Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

"Upgrade certificates (GPUs & RPUs) are useless nowadays" {Archive}

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Feb 27, 2019, 11:55 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: WineCountryUA
Print Wikipost

"Upgrade certificates (GPUs & RPUs) are useless nowadays" {Archive}

Search this Thread

Old Apr 23, 2017, 10:51 pm

Programs: UA 1K; *G, AA Plat
Originally Posted by PrivatePilot
As a GS, these certificates cant be more valuable. Cant get enough of them. In fact, glad to take donations if anyone feels they are useless
Note that 1K certificates are different than GS certificates and clear into different fare classes: PN vs. R.

There's better PN availability than R

But, I agree with you, I use all my certificates and wish I had more.
Old Apr 23, 2017, 11:00 pm

Domestics are only good for upgrading family and friends. I only use them on myself on high demand routes if I see that one will clear instantly.

Unless it's a PS or Hawaiian flight, then I use them on those for myself.

As for GPUs, I use them if I can get a W fare or higher (depending on the region).
Old Apr 24, 2017, 3:08 am

Programs: Most of them
I always use mine up! It helps to be GS though
Old Apr 24, 2017, 9:27 am

Programs: UA MM Plat, UA 1MM, Hilton Lifetime Gold, Marriott Gold, Hertz Gold, CLEAR, AS MVP Gold
Originally Posted by eric.chen3742
I just cleared 3 RPUs 3 days ago, 2 on a EWR-SFO round trip for June, another on a SFO-LAS also in June. I'm doing LAS-OAK on WU, so no RPU for me there.
Just curious what day of travel is that? I am still sitting on 2 RPU's on that route (SFO-EWR-SFO) and 2 on the new PS service SFO-BOS route. I see F is still wide open on both but no R availability yet. While most my travel is pretty restrictive as far as time/dates I do have a little flexibility.

Originally Posted by laxmillenial
Note that 1K certificates are different than GS certificates and clear into different fare classes: PN vs. R.

There's better PN availability than R

But, I agree with you, I use all my certificates and wish I had more.
As a 1K I have been sitting on approx. 18 RPU/GPUs for over six months now. Not a single one has been pulled. I have been throwing them at almost everything I buy from UA. I will say that I don't have the flexibility with my travel dates and times due to work constraints but R space for me seems nonexistent. As I see it being GS has a clear advantage with clearing into PN space. It is what it is.

Last edited by WineCountryUA; Apr 24, 2017 at 1:22 pm Reason: merging consecutive posts by same member -- please use multi-quote
Old Apr 24, 2017, 10:00 am

Originally Posted by nomad420
As a 1K I have been sitting on approx. 18 RPU/GPUs for over six months now. Not a single one has been pulled. I have been throwing them at almost everything I buy from UA. I will say that I don't have the flexibility with my travel dates and times due to work constraints but R space for me seems nonexistent. As I see it being GS has a clear advantage with clearing into PN space. It is what it is.
Are you buying fares last minute? Is it possible that last minute purchases are really hurting your chances? I tend to book 1.5-3 months before my departure date at the lowest fare class offered at that time.
Old Apr 24, 2017, 10:15 am

Programs: UA MM Plat, UA 1MM, Hilton Lifetime Gold, Marriott Gold, Hertz Gold, CLEAR, AS MVP Gold
Are you buying fares last minute? Is it possible that last minute purchases are really hurting your chances? I tend to book 1.5-3 months before my departure date at the lowest fare class offered at that time.
No, same thing, usually about 1.5 to 3 months. I even had two recent TATL flights, SFO_HAM and SFO-FRA that I probably bought 6 months ago not hit (I did BUY the SFO-HAM upgrade last minute). I believe much of the problem is being based out of SFO were GS paxs are a dime a dozen.
Old Apr 24, 2017, 11:45 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL PM, UA Gold, WN, Global Entry; +others wherever miles/points are found
The big differentiator is always day/time of the week. I've cleared RPUs on p.s. (Friday and Saturday nights westbound), and CPUs on things like Thursday noon DCA-ORD and Saturday afternoon IAD-BOS. Ask "does it make sense for a big-money consultant to fly this time?". If the answer is yes, your upgrade is not going to clear.
Old Apr 24, 2017, 12:21 pm

Programs: UA 1MM (former 1K, Delta Platinum))
There are various easy and constructive steps United could take if it wanted.

[1] Admit the value they place on clearing an RPU or GPU rather than upselling the seat at check-in. Forecast their best estimate of the odds of a cert clearing, and offer to apply their valuation of the cert to an upgrade at checkin.

[2] I often can fly any flight in a half day or day window, I just need to get across the country and I'd rather do so in an upgraded seat. Allow us to list alternative flights, and clear us automatically into alternate flights when possible.
Old Apr 24, 2017, 1:48 pm

Just curious what day of travel is that? I am still sitting on 2 RPU's on that route (SFO-EWR-SFO) and 2 on the new PS service SFO-BOS route. I see F is still wide open on both but no R availability yet. While most my travel is pretty restrictive as far as time/dates I do have a little flexibility.
June 2, 6;30 pm out of Newark and a 1am red eye out of SFO on the 17th. I'm GS though so I'm looking for PN inventory.
Old Apr 24, 2017, 2:07 pm

Programs: Marriott Plat, Ua Gold, GE.. Sucker for punishment
Originally Posted by Syzygies

[1] Admit the value they place on clearing an RPU or GPU rather than upselling the seat at check-in. Forecast their best estimate of the odds of a cert clearing, and offer to apply their valuation of the cert to an upgrade at checkin.

[2] I often can fly any flight in a half day or day window, I just need to get across the country and I'd rather do so in an upgraded seat. Allow us to list alternative flights, and clear us automatically into alternate flights when possible.
Get ready for me to be shot down in flames:
[3] Upgrade Business PAX to First to allow space in Business for GPUs before allowing staff to clear wait-list into first.

every-time I have failed to clear a GPU First has had folks clear who were on standby.. Now this does not mean they were staff (AFAIK) but very likely
Old Apr 24, 2017, 2:08 pm

Originally Posted by cyclogenesis
[3] Upgrade Business PAX to First to allow space in Business for GPUs before allowing staff to clear wait-list into first.

every-time I have failed to clear a GPU First has had folks clear who were on standby.. Now this does not mean they were staff (AFAIK) but very likely
Don't they do this? When flights are overbooked, I have seen agents upgrade Business GS and high fare 1K's into First and then clear more upgrades from Economy -> Business
Old Apr 24, 2017, 2:14 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL PM, UA Gold, WN, Global Entry; +others wherever miles/points are found
Don't they do this? When flights are overbooked, I have seen agents upgrade Business GS and high fare 1K's into First and then clear more upgrades from Economy -> Business
But they don't do it if Y is not oversold. NRSAs go out in F and GPUs die in the back.
Old Apr 24, 2017, 3:16 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K, MR LTT, HH Dia, Amex Plat
Buy yourself some Super Lotto tickets at the airport now! I NEVER have had an RPU clear on that route (Well in the past 24 months).
The 6.39 p.m. today shows R3 right now ... not bad
Old Apr 24, 2017, 5:29 pm

Programs: UA 2MM
Originally Posted by cyclogenesis

While I agree with you, this will become less and less an issue, as UA retires their 3-class B747s and buys more 2-class B787s.
Old Apr 24, 2017, 5:40 pm

Originally Posted by Syzygies

Your [2] would be okay from a customer service standpoint, but it would mess with revenue management unless (a) the alternate only cleared in I/IN and not R, or (b) you were willing to pay the difference in Y cabin fare to get the other flight (presuming they'd waive the change fee). You'd also have to waitlist on a separate list from confirmed Y passengers, and would have to have priority after even a non-status confirmed passenger waiting for a MUA.

For that reason, you'd pretty much only be able to confirm upgrades on flights where you can probably get them in advance now and would pay more for the upgrade due to the re-fare, but at least you wouldn't have to gamble on R-class opening on the redeye and could wait to confirm on that flight when it did.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.