Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

2014 Let's Eat - International GlobalFirst, BusinessFirst, & Business Class

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

2014 Let's Eat - International GlobalFirst, BusinessFirst, & Business Class

Search this Thread

Old Oct 16, 2014, 1:05 pm

Programs: UA 1K / *G / Marriott PE / Expedia Gold+ / Hertz PC
Originally Posted by ssh
Just arrived LAX. The short answer is, "'Lunch' means 'dinner'." Hilarious. Exact same menu as the dinner on the way to Sydney 2 weeks ago.
Yah "lunch" is usually "dinner" on any long haul flights. I think the only time it really differs is for domestic tcons.
Old Oct 18, 2014, 11:47 am

Programs: Platinum
Originally Posted by JVPhoto
A nice sausage roll, mini meat pie, Tim Tams and some Ribena to wash it down.
Mmmmm Tim Tams......
Old Oct 18, 2014, 2:24 pm

Programs: NEXUS, UA Club
Originally Posted by frankmu
Mmmmm Tim Tams......
LOVE Tim Tams. I was shocked to see them at Walmart once - I bought all of them!!!
Old Oct 18, 2014, 2:26 pm

Tim Tams aren't bad but my favorite are the Happy Hippos from Kinder (Germany) where I can buy the whole box of 6 for like E1.50 and at my deli in NY they are $1.50 EACH.
Old Oct 20, 2014, 3:52 pm

Programs: AA - Plat
Just flew ORD-AMS in Global First and was not impressed. The privacy of the cabin was nice (767-300) but the food was bland and uninteresting (some sort of bbq chicken with white rice) and the kit was dated and skimpy. Does UA really think they can compete in this market?
Old Oct 20, 2014, 5:58 pm

Originally Posted by drewnyc
Just flew ORD-AMS in Global First and was not impressed. The privacy of the cabin was nice (767-300) but the food was bland and uninteresting (some sort of bbq chicken with white rice) and the kit was dated and skimpy. Does UA really think they can compete in this market?
What other airline flies 3 cabin First nonstop from Chicago to Amsterdam.

That's your competitive set.

People spending full fare aren't going to take a connection just to experience a better First product on part of the trip if a nonstop with lie-flats is available.

UA might lose some connectors, but reality is the big spenders aren't spending much time in non-core cities unless they work for a European corporate with facilities in smaller cities that require connecting within the US.
Old Oct 20, 2014, 6:26 pm

Sounds like the spiced rubbed chicken with faux kimchee I like that dish but it should be lentils not rice.
Old Oct 21, 2014, 1:28 pm

Programs: UA Silver, Marriott Platinum/LT Platinum, Hilton Gold
Question on UA126 (IAD-DUB)

I searched and didn't find anything specific on this. I'm booked in BF on UA126, which leaves IAD at 10:15 pm. I've never had a TATL departure that late. The reservation says Dinner on this flight, but is that correct? It wouldn't be served until after 11:00 ET. Is it really the full dinner service?

I originate in ORD at 6 pm and have a fairly tight connection at IAD if there are any delays, so trying to figure out if I need to feed myself somewhere along the way. Which I may do anyway if its the full dinner service, as I might rather sleep.

Another option I'd be ok with would be to grab a snack for the ORD-IAD flight if there's breakfast service on the DUB flight. Same question, is the normal BF breakfast served?

Sorry for the noob questions, all my TATL flights until this one have been ORD-EU, connect in EU. Any information or suggestions from others who've taken this specific flight would be helpful!
Old Oct 21, 2014, 1:34 pm

Full

Full Dinner
Old Oct 21, 2014, 2:15 pm
Suspended

Programs: UA 1K 1.8MM, Hertz PC, Marriott Platinum/Lifetime Gold
Originally Posted by trk1
Full Dinner
and breakfast.
Taken this flight many times.
I get on the plane and just go to sleep.
Flight leaves 2230 and usually arrives 1025 (0525ET) ... it's usually six-hours or thereabouts ... I reckon on getting about five hours of zzzzs
Old Oct 21, 2014, 2:22 pm

Originally Posted by UAPremExecflyer
and breakfast.
Taken this flight many times.
I get on the plane and just go to sleep.
Flight leaves 2230 and usually arrives 1025 (0525ET) ... it's usually six-hours or thereabouts ... I reckon on getting about five hours of zzzzs
Thanks. I need to think this one through. I'm not someone who can sleep any time, any place, and my body will be on central time. But at least I have the data to make the decision. I'm leaning toward your approach...maybe I'll just wake up at 5 am that morning so I'm ready to sleep!
Old Oct 21, 2014, 2:27 pm

Programs: Marriott Lifetime Titanium.;UA 1.5MM; UA Lifetime Gold (whoppee); DL Plat
Originally Posted by JBord
Thanks. I need to think this one through. I'm not someone who can sleep any time, any place, and my body will be on central time. But at least I have the data to make the decision. I'm leaning toward your approach...maybe I'll just wake up at 5 am that morning so I'm ready to sleep!
Eat before the flight; Ambien or a melatonin to sleep. Also, recommend a product called 'No Jet Lag."(Amazon has it) have used it many times and suffer from minimal jet lag, if any at all, and I travel 10-15 times a year either TATL or TPAC
Old Oct 21, 2014, 2:45 pm

Originally Posted by boss315
Eat before the flight; Ambien or a melatonin to sleep. Also, recommend a product called 'No Jet Lag."(Amazon has it) have used it many times and suffer from minimal jet lag, if any at all, and I travel 10-15 times a year either TATL or TPAC
Thanks for the tip. I do TATL a few times a year so I have my routine, which usually involves a cheap scotch and a bad movie ...I can normally get a decent 4-5 hours of sleep from ORD-FRA/MUC/BRU. But I'm definitely leaning toward eating before the flight given the late departure and shorter duration than I'm used to.
Old Oct 21, 2014, 3:20 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Amethyst Premier Plutonium Medallion
eat before the flight and get a window seat and do the ambien + scotch PDB routine, so that you can sleep undisturbed. this flight is hell, it's really short, and they keep the lights on throughout the dinner service and back on for breakfast. thus, total lights out time is only about 2-2 1/2 hours on the flight. the last time i did it was in whY on the wideroe deal and the only saving grace was that i only paid 350 rt from SMF. never again will i take this one...next time EI from ORD or SFO or connect in LHR.
Old Oct 21, 2014, 4:09 pm

Programs: UA, AA, DL, Hertz, Avis, National, Hyatt, Hilton, SPG, Marriott
CO used to do a "late night supper" on longhaul departures after 10:00pm, which consisted of a slightly expedited service for the entire cabin, maybe around 75-90 minutes as opposed to nearly 2 hours. Made a difference in an era of non-flat seats!

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.