Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

p.s.® Premium Service (LAX/SFO-JFK) Flights on UA - Questions and Experience (2014)

Old Jan 3, 2014, 7:11 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: PTahCha
A recap of some of the key features of the refreshed p.s. product:

• 28 seats in United BusinessFirst with 180-degree flat-bed seats
  • 48 seats in Economy Plus (36" pitch)
  • 66 seats in United Economy
  • Complimentary in-seat audio video on-demand entertainment. However, headsets are no longer complimentary in economy as of 9/2014.
  • USB and standard 110v power outlets accessible from every seat
  • Gogo Wi-Fi for a fee (all cabins; no waivers for elite or premium cabin passengers)

The Global First Lounge at JFK is scheduled to remain open, welcoming Global Services members seated in United BusinessFirst on p.s. flights, as well as customers on connecting United Global First itineraries.

Upgrade policies are the same. No CPU. Only miles or instrument-supported upgrades.

http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/20168422-post1.html (UA Insider)

For mileage upgrades requested on or after 1 Feb 2015, Premier members are no longer exempt from upgrade co-pay on the p.s. routes. The co-pay varies by fare basis:

Fare Basis (Co-Pay Each Way)

Y, B (no co-pay)
M,E,U ($75)
H,Q ($125)
V ($175)
W ($225)
S,T,K,L,G,N ($250)
Print Wikipost

p.s.® Premium Service (LAX/SFO-JFK) Flights on UA - Questions and Experience (2014)

Old Jul 21, 2014, 8:54 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Amethyst Premier Plutonium Medallion
Originally Posted by UA-NYC
My PS flight is within 72 hours, 9s across the board (including P/PN), 13 open seats on the map...and no R space. GMAB
oh, the things i have to look forward to waiting for my last ever UA ps UG to confirm (or not) the next couple of weeks.
Old Jul 21, 2014, 9:00 am

Programs: UA GS 2.6MM & Lifetime UC, Qantas Platinum, Hilton Lifetime Diamond, Bonvoy Platinum, HawaiianMiles
Originally Posted by LAX-1K
I was on UA445 (the 8:29pm departure JFK-LAX) on Monday 7/14. I can happily report that this "snack" service included the sundae cart đźŽ
Thanks, good to know! ^
Old Jul 21, 2014, 9:22 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K, Marriott Plat, Hilton Diamond, Hertz PC
Originally Posted by PV_Premier
oh, the things i have to look forward to waiting for my last ever UA ps UG to confirm (or not) the next couple of weeks.
But it will clear.
Old Jul 21, 2014, 10:32 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K1.75MM, Hyatt Globalist, abandoned Marriott LTT (RIP SPG), Hertz PC
Originally Posted by PV_Premier
Same situation here - this is the last business trip (read: high CPM) UA is getting from me, and the PS segment is my final flight (others are Q4 cheaper leisure trips already upgraded).

It should clear...but I of course expect dodginess in the interim.
Old Jul 21, 2014, 10:42 am

Programs: Fomerly UA 1K, now Gold... next year, who knows?
Same situation here - this is the last business trip (read: high CPM) UA is getting from me, and the PS segment is my final flight (others are Q4 cheaper leisure trips already upgraded).

It should clear...but I of course expect dodginess in the interim.
I'm betting it'll clear... however you'll waste time (as do I) checking daily(since you may or may not get an email that UG has cleared), and then since the UG system never really clears it, you'll have to call in. At least that's what I've come to expect. Then it comes down to whether I can snag a seat in row 1 or 5, or cram my feet into the small footwell. That's the norm for me.

Right now, I'm sitting on a September LAX-JFK red-eye waiting for it to clear, but my return flight cleared at booking. In the old days, the red-eye would clear at booking, and I'd be sweating the JFK-LAX segment. Things have flip-flopped in that respect, or so has been my own observation last few trips to NYC.
Old Jul 21, 2014, 10:48 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K1.75MM, Hyatt Globalist, abandoned Marriott LTT (RIP SPG), Hertz PC
Originally Posted by Phil Level
I'm betting it'll clear... however you'll waste time (as do I) checking daily(since you may or may not get an email that UG has cleared), and then since the UG system never really clears it, you'll have to call in. At least that's what I've come to expect. Then it comes down to whether I can snag a seat in row 1 or 5, or cram my feet into the small footwell. That's the norm for me.
Yup, I know the drill well by now...is what it is. Just hoping it clears ahead of T-24 so I don't have to re-fight that battle yet again
Old Jul 21, 2014, 12:23 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by GBadger
I've experienced a 7:20 JFK-SFO once. At that point I was very glad to be on an internationally configured 763 on DL.
Had a similar gate-to-gate experience, not counting the roughly 30 min before the door closed. This approaches some TATL travel times, such as BOS-LHR.
Old Jul 22, 2014, 5:58 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

No more R space at T-24

At 23 hours now, and J6 yet still R0

Sell those upgrades UA!!!
Old Jul 22, 2014, 6:04 pm

Programs: Fomerly UA 1K, now Gold... next year, who knows?

Call in and ask? Maybe .bomb is broken (again)
Old Jul 22, 2014, 6:09 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Phil Level
Call in and ask? Maybe .bomb is broken (again)
No there were other posts on this. Seems to be the new reality.
Old Jul 22, 2014, 6:18 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AS 75K; UA 1MM; Hyatt Globalist; Marriott LTP; Hilton Diamond (Aspire)

No R on any of tomorrow's flights JFK-SFO. PN on several of them though. Upgrade the GS, screw the 1Ks.

A questionable move on UA's part, given the increasingly attractive competition on these routes from B6, VX, and AA.
Old Jul 22, 2014, 7:01 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Kacee
No R on any of tomorrow's flights JFK-SFO. PN on several of them though. Upgrade the GS, screw the 1Ks.

A questionable move on UA's part, given the increasingly attractive competition on these routes from B6, VX, and AA.
They just offered me a $299 TOD. [vulgarity deleted per FT ToS]

Last edited by WineCountryUA; Jul 22, 2014 at 7:18 pm Reason: vulgarity deleted per FT ToS
Old Jul 22, 2014, 7:13 pm
Original Poster

Programs: UA MM | BA Ag
They just offered me a $299 TOD. [vulgarity deleted by FT ToS]
What's your purchased fare bucket?

Last edited by WineCountryUA; Jul 22, 2014 at 7:19 pm Reason: editted quote
Old Jul 22, 2014, 8:43 pm

Programs: AA Exec Plat; UA MM Gold; Marriott Lifetime Titanium; Hilton Diamond
They just offered me a $299 TOD.
Sorry UA-NYC. You know what this airline has become, yet you continue to fly them.

At some point, you have to personally accept the blame for choosing to continue flying United. This is what you get for that choice.

This airline simply will not give you an upgrade unless they are certain they cannot sell the seat, obtain a currency paid upgrade, or give it away for mileage (and hopefully at a standard award rate).
Old Jul 22, 2014, 8:48 pm

Programs: UA lifetime gold; Hilton Gold; Marriott/SPG Plat; Hyatt Discoverist
They just offered me a $299 TOD. [vulgarity deleted per FT ToS]
technically not TOD but HOD......
it sucks anyway

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.