Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

2014 Let's Eat - International GlobalFirst, BusinessFirst, & Business Class

2014 Let's Eat - International GlobalFirst, BusinessFirst, & Business Class

Old Sep 20, 2014, 4:09 am

Programs: DL DM+5MM, AAGold MM, UA 1K+2MM, BA GGL,LH Senator, SPG Plat, HH Diamond, HY Plat
Originally Posted by MatthewLAX
Interesting. The offer was never made to me (last Saturday) and I did not see it on the posted menu.
You can just ask the attendant in the lounge and they have hot eggs made any way you like them
Old Sep 20, 2014, 7:50 am

Originally Posted by hirohito888
On my LAX-PVG, I heard they loaded 5 congee.
CTU-SFO, I heard 3-5 congee.
I was looking forward to Congee on LAX-PVG. I was told that there were 3 loaded for Business class and they all went to GS members. The FA said that I should contact UA since the FAs told them repeatedly, but that they would listen to me more. I can't imagine that they would listen to me, but please load more congee! Of all the dishes loaded on a plane, this MUST be one of the least expensive!

I've got PVG-LAX next week, so maybe I'll have more luck.

Dr. PITUK.
Old Sep 21, 2014, 4:38 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA*Lifetime GS, Hyatt* Lifetime Globalist
Originally Posted by painintheuk
I was looking forward to Congee on LAX-PVG. I was told that there were 3 loaded for Business class and they all went to GS members. The FA said that I should contact UA since the FAs told them repeatedly, but that they would listen to me more. I can't imagine that they would listen to me, but please load more congee! Of all the dishes loaded on a plane, this MUST be one of the least expensive!

I've got PVG-LAX next week, so maybe I'll have more luck.

Dr. PITUK.
IMHO, the congee prepared by US catering facilities does not taste good.

I prefer congee prepared by Asia based catering facilities. ^
Old Sep 21, 2014, 4:45 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Recent PVG-ORD Global First

Nice to see tulip logo on the wine glass!^.....but food was below average!

Old Sep 21, 2014, 4:52 am

Originally Posted by UA_Flyer
IMHO, the congee prepared by US catering facilities does not taste good.

I prefer congee prepared by Asia based catering facilities. ^
My 1st and best experience of congee (as someone who will try anything, but may not like it and certainly wouldn't be able to tell what was 'normal') was on EVA Air from YVR-TPE. I poked at it for a bit but loved it! I haven't been to Asia many times since, but try it when I can. Maybe I should be glad that there was none on the US-PVG flight!

I did have some this morning at the Fairmont in Nanjing. It was OK - much like the standard buffet fare, there. I'm still full many hours later, but not really satisfied.

Hopefully more and better congee will be loaded in PVG this week.

Dr. PITUK
Old Sep 21, 2014, 7:46 pm

Programs: UA MileagePlus (Premier Gold); Hilton HHonors (Gold); Chase Ultimate Rewards; Amex Plat

This was the main meal on UA889 on May 29, 2014 from SFO-PEK. I had the shrimp which had some veggies and legumes with it. It was all right, but I thought that some of the other options that other people around me had looked better. The appetizer was a salad, and the dessert was a sundae.
Old Sep 21, 2014, 9:30 pm

Programs: AAdvantage, MileagePlus, SkyMiles
Wait, are you sure this was GF? GF has a white linen tablecloth and different plates - this looks like BF.

Nice to see tulip logo on the wine glass!^.....but food was below average!
Old Sep 21, 2014, 11:25 pm

Originally Posted by MrAndy1369
Wait, are you sure this was GF? GF has a white linen tablecloth and different plates - this looks like BF.
This type of wine glasses are only available in GF. the gray table cloth is standard. Some station may not have the gray table cloths or if they can not wash them fast enough then the white table cloths will be the substitution.
Old Sep 21, 2014, 11:26 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by STS-134

This was the main meal on UA889 on May 29, 2014 from SFO-PEK. I had the shrimp which had some veggies and legumes with it. It was all right, but I thought that some of the other options that other people around me had looked better. The appetizer was a salad, and the dessert was a sundae.
So, was this a 3-course meal on your SFO-PEK flight? or did you skip two of the usual five courses? (counting the cheese and the sundae as two courses)
Old Sep 21, 2014, 11:40 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Yes, it is GF. The color of table cloth demonstrates United is consistently inconsistent.

You should tell this is GF form the soft- focused background in a few photos. Also BF does not serve soup.

Originally Posted by jetaway96
This type of wine glasses are only available in GF. the gray table cloth is standard. Some station may not have the gray table cloths or if they can not wash them fast enough then the white table cloths will be the substitution.
Yes, the wine glass is an excellent example!

Last edited by UA_Flyer; Sep 22, 2014 at 7:18 am
Old Sep 22, 2014, 2:31 am

Programs: AAdvantage, MileagePlus, SkyMiles
Originally Posted by jetaway96
No, it isn't. Every picture of GF I've seen up to now had white linen tablecloths. I'm aware soup is only served in GF, but the plates, linens, etc. are BF, not GF.
Old Sep 22, 2014, 11:55 am

No, it isn't. Every picture of GF I've seen up to now had white linen tablecloths. I'm aware soup is only served in GF, but the plates, linens, etc. are BF, not GF.
The gray linen in BF you see is on the tray, not on the table. GF has no tray so the gray linen is much bigger an its laid on the table. Dish ware in GF is supposed to be different but with the US catering now a day you get what you get.

Ps/ I'm surprised to see the salt and pepper shakers as it is phasing out.
Old Sep 22, 2014, 7:59 pm

Programs: UA1k 3MM, AA Plt, peasant on everybody else, elite something or other at a bunch of hotels.
UA 139 DEN-NRT 9/12 Business

Appetizer:
Prosciutto and melon and California sushi roll

Fresh Seasonal Greens
Tomatoes, Kalamata olives, Parmesan cheese and croutons with your choice of ranch dressing or Italian vinaigrette

Main Course
Tenderloin of Beef
Delmonico steak sauce, rosti potatoes, fine green beans and roasted tomatoes

Cajun-style Breast of Chicken
Cajun cream sauce, white beans with chicken sausage collard greens and grilled onions

Newburg-style Seafood
Fillet of turbot and shrimp with a creamy lobster sauce, green lentils and mixed vegetables

Japanese Selection
Appetizers of marinated mussel, skewered breast of duck, herring sushi and lobster salad

A main course of grilled salmon, clear soup with mushroom and chicken, marinated spinach, vinegared clam, simmered pumpkin with chicken sauce, steamed rice and Japanese-style pickles.

Sake and green tea are available.

To finish
International cheese selection
Grapes and crackers served with Port

Dessert
Ice cream with your choice of toppings

Mid-Flight Snack
Assorted sandwiches
Sun-dried tomato-basil tortilla wrap with turkey and cheddar, Hummus and Pepper jack Cheese

Prior to arrival
Herbed scrambled eggs
Potato gratin and turkey sausage

Pork Katsu
Curry sauce, udon noodles and mixed vegetables

Cereal with banana
Served with milk

Fresh fruit appetizer, yogurt and breakfast breads.

No wine list
I had the Newburg-style Seafood. The shrimp was OK but the fish was mushy and only lukewarm. The lentils tasted fine, but I find them a jarring contrast to the seafood, perhaps too rustic and hearty to be served with a mild white fish.

No wine list and no attempts to show people what they had. I drank champagne – a safe bet.

Cheap ice cream (or is it ice milk?) for dessert.

And what’s with breakfast at 2 PM (local time) or midnight (Denver time)? I call it management laziness.

Crew was excellent.
Old Sep 22, 2014, 8:06 pm

Programs: UA1k 3MM, AA Plt, peasant on everybody else, elite something or other at a bunch of hotels.
UA 892 ICN-SFO 9/18 Business

Appetizer:
Scallop, pancetta and feta cheese-filled melon with ranch dressing

And this is what was served:

Photo copied from and with apologies to UA_FLyer.

ICN catering comes through again! I'm on this route several times a year and on past trips, only one of the appetizer items on the menu were served; this time neither item was available, only two shrimp with some kind of aioli.

Fresh Seasonal Greens
Radish, bell pepper and croutons with your choice of lemon aioli or black sesame vinaigrette

Main Course
Tenderloin of Beef
Shitake mushroom cream sauce, buttered Parmesan noodles, broccoli and carrots

American-style Barbeque Baby Back Port Ribs
Barbeque sauce with mixed peppers and green beans

Fillet of Pacific Dory
Coriander chutney, steamed purple potato and herbed vegetables

Korean-style Braised Chicken
Chicken with carrots, dates and chestnuts and steamed rice

To finish
International cheese selection
Grapes and crackers served with Port

Dessert
Ice cream with your choice of toppings

Mid-Flight Snack
(No sandwiches were listed, menu showed only fruit and light snacks as available.)

Prior to arrival
Spinach and Ricotta Cheese Quiche
Chunky tomato sauce and chorizo sausage

Asian-style noodles
Beef in oyster sauce with bok choy and bell pepper

Cereal with banana
Served with milk

Fresh fruit appetizer, yogurt and breakfast breads.

No wine list (and no attempt to show what was available).

I had the beef which was actually nicely cooked; I prefer medium rare,but this was just a shade under medium, but quite acceptable for airline catering. The noodles were over-heated and close to being crunchy.

Drank champagne and a Bordeaux, name and vintage unknown, which I found a little harsh.

As usual, that crap ice cream for dessert.

Skipped breakfast and slept until about 20 minutes outside SFO.
Old Sep 24, 2014, 4:59 pm
sfo

Programs: UA MM *Gold, Accor Silver
SIN to HKG in BC, breakfast, only two choices, an Asian dish or scrambled eggs. I opted for the scrambled eggs. What a disgusting looking breakfast. The eggs were so runny it look more like yellow soup, some sort of stack brown item with red sauce dripping from the top, a sausage and a small amount of spinach. No bread items offered. I could not eat the mess put in front of me. I was going to take a picture of the food with my tablet camera, but the food was so gross the tablet camera refused to take the picture.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.