Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

p.s.® Premium Service (LAX/SFO-JFK) Flights on UA - Questions and Experience (2014)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Jan 3, 2014, 7:11 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: PTahCha
A recap of some of the key features of the refreshed p.s. product:

• 28 seats in United BusinessFirst with 180-degree flat-bed seats
  • 48 seats in Economy Plus (36" pitch)
  • 66 seats in United Economy
  • Complimentary in-seat audio video on-demand entertainment. However, headsets are no longer complimentary in economy as of 9/2014.
  • USB and standard 110v power outlets accessible from every seat
  • Gogo Wi-Fi for a fee (all cabins; no waivers for elite or premium cabin passengers)

The Global First Lounge at JFK is scheduled to remain open, welcoming Global Services members seated in United BusinessFirst on p.s. flights, as well as customers on connecting United Global First itineraries.

Upgrade policies are the same. No CPU. Only miles or instrument-supported upgrades.

http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/20168422-post1.html (UA Insider)

For mileage upgrades requested on or after 1 Feb 2015, Premier members are no longer exempt from upgrade co-pay on the p.s. routes. The co-pay varies by fare basis:

Fare Basis (Co-Pay Each Way)

Y, B (no co-pay)
M,E,U ($75)
H,Q ($125)
V ($175)
W ($225)
S,T,K,L,G,N ($250)
Print Wikipost

p.s.® Premium Service (LAX/SFO-JFK) Flights on UA - Questions and Experience (2014)

Search this Thread

Old Jan 13, 2014, 10:14 pm

ps menu

I take a PS flight about once a quarter. Does united ever change up the menu? It has been the same menu for the past year and a half since I started taking this flight. Just curious
Old Jan 13, 2014, 10:37 pm

Do passengers in BF on PS get access to RCC anymore? I'm dreading using the United Club at SFO now that alcohol is at a cost and I used to get IFL access with a F ticket on PS, so it's obviously frustrating that is no longer the case.

Also, can anyone please point me in the direction of a trip report for the new layout w/ photos?

Last edited by iluv2fly; Jan 14, 2014 at 4:21 am Reason: merge
Old Jan 14, 2014, 12:05 am
Original Poster

Programs: UA MM | BA Silver
Originally Posted by lpro1111
I take a PS flight about once a quarter. Does united ever change up the menu? It has been the same menu for the past year and a half since I started taking this flight. Just curious
Ever? It used to, but as you mention, its been a very long time.

Originally Posted by kthpence
Do passengers in BF on PS get access to RCC anymore?
Yes, at departure airport.
Old Jan 14, 2014, 6:14 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K1.75MM, Hyatt Globalist, abandoned Marriott LTT (RIP SPG), Hertz PC
UA believes C/F flyers who want new menus more than once ever 2 years are over entitled. BOB buyers in Y get new stuff though!

Originally Posted by kthpence
Do passengers in BF on PS get access to RCC anymore? I'm dreading using the United Club at SFO now that alcohol is at a cost and I used to get IFL access with a F ticket on PS, so it's obviously frustrating that is no longer the case.
Yes
Old Jan 14, 2014, 9:57 am
Original Member

Programs: UA 1K/1MM, AA EXP, Marriott LT Titanium, Hyatt Globalist, IHG Plat Amb
The breakfast menu has been the same for forever- egg, french toast, or cereal. I missed the apple-filled pancake.

Lunch and dinner menu does vary by station, but it has been consistent if you fly the same route. Chilled app is either the smoked salmon or shrimp cocktail. Main course is the beef, BBQ chicken with kimchee fried rice, or ravioli (which is quite delicious), with occasional change up with spice rubbed chicken and (tiny portion of) pasta shells filled with ricotta.
Old Jan 17, 2014, 1:44 am
Original Poster

Flew ps and the snack basket only had two items. Miscatered or cost cutting?
Old Jan 18, 2014, 6:27 am

Programs: Fomerly UA 1K, now Gold... next year, who knows?
Originally Posted by anc-ord772
Our flight yesterday has the standard stuff. Chips, bananas, mini toblerone.

As an aside, our flight 448 had a momentary scary bump. Pilot announced we hit some jet wash. One FA was knocked to the ground, and slow getting up. I didn't see her for the remainder of the flight.
Old Jan 18, 2014, 6:59 am
Suspended

Programs: AC E50 UA1k 2MM AA EXP Royal Ambassador SPG Platinum
Originally Posted by anc-ord772
the snack basket on my flight had 4 items none of what anyone wanted
Old Jan 18, 2014, 9:23 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by flybit
the snack basket on my flight had 4 items none of what anyone wanted
Flew DL in December. Really nice snack basket items. That being said I don't find UNITED's offerings terrible.
Old Jan 19, 2014, 10:58 pm

Looking for UA JFK-SFO in Business report

Im having a very difficult time locating a trip report with pictures for a JFK-SFO flight on their newly outfitted business class (757-200). Anyone have a link?
Old Jan 19, 2014, 11:05 pm

Programs: UA 1K
The service is called "p.s." -- you can google "united new ps review" and find a good number.
Old Jan 20, 2014, 12:01 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1MM, WN CP, Marriott LT Plat, Hilton Gold, IC Plat
Just booked my first P.S. flight (obviously I don't get to NYC often ). At this point there is ample R inventory for December 2014 and $366rt seems a fair price for SFO-JFK-SFO (with confirmed RPUs .

I am really looking forward to this - used to sitting in E+ as my CPUs never materialize on my 4-5 hour domestic flights.

Originally Posted by chasgoose
Is there any difference between 1EF and 5EF? I know they are preferred for the bigger footwells, but aside from that has anyone who has sat in both noticed any other differences? Is there a service difference being in the smaller rear cabin vs. the larger front cabin? All I can think of is that at JFK the planes board/deplane from Door 1 and LAX/SFO board/deplane from Door 2 so if going to JFK row 1 might be preferable and vice versa for LAX/SFO. Anything else?
I was trying to figure that out myself, seatguru does not have much to say (no shocker). In general terms, the front of any aircraft is often better, further from Y where you may have screaming infants, etc.

But assuming you are not connecting at JFK, does it really matter whether you are first off the plane? There will already be a taxi line, and they don't move too quick at rush hour.

Originally Posted by Kacee
The front cabin is preferred. There is a ton of lav traffic from Y in the rear cabin.
That was my thinking. I went for 2 E/F

Originally Posted by nycityny
1E is a good seat for privacy, you are close to the front door and restroom and you get served among the first in that cabin. 1B obviously gets too much light from the galley.
I hate being near the galley and bathroom. Too much noise and often unpleasant smells.
Old Jan 20, 2014, 1:06 am

Programs: UA 1P MM, AA-PP, AS, DL, HH G, SPG Gold, TA nada
Originally Posted by Boraxo
Just booked my first P.S. flight (obviously I don't get to NYC often ). At this point there is ample R inventory for December 2014 and $366rt seems a fair price for SFO-JFK-SFO (with confirmed RPUs .

I am really looking forward to this - used to sitting in E+ as my CPUs never materialize on my 4-5 hour domestic flights.

I was trying to figure that out myself, seatguru does not have much to say (no shocker). In general terms, the front of any aircraft is often better, further from Y where you may have screaming infants, etc.

But assuming you are not connecting at JFK, does it really matter whether you are first off the plane? There will already be a taxi line, and they don't move too quick at rush hour.

That was my thinking. I went for 2 E/F

I hate being near the galley and bathroom. Too much noise and often unpleasant smells.
I actually prefer the second cabin. It doesn't seem as crowded to me. There are 2 FA's each for front and back cabins. So more attention in back cabin. I personally like 5B&E and 7B as there is a closet in front if it blocking a lot of noise from Y.
Old Jan 20, 2014, 5:55 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AS 75K; UA 1MM; Hyatt Globalist; Marriott LTP; Hilton Diamond (Aspire)
Originally Posted by zoegksf
I actually prefer the second cabin. It doesn't seem as crowded to me. There are 2 FA's each for front and back cabins. So more attention in back cabin. I personally like 5B&E and 7B as there is a closet in front if it blocking a lot of noise from Y.
I'm guessing you haven't been on one of the flights where the Y pax have figured out there are more lavs up front (and that they're closer). When I've sat in row 7 (twice) it has literally been a parade of pax through the curtain.
Old Jan 22, 2014, 6:54 pm

Programs: Fomerly UA 1K, now Gold... next year, who knows?
Originally Posted by Kacee
I'm guessing you haven't been on one of the flights where the Y pax have figured out there are more lavs up front (and that they're closer). When I've sat in row 7 (twice) it has literally been a parade of pax through the curtain.
I never sat in row 7, often in row 5, most recently last night, Jan 21 Flt 841, so I paid attention.

Now, this was not a normal flight, as we were trying to get out in a snow storm, and ultimately arrived LAX 5.5 hours late. We taxied once to the runway, and returned to the gate to de-ice, and took off on second attempt. I only mention this as time aboard was an extra 2 hours before wheels up.

A few pax did come forward from Y when the service cart blocked their path to the rear. I did not see the FA refuse them use of the forward lav. Later in the flight, after meal service, a couple did come forward, and the FA told them to use the lav in the rear.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.