plat/LT Gold, Hilton Silver, IHG Plat
Originally Posted by TennisNoob
.... 99% you will clear on the list, too many flights go into IAH-LAX a day. ....
I would not count on waitlisted IN/I segment clearing -- many agents don't even know how to process IN/I waitlist as many have found out

http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/unite...-clearing.html
http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/unite...requested.html
Old Jul 26, 2014, 2:07 am
Moderator: Budget Travel forum & Credit Card Programs, FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA lifetime MM / *A Gold
Originally Posted by TennisNoob
99% you will clear on the list, too many flights go into IAH-LAX a day.

Unless you're just too lucky.......
Unless your flight is on a widebody, IME, if you didn't find a FC seat at booking on domestic portion, you will sit in coach.

Which IMHO, is no big deal as long as the int'l portion is in Biz And with int'l Biz, you can use a lounge at LAX and/or IAH.
Old Jul 26, 2014, 7:34 am

Programs: MileagePlus 1K, HHonors Diamond, Marriott Titanium/Lifetime Plat
Originally Posted by EmailKid
Unless your flight is on a widebody, IME, if you didn't find a FC seat at booking on domestic portion, you will sit in coach.

Which IMHO, is no big deal as long as the int'l portion is in Biz And with int'l Biz, you can use a lounge at LAX and/or IAH.
That's what I thought. Thanks, everyone, for replying.
Old Jul 26, 2014, 8:10 am
RNE

Originally Posted by NJFlyer42
This is likely to prevent embezzlement.
Doesn't prevent embezzlement at all. It requires collusion to commit embezzlement.
Old Jul 26, 2014, 8:33 am

Programs: Hilton Honors, MileagePlus, Marriot
PQD & PQM in case of United Flight Delayed Transferred to US Airways

Hello...I am United Premier 1K member and booked roundtrip ticket BDL - DFW through United.com. Going in was not an issue and they credited 25% of total fare to my united PQD and the miles flown. On the way back there was a maintenance issue with the flight and they routed my return trip through US airways. Would I still be able to get the PQD & PQM for return trip . What do I need to get the PQD & PQM.

Also my flight on way back was delayed 8 hrs and my bag delayed 48 hrs? Will United provide any compensation or miles? Thanks in advance for the guidance
Old Jul 26, 2014, 10:35 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: DREAD Gold; UA 1.035MM; Bonvoy Au-197; PCC Elite+; CCC Elite+; MSC C-12; CWC Au-197; WoH Dis
Originally Posted by flyer789
What do I need to get the PQD & PQM.
Contact United and ask for "original routing credit".
Old Jul 26, 2014, 10:45 am

Yay! I managed to snag a BC for my LAX LHR for 500$ at checkin!

Here's a question though: I had checked before and during my upgrade the fare classes with United expert and everywhere it says R0. I did manage to upgrade paying.

I thought R0 meant, no upgrades available, what gives?
Old Jul 26, 2014, 11:08 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K, Marriott Plat, Hilton Diamond, Hertz PC
Originally Posted by maq0r

Here's a question though: I had checked before and during my upgrade the fare classes with United expert and everywhere it says R0. I did manage to upgrade paying.

What was your final fare class? What was your original one?
Old Jul 26, 2014, 11:12 am

Programs: DREAD Gold; UA 1.035MM; Bonvoy Au-197; PCC Elite+; CCC Elite+; MSC C-12; CWC Au-197; WoH Dis
R is used for instrument-supported upgrades. Cash upgrades come directly from revenue buckets or JN/PN.
Old Jul 26, 2014, 11:14 am
Moderator: United Airlines

Programs: UA Plat 1.995MM, Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott Plat/LT Gold, Hilton Silver, IHG Plat

You got an upgrade for cash (UFC) and that does not require R inventory. The new UA has an much more elaborate process of selling / upgrading premium cabins, so there is no simple single visible upgrade inventory class.

http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/unite...-upgrades.html
Old Jul 26, 2014, 12:39 pm

Programs: Marriott Plat, Hyatt Globalist, DL Plat, UA Silver
Originally Posted by EmailKid
I've never had any failures on the upgrade waitlist.

All my flights connecting from SFO back to IAH are on 737's or a320's.

I just call them every-time in advanced to make sure I'm on the wait list.

Most of the time, UA process's the upgrade weeks before departure.

All during the summer time.
Old Jul 26, 2014, 3:17 pm

Programs: AA Ex Plt
Flydubai connection

So I just booked a flight to BEY on .bomb flying UA and flydubai and have a checked bag question. I probably won't check bags outbound but it looks like I might on the way home. Either way, do I need to collect bags in DXB and recheck? (flydubai website seems to say that I need to recheck in DXB - not clear)

Last edited by thegrailer; Jul 28, 2014 at 7:33 am
Old Jul 26, 2014, 7:23 pm

Programs: UA Gold, Hyatt Diamond, Marriott Gold
For mom's 75th birthday, we're going to Sweden. She lives in AZ so she flies PHX-EWR, then we both fly EWR-ARN. I currently have silver status. After an upcoming trip, if I were to use flex PQMs, I could hit gold status. If I don't do that, I'll hit gold status after the Sweden trip.

If mom and I were on the same reservation, I'd do the flex PQM thing because it would be nice to be able to snag a couple of E+ seats and to avoid mom getting hit with the checked bag charge if she brings a second bag.

Given our plan, is there any way to get those benefits? Also, I note that the premier benefits page says that E+ is available at the time of booking for gold. Am I correct to assume that if I become gold while the reservation exists, the E+ seats will become freely available?

All tickets were bought with my Chase Pres Plus card if that matters.

Last edited by salex; Jul 26, 2014 at 7:24 pm Reason: typos
Old Jul 26, 2014, 7:48 pm

Originally Posted by salex
Given our plan, is there any way to get those benefits?
Your mom would get nothine on the PHX-EWR segment, since you're not even considered companions at that point. For EWR-ARN, she would benefit on whatever E+ benefit you get. The extra baggage allowance also generally only works if you're on the same PNR, so you mom wouldn't get an additional bag on the return flight either (unless you find a sympathetic agent).

Originally Posted by salex
Am I correct to assume that if I become gold while the reservation exists, the E+ seats will become freely available?
Yes.
Old Jul 26, 2014, 7:57 pm

Programs: UA Gold, Hyatt Diamond, Marriott Gold
Thanks for the very quick response.

E+ on EWR-ARN and back would be pretty useful. Will that automatically become available or, since we're on different PNRs, would I need to discuss that with someone?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.