Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

2014 Let's Eat - International GlobalFirst, BusinessFirst, & Business Class

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Dec 31, 2013, 10:17 pm
Original Poster

Programs: UA 1.6MM

This thead is ONLY for:
International GlobalFirst, BusinessFirst, & Business Class
Domestic Business & First Class
International & Domestic Economy Class
This thread should have the International First, BusinessFirst, & Business Class meal information.

International is defined as flights to/from the USA (states and territories), excluding Canada and select Latin America destinations.

Don't forget to post the date and route information along with the meal information!

For the curious folks, the 2013 thread is here:
http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/unite...ess-class.html

With that, Let's Eat 2014!
Old Dec 31, 2013, 10:20 pm
Original Poster

Programs: UA 1.6MM
reserved
Old Jan 1, 2014, 10:10 am

Programs: United Premier 1K 1MM; AA Plat Pro; Hyatt Globalist; Marriott Platinum; Avis President's Club
UA 982
IAD-KWI
BusinessFirst
Boeing 777 - pmUA config

TO BEGIN

Chilled Appetizer
Black halibut with salmon and sesame-coated tuna with wasabi mayonnaise

Fresh Seasonal Greens
Tomatoes, Kalamata olives, Parmesan cheese and croutons with your choice of Parmesan-pepper dressing or roasted garlic red wine vinaigrette

MAIN COURSE

Tenderloin of Beef
Delmonico's steak sauce, rosti potatoes, fine green beans and roasted tomatoes

Newburg-style Seafood
Fillet of turbot and shrimp with a creamy lobster sauce, green lentils and mixed vegetables

Vegetable-filled Mezzaluna Pasta
Pomodoro sauce and zucchini and Parmesan cheese

Lamb Korma (didn't load the lamb but had chicken korma...everything the same just chicken)
Basmati rice, spinach with garbanzo beans, curried lentils, yogurt and pickled vegetables (Halal prepared meal)

TO FINISH

International Cheese Selection
Grapes and crackers served with port

Dessert
Ice cream with your choice of toppings

MID-FLIGHT SNACK

Assorted Sandwiches
Sun-dried tomato-basil tortilla wrap with turkey and cheddar
Hummus and pepper jack cheese

PRIOR TO ARRIVAL

Herbed Scrambled Eggs
Potato gratin and turkey sausage

Cereal and Banana
Served with milk

Fresh fruit appetizer, yogurt and breakfast breads

The beverage and champagne lists are the same as listed below. I would note that none of the listed champagne was on our flight. We had Pommery as the option. I also think the only wine loaded that was on the list was the Old World fume. The food was OK but presentation not so good and proportions seemed smaller than in previous years. I'm also concerned that catering of the wines and champagnes is NOT consistent with what's listed on the menus. We had this problem on our return flight as well.

Last edited by mh3265a; Jan 10, 2014 at 1:41 pm
Old Jan 1, 2014, 10:11 am

Programs: United Premier 1K 1MM; AA Plat Pro; Hyatt Globalist; Marriott Platinum; Avis President's Club
UA 982
KWI-BAH
BusinessFirst
Boeing 777 - pmUA config

Beverage of choice (except liquor/wine/champagne) before and after take-off

Small cocktail sandwiches. One was cream cheese and cucumber on white bun. The other was chicken salad with curry on white bun.

Overall quick flight (about 45 mins in the air) with a great crew!

Last edited by mh3265a; Jan 10, 2014 at 1:48 pm
Old Jan 3, 2014, 3:53 am

Programs: UA 1K
The BusinessFirst wine list has returned

If you were reading the BusinessFirst menus closely at the end of 2013 you may have noticed a sad, blank page where there used to be a list of "wines available on this flight".

The Jan 2014 BusinessFirst menu (at least for IAH-LHR) no longer has this deficiency. Instead there are FOUR PAGES of wine!

But the parameters have changed a little.

The old one-page list was "here are the wines that are probably on your flight, please ask a flight attendant to confirm" and sometimes there were deviations or they listed e.g. 2 kinds of white and only one was loaded.

The new four-page list appears to be "here are all the wines that might possibly be on any BusinessFirst flight in markets like this, so please ask a flight attendant which ones you're actually getting", and even then there were deviations (e.g. the champagne we were served on IAH-LHR was not any of the three products listed).

Nice to see that Doug Frost is keeping up the good work.

Photographed with, basically, a potato:

Old Jan 3, 2014, 8:51 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

we did iad-nrt-iad in global first last month. there were only 7 wines each way. 3 white,3red, and a bubble. none were over $20 dc shelf price. nothing special at all. really, nothing special. the wines in the GF lounge were, again $20 wines. the wines in the ANA first class lounge were $50 wines. we have done about a dozen TATL in biz. the wines there were better, and the selection much larger. guess i should have moved to the back of the plane to see what was being served in biz class.
Old Jan 3, 2014, 9:05 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Amethyst Premier Plutonium Medallion
for the purposes of what we can expect for breakfast and lunch meal servings, are flights including IAD-STT and SJU-IAH (which are marketed as United Business) considered domestic or international?
Old Jan 3, 2014, 11:40 am

Programs: UA 1K 1MM / AA PP, Marriott Lifetime Gold
Originally Posted by PV_Premier
for the purposes of what we can expect for breakfast and lunch meal servings, are flights including IAD-STT and SJU-IAH (which are marketed as United Business) considered domestic or international?
domestic.
Old Jan 3, 2014, 11:51 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AS 75K; UA 1MM; Hyatt Globalist; Marriott LTP; Hilton Diamond (Aspire)
UA869 SFO-HKG 12/31 - BF Menu:

I was pretty stoked when I saw this, as there were a number of items I hadn't seen before and they sounded pretty good.

The appetizer was decent, a large prawn wrapped in smoked salmon. I had the noodle entree. It was disappointing. Just a small bowl of noodles, with no side. Served lukewarm. Service in general on this flight was poor. FAs pulled the disappear into the galley act after dinner. So it's not just the sCO crews who do that.

Originally Posted by PV_Premier
They treat the SJU flights as international business (but not BF) so you will get an upgraded meal service. On my recent SJU flights that meant the cereal/omelette choice for breakfast and a steak/something else choice for lunch.

Last edited by Kacee; Jan 3, 2014 at 12:05 pm
Old Jan 3, 2014, 1:20 pm

Programs: UA 1P MM, AA-PP, AS, DL, HH G, SPG Gold, TA nada
Originally Posted by Kacee

They treat the SJU flights as international business (but not BF) so you will get an upgraded meal service. On my recent SJU flights that meant the cereal/omelette choice for breakfast and a steak/something else choice for lunch.
I am not so sure. I do SJU-IAH frequently and have never noticed any "upgraded" meal service. Flight last month was the disgusting Onion Soup and Beef Barferrito, same as a mid-con domestic flight. I think SJU is double catered and also considered a "leisure" destination.
Old Jan 3, 2014, 1:25 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AS 75K; UA 1MM; Hyatt Globalist; Marriott LTP; Hilton Diamond (Aspire)
Originally Posted by zoegksf
I am not so sure. I do SJU-IAH frequently and have never noticed any "upgraded" meal service. Flight last month was the disgusting Onion Soup and Beef Barferrito, same as a mid-con domestic flight. I think SJU is double catered and also considered a "leisure" destination.
Then I guess it's YMMV. On my recent SJU flights the meals were the same you would see IAH-PTY.
Old Jan 3, 2014, 2:31 pm

Programs: UA-1K, MM, Hilton-Diamond, Marriott-Titanium
Haven't flown UA in J TATL since July. Came home on LHR-EWR on 1/1. We had a choice of ONE appetizer. If you didn't like Salmon you were SOL. They also ran out of the Pasta main course when they got to me and I am a 1K. Guess they didn't take orders by Elite status.

What happened to the choice of appetizers and soup?

Maybe I was a little spoiled as we did LH F over to Europe....
Old Jan 3, 2014, 2:41 pm

Programs: UA 1K, Hilton Gold, Marriott Gold, SPG Gold, Hertz PC
Soup in J? And I thought the appetizer was either salmon or shrimp.
Old Jan 3, 2014, 2:43 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K MM, AA EXP, Hyatt Globalist
Originally Posted by BayAreaTraveler
Soup in J? And I thought the appetizer was either salmon or shrimp.
From the PMCO days...
Old Jan 3, 2014, 2:48 pm

Programs: United Premier 1K; Alaska MVP 75K; Hilton Honors Diamond; Hertz Pres Circle
Originally Posted by MatthewLAX
From the PMCO days...
A teaspoon-full of soup and a selection of hot appetizers are now the distinctive catering features of GF.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.