Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

Changes to MileagePlus Award and Upgrade Policies - Eff. 3-Feb-2014

Old Nov 1, 2013, 4:08 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: aacharya
Moderator Note: Please keep the wiki post limited to just the facts.

New UA Award/Upgrade Chart (vs. Current Chart)

Changes took effect for travel booked starting February 3, 2014. See UA Insider's post linked here for more info about the date change. http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/22263212-post2366.html

Awards with *A partners now cost more than similar awards flown only on UA metal.
  • F awards on partners went up 40-80%
  • J awards on partners went up 20-40%
  • F and J awards on UA metal (or mixed carriers where UA metal is in premium cabin followed by partner segment in lower class) as well some Y awards increased by 5-20% (US to Europe in F up 19%, US to Middle East in F up 20% for example)

See below for the round-trip increases on partner metal :
US ✈ Southern South America: +10,000 J, +5,000 F

US ✈ Europe: +40,000 J, +85,000 F

US ✈ Northern/Central/Southern Africa: +40,000 J, +110,000 F

US ✈ Middle East: +5,000 Y, +40,000 J, +130,000 F

US ✈ Central Asia/India: +5,000 Y, +40,000 J, +120,000 F

US ✈ South Asia: +15,000 Y, +40,000 J, +120,000 F

US ✈ North Asia: +5,000 Y, +40,000 J, +100,000 F

US ✈ Japan: +5,000 Y, +30,000 J, +85,000 F

US ✈ Oceania: +30,000 J, +70,000 F

US ✈ Australia/New Zealand: +25,000 J, +100,000 F

RTW: +20,000 Y, +90,000 J, +100,000 F

Changes to upgrade policy for intra-Asia and northern South America flights
  1. Complimentary Premier Upgrades and instant upgrades are not applicable
  2. Regional Premier Upgrades (for any fare class) and Global Premier Upgrades (for flights booked in fare class Z, P, S, T, L, K, G or N) can no longer be requested on or after November 1, 2013
  3. There is no co-pay exemption for MileagePlus Upgrade Awards requested on or after November 1, 2013
  4. The above changes do not apply to Copa-operated flights.

Questions and Answers

Q: If I book an award in January 2014 and then make changes in February or beyond (in routing, airline, origin, destination, etc), will it be repriced according to new mileage requirements, or will I keep the old pricing on that ticket?
Originally Posted by UA Insider
Our existing change process will apply. Changes to awards that require a change in date do not result in a change to the award price. Any other change will require an add/collect in miles and fees for changes or cancellations will still apply as per our existing policies.
Additional details on changing tickets booked prior to 2/3/14 per UA Insider:
Changes that will not trigger a re-price for itineraries ticketed before February 3, 2014 include:
  • Date/time (cabin, region, and award type can't change)
  • Carrier on one or more segments (cabin, region, and award type cant change)
  • Origin/Destination within the same regions (carrier and cabin cant change)
Full details are in post #2588 http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/22283437-post2588.html

Q: Do these rates apply for tickets purchased after Feb 3 or for travel after Feb 3? That is,if one purchases a ticket now, to fly on Mar 15, will that be new or old pricing?
The new award pricing takes effect for bookings made on or after Feb 3, 2014 for all future travel dates. If you purchased a ticket prior to then for travel on March 15, and no changes are made to the itinerary, the current pricing will apply.
Q: How will award pricing apply to mixed-carrier Saver Awards?
Updated handling for mixed UA-Partner United/partner award itineraries: As we shared with the initial announcement, the Star Alliance/Partner partner award pricing will apply to Business or First awards for itineraries that include at least one flight segment operated by a MileagePlus partner carrier in Business or First.

However, as a customer benefit we have made an exception for most itineraries which require connecting onto a MileagePlus/Star partner in First or Business for a short distance. Specifically, if a United/Copa award itinerary contains a connecting segment on a MileagePlus/Star partner that is wholly within one MileagePlus award region, then the United award price will apply.
  • For example: IAD-FRA in United BusinessFirst connecting to FRA-FCO in Lufthansa Business, will be priced at the United mileage award amount.
  • Note that this exception will not apply to a few specific regions and routings, such as intra-Africa connecting segments and certain fifth-freedom routes (e.g. BKK-KUL operated by Lufthansa)
(reverted to J.Edward's rev)
Print Wikipost

Changes to MileagePlus Award and Upgrade Policies - Eff. 3-Feb-2014

Old Feb 4, 2014, 6:22 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Pretty sure this one is wrong:

Looks like the UA-metal award C price but on partner Y long-haul and C short-haul.
Originally Posted by JetAway
But I wouldn't be surprised to see the "phantom" aspect disappear as demand dries up because of the increased redemption rates.
Phantom space had nothing to do with demand and everything to do with two different reservations systems being used on the back-end, one for inventory searching and another for booking.

Unless LH changes its policies about releasing the space I would not expect that problem to change.
Old Feb 4, 2014, 6:25 am

Programs: UA Plat, 2MM
MP, RIP

MP has died. What was the best MP program in the airline industry has died. The death was a result of J. Smisek. He ruined an airline, now he has killed the best MP program.

Jeff told us that the other *A airlines all decided on the same day to charge UA flyers more miles. LOL. I spoke to agents at other *A airlines and they said their redemption values did not go up. It seems like it was just UA. Of course Jeff was 100% honest with us.

I did searches of many international routes I regularly fly for award availability. It was there at a much higher rate for the premium cabins. Guess what airline did not have availability? It was UA. So Jeff has raised the award redemption amount and pulled UA inventory. Maybe for those who fly economy it does not make much of a difference, but it does fore Premium.

One more Jeff action, which we know you will love.

OK, all you Jeff defenders tell me how this latest action by him is a great thing and how wrong I am to dare to criticize Jeff.
Old Feb 4, 2014, 6:50 am

Originally Posted by sbm12
Pretty sure this one is wrong:

Looks like the UA-metal award C price but on partner Y long-haul and C short-haul.

Phantom space had nothing to do with demand and everything to do with two different reservations systems being used on the back-end, one for inventory searching and another for booking.

Unless LH changes its policies about releasing the space I would not expect that problem to change.
My point was that lack of demand may focus LH's attention of fixing the problem, whatever it is.
Old Feb 4, 2014, 6:55 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Originally Posted by JetAway
My point was that lack of demand may focus LH's attention of fixing the problem, whatever it is.
I don't believe the problem is one LH has created nor one they intend to address in any way.
Old Feb 4, 2014, 7:01 am

Programs: Honors Gold, Marriott Gold, SPG Gold
I don't believe the problem is one LH has created nor one they intend to address in any way.
So before we start blaming games, is there a reliable database to look for real available O class seats that I can look up, before I keep calling United every hour or so? BTW, Credit goes to the Premier Desk who answers each call less than 5 seconds.
Old Feb 4, 2014, 7:02 am

Programs: UA 1K, Marriott Gold, HHonors Gold
What are some of the dates and locations you are searching for? Maybe we can replicate it.
Old Feb 4, 2014, 7:05 am
Company Representative, United Airlines
Original Poster

Hi everyone,

The updated Saver and Standard Award mileage requirements are now in effect, and I have a few more details to share:

Updated handling for mixed UA-Partner United/partner award itineraries: As we shared with the initial announcement, the Star Alliance/Partner partner award pricing will apply to Business or First awards for itineraries that include at least one flight segment operated by a MileagePlus partner carrier in Business or First.

However, as a customer benefit we have made an exception for most itineraries which require connecting onto a MileagePlus/Star partner in First or Business for a short distance. Specifically, if a United/Copa award itinerary contains a connecting segment on a MileagePlus/Star partner that is wholly within one MileagePlus award region, then the United award price will apply.
  • For example: IAD-FRA in United BusinessFirst connecting to FRA-FCO in Lufthansa Business, will be priced at the United mileage award amount.
  • Note that this exception will not apply to a few specific regions and routings, such as intra-Africa connecting segments and certain fifth-freedom routes (e.g. BKK-KUL operated by Lufthansa)
Change clarification for itineraries booked before February 3: Many of you have also been asking about what kinds of itinerary changes will re-trigger a re-price to the new award chart, and I can share some additional follow-up details about that. As a reminder, the existing change process will apply, and any change that requires an award to re-price will require an add/collect of the additional miles under the new award price structure. Fees for change/cancel will still apply per our existing policies. Changes that will not trigger a re-price for itineraries ticketed before February 3, 2014 include:
  • Date/time (cabin, region, and award type cant change)
Aaron Goldberg
Sr. Manager - Customer Experience Planning
United Airlines
Old Feb 4, 2014, 7:12 am

Programs: UA 1K
Change clarification for itineraries booked before February 3: Many of you have also been asking about what kinds of itinerary changes will re-trigger a re-price to the new award chart, and I can share some additional follow-up details about that. As a reminder, the existing change process will apply, and any change that requires an award to re-price will require an add/collect of the additional miles under the new award price structure. Fees for change/cancel will still apply per our existing policies. Changes that will not trigger a re-price for itineraries ticketed before February 3, 2014 include:
  • Date/time (cabin, region, and award type can’t change)
  • Carrier on one or more segments (cabin, region, and award type can’t change)
  • Origin/Destination within the same regions (carrier and cabin can’t change)
Thanks for checking in.

If I understand correctly
(1) People who booked a UA GlobalFirst segment IAD-FRA may change to Lufthansa First IAD-FRA without a reprice, but
(2) People who booked a LH Business IAD-FRA segment, on a trip otherwise booked in the F cabin, may *not* change to LH F IAD-FRA without a reprice.

Is this about right? We got some notification that this would be the policy on roughly Feb 2, when phone agents read us this written policy, but I don't think we otherwise got advance notice of this subtlety. I think we might have made different decisions (booking IAD-FRA in UA F instead of BOS-FRA in LH J) if we had been told that this was the plan. (I don't mean to sound petulant here — we really do appreciate getting all this information and we know we're getting it as far in advance as is possible.)

Have you heard this from LH?

Programs: BA Gold, B6 Mosiac, VS, AA, DL (and a legacy UA 2MM)
Just checked SFO<->LHR in C and F. Lots of availability in March & April, then almost none through Sept. Then lots in October onward. SFO is a popular vacation destination for Brits. Not sure what's changed here - isn't this pattern normal? Try Virgin Atlantic and BA on the same routes - the same or worse..

What routes are you checking?
Old Feb 4, 2014, 7:21 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K
Have they loaded the rebooking rules into the system?

This morning I get the "can't process" message when I try to rebook an award flight, but when I ask for a new itin for the same dates/destination I'm seeing all kinds of inventory that wasn't there a few days ago. Looks like you can book new itins, but not yet changes?
Old Feb 4, 2014, 7:25 am

Programs: Honors Gold, Marriott Gold, SPG Gold
Originally Posted by mherdeg
Thanks for checking in.

If I understand correctly
(1) People who booked a UA GlobalFirst segment IAD-FRA may change to Lufthansa First IAD-FRA without a reprice, but
(2) People who booked a LH Business IAD-FRA segment, on a trip otherwise booked in the F cabin, may *not* change to LH F IAD-FRA without a reprice.

Is this about right? We got some notification that this would be the policy on roughly Feb 2, when phone agents read us this written policy, but I don't think we otherwise got advance notice of this subtlety. I think we might have made different decisions (booking IAD-FRA in UA F instead of BOS-FRA in LH J) if we had been told that this was the plan. (I don't mean to sound petulant here we really do appreciate getting all this information and we know we're getting it as far in advance as is possible.)
A subsequent question is that I have been trying to change my reservation involving: BKK-FRA-IAD with TG O and LH I. If LH O becomes available on FRA-IAD (on Feb 16), a ticket will be repriced? did I understand that correctly? If the rule was clear a few days ago, I could have booked myself on UA O FRA-IAD.
Old Feb 4, 2014, 7:26 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K, Marriott Plat, Hilton Diamond, Hertz PC
Originally Posted by TonyBurr

Jeff told us that the other *A airlines all decided on the same day to charge UA flyers more miles. LOL. I spoke to agents at other *A airlines and they said their redemption values did not go up. It seems like it was just UA. Of course Jeff was 100% honest with us.

Guess what airline did not have “availability”? It was UA. So Jeff has raised the award redemption amount and pulled UA inventory.

OK, all you Jeff defenders tell me how this latest action by him is a great thing and how wrong I am to dare to criticize Jeff.
I will not defend Jeff at all - the new redemptions are awful - but I do defend accuracy, as this forum is worse than yahoo.com these days with uninformed comments.

1. He did not say the rest of *A was increasing mileage redemption requirements. What he said was that UA had to balance raising redemptions, or starting to charge fuel surcharges, as they were paying *A partners more.

2. There is/was a systemwide issue for UA award ticketing. As others have noted, what routes/dates were you looking for? US-EU in summer wasn't available before or after February 3.

Last edited by aacharya; Feb 4, 2014 at 7:33 am
Old Feb 4, 2014, 7:29 am

Thanks Aaron

The clarifications are appreciated.

For example: IAD-FRA in United BusinessFirst connecting to FRA-FCO in Lufthansa Business, will be priced at the United mileage award amount.
This strikes me as a massive victory for common sense! And given the nature of the changes, a relatively customer "friendly" move!

Changes that will not trigger a re-price for itineraries ticketed before February 3, 2014 include:
(Emphasis mine)
Nice news...I have set a reminder for T-14!
Old Feb 4, 2014, 7:32 am

Programs: UA GS
I don't understand how you can change carrier on one segment (point 2), but then also change origin/destination with the same region (point 3). Doesn't this mean you could change the carrier first, then change the Origin or destination, as long as in the same region?

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.