Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

Have a Simple Question About United Airlines/MileagePlus? Ask Here [2014 Thread]...

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old May 3, 2014, 8:59 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: WineCountryUA
A new thread has been started for 2015; please see: Have a Simple Question About United Airlines/MileagePlus? Ask Here [2015 Thread]

Welcome to this thread to ask your basic, simple questions about United Airlines, its operations, or the MileagePlus program. We know that the airline is complex and we’ve created this thread for new and veteran members to ask those basic questions about United Airlines that you think must have an easy answer but just can’t find it or aren’t sure where to look.

These are the two rules for this thread:
1) Use this thread for a simple, basic question. Moderators may move posts to other threads if the question deserves its own thread.

2) Any member who can post a constructive, patient answer is welcome to reply.

Additional tools for members seeking information about MileagePlus:
United MileagePlus Master Wiki

"New" United Airlines Forum Glossary
Print Wikipost

Have a Simple Question About United Airlines/MileagePlus? Ask Here [2014 Thread]...

Search this Thread

Old Jul 23, 2014, 7:31 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Originally Posted by JamieDee78
If I don't plan to use these two free day passes, are they sell-able on ebay, etc?
Sure, if you ignore the text on the back of them which clearly states they cannot be sold, bartered, traded or otherwise exchanged for any sort of remuneration.
Old Jul 24, 2014, 12:21 am

Purchase ticket for friend/family

I notice that there is a stiff fee for transferring miles to a friend or family member (must cost a lot for the database to move a few numbers around).

Can I just redeem miles for friend or family without incurring a big charge?

Thanks.
Old Jul 24, 2014, 12:31 am
Moderator: United Airlines

Programs: UA Plat 1.995MM, Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott Plat/LT Gold, Hilton Silver, IHG Plat
Originally Posted by agrater
I notice that there is a stiff fee for transferring miles to a friend or family member (must cost a lot for the database to move a few numbers around).

Can I just redeem miles for friend or family without incurring a big charge? ....
yes and that is the preferred approach. If you have any elite status it will be inherited by anyone using your miles.
Old Jul 24, 2014, 8:41 am

Programs: UA 1K, Marriott Gold, SPG Gold, Sixt Gold
I have an upcoming flight to Helsinki where I made somewhat of a bonehead move and didn't check R/RN availability before booking. My current flight is booked as a U fare, and I've requested a Cash + Miles upgrade that was immediately waitlisted.

I've found a flight that I can change, also at a U fare (disregard the Q reference in the photo -- was just for search purposes), that is showing R8/RN8. If I were to make this change, would my upgrade request follow with the change and clear on the new itinerary?

Itineraries in the link: http://imgur.com/a/Jv01q

Thanks!
Old Jul 24, 2014, 9:46 am

Programs: UA Gold, Marriott Gold, AA, DL
Is there a method by which I can use two different payment methods (specifically, two credit cards) for an upgrade award copay? I see no way to do this online but suspect a phone agent might be able to process it.
Old Jul 24, 2014, 10:37 am

Programs: UA Plat 1.995MM, Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott Plat/LT Gold, Hilton Silver, IHG Plat
Originally Posted by keoughma
I have an upcoming flight to Helsinki where I made somewhat of a bonehead move and didn't check R/RN availability before booking. My current flight is booked as a U fare, and I've requested a Cash + Miles upgrade that was immediately waitlisted.

I've found a flight that I can change, also at a U fare (disregard the Q reference in the photo -- was just for search purposes), that is showing R8/RN8. If I were to make this change, would my upgrade request follow with the change and clear on the new itinerary? .....
No the upgrade request would not automatic be applied but an agent could easily transfer the request. And if R>0, then it should clear immediately. There will be a change fee per the fare rules.

Originally Posted by DeterminedToUpgrade
Is there a method by which I can use two different payment methods (specifically, two credit cards) for an upgrade award copay? I see no way to do this online but suspect a phone agent might be able to process it.
Generally only 1 form of payment can be accepted. A workaround (and not sure this will work for copays) since a gift certificate came be used with a credit card is to purchase a gift certificate with one and pay the reminder with the second.
Old Jul 24, 2014, 4:06 pm

UA website issues?

Anyone experiencing United.com website issues? I am not able login with my MileagePlus number and PIN but username and PIN works though it doesn't show any Mileage balance (shows 0) nor any activity including reservations made. I can lookup reservation using my PNR they are unaffected.
Old Jul 24, 2014, 4:10 pm
Senior Moderator
Original Poster

Programs: UA Plat/2MM [23-yr. 1K, now emeritus] clawing way back to WN-A List; MR LT Titanium; HY Whateverist.
pbnair, this problem has been reported recently and has affected some users.

See this thread for more details: http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/unite...not-found.html
Old Jul 24, 2014, 4:11 pm

Programs: Marriott LT Titanium; Mileage Plus 1K, 1 MM; Global Entry
Originally Posted by pbnair
Anyone experiencing United.com website issues? I am not able login with my MileagePlus number and PIN but username and PIN works though it doesn't show any Mileage balance (shows 0) nor any activity including reservations made. I can lookup reservation using my PNR they are unaffected.
Just checked my account and all the balances are correct. Was able to check flight status on tomorrow's flight. Everything looks fine.
Old Jul 24, 2014, 5:00 pm

Programs: UA: Premier Gold
Need Help Regarding United Award Saver Seats

Forgive me in advance if posting in the wrong section.

Currently in Belgium and was wondering what might be the probability that United opens some saver award seats two to three days before a planned departure?
In a nutshell, I'm looking for some help regarding United Saver Award availability on any flights from BRU to SFO (1,2, or more stops not a problem). Looking to leave BRU this Sunday (7/27) and have +- one day of departure wiggle room. Any assistance appreciated. Hoping to get a 30k + $87 fee seat. Currently, I can only find 65k + $116 fee seats. Any suggestions welcomed.

Thanks in advance for your help.
Old Jul 24, 2014, 6:33 pm

Originally Posted by Triestino
.... Currently in Belgium and was wondering what might be the probability that United opens some saver award seats two to three days before a planned departure? ...
There is no simple answer to this.
Is there a chance, yes
Is it guaranteed, nope

This is peak TATL season and most planes are very full.

Appears to be some availability for Friday (7/25) 2-stops, none for the weekend or early next week -- will more open up in the next day or so -- as some said my crystal ball is cloudy.

BTW, the saver seat on Friday was 30K miles and $137.
Old Jul 25, 2014, 4:57 pm

Received a reimbursement check from UA for a hotel room. Anyone have any idea why both Jeff and John Raineys signatures are on the check?

Last edited by Brattflyer; Jul 25, 2014 at 5:22 pm
Old Jul 25, 2014, 8:15 pm

Originally Posted by Brattflyer
Received a reimbursement check from UA for a hotel room. Anyone have any idea why both Jeff and John Raineys signatures are on the check?
This is likely to prevent embezzlement.
Old Jul 25, 2014, 11:43 pm

Programs: MileagePlus 1K, HHonors Diamond, Marriott Titanium/Lifetime Plat
Booking a Saver Award on UA in Business but only coach available

Hi - quick question. I am looking to book IAH-LAX (UA) connecting to LAX-ICN (OZ) in Business for 80K miles. IAH-LAX is not available in business but only in coach. If I don't clear the IAH-LAX segment from the waitlist at the airport, will I receive any portion of the 80K redeemed miles as a refund or no? Thank you.
Old Jul 25, 2014, 11:53 pm

Programs: Marriott Plat, Hyatt Globalist, DL Plat, UA Silver
Originally Posted by vdostoi1
Hi - quick question. I am looking to book IAH-LAX (UA) connecting to LAX-ICN (OZ) in Business for 80K miles. IAH-LAX is not available in business but only in coach. If I don't clear the IAH-LAX segment from the waitlist at the airport, will I receive any portion of the 80K redeemed miles as a refund or no? Thank you.
Nope

You have to think of it as IAH-LAX was free anyways because one redeeming from LAX-ICN would pay the same you paid

99% you will clear on the list, too many flights go into IAH-LAX a day.

Unless you're just too lucky.......

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.