Wiki Posts
Search

Anyone else have 2 United Credit Cards?

Search this Thread

Old Nov 19, 2013, 12:42 am
Original Poster

Programs: Silver MileagePlus, Diamond Hilton
Anyone else have 2 United Credit Cards?

Before the merger I had both company's credit cards. Now whenever I look into my wallet I always wonder how crazy it looks that I have 2 credit cards from 1 airline with it. The benefit I see is that one is master card and one is visa so I can always earn miles but wondering if anyone is in the same boat.

Have people cancelled one of the cards since the merger, is there any benefit to have both or will the MasterCard eventually get discontinued since you can't get it now and not renewed when it expires.
Old Nov 19, 2013, 3:20 am

Programs: UA - 1K, Marriott - Gold, Hilton - Gold, Global Entry,
Originally Posted by COEWR2587
Before the merger I had both company's credit cards. Now whenever I look into my wallet I always wonder how crazy it looks that I have 2 credit cards from 1 airline with it. The benefit I see is that one is master card and one is visa so I can always earn miles but wondering if anyone is in the same boat.

Have people cancelled one of the cards since the merger, is there any benefit to have both or will the MasterCard eventually get discontinued since you can't get it now and not renewed when it expires.
I think you are nuts for keeping both if you are paying annual fees on both cards. Mastercard and Visa are both almost universally accepted so there aren't going to be many places that take MC, but not Visa or vice versa. If one was an Amex it might make a little more sense to keep both, but I'd keep whichever one offers better benefits and cancel the other.
Old Nov 19, 2013, 3:42 am

Programs: Hilton-Diamond Lifetime Platinum AA UA, WN-CP, SPG Gold.
The only reason to apply for a new CC is the miles, United miles comes from Ink Sapphire, UA , and many other sources.

Miles is just a way of keeping score.
Old Nov 19, 2013, 4:18 am
Aman 5+ BadgeFour Seasons Contributor Badge

Programs: UA1K, *G & Wife of UA1K MM
We have a UA mastcard and a UA visa. We use one for business expenses and one for personal.

Btw, the idea of having both a mastercard and visa is not a new one. It used to be visa wasn't as widely accepted in international locations (not sure if that is still the case) and american express is still not accepted by a lot of businesses.

Last edited by Ericka; Nov 19, 2013 at 4:56 am
Old Nov 19, 2013, 5:04 am

Programs: Mileage Plan
I have the old select card for the 5k pqms and the club for the club and ability to upgrade mileage tickets.
Old Nov 19, 2013, 5:56 am

Programs: UA 1K 25 years/2MM, Honors LT Diamond, AVIS & Hertz Prez Club
Originally Posted by ASEFlyer
I have the old select card for the 5k pqms and the club for the club and ability to upgrade mileage tickets.
@:-) THIS. ^

Although I have the Presidential Plus rather than the Club.

Funny, both cards I have are no longer marketed, but offer what for me, are better bennies than the current cards.
Old Nov 19, 2013, 9:42 am
Original Poster

The visa is the MileagePlus explorer card being advertised to everyone and their mother. The united master card (from the old continental card) is labeled as MileagePlus Card. Benefits wise, it's the same card right cuz I can't find anything online as it's not offered even though it doesn't expire until 2016.
Old Nov 19, 2013, 9:45 am

Originally Posted by SFO 1K
@:-) THIS. ^

Although I have the Presidential Plus rather than the Club.

Funny, both cards I have are no longer marketed, but offer what for me, are better bennies than the current cards.
Ditto. The old MP Select was one of the better offerings @ $95 IMHO

Altho I also have the exOPP MC, but I've been grandfathered in at no fee since it was a regular OnePass card back in the early 2000's with 1mi/$2 for free. Kept getting upgraded and kept fee free. Give the club passes to thankful friends or family.
Old Nov 19, 2013, 9:58 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

The visa is the MileagePlus explorer card being advertised to everyone and their mother. The united master card (from the old continental card) is labeled as MileagePlus Card. Benefits wise, it's the same card right cuz I can't find anything online as it's not offered even though it doesn't expire until 2016.
I'm not sure what you're getting at. My United MasterCard is labeled MileagePlus Explorer. It began life as a Continental OnePass Plus MasterCard.
Old Nov 19, 2013, 10:00 am

Programs: Hotels.com WR Silver ;)
I still have the select for the double miles on dining (PQM's have never mattered to me) and the Explorer for free bags (I'm not an elite, thus the PQM's never mattering). Perhaps though I don't get enough miles out of the double miles to justify spending a second annual fee though. I should probably cancel the Select and then get the AA card that is the equivalent of the Explorer.
Old Nov 19, 2013, 10:20 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by kale73
I'm not sure what you're getting at. My United MasterCard is labeled MileagePlus Explorer. It began life as a Continental OnePass Plus MasterCard.
My Continental One Pass turned into this card which I can't find any info on in terms of benefits I'm wondering if I should cancel one of the united cards or keep 1 visa and 1 MasterCard for merchant purpose.

[IMG][/IMG]
Old Nov 19, 2013, 10:35 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

My Continental One Pass turned into this card which I can't find any info on in terms of benefits I'm wondering if I should cancel one of the united cards or keep 1 visa and 1 MasterCard for merchant purpose.

[IMG][/IMG]
That's interesting. Here's mine.

Have you called Chase to inquire?

ETA: Mine also has "WORLD ELITE" printed beneath the hologram on the back of the card. I'm not sure what the significance of that is.

Last edited by kale73; Nov 19, 2013 at 10:39 am Reason: added comment
Old Nov 19, 2013, 11:03 am

Programs: DL Plat, UA Plat 1MM, AS MVP, Hyatt Discoverist, Avis Presidents Club, Hertz President's Circle
I have two

1) I have a Chase MP Visa Signature -- with 5K EQM annually. This card is no longer available, and the 5K EQM is something I use (NEED!) almost every year, so I don't want to give this up.
2) I have a United Club Card -- which I got last year for a first year free offer, then cancelled when the fee came up. Recently got another first year free (pro tip - apply in person at a Chase Bank) so did the card again.
Old Nov 19, 2013, 11:23 am

Programs: UA 1K, Marriott Gold, HHonors Gold
Originally Posted by ASEFlyer
Got the Select Card in 2011 (helps me with 5K EQM on united spend) and 5K RDM each year. Just got the Explorer with 35K RDM
Old Nov 19, 2013, 5:02 pm

Currently I hold the United Explorer card. When that comes up for renewal, I will cancel it, and apply for the United Business card. I'll hold that for a year, and then cancel and reapply for the Explorer. Quite a bit of savings on annual fees, plus the opportunity for new bonuses.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.