Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

p.s.® Premium Service (LAX/SFO-JFK) Flights on UA - Questions and Experience (2014)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Jan 3, 2014, 7:11 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: PTahCha
A recap of some of the key features of the refreshed p.s. product:

• 28 seats in United BusinessFirst with 180-degree flat-bed seats
  • 48 seats in Economy Plus (36" pitch)
  • 66 seats in United Economy
  • Complimentary in-seat audio video on-demand entertainment. However, headsets are no longer complimentary in economy as of 9/2014.
  • USB and standard 110v power outlets accessible from every seat
  • Gogo Wi-Fi for a fee (all cabins; no waivers for elite or premium cabin passengers)

The Global First Lounge at JFK is scheduled to remain open, welcoming Global Services members seated in United BusinessFirst on p.s. flights, as well as customers on connecting United Global First itineraries.

Upgrade policies are the same. No CPU. Only miles or instrument-supported upgrades.

http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/20168422-post1.html (UA Insider)

For mileage upgrades requested on or after 1 Feb 2015, Premier members are no longer exempt from upgrade co-pay on the p.s. routes. The co-pay varies by fare basis:

Fare Basis (Co-Pay Each Way)

Y, B (no co-pay)
M,E,U ($75)
H,Q ($125)
V ($175)
W ($225)
S,T,K,L,G,N ($250)
Print Wikipost

p.s.® Premium Service (LAX/SFO-JFK) Flights on UA - Questions and Experience (2014)

Search this Thread

Old Jan 22, 2014, 7:42 pm

Programs: AC SE100K, SPG Gold, UA MP
Originally Posted by Boraxo
Just booked my first P.S. flight (obviously I don't get to NYC often ). At this point there is ample R inventory for December 2014 and $366rt seems a fair price for SFO-JFK-SFO (with confirmed RPUs .

I am really looking forward to this - used to sitting in E+ as my CPUs never materialize on my 4-5 hour domestic flights.

I was trying to figure that out myself, seatguru does not have much to say (no shocker). In general terms, the front of any aircraft is often better, further from Y where you may have screaming infants, etc.

But assuming you are not connecting at JFK, does it really matter whether you are first off the plane? There will already be a taxi line, and they don't move too quick at rush hour.

That was my thinking. I went for 2 E/F

I hate being near the galley and bathroom. Too much noise and often unpleasant smells.
I've flown this flight several times JFK-LAX/SFO, very good value for miles+co-pay to get the flat-bed seats. I will say 1A/B is not ideal; both gets the light from the Galley up front. So now I pick 2E/F for outbound JFK-west coast and 2A/B in return, for the best view at takeoff and landing of the Manhattan skyline.

Agree with rear cabin of too much lavatory traffic. I don't think it matters much which door to deplane since in the first cabin if you're in rows 2/3 you'll get equally quick odds of deplaning first at either door.

Wish the red-eye flight would automatically offer you a meal (vs the default of the PAX doesn't want a meal), and a early flight from east/west coast would offer something more than just breakfast.
Old Jan 22, 2014, 8:50 pm
Suspended

Programs: AAdvantage EXPLAT, Hilton Diamond, SPG/Marriott Gold, IHG Platinum, Citi Exec MC, Amex Plat
Originally Posted by Baze
Reading this article in USA Today about what American is doing with their new A321's for NY to West Coast flights, UA has some catching up to do again.
UA's got the equipment to compete for the most part. J seats are the same model on both between AA and UA. AA just has a fancier J seat for the F cabin. They have different philosophies. UA's ps config basically makes the ps 757s a J heavy version of their intl 757. If UA needs to, they could easily sub in a 2 class 763, an intl 757, 787, or sCO 777. Same hardware, just bigger volume of seats. Increased fleet flexibility. What UA needs is an attitude re-vamp of their employees and that starts from the top. While UA can't match the looks and youth of the SQ Girls, they can if they wanted to work on it match the SQ Girls attitudes, and that again starts from the top. Empower the front line so that they can deliver great service. Quit leaving the front line feeling like they're helpless in doing their jobs.
Old Jan 22, 2014, 8:55 pm
Original Poster

Programs: UA MM | BA Silver
Originally Posted by gtpdiddy
Wish the red-eye flight would automatically offer you a meal (vs the default of the PAX doesn't want a meal), and a early flight from east/west coast would offer something more than just breakfast.
Pax were not eating on the red-eye so they moved to an enhanced snack. Works out, except when you're really hungry.

Years ago they had a second meal prior to arrival on breakfast flights, but honestly that was overkill.
Old Feb 4, 2014, 2:31 am

Do they offer meal on UA 314 leaves JFK before 8:30pm? What is included ? Any ice cream sundae?
Old Feb 4, 2014, 2:46 am
Original Poster

Programs: UA MM | BA Silver
Originally Posted by anchor79
Do they offer meal on UA 314 leaves JFK before 8:30pm? What is included ? Any ice cream sundae?
Full meal and ice cream sundae.

Appetizer & Salad
Choice of 3 main dishes
Warm bread
Ice Cream/Cheese
Old Feb 4, 2014, 3:33 am

Programs: EK-IO, UA-1K2MM, ETIHAD-GOLD, SPG-PLAT LIFETIME, JUMEIRAH SERIUS GOLD
Took my first PS flight with the new 2 cabin configuration a few days ago - I must say I was impressed with a number of things.

They were short 1 flight attendant but went anyway and the F/A's that were working (4 instead of 5) worked their butts off. The service in J was one of the better UA flights Ive had in YEARS (granted, Id hate to see what it was like in Y since at one point I counted 3 F/A's working in J leaving just one in Y

I was starving - had arrived from DXB on EK a little over 24 hours earlier and had not eaten a thing that entire time in NY. Im used to flying SQ or EK where they feed you as much as you want - and used to being lucky to get your first choice on UA, forget extra food but even though the flight was full, the chicken was fantastic and when I was done the F/A remarked that I must have been starving (not a spot left on my plate) She offered me an extra meal without me even having to ask.....same with the Ice Cream. I was in row 1 so was served first. By the time they were done in the back, I was done and she just placed another one in front of me without saying a word

This was like the UA of the past - really sad more flights can't have crews like this
Old Feb 4, 2014, 7:50 am
Original Member

Programs: UA 1K/1MM, AA EXP, Marriott LT Titanium, Hyatt Globalist, IHG Plat Amb
Originally Posted by chinatraderjmr
Took my first PS flight with the new 2 cabin configuration a few days ago - I must say I was impressed with a number of things.

They were short 1 flight attendant but went anyway and the F/A's that were working (4 instead of 5) worked their butts off. The service in J was one of the better UA flights Ive had in YEARS (granted, Id hate to see what it was like in Y since at one point I counted 3 F/A's working in J leaving just one in Y

I was starving - had arrived from DXB on EK a little over 24 hours earlier and had not eaten a thing that entire time in NY. Im used to flying SQ or EK where they feed you as much as you want - and used to being lucky to get your first choice on UA, forget extra food but even though the flight was full, the chicken was fantastic and when I was done the F/A remarked that I must have been starving (not a spot left on my plate) She offered me an extra meal without me even having to ask.....same with the Ice Cream. I was in row 1 so was served first. By the time they were done in the back, I was done and she just placed another one in front of me without saying a word

This was like the UA of the past - really sad more flights can't have crews like this
Actually that's 2 FA short - they should have a total of 6 FAs working, but the FAA minimum is 4.
Old Feb 7, 2014, 10:09 am

Can't find Premium Service P.S. flights

Is there a thread to discuss problems finding P.S. flights? I'm looking both from JFK and IAD to SFO around 6/4 and 6/11. I thought I found some the other day but right now I'm getting nothing at all. Can someone tell me the specific flight numbers for P.S. service? Thanks!
Old Feb 7, 2014, 10:14 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

I'm seeing eight daily 757 ps flights between JFK and SFO on June 4. Any UA 757 between JFK and either SFO or LAX should be ps service.

As far as I know, UA does not offer ps between IAD and SFO (or LAX).
Old Feb 7, 2014, 10:14 am
Four Seasons Contributor BadgeShangri-La Contributor Badge

Programs: UA 1K
I don't know for sure what you are asking, but searching the dates you provided, all ps flights are $358 rt for eco and about $3800 in biz.
Old Feb 7, 2014, 10:15 am

Programs: Mileage Plus 1K; Marriott Platinum; Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by zitsky
Is there a thread to discuss problems finding P.S. flights? I'm looking both from JFK and IAD to SFO around 6/4 and 6/11. I thought I found some the other day but right now I'm getting nothing at all. Can someone tell me the specific flight numbers for P.S. service? Thanks!
Every nonstop flight from JFK to SFO is Premium Service. No flights from IAD to SFO are Premium Service.

Are you not able to find any nonstop flights from JFK to SFO?
Old Feb 7, 2014, 11:15 am

Sorry. My mistake. I was looking for 767-400ER. I forgot that the 757's were reconfigured. I'll check again.
Old Feb 7, 2014, 11:47 am

Programs: DYKWIA, But I'm a "Diamond Guest" UA 1K/2MM
"The Global First Lounge at JFK is scheduled to remain open, welcoming Global Services members seated in United Business on p.s. flights, as well as customers on connecting United Global First itineraries. "
I just want to clarify this point. Regular passengers (non-GS) flying Business First on the p.s. flights will no longer be allowed in the Global First lounge?
Old Feb 7, 2014, 12:02 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K1.75MM, Hyatt Globalist, abandoned Marriott LTT (RIP SPG), Hertz PC
Originally Posted by porciuscato
[INDENT]I just want to clarify this point. Regular passengers (non-GS) flying Business First on the p.s. flights will no longer be allowed in the Global First lounge?
That is correct - though "regular" flyers were only ever in there if they were in PS F or connecting to Int'l F at SFO/LAX/IAD.
Old Feb 7, 2014, 2:42 pm

Programs: DYKWIA, But I'm a "Diamond Guest" UA 1K/2MM
Originally Posted by UA-NYC
That is correct - though "regular" flyers were only ever in there if they were in PS F or connecting to Int'l F at SFO/LAX/IAD.
I used the lounge 3 or 4 times last year, because I was in P.S. First. It's strange that I'm actually paying more now for BusinessFirst than I was paying for First last year ($3900 vs. $3000), yet I'm getting fewer privileges.

Oh wait it's not that strange. It's United. "More Money. Less Service." (TM)

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.