Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

"Upgrade certificates (GPUs & RPUs) are useless nowadays" {Archive}

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Feb 27, 2019, 11:55 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: WineCountryUA
Print Wikipost

"Upgrade certificates (GPUs & RPUs) are useless nowadays" {Archive}

Search this Thread

Old Apr 25, 2017, 12:25 pm

Programs: United 1k Hilton Diamond
I'd really like to know what it takes to get a GPU to clear before TOD.

I'm flying SFO-EWR on a PS flight tomorrow, booked weeks ago and GPU applied. 18 seats still available in businessfirst, and as best I can tell no one was upgraded before now as these 18 seats have been there for 5 days.

Seriously, with 18 seats available in first do they need to hold every single one for a TOD upgrade?
Old Apr 25, 2017, 1:33 pm

Programs: UA MM Plat, UA 1MM, Hilton Lifetime Gold, Marriott Gold, Hertz Gold, CLEAR, AS MVP Gold
Originally Posted by TheProton

I'm flying SFO-EWR on a PS flight tomorrow, booked weeks ago and GPU applied. 18 seats still available in businessfirst, and as best I can tell no one was upgraded before now as these 18 seats have been there for 5 days.

Seriously, with 18 seats available in first do they need to hold every single one for a TOD upgrade?
SFO-EWR is one of several notoriously slow (if ever) to clear RPU/GPU's. Numerous up thread complaints about this route. Although I must admit this example is pretty egregious. I have to believe by this time all GS upgrades have cleared!? Consider yourself lucky if you clear by the tomorrow morning. I have had zero luck on getting my RPU/GPU's pulled on this flight.
Old Apr 25, 2017, 2:09 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL PM, UA Gold, WN, Global Entry; +others wherever miles/points are found

Are you on the 77W? They are holding back inventory like crazy, and for the Polaris seats yes I think they do sell an awful lot of $299 to $349 TODs.
Old Apr 25, 2017, 3:25 pm

Programs: UA MM Plat, UA 1MM, Hilton Lifetime Gold, Marriott Gold, Hertz Gold, CLEAR, AS MVP Gold
Originally Posted by findark
Are you on the 77W? They are holding back inventory like crazy, and for the Polaris seats yes I think they do sell an awful lot of $299 to $349 TODs.
Don't you just love when you are sitting on an RPU and at OLCI then send you a TOD....
Old Apr 25, 2017, 3:42 pm

Originally Posted by findark
To be fair,

1. It's not TODs, it's HODs.
2. Considering it's only $599USD one-way for a lot of carriers with lie-flat seats, $299 is seriously not a deal.
Old Apr 25, 2017, 3:53 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL PM, UA Gold, WN, Global Entry; +others wherever miles/points are found
Originally Posted by PaulInTheSky
To be fair,

1. It's not TODs, it's HODs.
2. Considering it's only $599USD one-way for a lot of carriers with lie-flat seats, $299 is seriously not a deal.
Depends on how you look at it. When they want almost $2,000 for a Z fare because the flight is P0 K9 within 7 days, and I can buy a $149 K fare + $299 to sit in J, it could be a very good deal. But no, it's not some mythical steal of a price like a mistake or fare or trick. No TODs are; the closest I've come are $249 Y->F double-upgrades on SFO-IAD.

(As an aside I've just taken to using "TOD" to mean time-of-departure or at-booking upgrades priced using the fee engine.. we don't really have a better term for it.)
Old Apr 25, 2017, 4:25 pm

Programs: UA 1MM (former 1K, Delta Platinum))
I ended up switching from the 77W to the 4pm 757. Not fond of 77W coach. Then, like Dr. Strangelove, my hand somehow clicked on 7A for $299. Been a tough month.

Perhaps I could have done the same earlier, for the private bed on the 77W. I used the day well.

This is the rub: Having an RPU in play hurt me. It had little chance of clearing, but it froze me.

This is where I despise United: The ways in which they deliberately profit from asymmetric information. Money in the bank for them, short, term, but psychologically toxic. It would be so easy for them to make all this a PR coup if they actually gave a fug.
Old Apr 25, 2017, 4:30 pm

Programs: UA GS, Lifetime 4 MM, BA Gold, , Marriott Lifetime Titanium Elite, Marriott Ambassador Elite
I was upgraded on a EWR-SFO flight yesterday. I think 8 people cleared on the flight.

I think United is suffering from the passenger re-accommodation fallout.
Old Apr 25, 2017, 4:55 pm

Originally Posted by Syzygies
This is the rub: Having an RPU in play hurt me. It had little chance of clearing, but it froze me.

This is where I despise United: The ways in which they deliberately profit from asymmetric information. Money in the bank for them, short, term, but psychologically toxic. It would be so easy for them to make all this a PR coup if they actually gave a fug.
LOL, it happens to me all the time, you are taking the words from mouth. You have an RPU in "play" and nothing happens and then suddenly they through a TOD at you.
Old Apr 25, 2017, 5:40 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Gold, 1 MM
Thinking seriously about booking SMF-IAD-BCN and back in September for me and my spouse, as I have a friend willing to gift me 4 GPUs. Saw fleeting R availability for about 24 hours over the weekend on the outbound IAD-BCN (767-400ER) but went from R9 back to R0 quickly before I could commit. No R space available on the return.

Would it be a good strategy to book flights with PN9 and take my chances? Is this at all a useful indicator for GPUs clearing these days? Other suggestions? I can find a few flights with PN9, including the one where the phantom R9 availability came and went. These are all M, Tu, W flights, which is fine. I'd prefer to fly SFO-FRA-BCN on the 747 but can't see any flights with PN9 availability.

Thanks.
Old Apr 25, 2017, 5:48 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by fzwinter
Thinking seriously about booking SMF-IAD-BCN and back in September for me and my spouse, as I have a friend willing to gift me 4 GPUs. Saw fleeting R availability for about 24 hours over the weekend on the outbound IAD-BCN (767-400ER) but went from R9 back to R0 quickly before I could commit. No R space available on the return.

Would it be a good strategy to book flights with PN9 and take my chances? Is this at all a useful indicator for GPUs clearing these days? Other suggestions? I can find a few flights with PN9, including the one where the phantom R9 availability came and went. These are all M, Tu, W flights, which is fine. I'd prefer to fly SFO-FRA-BCN on the 747 but can't see any flights with PN9 availability.

Thanks.
Yes, that's about the best you can do short of actually finding R space. If you're not in a hurry to book I'd keep my eyes out for that R coming back, or other chances. Nothing is as good as a confirmed upgrade.
Old Apr 25, 2017, 10:05 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K, MR LTT, HH Dia, Amex Plat
Originally Posted by MostlyUA
I was upgraded on a EWR-SFO flight yesterday. I think 8 people cleared on the flight.

I think United is suffering from the passenger re-accommodation fallout.
more like 13 on my flight ... 6 at T-36 then another 7 at the gate ... that was with plenty of PN available for days, so add GS to that mix ...
Old Apr 26, 2017, 6:50 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AS 75K; UA 1MM; Hyatt Globalist; Marriott LTP; Hilton Diamond (Aspire)
Would it be a good strategy to book flights with PN9 and take my chances? Is this at all a useful indicator for GPUs clearing these days? Other suggestions? I can find a few flights with PN9, including the one where the phantom R9 availability came and went.
Very good chance R opens back up. But SMF-IAD is a long ways in Y and that's going to be tough to clear.

I'd prefer to fly SFO-FRA-BCN on the 747 but can't see any flights with PN9 availability.
Total crapshoot to upgrade that flight. It's really a challenge to use GPUs TATL ex-SFO. LH SFO-FRA is generally a better bet (but still no guarantees).

AV has a $2000 J fare LAX-BCN.
Old Apr 26, 2017, 7:08 am

Programs: UA 1K 1.45MM, Marriott+SPG Plat, Clear, Nexus, Global Entry and MEX Viajero Confiable
Originally Posted by Syzygies
... United has become the primary source of hostility in my life.........
Wow... No offense but that doesn't say much about your life. No sense in letting UA have so much control over your life. It's a wonderful world... get outside and enjoy it! ^

Last edited by WineCountryUA; Apr 26, 2017 at 11:01 am Reason: repaired quote
Old Apr 26, 2017, 7:21 am

Programs: Marriott Plat, Ua Gold, GE.. Sucker for punishment
Originally Posted by restlessinRNO
While I agree with you, this will become less and less an issue, as UA retires their 3-class B747s and buys more 2-class B787s.
True... But 787s and 777-300s are rare on ORD-Europe.

Watching fra-ord on saturday morning.. 7 Polaris-buisiness and one first.. fingers crossed. My luck on rpus and gpus has been poor lately

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.