Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

Singapore Airlines (SQ) award booking experiences using United miles

Old Dec 16, 2013, 1:52 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: WineCountryUA
SQ awards can be booked online but SQ generally does does not release to its *A partners all routes or all cabins -- especially the more premium cases

Archive: Singapore Airlines (SQ) award booking experiences using United miles {Archive}

Print Wikipost

Singapore Airlines (SQ) award booking experiences using United miles

Old May 12, 2019, 9:39 pm

Tried to book Singapore to Hong Kong on SQ with miles. Only gave options of two flights even though Aeroplan is showing all available if using Aeroplan. But at only 25k in C with UA (but United can’t see availability of the flight I want) or 40k in C (and bookable on Aeroplan). Didn’t go through booking but appears bookable with phone agent.
Old May 13, 2019, 1:42 pm

Programs: UA 1K 1.9MM, Hilton Gold, Marriott Gold
Originally Posted by myperks
Tried to book Singapore to Hong Kong on SQ with miles. Only gave options of two flights even though Aeroplan is showing all available if using Aeroplan. But at only 25k in C with UA (but United can’t see availability of the flight I want) or 40k in C (and bookable on Aeroplan). Didn’t go through booking but appears bookable with phone agent.
You saw SQ options bookable on UA???
Old May 13, 2019, 4:16 pm

Originally Posted by chavala

You saw SQ options bookable on UA???
No, with phone agent. He saw two SQ SIN-HKG flights available on the day I want in C but not the specific flight I want. I saw availability first on Aeroplan website before calling in.
Old May 21, 2019, 3:18 pm

Programs: Don't think it matters...
Just curious - Seems the UA award redemption on SQ issue still persists ? Earlier, there was a note while trying to redeem flights on UA website, now that seems to have gone by still don't see any SQ options ?
Old May 21, 2019, 5:17 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K, MR LTT, HH Dia, Amex Plat
Originally Posted by myperks

No, with phone agent. He saw two SQ SIN-HKG flights available on the day I want in C but not the specific flight I want. I saw availability first on Aeroplan website before calling in.
that has not been a problem for some time now. It is the United.com part that is not working. You have to call to get SQ awards ... have been able to do that w/ no issues.
Old May 22, 2019, 5:26 am

Originally Posted by cfischer
that has not been a problem for some time now. It is the United.com part that is not working. You have to call to get SQ awards ... have been able to do that w/ no issues.
If you’ve been able to do that with “No Issues” you’re very lucky!
Old May 22, 2019, 9:56 am

Originally Posted by nycflyer222
After several attempts, was able to book an award on SQ by phone - ticketed! Only J was available, of note..
Originally Posted by cfischer
So should I check SQ site for award flights and then call UA to book those ? I hope we don't need to pay anything additional ?
Old May 22, 2019, 10:14 am

Programs: AS MVP Gold 75K, UA Gold, Marriott LTT, Avis President's Club
Originally Posted by abhilife2001
So should I check SQ site for award flights and then call UA to book those ? I hope we don't need to pay anything additional ?
Don't look for SQ award space via the SQ site. They open more inventory to their own members than their partners. I'd use Aeroplan to look for flights. I saw SQ flights via Aeroplan and called UA and was told they couldn't see it. Just my DP.
Old May 22, 2019, 8:28 pm

Originally Posted by JHake10
Don't look for SQ award space via the SQ site. They open more inventory to their own members than their partners. I'd use Aeroplan to look for flights. I saw SQ flights via Aeroplan and called UA and was told they couldn't see it. Just my DP.
Thanks. Will check aeroplan.
My points are in chase UR, so i can transfer to SQ directly too, but they charge more miles for US - India r/t than UA and that builds up when multiple ppl travelling, but will explore if i get better availability thru SQ.
Old May 22, 2019, 8:44 pm

Programs: AS MVP Gold 75K, UA Gold, Marriott LTT, Avis President's Club
Originally Posted by abhilife2001
Thanks. Will check aeroplan.
My points are in chase UR, so i can transfer to SQ directly too, but they charge more miles for US - India r/t than UA and that builds up when multiple ppl travelling, but will explore if i get better availability thru SQ.
SQ typically doesn't open their long haul award space to Star Alliance. I've seen their long haul flights all of 3 times. However, if you transfer to SQ and book through SQ you'll likely have much better luck.
Old May 22, 2019, 9:43 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AS 75K; UA 1MM; Hyatt Globalist; Marriott LTP; Hilton Diamond (Aspire)
Originally Posted by JHake10
Don't look for SQ award space via the SQ site. They open more inventory to their own members than their partners.
I would say the inventory is different. UA inventory availability can actually be better. But your basic advice is 100% correct.

AV is usually cheaper than AP or UA, but as you note for long-haul J (or F), SQ is in general the only option.
Old May 23, 2019, 12:03 am

Programs: Hyatt Explorist, Hilton Gold, UA
Is it true that SQ award space visible on Aeroplan is again generally available on MP by calling (similar to how it was a couple of years ago)? With not status it would mean once again having to pay the US$25/ticket phone booking charge, but that is better than nothing (and much, much better than having to fly connecting flights on Air India or some Chinese carrier to fly KIX-SIN).
Old May 24, 2019, 10:21 am

I just called the 1K desk over a different issue, but while I had her on the phone I asked about booking SQ awards. She said they can NOT book them and just happened to have that very issue this morning. A customer had a 10 hour delay and she saw the SQ flight available. She said she tried and got reprimanded by her supervisor for wasting time on it because it can't be done. She was very adamant. I would love to know how some people seem to be making this happen.
Old May 24, 2019, 1:57 pm

Programs: Mileage Plus 1K; Marriott Platinum; Hilton Gold
I regularly check this thread in the hope of some return to booking SQ awards, which was one of my favorite ways to spend UA miles.

Today, for the first time, I saw a nuance in the language that United has posted about this problem:

Award travel on Singapore Airlines is temporarily unavailable. Our airline partner is diligently working with us to address this situation.
Note that they claim their airline partner is working diligently with UA to address the situation. There is no mention of how diligently United is working with SQ on the problem.

I think a resolution to the snafu will require both parties to work diligently, and that does not (yet) appear to have occurred.
Old May 24, 2019, 4:33 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AS 75K; UA 1MM; Hyatt Globalist; Marriott LTP; Hilton Diamond (Aspire)
Originally Posted by transportprof
Today, for the first time, I saw a nuance in the language that United has posted about this problem:
It's said that for at least a month.

It's just fake shift the blame language. I personally believe we're back to the same old pricing dispute, rather than the claimed technical problem.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.