Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

Why is UA lagging in cargo & what impact will it have on 2014?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Dec 23, 2013, 3:45 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Originally Posted by entropy
One area where United was particularly strong was the Hawaii-mainland, where UA was able to haul gobs of cargo back and forth. Obviously, its harder to do that when they replaced 767s and 777's with 737s,
Causation or correlation? And is that market still high-yielding? There are a lot more options for flights to/from the islands than 5 or 10 years ago and some of those include HA's growing fleet of wide-body aircraft to more destinations on the mainland than UA has.

Originally Posted by Darlox
Compared to DL and AA, UA is underperforming either carrier by 10%+ year-over-year, and has lost more in terms of absolute dollars than DL and AA combined. More than $113M shed YTD, against 2012.
Looking at DL's 2012 10-K they show a $37mm YoY drop in cargo to $990mm from 2011 after a $177mm increase from 2010. AA's 2012 10-K says they did $669mm in cargo revenue, down 4.8% from the prior year.
Originally Posted by AA 10-K
Cargo revenues decreased 4.8 percent, or $34 million, to $669 million primarily as a result of decreased freight and mail traffic and yields.
In AA's Q3 '13 10-Q filing they indicate that cargo revenue is down for the 9 month period YoY ($485mm v $499). UA shows a higher drop but also a higher total revenue in the period ($662mm v $775mm in 2012). Delta is down to $699mm from $749mm.

Yes, UA is down, but I don't think that the overall numbers suggest that UA is falling apart on the cargo front.

Last edited by iluv2fly; Dec 23, 2013 at 6:56 am Reason: merge
Old Dec 23, 2013, 6:07 am

Programs: Marriott Ambassador, UA Mileage Plus 1K, AA Executive Plat, Marriott Ambassador Elite
Originally Posted by Kacee
So why has UA Cargo so significantly underperformed AA and DL? Do you really blame IT platform issues? Or do you dispute Darlox's figures?

What an inane comment. You can have a full can of soda if you ask.
Yes, that is a driving factor. When you make an IT switch, and personnel do not fully understand a system, freight gets lost, delayed, etc., and shipper moves the business elsewhere.
Old Dec 23, 2013, 7:44 am

That may be, but what on EARTH would the rationale be? Unless they were doing something really wonky, it's always been my understanding that cargo for passenger carriers was pretty much "free money". Sure, if fuel costs go up, your margin gets squeezed. But 50% (or 40% or 20%) of something is surely better than 100% of nothing??

What are they filling the holds with, at this point??
Cargo is absolutely not "free money." There are significant handling expenses associated with Cargo which is significantly more complex and potentially more expensive than handling passengers. Cargo is also highly directional and highly seasonal. With a few exceptions, cargo tends to be low yield hence why when you see fuel spike, cargo gets dropped.

Finally United (and all US majors) are flying smaller aircraft, with the vast majority bulk loaded rather than palletized, which adds logistic and storage issues at airports.

Cargo just isn't that important anymore.

Last edited by airzim; Dec 23, 2013 at 8:52 am
Old Dec 23, 2013, 8:40 am

Programs: UA 1K, Hertz PC, Avis PC, Hilton Diamond, BW Diamond, Marriott Platinum
I suspect the increased use of RJ's plays into the reduction of local cargo/mail. There is no room for any cargo or mail on RJ's. I assume freight brokers have a harder time with the logistics of UA's spotty schedule. RJ vs main liner on certain routes. IMHO
Old Dec 23, 2013, 8:51 am

Originally Posted by asphaltman
I suspect the increased use of RJ's plays into the reduction of local cargo/mail.
How do you reconcile this against the fact that regional ASMs are down YoY at about the same rate as mainline?
Old Dec 23, 2013, 9:07 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: CO 1K-MM
Causation or correlation? And is that market still high-yielding? There are a lot more options for flights to/from the islands than 5 or 10 years ago and some of those include HA's growing fleet of wide-body aircraft to more destinations on the mainland than UA has.
c'mon sb12, you know that CO's tendency to go for the smallest aircraft they can possible squeeze on a route. They aren't looking at the underbelly. They fight for access to LHR for 'premium traffic' and then they drop 757s onto it.

This isn't an airline that is thinking big, they are a small minded penny ante operator.
Old Dec 23, 2013, 9:14 am

Programs: Lawl COVID
That may be, but what on EARTH would the rationale be? Unless they were doing something really wonky, it's always been my understanding that cargo for passenger carriers was pretty much "free money". Sure, if fuel costs go up, your margin gets squeezed. But 50% (or 40% or 20%) of something is surely better than 100% of nothing??

What are they filling the holds with, at this point??
Passengers, soon.
Old Dec 23, 2013, 9:16 am

Programs: AS 75K; UA 1MM; Hyatt Globalist; Marriott LTP; Hilton Diamond (Aspire)
c'mon sb12, you know that CO's tendency to go for the smallest aircraft they can possible squeeze on a route. They aren't looking at the underbelly. They fight for access to LHR for 'premium traffic' and then they drop 757s onto it.

This isn't an airline that is thinking big, they are a small minded penny ante operator.
That's really not fair. UA is upgauging EWR-LHR to five daily widebodies during peak travel times.
Old Dec 23, 2013, 10:20 am

Programs: Marriott Ambassador, UA Mileage Plus 1K, AA Executive Plat, Marriott Ambassador Elite
Originally Posted by asphaltman
I suspect the increased use of RJ's plays into the reduction of local cargo/mail. There is no room for any cargo or mail on RJ's. I assume freight brokers have a harder time with the logistics of UA's spotty schedule. RJ vs main liner on certain routes. IMHO
Doesn't really play a big factor. Every airline around the world moves cargo on a truck, so any RJ isn't a factor.
Old Dec 23, 2013, 10:35 am

Programs: UA 1K, SPG Platinum, Hyatt Diamond, Hilton Platinum, Marriott Platinum

I find Jeff's preflight messages are often a leading indicator of a coming decline in discussed topic. Changes we'll like, 787, customer service, mileage program. I was wondering what was about to happen to cargo. So far a perfect run in forecasting doom. Jeffodamus.
Old Dec 23, 2013, 10:42 am

Originally Posted by LeviFlight
I find Jeff's preflight messages are often a leading indicator of a coming decline in discussed topic. Changes we'll like, 787, customer service, mileage program. I was wondering what was about to happen to cargo. So far a perfect run in forecasting doom. Jeffodamus.
Not a fair statement. Cargo is down worldwide, not something that is driven from anything related to Jeff.
Old Dec 23, 2013, 2:23 pm

They aren't looking at the underbelly. They fight for access to LHR for 'premium traffic' and then they drop 757s onto it.
Are you suggesting that lots of high-value cargo moves via LHR? It sure sounds like that, and I'm willing to take that bet. Both FRA and CDG move a lot more cargo than LHR while LHR handled a whole lot more passengers.

Passengers - particularly in the premium cabins - are the high value "cargo" moving to and from Heathrow. And given CO's fleet and mix of routes at the time the 752s were absolutely the correct choice.
Old Dec 23, 2013, 3:03 pm

Programs: UA, AA, DL, Hertz, Avis, National, Hyatt, Hilton, SPG, Marriott
Originally Posted by sbm12
Are you suggesting that lots of high-value cargo moves via LHR? It sure sounds like that, and I'm willing to take that bet. Both FRA and CDG move a lot more cargo than LHR while LHR handled a whole lot more passengers.

Passengers - particularly in the premium cabins - are the high value "cargo" moving to and from Heathrow. And given CO's fleet and mix of routes at the time the 752s were absolutely the correct choice.
Further, I doubt there is very much local cargo between EWR and LHR, or between the United States and London in general. If anything, the demand would be for bulk-loaded small packages which is adequately served whether the equipment is 757, 767 or 777. Even still, UA(CO) always had the ability to move containerized freight on EWR-LHR with daily 777 service since the station opened.

Most of the 'heavy' freight volume is probably carried by BA on its own metal for online transfer to its in-house cargo division. Further, as you note, FRA sees about 25% more cargo volume than LHR, which is a reason why BAWC even has regular 748F dedicated freight service to LHR.
Old Dec 23, 2013, 3:29 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: CO 1K-MM
That's really not fair. UA is upgauging EWR-LHR to five daily widebodies during peak travel times.
>2 years late

The 763's aren't about the cargo on LHR, they're about the premium traffic, if there were nothing but 757s they should have done PS style and outfitted some planes with 32C instead of a very low 16C config. They spent tens of millions of dollars on landing slots and then they shove those cheapskate aircraft in, while BA is running 744s, AA 777's VS 747s..
Old Dec 23, 2013, 4:09 pm

Originally Posted by EWR764
Further, I doubt there is very much local cargo between EWR and LHR, or between the United States and London in general. If anything, the demand would be for bulk-loaded small packages which is adequately served whether the equipment is 757, 767 or 777. Even still, UA(CO) always had the ability to move containerized freight on EWR-LHR with daily 777 service since the station opened.

Most of the 'heavy' freight volume is probably carried by BA on its own metal for online transfer to its in-house cargo division. Further, as you note, FRA sees about 25% more cargo volume than LHR, which is a reason why BAWC even has regular 748F dedicated freight service to LHR.
more than 75% of cargo is narrow-body capable, and regardless of who the national carrier is, freight moves between carriers all the time. Therefore, simply because one carrier has one aircraft in a location, movement to another location via a truck is done all the time. Which means AF or EI could very well move a large percentage of the UK market.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.