Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

p.s.® Premium Service (LAX/SFO-JFK) Flights on UA - Questions and Experience (2014)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Jan 3, 2014, 7:11 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: PTahCha
A recap of some of the key features of the refreshed p.s. product:

• 28 seats in United BusinessFirst with 180-degree flat-bed seats
  • 48 seats in Economy Plus (36" pitch)
  • 66 seats in United Economy
  • Complimentary in-seat audio video on-demand entertainment. However, headsets are no longer complimentary in economy as of 9/2014.
  • USB and standard 110v power outlets accessible from every seat
  • Gogo Wi-Fi for a fee (all cabins; no waivers for elite or premium cabin passengers)

The Global First Lounge at JFK is scheduled to remain open, welcoming Global Services members seated in United BusinessFirst on p.s. flights, as well as customers on connecting United Global First itineraries.

Upgrade policies are the same. No CPU. Only miles or instrument-supported upgrades.

http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/20168422-post1.html (UA Insider)

For mileage upgrades requested on or after 1 Feb 2015, Premier members are no longer exempt from upgrade co-pay on the p.s. routes. The co-pay varies by fare basis:

Fare Basis (Co-Pay Each Way)

Y, B (no co-pay)
M,E,U ($75)
H,Q ($125)
V ($175)
W ($225)
S,T,K,L,G,N ($250)
Print Wikipost

p.s.® Premium Service (LAX/SFO-JFK) Flights on UA - Questions and Experience (2014)

Search this Thread

Old Jan 7, 2014, 11:42 am

Programs: UA GS / IHG Spire RA / HHonors Gold / SPG Marriott Plat
Using RPU on JFK>SFO p.s., worth waiting for OpUp?

i changed a flight last night (for free, thanks IROPS!) to stay longer in NYC, and am now leaving on UA389 JFK>SFO on a p.s. flight. since CPUs don't work, i applied an RPU via phone. i'm booked in M-class and am 1k, right now it's showing on mobile app that J is 24 booked, 3 blocked and 28 capacity. KVS tool matches, and all Y-cabin is full.

what do the experts think about retracting my RPU and hoping for an opup?
Old Jan 7, 2014, 12:09 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AS 75K; UA 1MM; Hyatt Globalist; Marriott LTP; Hilton Diamond (Aspire)
Originally Posted by Spitcool
i changed a flight last night (for free, thanks IROPS!) to stay longer in NYC, and am now leaving on UA389 JFK>SFO on a p.s. flight. since CPUs don't work, i applied an RPU via phone. i'm booked in M-class and am 1k, right now it's showing on mobile app that J is 24 booked, 3 blocked and 28 capacity. KVS tool matches, and all Y-cabin is full.

what do the experts think about retracting my RPU and hoping for an opup?
Hoping for an op-up is not IMO a valid strategy for sitting up front. They will clear the waitlist before they op anyone up. I would say go for it if you don't mind sitting in a middle seat in E- for six plus hours.
Old Jan 7, 2014, 2:04 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K, Marriott Plat, Hilton Diamond, Hertz PC
I took 5E this morning, JFK-SFO. It left 30 min late (assuming crew rules, since it was "delay of crew" since midnight last night).

My thoughts:

Plenty of room in the footwell (5'10) - but I can see where someone 6'3 and above might have an issue really stretching out when not reclined.

There was minimal/no Y traffic coming to the lavs - in fact, I saw more walking back from the front C cabin than folks who seemed to be in Y.

Great FAs - took meals back to front, and I assume prioritized. I got my first choice (but I always do for breakfast, as I want cereal).

The wine is meh. Why pour a sub-par Sauvignon Blanc, when Y can buy St. Supery and a Meiomi Pinot Noir?

Movie selection is good (except that I don't like overdubbed "censoring") but having "From the flight deck" advertised but not available is annoying.

I do agree that one can get away with less (texting mainly) in 5E, as the FAs have a straight line to you. But I would not say that they are directly in front of you - your line of vision is more towards the corner of the plane.
Old Jan 8, 2014, 12:39 pm

Programs: AA: ExPlat & 3MM; UA: 1k; KL: Plat 4 Life; Hyatt: Plat; SPG, Marriott, Hilton: Gold
Does UA ps not have First anymore?

Thought JFK-SFO was 3 cabin planes? When was that changed?
Old Jan 8, 2014, 12:40 pm

Programs: UA1K - SPG Plat
Originally Posted by anandrag
Thought JFK-SFO was 3 cabin planes? When was that changed?
yes, only lie-flat J and Y with E+ and E-
Old Jan 8, 2014, 12:41 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K1.75MM, Hyatt Globalist, abandoned Marriott LTT (RIP SPG), Hertz PC
Nope. Conversion happened last year.

AA now owns 3 cabin F domestically.
Old Jan 8, 2014, 12:44 pm

Programs: UA GS
Remember, United's BusinessFirst is just as good as other airlines' first class. First class seat and service for the price of business.
Old Jan 8, 2014, 12:57 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AS 75K; UA 1MM; Hyatt Globalist; Marriott LTP; Hilton Diamond (Aspire)
Originally Posted by jsl42
Remember, United's BusinessFirst is just as good as other airlines' first class. First class seat and service for the price of business.
More like business class for more than the price of first class.

AA is currently selling it's F product on the 321 for significantly less than UA's business class product (LAX-JFK in April: $3500 for AA vs. $4300 for UA).
Old Jan 8, 2014, 12:59 pm

Programs: AA: ExPlat & 3MM; UA: 1k; KL: Plat 4 Life; Hyatt: Plat; SPG, Marriott, Hilton: Gold
Originally Posted by jsl42
Was just looking to burn some upgrades before they expire from paid business class seat...
Old Jan 8, 2014, 1:06 pm
Suspended

Originally Posted by anandrag
Was just looking to burn some upgrades before they expire from paid business class seat...
some of us liked the old PMUA Biz seat over the F seat, so much so that I always called up to have them put me back into the C cabin when they placed me in the F cabin. Especially old Row 9, was rare for me to sit in any other row
Old Jan 8, 2014, 1:46 pm
Original Poster

Programs: UA MM | BA Silver
Long story short ROC-IAD-LAX turned into ROC-LGA on DL tonight and JFK-LAX tomorrow. That being said agent was able to move me over AND secure a seat in BF using my RPU, opening up R space. Agent had 2 work with supervisors, but I have my seat.

I miss Apollo so much.
Old Jan 8, 2014, 1:49 pm

Programs: UA 1K - National Executive.
I flew P.s (SFO-JFK) on 12/24. Ticket was bought 12/19 and my RPU upgrade was confirmed immediately. I had 2A. Loved it! The only thing I didn't like is that they didn't have direct tv. I didn't like the shows that they had pre-loaded.

I just bought a ticket 1/8 for (SFO-JFK) on 1/12. I am currently waitlisted. 1k and bought H fare. Will see how it goes.

Now I just need to figure out how to see if there are any R fares available so I can call and have my upgrade confirmed.
Old Jan 11, 2014, 1:38 am

Programs: UA 1K - National Executive.
Originally Posted by GergoryWilson
I flew P.s (SFO-JFK) on 12/24. Ticket was bought 12/19 and my RPU upgrade was confirmed immediately. I had 2A. Loved it! The only thing I didn't like is that they didn't have direct tv. I didn't like the shows that they had pre-loaded.

I just bought a ticket 1/8 for (SFO-JFK) on 1/12. I am currently waitlisted. 1k and bought H fare. Will see how it goes.

Now I just need to figure out how to see if there are any R fares available so I can call and have my upgrade confirmed.
R fare became available at 12:00am on 1/11.. I called and they tried to tell me I was waitlisted and had to wait, but I told them other there were people who could get the fare and jump me, lol.

she confirmed my upgrade. I'm sitting in 3F.. I've flown 2A before from SFO-JFK once before.
Old Jan 11, 2014, 8:28 am

Programs: Fomerly UA 1K, now Gold... next year, who knows?
Reporting release of R prior to T-24.

Unlike my last few trips where they held R until approx T-24 hours, for our trip in 1-2 weeks, R has been released a few seats at a time. Sometimes only 1, but 2 & 3 seats have cleared. I get the email, but have to call in as website displays the message "Call reservations to have the ticket re-issued".
Old Jan 11, 2014, 11:25 am

Programs: Delta Platinum Medallion; IHG Platinum; Marriott Gold; Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by Phil Level
Unlike my last few trips where they held R until approx T-24 hours, for our trip in 1-2 weeks, R has been released a few seats at a time. Sometimes only 1, but 2 & 3 seats have cleared. I get the email, but have to call in as website displays the message "Call reservations to have the ticket re-issued".
Yeah, the JFK-LAX upgrade for my January 9 flight surprisingly cleared a couple of weeks ago. I received an email telling me so. When I checked the reservation it indicated that I had to call in for re-issue. I called in and the agent was surprised because he thought that the problem had been fixed. Of course, we FTers know that this problem has been in place since the March 2012 merger/consolidation - in two years they have been unable to fix it. And folks complain about the Obamacare website...(don't mean to bring up a political discussion - just dissing the systems at United).

I guess upgrades are a bit looser in the winter off-season. It will probably go back to T-24 in late May or so. And, of course, around Spring Break and Easter holidays.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.